First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Boston Marathon explosions
Posted 4/16/13

bmoreravens25 wrote:

Was watching the news eatting dinner when I saw that the 8yr old boys Mom had injuries to her head and that the boys sister had lost her leg. I started to tear up and choke on my food as a family filled with joy waiting for their dad to cross the finish line had a joyous day turn to tragedy. God Bless that family, the family of the young women who lost her life and the other lost life, and every other family and individual affected by this horrific experience. To the city of Boston and those affected be strong during these terrible trying times but know this nation is strong and we are there for you.


Yeah, the sadness of what happened is really starting to hit me too. I saw some pictures of the bombing yesterday and in one of the pictures there was a girl lying on the ground. She just looked completely lifeless and her eyes were wide open. Today they announced the name of the second person who passed away in the attack and showed a picture of her. It was the same girl I saw that picture of yesterday and it just really hit me. I don't want to watch the news anymore because it's just really all too sad. The more I hear about it the worse it turns out the bombing actually was.
29135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Watching CR
Online
Posted 4/16/13
My Computer Apps teacher was there because she participated in the marathon. She was afraid because she didn't know what was going on...
16692 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/16/13
I'm not an apolitical person. I have strong political beliefs but I always try hard to listen to opposing political opinions. BUT I always take an apolitical stance on "tragedies" -- What I mean: I don't use tragedies to fuel my political opinions; I don't play the "I told you so" game, the blame game, or the conspiracy game. Any political agenda being thrown around is likely to be fueled by divisiveness, derision, or the hope of using people's charged feelings as a springboard for passing legislature. I don't want to take part in that.

I bow my head and pray for the people harmed, for resolution for their families, and for support in such hard times. That is as far as I go, and as far as I will go on the issue of the Boston Marathon bombing - I hope some people, in the middle of debating policies on CR, have at least recognized the human condition following this tragedy before using it as a plus for the credibility of their political opinion.
14201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The Lone Star State
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

Karkarov wrote:

I am only going to post this once, so everyone please read this carefully.

If I see one more post in this thread making light of the event, insinuating it is fake, or trying to push a political agenda while posting pictures of the scene of the explosions it will not be tolerated. This is a tragic event were innocent people lost their lives participating in an athletic competition that is known world wide and has been held for years. If you have nothing respectful to say about it then say nothing.



Asymmetrical warfare tactics like this are used all the time in the Mideast and Africa, and I've NEVER seen 60 hours of continuous news coverage on them in the west because no gives a Foxtrot when it's overseas and are not direct party, so I hope you are not expecting anything except "horrifying/tragedy recall" essays. When an IED detonates, this is nearly a textbook example of what happens. Read some casualty reports from Iraq and Afghanistan, the ones that have similar numbers are similar situations so just think about that. American civilians are not acclimated to this.

MY point of view based off MY experiences Gospodin Karkarov, take it or leave it. I have more I would like to say, however those topics most likely would be over the line.
6078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / LOST TRIBE OF SHA...
Offline
Posted 4/16/13
Well, America hardly ever airs anything about foreign countries, plus they hardly air real news from within America.
6215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

HikariHaru wrote:

I heard that one of the victims was a 8 year old girl =(
My heart goes out to her family and the other families as well <3


The victim was actually an 8 year old boy. My sentiments are the same though my heart goes out to his as wellas all the other families that were affected by this tragedy.
6078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / LOST TRIBE OF SHA...
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

Tipsyyy wrote:

I'm not an apolitical person. I have strong political beliefs but I always try hard to listen to opposing political opinions. BUT I always take an apolitical stance on "tragedies" -- What I mean: I don't use tragedies to fuel my political opinions; I don't play the "I told you so" game, the blame game, or the conspiracy game. Any political agenda being thrown around is likely to be fueled by divisiveness, derision, or the hope of using people's charged feelings as a springboard for passing legislature. I don't want to take part in that.



The latter is actually plausible, if they had the audacity to try to put Operation Northwood in action.
Moderator XIV
67188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

ghostwarrior88 wrote:
Asymmetrical warfare tactics like this are used all the time in the Mideast and Africa, and I've NEVER seen 60 hours of continuous news coverage on them in the west because no gives a Foxtrot when it's overseas and are not direct party, so I hope you are not expecting anything except "horrifying/tragedy recall" essays. When an IED detonates, this is nearly a textbook example of what happens. Read some casualty reports from Iraq and Afghanistan, the ones that have similar numbers are similar situations so just think about that. American civilians are not acclimated to this.

MY point of view based off MY experiences Gospodin Karkarov, take it or leave it. I have more I would like to say, however those topics most likely would be over the line.


I have a question. What does any of that have to do with showing respect for a bombing at a friendly competition that saw the deaths of innocent civilians and hundreds of injured? The answer... absolutely nothing.

This isn't a thread about politics, religion, media bias, the war on terror, misuse of IED's, or anything else. It is a thread about a tragic bombing in Boston.

Keep the politics out of it.

That said you want to make a thread about a bombing in the Middle East or Africa, feel free. When someone goes into that thread with disrespectful comments that make light of the issue and the people who died you will find I will come down just as hard there as I have here.
32460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Pluto
Offline
Posted 4/17/13

Karkarov wrote:


ghostwarrior88 wrote:
Asymmetrical warfare tactics like this are used all the time in the Mideast and Africa, and I've NEVER seen 60 hours of continuous news coverage on them in the west because no gives a Foxtrot when it's overseas and are not direct party, so I hope you are not expecting anything except "horrifying/tragedy recall" essays. When an IED detonates, this is nearly a textbook example of what happens. Read some casualty reports from Iraq and Afghanistan, the ones that have similar numbers are similar situations so just think about that. American civilians are not acclimated to this.

MY point of view based off MY experiences Gospodin Karkarov, take it or leave it. I have more I would like to say, however those topics most likely would be over the line.


I have a question. What does any of that have to do with showing respect for a bombing at a friendly competition that saw the deaths of innocent civilians and hundreds of injured? The answer... absolutely nothing.

This isn't a thread about politics, religion, media bias, the war on terror, misuse of IED's, or anything else. It is a thread about a tragic bombing in Boston.

Keep the politics out of it.

That said you want to make a thread about a bombing in the Middle East or Africa, feel free. When someone goes into that thread with disrespectful comments that make light of the issue and the people who died you will find I will come down just as hard there as I have here.


The way the OP introduced the thread, invited political opinion. This thread should've been just a place to offer condolences.
18409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / with Ashy Larry r...
Online
Posted 4/17/13
I have seen enough death and destruction in person to know that unless you experience it...you have no idea.
Human life has been taken. Reflect, cry, or just plain don't care. Just be thankful it wasn't you. It could just
have easily been me. You weren't injured and neither was I.

But if it was you.......would you give a damn about the politics of it?
20947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/17/13 , edited 4/17/13
1:03 PM ET

- CNN is reporting a possible ID on a suspect: "Possible suspect identified in Boston investigation; authorities believe that they have identified a suspect."

Only CNN is reporting this at the moment. No cross confirmation yet.

/Edit: The Boston Globe is chiming in on this also so it might have legs: [ https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/324569325308620800 ]



Looks like 4chan's earlier efforts might be paying off.

1:53 PM ET:

- Video Points Investigators Toward Suspect in Boston Bombings
- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us/boston-investigation-moves-into-third-day.html

BOSTON — Investigators have found video footage of a man that they believe may have planted the deadly bombs at the Boston Marathon, a person briefed on the matter said Wednesday, saying that they had pinpointed the image on video that was captured shortly before the blast.


/Edit2: Now CNN is reporting that an arrest has been made in connection with the bombing, but no other news agency is reporting this. No cross confirmation from other sources yet.

/Edit3: Reuters reporting no arrest has been made contradicting CNN's earlier report: [ https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/324589083559092224 ]. Conflicting reports are typical for this type of story. Either someone is lagging or someone reported an unsubstantiated rumor.



Boston police now saying "no arrests have been made" in connection with the bombing. Looks like CNN pushed an unsubstantiated rumor. [https://twitter.com/Boston_Police/status/324591574807891968]

Moderator XIV
67188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 4/17/13

shuyi000 wrote:
Fuark...!


Congratulations, you just earned a 2 week ban.
Posted 4/17/13

auto44e wrote:
The way the OP introduced the thread, invited political opinion. This thread should've been just a place to offer condolences.


Mayday, Mayday!
66794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ???????? ?? ?????
Offline
Posted 4/17/13

ghostwarrior88 wrote:


Karkarov wrote:

I am only going to post this once, so everyone please read this carefully.

If I see one more post in this thread making light of the event, insinuating it is fake, or trying to push a political agenda while posting pictures of the scene of the explosions it will not be tolerated. This is a tragic event were innocent people lost their lives participating in an athletic competition that is known world wide and has been held for years. If you have nothing respectful to say about it then say nothing.



Asymmetrical warfare tactics like this are used all the time in the Mideast and Africa, and I've NEVER seen 60 hours of continuous news coverage on them in the west because no gives a Foxtrot when it's overseas and are not direct party, so I hope you are not expecting anything except "horrifying/tragedy recall" essays. When an IED detonates, this is nearly a textbook example of what happens. Read some casualty reports from Iraq and Afghanistan, the ones that have similar numbers are similar situations so just think about that. American civilians are not acclimated to this.

MY point of view based off MY experiences Gospodin Karkarov, take it or leave it. I have more I would like to say, however those topics most likely would be over the line.



All I have to do is point to what the media overseas thinks of it. They could care less. Those very countries you mention have already rejoiced and stated how they feel about it. So why even bother trying to ask why America pays very little attention to their affairs?

Why is it always America who has to come give special attention to everything happening in everywhere else in the world yet it's some over-blown big deal with America covers it on their own territory?
4232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / TitleTown
Offline
Posted 4/17/13
I work a mile or so in Boston from where the bombing happened. I didn't know about it until I saw it on the local news site 10 minutes after it happened. I'm sure I speak for the few people on here that was in the city Monday, it really makes you scared and unsure the rest of the day. You aren't sure what is safe anymore, you are scared to get on the train home, you are looking everywhere for anything off and you feel mad/sad on top of it. At work Tuesday it was a matter of reality setting in that it actually happened. Today I went out to lunch and saw alot of people out enjoying the nice weather. The feeling was more normal and relaxed. We are a tough crowd in Boston so we will bounce back.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.