Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Red Data Girl Discussions
19879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 6/10/13

hpulley wrote:

6 novels! I have all six. Rushed indeed in 12 episodes. 24 would have been better.


Are they licensed for the US?
64457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
So, someone tell me if I should watch this. I said yes/maybe during pre-season selections but never got around to it.

Enlighten me in one sentence, please, thank you
19227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
miyuki ish a wuss ...

44313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 6/10/13 , edited 6/10/13

shaunj07 wrote:


hpulley wrote:

6 novels! I have all six. Rushed indeed in 12 episodes. 24 would have been better.


Are they licensed for the US?


No. hpulley reads and speaks Japanese.


AnimeKami wrote:

So, someone tell me if I should watch this. I said yes/maybe during pre-season selections but never got around to it.

Enlighten me in one sentence, please, thank you :D


I am enjoying it tremendously and would suggest that you watch it, then re-watch the episode a day or two later to catch the subtle clues that you might have missed the first time, then go on to the next episode.
25284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F
Offline
Posted 6/12/13 , edited 6/12/13
Just started watching it, finished through episode three. Seemed confusing at first, but I'm kind of beginning to understand.... Izumiko is to be possessed by a spirit/female god, I think? From reading a few pages in this thread, it seems that the show might get more confusing...

I do like the art and animation, though.
51283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 6/12/13 , edited 6/12/13
This series is a bit interesting and I like watching it but I feel a lot of things are rushed , just like hpulley said since she read the 6 novels.

IT got a bit confusing when they introduced the new characters who were the siblings becuase I feel that part is important becuase it lead to us seeing some her abilities for the first time and the anatgonist in the school was not developed very well .

I like the last episode becuase she is starying to really express her feelings which is affecting her abilities.

I too like the animation in this anime.
53838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Online
Posted 6/13/13
This isn't one that I'm enjoying very much, but it isn't bad either. The idea is interesting, but based on what others have said, it is fairly rushed. In particular, the characterization hasn't been done very well, and a number of character designs are too similar. On the plus side, the animation is pretty good, and the story is relatively original.

I've stuck with it for 11 episodes, so it is entertaining enough.
43389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 6/13/13
They still have more than the final entire novel to go with just one episode! Big rushed ending or anime only or needs an OVA/disc only episode I don't know, haven't watched 12 yet (was out on Nico Nico already but I will wait for it next week on Funimation).
44313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 6/13/13
@deadpanditto - Which character designs do you find too similar? I haven't found there to be any that are similar that are not meant to be similar.


As I've said before, if you watch carefully you will understand what is going on. Rewatching helps, because there are some rather subtle hints.


I love the contrast in the discussions of this show vs Gargantia. Over at Gargantia there was a whole bunch of hate over the info dump in episode 9. People virtually screamed Show, don't tell! Bad writing!!! Here we have the opposite. The show uses that mantra in almost every episode. Subtle visual cues; casual conversations that have meaning beyond what they seem; people talking to Izumiko as if she knew what the heck was going on, therefore revealing bits of information, but in an incomplete manner so we have to piece it together; all ways of showing, not telling. Sure, they could have put in tons of exposition where the details of the plot are laid bare for all to see, but then people would call it boring. As it is, there is a constant atmosphere of tension and anticipation in the show, with an edge of creepiness about many of the characters, even the ones that you are supposed to like. That makes it a fun watch.

It would have been nice if they could have done more episodes, but, frankly, people are saying that it is too slow as it is. If this show was 24 episodes, people would be screaming that nothing ever happens, there is no action, etc... By compressing the story into one cour, they keep the pace from getting too slow. It is not an inherently fast paced story to begin with. I haven't read the novels, so I am not aware of how much they have skipped, but from what I've been told, they have been very true to the novels, in terms of the story being told.

From what I have read on other forums, it seems that they are still "inside" book 5 after episode 11. Somehow, I doubt that they will do an entire novel in one episode, so that leaves the possibility of an OVA set or movie to finish the story of the novels. (At which point, people will get the longer running time for 6 novels that they were wanting.) I don't know that they are not going to finish the story with episode 12, and I am steadfastly waiting for the HD feed to watch it. I will not succumb to the lure of the quick and easy fix... I hope.
434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 6/13/13

Zensunni wrote:

@deadpanditto - Which character designs do you find too similar? I haven't found there to be any that are similar that are not meant to be similar.



I saw similar character designs from Tari Tari and Hanasaku Iroha. So maybe he's referring to character designs from other P.A. Works anime~

--------------------------------------------------------------

I really enjoyed the 12-Episode ride but I want more~ 6 novels animated in 12 episodes is definitely rushed. Should have been longer.
It isn't perfect but this will remain my top anime for this season.
53838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Online
Posted 6/13/13

Zensunni wrote:

@deadpanditto - Which character designs do you find too similar? I haven't found there to be any that are similar that are not meant to be similar.



Yes, I understand it is intentional for certain characters. For others, I find there is a generic quality that I don't find appealing. But that's just my preference for character design, and I'll leave it at that.


Zensunni wrote:
I love the contrast in the discussions of this show vs Gargantia. Over at Gargantia there was a whole bunch of hate over the info dump in episode 9. People virtually screamed Show, don't tell! Bad writing!!! Here we have the opposite. The show uses that mantra in almost every episode. Subtle visual cues; casual conversations that have meaning beyond what they seem; people talking to Izumiko as if she knew what the heck was going on, therefore revealing bits of information, but in an incomplete manner so we have to piece it together; all ways of showing, not telling. Sure, they could have put in tons of exposition where the details of the plot are laid bare for all to see, but then people would call it boring. As it is, there is a constant atmosphere of tension and anticipation in the show, with an edge of creepiness about many of the characters, even the ones that you are supposed to like. That makes it a fun watch.


I agree for the most part. My problem is that I don't find the characters compelling. Rather, I find them annoying, but I tend to have that problem with coming-of-age stories, which is how I'd categorize this show.

44313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 6/13/13 , edited 6/13/13

deadpanditto wrote:


Zensunni wrote:
I love the contrast in the discussions of this show vs Gargantia. Over at Gargantia there was a whole bunch of hate over the info dump in episode 9. People virtually screamed Show, don't tell! Bad writing!!! Here we have the opposite. The show uses that mantra in almost every episode. Subtle visual cues; casual conversations that have meaning beyond what they seem; people talking to Izumiko as if she knew what the heck was going on, therefore revealing bits of information, but in an incomplete manner so we have to piece it together; all ways of showing, not telling. Sure, they could have put in tons of exposition where the details of the plot are laid bare for all to see, but then people would call it boring. As it is, there is a constant atmosphere of tension and anticipation in the show, with an edge of creepiness about many of the characters, even the ones that you are supposed to like. That makes it a fun watch.


I agree for the most part. My problem is that I don't find the characters compelling. Rather, I find them annoying, but I tend to have that problem with coming-of-age stories, which is how I'd categorize this show.


Ah... Yeah, coming of age stories are one of my favorite sub-genres. I can see how that would cause a problem with this one...

I absolutely love the characters, especially the main pair.


I also really like Mel Kishida's character designs... (Original Character Design for this show, Hanasaku Iroha, So Ra No Wo To, and Kamisama no Memochou)
43389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 6/19/13 , edited 6/19/13
Well, that's the end... or is it???


Still a cute ending even though they skipped things by leaps and bounds.
32399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 6/19/13

Zensunni wrote:

Ah... Yeah, coming of age stories are one of my favorite sub-genres. I can see how that would cause a problem with this one...

I absolutely love the characters, especially the main pair.


I also really like Mel Kishida's character designs... (Original Character Design for this show, Hanasaku Iroha, So Ra No Wo To, and Kamisama no Memochou)


Makes me think of the thing that really struck me in this show, all the way to the end. Usually middle- or highschool kids in anime really don't strike me as being actually *kids* (or juveniles if you prefer), and RDG has that in spades.

Both of the main characters' attitudes to their admittedly unusual circumstances struck me as more true than anything in a long time.
22834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Watching CR
Online
Posted 6/19/13
It was animated beautifully but I think the substance of the show was an "ehh" for me... It was good but it wasn't great than I expected it to be...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.