First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you generally consider the characters in an anime as Caucasian, Asian, or just as something else?
13477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 4/16/13
I personally think that they are really neither. The characters just seem to be a different race of their own.

My friends think that they are caucasian because of the hair color in most of the anime.

My African American friend clearly thinks that the African American characters are African American, and that's something I couldn't argue with lol.
37769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Jabberwock Island
Offline
Posted 4/16/13
Well. I think they are mostly Asian unless proven otherwise. Sometimes its stated what country they are from even though they all look the same. XD I do firmly believe that characters with blonde hair and blue eyes such as Naruto are Caucasian to the bone. You will never find a japanese person with those two traits.
Thats just my logic. ^__^
486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

Gyava wrote:

I personally think that they are really neither. The characters just seem to be a different race of their own.

My friends think that they are caucasian because of the hair color in most of the anime.

My African American friend clearly thinks that the African American characters are African American, and that's something I couldn't argue with lol.


I agree when you say neither. I must also agree that the African American characters are the exception haha. That aside though, I pick up on the individual character more clearly than I do a particular race (unless it's stated somewhere in the story that a character is a certain ethnicity).
1mirg 
57076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

Do you generally consider the characters in an anime as Caucasian, Asian, or just as something else?

I consider every anime character, no matter the skin tone or ect. The anime race
16190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / San Diego
Offline
Posted 4/16/13 , edited 4/16/13
I think blue eyed/blond hair characters are Caucasian and really dark skinned characters are african, anything else is a coin toss unless stated.
20699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

1mirg wrote:


I consider every anime character, no matter the skin tone or ect. The anime race


Pretty much how I see it.
Posted 4/16/13

1mirg wrote:


Do you generally consider the characters in an anime as Caucasian, Asian, or just as something else?

I consider every anime character, no matter the skin tone or ect. The anime race


^lol 'anime race'. But nah, I really do agree.
Posted 4/16/13 , edited 4/16/13
I've never really thought about this before. I guess I view them all as close to what 1mirg said, as "Anime". They don't really have a race. I do however see African American/black characters as clearly African American/black, and it stands out from the other characters, as it's not the norm in anime.

3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

vrc6868 wrote:


I agree when you say neither. I must also agree that the African American characters are the exception haha. That aside though, I pick up on the individual character more clearly than I do a particular race (unless it's stated somewhere in the story that a character is a certain ethnicity).


How do you know if they're African American?
Posted 4/16/13 , edited 4/16/13

spacebat wrote:



How do you know if they're African American?


I believe he means "Black", but was just trying to use a different term, as that's sometimes viewed as derogatory.

ex:


Simon is pretty clearly black.
4607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / LV.
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

1mirg wrote:

I consider every anime character, no matter the skin tone or ect. The anime race


^^^ This. I only seem them as "Anime". Even when it's stated that they from England or other places, I still really only see "Anime". :>

3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

Ink-e wrote:

ex:


Simon is pretty clearly black.


I'd say he looks Moroccan...
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 4/16/13
Some characters you can't really mistake, depending on art, that they meant them to look asian (the "brock" eyes). Also the black man is pretty easy to identify in anime as well, but I think the good looking hero characters tend to look pretty...well...a-typically neutral in terms of race. So I just imagine that I'm the main character in every anime I watch! If it's a female I just imagine the hottest girl I have ever seen with the same color hair and similar body.
486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

spacebat wrote:
How do you know if they're African American?


Well to be clear, I took "African American" to mean Black in general (I know that's kind of a jump). Also, I don't know if they're Black or not. I'm just of the opinion that they are because of certain features.
44745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 4/17/13 , edited 4/17/13
If they only speak Japanese, you can deduce that they're Japanese. Since 98.5% of Japanese residence are Asian, we'll just call them Japanese.

If they speak another language fluently, you can argue that they might be of that nationality and therefore another race.

If you make up a new world and you give the residences your language and culture, then they're basically just you with a new name for their country.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.