Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Aiura Discussion thread
od1968 
13236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Bay Area, CA
Offline
Posted 4/16/13
Aiura Discussion thread




Synopsis-


First thoughts/Impressions-



BUT Enough of that what did you think of this anime?! Did you like it? Did you hate it? If so why? WAS IT BECAUSE IT WAS TOO SHORT!?(LOL) let us all know below!
One Punch Mod
41245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/16/13 , edited 4/16/13
I'm not sure I really like it, but it's not bad. I'm not sure how well it would stretch to 20 minute episodes, but it doesn't work well at the current length either--Maybe 5 or 10 minutes would be better. The style of the thing seems to more for something longer, so it just feels like it gets weirdly cut off, which I've not experienced with other very short anime I've seen.

Anyway, because it's so short I'll probably keep watching.
od1968 
13236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Bay Area, CA
Offline
Posted 4/16/13 , edited 4/16/13

lorreen wrote:

I'm not sure I really like it, but it's not bad. I'm not sure how well it would stretch to 20 minute episodes, but it doesn't work well at the current length either--Maybe 5 or 10 minutes would be better. The style of the thing seems to more for something longer, so it just feels like it gets weirdly cut off, which I've not experienced with other very short anime I've seen.

Anyway, because it's so short I'll probably keep watching.


I've noticed that as well. That it doesn't seem to feel like its supposed to be a 2 min anime. Its as if they made a lengthier episode and just cut it down. the stops feel random and so strangely timed. I'd be happy with 10-15 min heck even Muromi-san is 12 mins and I very much enjoy that show.

I as well will continue watching the show though. Being that well its 2 mins it can't hurt to just keep going, but man do i wish this was a little longer
One Punch Mod
41245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/17/13 , edited 4/17/13

od1968 wrote:


lorreen wrote:

I'm not sure I really like it, but it's not bad. I'm not sure how well it would stretch to 20 minute episodes, but it doesn't work well at the current length either--Maybe 5 or 10 minutes would be better. The style of the thing seems to more for something longer, so it just feels like it gets weirdly cut off, which I've not experienced with other very short anime I've seen.

Anyway, because it's so short I'll probably keep watching.


I've noticed that as well. That it doesn't seem to feel like its supposed to be a 2 min anime. Its as if they made a lengthier episode and just cut it down. the stops feel random and so strangely timed. I'd be happy with 10-15 min heck even Muromi-san is 12 mins and I very much enjoy that show.

I as well will continue watching the show though. Being that well its 2 mins it can't hurt to just keep going, but man do i wish this was a little longer

Right. Two minutes is good for focusing on some little gag or joke or quirk, but this one starts with that and then moves on like it's actually trying to build relationship and possibly a story down the road. Even if they do manage to do a bit of that with this one, I think they'd be better off ending with more of a zing than "you gave me a weird nickname." I think episode 2 would have been better if
If this were a longer show, then that opening scene would be a nice little bit to start off with, followed by the real "story" of the show. And if that next bit had been about the nicknames, but followed by more stuff happening, that would be good.

To me it feels like someone basically created one 24-minute show and then chopped it up in to 2-minute bits, without a paying any attention to how each of those 2-minute bits would stand on its own as an episode.

I'm also enjoying Muromi-san, and think it works well with just 12-minutes per episode.
43325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/17/13
I love how Aiura looks but I agree with everyone saying the pacing is bizarre for a short. Not only that but the OP goes on the a minute and the ED for a minute so there is 2 minutes of show. This really is like they took one 24 minute episode and chopped it into bits. So I'm a bit disappointed. I love shorts and buy a lot of them and based upon visuals usually I would buy something like Aiura but I will have to see at this point it is a no.

Muromi-san OTOH is just perfect! Great humor and songs, perfect length like gdgd fairies for that type of show. Muromi-san is already preordered for me, the OP, the soundtrack and the 3 BDs.

Hopefully Aiura picks up. There is still time!
38541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 4/17/13
Episode 2:

It looks so much like KyoAni made this that I don't even know where to start
122214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 4/17/13
Only 3 minutes per week so I guess it's worth it to kill a little time I guess. The OP song is the funniest parts though but hard to say anything else for me on this short episode series.

10374 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 4/17/13
I still liked it after ep 2. Sharing the astonishment that OP is a whole minute: Sparrow's Hotel is just 30 seconds. But I'm happy to see where it goes.
9418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/17/13
I don't see what people are talking about with the ED. The music starts and it shows a still, then it continues the show as kinda normal with the music in the background. The ED doesn't really take away any time from the show at large...or small.

But I do agree that the pacing in general is weird, it would have been better served as at least a 12 min like Muromi-san.
One Punch Mod
41245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 5/1/13
Episode 4. Still not all that entertained by this show, but so far this episode holds together the best I think. In spite of weird loli-sensei (who I just wanted to slap and say "oh grow up" to).
64437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/1/13
these animes are best when you marathon it as 1 episode
One Punch Mod
41245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 5/1/13 , edited 5/1/13

AnimeKami wrote:

these animes are best when you marathon it as 1 episode

That might work better for this one, but with other short-episode anime shows, I've always enjoyed them served out in little weekly morsels. I'm trying to imagine what it would have been like to just watch them all in one go, and to be honest I think I would have become bored after just a few in a row. They really did work better for me just one episode at a time.

122214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 5/7/13
This has to be a Higurashi reference:
21617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / Uberwald
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
And so we say goodbye, adios, adieu, sayonara to another cutesy short with more theme song than content... I suppose this last ep was trying to evoke happy memories, and that's OK, but short as it is, it seems like cheating to reuse half the footage from another episode (stairs, bus). And they could have let her say the one more dumb thing, I needed the amusement. I guess it means they are holding out hope for another season...
15641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / England
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
My god this thread is dead.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.