First  Prev  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next  Last
The daily ranting thread
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13

DragonHaiku wrote:



That's really sad sorry to hear that. I have two administration level jobs and I have a spot open at each if you live in the SoCal area. I know it's incredibly unlikely that you live around here, but I feel bad. Was on my own at 17 and was homeless for 10 years before that. Having kickass references really help. Because if you don't have applicable experience they want to make sure you are reliable and capable. Hard to tell those things through just a paper application. Temp agencies are great. They make you do grueling work though but allow entry level people. My sister worked for the Irvine company and they loved her so much that they actually hired her. As a temp she was making 18.50/hour auditing businesses and now she makes 30/hour doing the same thing. If you're comfortable doing it, you could also lie about your experience. I don't even feel bad about it, but that's how I got my start because I knew i was able to handle the responsibilities. I could help with that if you want...



what are you up to?
18305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

-tion wrote:


DragonHaiku wrote:



That's really sad sorry to hear that. I have two administration level jobs and I have a spot open at each if you live in the SoCal area. I know it's incredibly unlikely that you live around here, but I feel bad. Was on my own at 17 and was homeless for 10 years before that. Having kickass references really help. Because if you don't have applicable experience they want to make sure you are reliable and capable. Hard to tell those things through just a paper application. Temp agencies are great. They make you do grueling work though but allow entry level people. My sister worked for the Irvine company and they loved her so much that they actually hired her. As a temp she was making 18.50/hour auditing businesses and now she makes 30/hour doing the same thing. If you're comfortable doing it, you could also lie about your experience. I don't even feel bad about it, but that's how I got my start because I knew i was able to handle the responsibilities. I could help with that if you want...



what are you up to?


It's called empathy. And paying it forward. I'm guessing you're a psychological egoist. Someone who believes that everything is done for their own ends. Not every human is that altruistic.

20295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / wherever my work...
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

-tion wrote:


DragonHaiku wrote:



That's really sad sorry to hear that. I have two administration level jobs and I have a spot open at each if you live in the SoCal area. I know it's incredibly unlikely that you live around here, but I feel bad. Was on my own at 17 and was homeless for 10 years before that. Having kickass references really help. Because if you don't have applicable experience they want to make sure you are reliable and capable. Hard to tell those things through just a paper application. Temp agencies are great. They make you do grueling work though but allow entry level people. My sister worked for the Irvine company and they loved her so much that they actually hired her. As a temp she was making 18.50/hour auditing businesses and now she makes 30/hour doing the same thing. If you're comfortable doing it, you could also lie about your experience. I don't even feel bad about it, but that's how I got my start because I knew i was able to handle the responsibilities. I could help with that if you want...



what are you up to?


It's called a job offer. Hop to Charles, it might not last.

Posted 10/27/13

DragonHaiku wrote:


-tion wrote:


what are you up to?


It's called empathy. And paying it forward. I'm guessing you're a psychological egoist. Someone who believes that everything is done for their own ends. Not every human is that altruistic.



Good for you
18305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

-tion wrote:


DragonHaiku wrote:


-tion wrote:


what are you up to?


It's called empathy. And paying it forward. I'm guessing you're a psychological egoist. Someone who believes that everything is done for their own ends. Not every human is that altruistic.



Good for you


I'm not even sure I understand that progression. That's why I hate patronizing phrases like "good for you." It's like me ending this comment with "whatever you say -tion."
Posted 10/27/13

DragonHaiku wrote:

I'm not even sure I understand that progression. That's why I hate patronizing phrases like "good for you." It's like me ending this comment with "whatever you say -tion."


That's why you should say less
18305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

-tion wrote:


DragonHaiku wrote:

I'm not even sure I understand that progression. That's why I hate patronizing phrases like "good for you." It's like me ending this comment with "whatever you say -tion."


That's why you should say less


Could you be any more arbitrary? That's why you should say more.
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13

DragonHaiku wrote:


-tion wrote:


DragonHaiku wrote:

I'm not even sure I understand that progression. That's why I hate patronizing phrases like "good for you." It's like me ending this comment with "whatever you say -tion."


That's why you should say less


Could you be any more arbitrary? That's why you should say more.


The thing is, you do more damage saying more than less. Also, when you are being questioned you should not automatically assume that you are being attacked for that's what makes you even less credible.
22788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / USA
Online
Posted 10/27/13
Damn man you are 20 years old and were homeless for half your life and on your on at 17. In 3 years time you have moved up to a position that allows you to hire people... I have to ask what sort of work you do. Most the admin jobs I've come into have all required a college degree or some sort of education outside of high school and 3-5 years experience. I guess you could be a hard worker that the manager took a liking to but no offense most business owners aren't going to give someone with no experience a job... If all of what you say it true, and i have no reason to say it's not, then you should write a book on how to make when the odds are stacked against you.
18305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

-tion wrote:

The thing is, you do more damage saying more than less. Also, when you are being questioned you should not automatically assume that you are being attacked for that's what makes you even less credible.



-tion wrote:

what are you up to?


Because the entire connotation here implies that I had an ulterior motive. And since when does explaining yourself after an implication do "more damage"? Another completely arbitrary thing to say. It's borderline arrogant. Maybe I should have sent her a message to avoid such haughty remarks. But even then, some schmuck might have thought I was trying to get in her pants simply because merely helping seems way out of the norm.
Posted 10/27/13

DragonHaiku wrote:


-tion wrote:

The thing is, you do more damage saying more than less. Also, when you are being questioned you should not automatically assume that you are being attacked for that's what makes you even less credible.



-tion wrote:

what are you up to?


Because the entire connotation here implies that I had an ulterior motive. And since when does explaining yourself after an implication do "more damage"? Another completely arbitrary thing to say. It's borderline arrogant. Maybe I should have sent her a message to avoid such haughty remarks. But even then, some schmuck might have thought I was trying to get in her pants simply because merely helping seems way out of the norm.


Yes, you should have because you had to pretend otherwise and yes I was leading you on :).
6107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/27/13
I'm trying to get a job in my field as a new graduate with no experience and it's horrible. I could get a more generic job in the meantime but that won't help my resume.

That whole vicious 'can't get a job because I don't have experience because I -" cycle.
18305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

Allonan wrote:

Damn man you are 20 years old and were homeless for half your life and on your on at 17. In 3 years time you have moved up to a position that allows you to hire people... I have to ask what sort of work you do. Most the admin jobs I've come into have all required a college degree or some sort of education outside of high school and 3-5 years experience. I guess you could be a hard worker that the manager took a liking to but no offense most business owners aren't going to give someone with no experience a job... If all of what you say it true, and i have no reason to say it's not, then you should write a book on how to make when the odds are stacked against you.


I'm working on a book called The Embellisher actually. My family lost our house when I was in fifth grade. Things were fine for a while. Went from the Best Western for nine months, to our car for a year, to a rundown motorhome. We got in a car accident my Junior year and bought a newer motorhome which was much better for the four in my family. A nuclear fallout with my mother my senior year caused me to leave home. I lived with friends for eight months and I earned a full academic scholarship to the University of New Hampshire. All 9 of my AP classes transferred (27 credits) and I finished my AA in a year and a half. Right Under 19 at the time. I went from two jobs in Massachusettes, one I was lucky to get, the other I lied to get. A waiter at a five-star restaurant called Tosca's, and a fork-lift operator at Whole Foods. I moved back home to California after a year because a lot of negative history, medical problems, and wanting to fix the relationship with my family. A good friend of mine, Eric, had a spot open as a Manager of a movie store called MovieQ. A couple people got fired due to a pretty bad scandal and I was promoted to District Manager. That gave me the credentials plus my extensive education history earned me an administration position at Nicholas Academic Center in Santa Ana. A lot of it was luck, but I like to think the opportunity was earned due to all the pain over the last 12 years. I've had my managerial position for about a year and my teaching/administration position for two months.
18305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

-tion wrote:

Yes, you should have because you had to pretend otherwise and yes I was leading you on :).


Damn. You sure got me. You're so smart -tion. Please, teach me about your psychological aptitude.

22788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / USA
Online
Posted 10/27/13
Ok, makes more sense now... so you weren't exactly homeless except for the year you lived in the car. But, still i define homeless as living on the street waiting in lines for food. but everyone has their own definition. I'm hoping you got things worked out with your family sounds like you went thru some stressful times. I figured you had to have someone take a liking to you or have connections. I am curious how you got the fork lift job which i do believe requires a special lic. to operate though.

As for offering the job to a 19 year old female it does look strange and you have to admit that... i understand you wanting to give someone a chance being that you went thru so much, but in today's world just risky for a female or anyone to take you up on an offer like this.
First  Prev  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.