First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply What do you think of war?
ispy12 
32571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
War for peace is like screwing for virginity
52758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

jeizii wrote:
Lol, ok if you say so hahaha. I love how you use your 'qualification' just to prove your point. But ok, whatever you say commander.


I wish I was a commander, hell. That's some nice money. Live in nice base housing, have ensigns get me coffee? Retire, go write a book about my tour of duty, and play golf all day. Or maybe not golf. I suck at golf.

And I'm not going to argue with you however,I assure you my "qualification" is not terrorizing people. I blew something up once though....
5143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

maffoo wrote:

It depends on the reason for the war. Sometimes it's necessary - the Second World War was necessary to bring down the Nazis, and in the aftermath things like human rights appear on the agenda.

Oher times, it's purely for political reasons (Iraq for example), which is just wrong.


I think the Kurds would disagree with you there.
16219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
I've never been able to find war justifiable, except as a necessary evil to prevent a greater evil. If that makes sense. But then there's the problem of what could be such an evil that needed war to stop it and it's starts being complicated.
22561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

camontour wrote:


Yup, because all the vets from WW2 just terrorized everyone. Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan? Just a bunch of bullies that someone should have shouted loud words at. *eye roll*.

And then to insult ME (armed forces myself and I am sure there are others on THESE VERY FORUMS), saying all I do is terrorize people, well, that's just not nice. It would appear to me you don't actually know what you are talking about. :/.


I'm fairly sure I have thanked you for your service in a previous post, but in case I have not, I'll do so now. Thank you.

Back on topic: Agreed. It's also an insult to my grandfather, who ended a POW during WWII. While defending his homeland from the Japanese, he was captured near Corregidor, and survived not only the Bataan Death March, but two prison camps afterward. He was also one of the many survivors to be interviewed for the book Reprieve From Hell. If you really want to know what it's like to be tortured and terrorized, as told by those who lived through it, look that book up. If he were alive today, he would be thoroughly insulted by that implication. He's the reason I have studied military history for most of my life, so travesties of the past do not become forgotten.

Then again, we are responding to the claims of someone who is a conspiracy theorist, who also claimed that the Boston Marathon bombing was a false flag operation, and that Al Qaeda never existed. So what this person claims to "know" is already rather specious in my opinion. Oh, and is trolling. Can't forget that.
Posted 5/12/13

camontour wrote:


jeizii wrote:
Lol, ok if you say so hahaha. I love how you use your 'qualification' just to prove your point. But ok, whatever you say commander.


I wish I was a commander, hell. That's some nice money. Live in nice base housing, have ensigns get me coffee? Retire, go write a book about my tour of duty, and play golf all day. Or maybe not golf. I suck at golf.

And I'm not going to argue with you however,I assure you my "qualification" is not terrorizing people. I blew something up once though....


My apologies, I didn`t mean to imply all soldiers... just many are a bit blinded by the reality of war.... I don`t understand why they think fighting is right.
5143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

camontour wrote:

I wish I was a commander, hell. That's some nice money. Live in nice base housing, have ensigns get me coffee? Retire, go write a book about my tour of duty, and play golf all day.


I don't even know why you bothered to post anything here.
2991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

AruarianDance wrote:

the more people think it is unavoidable the more likely it is to be that way.


Precisely

I think it's meaningless.
33268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Kentucky
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
As bad as I think war is, it does have some progressivism aspects to it.
Posted 5/12/13
Entertainment

Good or bad? Don't care as much as i'd like to

Pointless? A lot of things are
953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / england
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
Has a lot to do with money. Encourage conflict, you can sell weapons. keep people in fear of war and they'll be easier to control and will consume more to be distracted from that fear. Another country has something that can be sold, you can seize control of that resource through war. War is a VERY profitable business unfortunately.
4569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 5/12/13
I believe that it's what's known in the natural world as intraspecific competition, interference competition, and exploitation competition, but we humans like to do it on a grand scale. I think that we're a very competitive species, and that we'll always be prone to war with each other. I don't like the concept of war, yet I'm not particularly set against it. Whether or not I agree with the reasons behind specific wars is another story altogether.
Posted 5/12/13

quaser666 wrote:

Has a lot to do with money. Encourage conflict, you can sell weapons. keep people in fear of war and they'll be easier to control and will consume more to be distracted from that fear. Another country has something that can be sold, you can seize control of that resource through war. War is a VERY profitable business unfortunately.


Aaaaand the serious answer
23277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 5/12/13 , edited 5/12/13
War has forced many technological advancements. Like the one you're using. The medical knowledge that came from Nazi atrocities has saved many times over the lives lost in the process.



Ask The Major.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1pXBLFIPK8&list=PLPqHOXaJFfi3idByo56Kscr7_3iuQG0qP&index=20
13122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

jeizii wrote:
Lol, ok if you say so hahaha. I love how you use your 'qualification' just to prove your point. But ok, whatever you say commander.

My apologies, I didn`t mean to imply all soldiers... just many are a bit blinded by the reality of war.... I don`t understand why they think fighting is right.


So what's your solution? Disband our military because apparently what they are all doing, to YOU, is wrong?

Alright then. Let's go with your plan.

1. Disband our military. No U.S. military.

2. Make all of these ex-military people just preachers who talk about what "war"really is (even though you yourself have never been in it, never fought in a battle more or less, etc.).

3. Happily live ever after because no one in this world hates America and not a single drop of blood will be shed?

oh wait. We'd all die. but we can't call back our senseless idiots who don't know "why they think fighting is right."

Please make this make sense.

Your "philosophy" or whatever you believe in is YOUR thinking. You even said on another post which a mod removed (and threatened with a ban) that Al Qaeda doesn't even exist. You also said that after you did "research," you came to the conclusion that the Boston marathon bombings were just government false flags. Yeah, many people think that, but where's your "research"? I would like to see some credible sources. Your "almighty" thinking that you use to post on stuff like this is your opinion and your opinion only unless you actually have a case built up for us to see. Like seriously, wtf?

You can claim that you have talked to soldiers, you can tell yourself that you know what it's like in the army, and you can do all sorts of things and "claim" them on the internet, but in the end - you're just giving your own words and nothing to back you up.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.