First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply I give up, I *don't* get the Guilty Crown hate...*spoilers*
15046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
Theres a lot of hate on guilty crown because it copied a lot of anime
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
I've never seen ass pulling with such hilarious frequency. Also the majority of the characters are simply annoying.
11727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Alabama
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
For me, i had just finished watching Code Geass and was tired of that kind of antihero So when I saw which way the ball was rolling with this anime's protagonist, I abandoned ship.
10354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Aincrad Floor 61
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
I rather enjoyed this show, only thing that was holding it back for me was the protagonist. Wasn't strong enough of a lead in my opinion, was too weak willed. He had his moments, yeah, but they weren't enough for me.

The show does have amazing artwork though and the plot and music are both pretty legit.
57810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
One thing I've been curious about... I wonder if a lot of the fans of GC are people that marathoned the show. I think a lot of the storyline silliness is much easier to take if you hadn't had to wait week-to-week for the simulcast episodes.
157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / St. Louis, Missouri
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
I would try to make a point, but the 9,000 word essay I typed was erased when I refreshed the page. I was going to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt the relation between Guilty Crown and Lebron James. The hate although unjust in cause is just cause we do so (If the essay was still here that would make sense) and since sense is sent out of the royal door, we lose sight of the scent (this too would make sense). Sorry
35201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

deadpanditto wrote:

One thing I've been curious about... I wonder if a lot of the fans of GC are people that marathoned the show. I think a lot of the storyline silliness is much easier to take if you hadn't had to wait week-to-week for the simulcast episodes.

I share this theory. But I also watched it weekly while it was airing, so I can't shed much light on it.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/26/13 , edited 6/26/13

eliteXshadow8 wrote:

Theres a lot of hate on guilty crown because it copied a lot of anime


You don't find this to be a dumb reason to hate guilty crown? Is it even possible not to copy at least some of the elements done in another anime before?

Also, as stated, I marathoned it.
30538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Online
Posted 6/26/13
And, based on my experience (thus far) in watching Chaos;HEAd (great show, IMO), I intend to marathon GC, too. ("Marathon-ing", for me, is ingesting four or five episodes at a time; sadly, I don't have all day to watch a series.) Anime like these that rely on the viewer paying heavy attention to a number of details do not hold up as well, I imagine, if one has to wait from week to week to see a new episode.
4121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/13 , edited 6/26/13
I didn't like guilty crown. Plot was ass, voids made no sense. Main character was a your typical loser and this time a cockblocker as well, not cool.

Also the shot injected in his veins that gave him power consolidated itself in his arm instead of flowing throughout his system. Why? Who the hell knows, it was just convenient for the plot.

The fact that he didn't see a fking schoolwide coup coming is similar as to how Yoda sensed the inter thinkings and future of one boy, but missed millions of clone soldiers plotting treachery.

13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

kassler wrote:

I didn't like guilty crown. Plot was ass, voids made no sense. Main character was a your typical loser and this time a cockblocker as well, not cool.

Also the shot injected in his veins that gave him power consolidated itself in his arm instead of flowing throughout his system. Why? Who the hell knows, it was just convenient for the plot.

The fact that he didn't see a fking schoolwide coup coming is similar as to how Yoda sensed the inter thinkings and future of one boy, but missed millions of clone soldiers plotting treachery.



Yeah...well we might as well question the meaning of life too.

How on earth are we alive on this earth in a universe of thousands of galaxies and nothing but uninhabitable space beyond the atmosphere?! Ass pull!
26404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Woodstock, Georgia
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
I thoroughly enjoyed GC. Its one of my favorite anime. I didn't watch it while it simulcasted but watched it over a 2 month period, as i was busy with classes and work.

I honestly don't get why people would say its just a copy of other anime. So has about 95% of the anime that have come out the past 5-10 years lol.

I did find shu a bit annoying at first but i feel like he fit the bill quite nice.

I feel like most the flak is either aimed at Shu or people just jumping on the band wagon, but that's just my opinion.
4121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

zipzo wrote:


kassler wrote:

I didn't like guilty crown. Plot was ass, voids made no sense. Main character was a your typical loser and this time a cockblocker as well, not cool.

Also the shot injected in his veins that gave him power consolidated itself in his arm instead of flowing throughout his system. Why? Who the hell knows, it was just convenient for the plot.

The fact that he didn't see a fking schoolwide coup coming is similar as to how Yoda sensed the inter thinkings and future of one boy, but missed millions of clone soldiers plotting treachery.



Yeah...well we might as well question the meaning of life too.

How on earth are we alive on this earth in a universe of thousands of galaxies and nothing but uninhabitable space beyond the atmosphere?! Ass pull!



Wow, this is one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen haha

Nice way to give a comment that did absolutely nothing to refute my own.
13132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
WARNING contains a few spoilers.

Here's my two cents with Guilty Crown:

It's okay but the writing is quite weak (I noticed a lot of similarities with Code Geass despite only seeing the first season of that anime but that was much better than GC), the characters aren't that great and can be quite boring or annoying at times with Gai being the only character I actually liked and their development could have been much better. e.g when Shu finally developed, there were only 7 episodes left in the series, a bit too late if you ask me.

As for the villains, the only one who we actually learned about was Keido because of his friendship with Shu's dad and even then he still wasn't that great a villain. The others were also pretty meh along with one of them coming out of nowhere (Darth) and having his backstory being a bunch of convoluted nonsense while he fought Shu.

As for the series itself, I hate the first half of it a lot because it felt incredibly predictable and used a lot of cliches which you tend to see in a lot of animes such as a beach episode and a bathing scene in the same episode where Inori got felt up, which resorted to nothing.

I'll just leave this here since I find it a bit funny.


The second half was actually ok, you had an interesting conflict concerning the void ranking system and the choices Shu had to make creating a Lord of the Flies esq feeling. There were a lot of wasted opportunities however and by the end of the series there where a bunch of dangling plot threads such as what happened to Daryl.

I will say though the animation is pretty good and the music is fantastic (one of my favourite anime OSTs). Still everything else is pretty weak. In terms of production, you could slightly compare this with something like Samurai 7 (which I'm currently watching). Yes they're both different shows but Samurai 7 has a great story, awesome and interesting characters as well as good morals such as what as it means to be samurai. However the music is okay, it fits the mood though it's not that memorable except the opening and the animation varys from looking beautiful to looking like utter crap. Guilty Crown is the complete opposite of this and at the end of the day, Samurai 7 would be the better show.

Weird comparisons aside, my conclusion is that Guilty Crown is only okay at best but I wouldn't rank it amongst the worst animes I've seen *cough* Tokko *cough* Black Blood Brothers* though it certainly isn't a masterpiece either. One more thing, according to TVtropes I find it weird that some people are saying the dub is better than sub already just based on this trailer when the trailer itself just seems like a cheesy action trailer though that's a topic for another day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUw5gWGYlmg
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
That GIF is hilarious. Totally saved.

I don't think I've yet to see an anime I would consider a masterpiece, so to be honest I really couldn't be bothered to convince people that Guilty Crown itself, is one.

I have to postulate that story and plot may have taken a backseat in Guilty Crown (though it's a questionable decision) for the spectacle. I took it as a show that is supposed to be just plain stupid fun. A guilty pleasure, if I may say. Ho ho ho. You could say that many folks idea of fun involves an incredibly bullet proof, comprehensible story with no holes...but then to be honest I would simply say that there is no such thing.

Think about this scene right here...



Is this not simply post-modernist in its attempt to be cool? Clearly this is cheeseball, but you can't help but be taken aback by how...cool it is at the same time you are muttering "Oh jeez how corny" under your breath. I can't possible bring myself to believe that the creators of the show drew a scene like this and thought "Oh this is gritty, realism right here". I mean...of course not. They drew this scene thinking "Ha, this is awesome apples".

On the subject of the dub...and this is purely subjective opinion, but I fear for Guilty Crown's reputation further than it's already been kicked based on what I'm hearing so far. Hopes are not bright for this viewer.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.