Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Studio Ghibli's Greatest Masterpiece
hmm_4x 
22519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / TX
Online
Posted 4/30/13 , edited 4/30/13

MarshDiamond wrote:

I thought Grave of the Firefly was made very well, but it was the most sad and depressing little movie ever. I cried my eyes out. If you want too watch something extremly sad watch Grave of the Fireflys.

Spirited Away was the begining of my watching of films by Hayao Miyazaki that were produced my Studio Ghibli. All the films that I have seen so far are all my favorites. They are so imaginative and very well written and animated. You easly can feel the story and get sucked in. I love them.

Disney is also part of studio Ghibli now I heard??? Ghibli blows some of my childhood films out the water.


I agree with everything you say... like word for word!!

On a side note Grave and Spirited are on the top 3. However, my top film is Princess mononoke! (not just because it was released on my birthday, but just the sheer backbone to the story. The film offers such a detailed story line that flows wonderfully!)

I'm Curious to know though...
What'll become of the studio and he works after he passes away?

I know his son has begun to make films and not saying that they are worthy of a Miyazaki title, but I could see it reaching that point. You think he son will carry his legacy on? or will he pass it off like George Lucas did with star wars. Now belonging to Disney
od1968 
13236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Bay Area, CA
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
I'd say my favorite is My Neighbor Totoro for nostalgic reasons.

Top 3:

-My neighbor totoro
-Spirited away
-Kiki's delivery service
10374 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
How to even begin choosing? Princess Mononoke was my first Ghibli film and literally took my breath away. Spirited away is surreal and awesome on so many levels. Whisper of the Heart is just an incredibly uplifting film that makes me cry every time. Totoro for more bizarre and magical creatures and a heart-melting story. Howl's Moving Castle: I love Howl's character and the dynamic between him, Calcifer and Sophie. Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday (has that been mentioned yet?) are still magical even without fantasy as they are slice-of-life and, interestingly, neither is directed by Miyazaki; but they most definitely have the Ghibli stamp and feel.

I realise this is a crime, but I've still yet to see Grave of the Fireflies - I think it must be like keeping a really posh bottle of wine for a special occasion...

For the record I believe Disney is a distributor of the Studio Ghibli films, rather than part of it. Also, some of the latest films (Tales From Earthsea and Arriety) were not actually directed by Miyazaki, and it's pretty obvious: they lack the true magic and coherent vision that Miyazaki has (having said that I find Ponyo to lack magic in comparison to his older works, and was surprised to discover he'd directed it). In fact if you watch his interview on the Arriety BD he's clearly pretty depressed and unimpressed with Hiromasa Yonebayashi's directorial debut, and sounded generally very pessimistic about the survival of the studio in general.
3955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
not sharing my asl
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
Not my favorite movie, but my favorite gif. It's really hard to say which is my favorite, because I love most of them equally! This is from Porco Rosso though.

Kiki's Customer Support Service
Ezgi 
80142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Toronto ಥ⌣ಥ
Offline
Posted 4/30/13 , edited 4/30/13

Arsenette wrote:

Yeah I was told about Grave of the Fireflies to be ready for it as if you were watching Shindler's list (in terms of gravity of the story). I'm not sure I have the stomach for it though. I LOVE Only Yesterday. It apparently came out subtitled in England a few years back and I got a er.. (puts eyepatch on) copy of it that way since I don't have a PAL VCR. Seems Disney didn't want to release it because it's too "niche" and some lame excuse of a problem in one scene where someone was discussing her menstruation cycle (but they were fine bringing out the inflatable crotches in Pom Poko.. so who the hell knows why Disney bawked at Only Yesterday). I'd STRONGLY recommend watching it. It's a sweet film. Nothing blows up so anyone expecting action wouldn't watch it. I still think this is Ghibli's masterpiece even though it was technically a Takahata film. Agreed on Ponyo. I saw it.. visually stunning but wft story. They must have been tapping acid to come up with that one.. LOL. Looking forward to From Up Poppy Hill as it feels like Only Yesterday in style.


So I just finished Only Yesterday and I'm so disappointed in myself for not watching it earlier. It was so beautiful and the ending was just perfect. I loved it. Reminded me of Whisper of the Heart, realistic and beautiful. Without a doubt it's in my top 3 Ghibli films now. I admit I cried a bit at the end. It was so nice.


chase6565 wrote:

The Cat....Returns? Cat in the hat? lol I never heard of that movie from them.


It's the only Ghibli film which was a spin-off.

Whisper of the Heart is the first film.
Then The Cat Returns in the second.

I loved and adored both films.
15283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / U.K. (Jersey)
Offline
Posted 4/30/13 , edited 4/30/13
You can't really go wrong with a Ghibli, but out of the 19 available (some say 18 since Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind was produced and released before the studio's founding, but i still like to count it) I'll pick 7 from them.

Cat Returns

Grave of the Fireflies

Howl's Moving Castle

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away (Don't watch the dubbed version they ruin the story, badly)

Posted 4/30/13
S P I R I T E D A W A Y is the masterpiece

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Kiki's Delivery Service

Whisper of the Heart

Grave of the Fireflies


Howl's Moving Castle wasn't that good. The book was so much better, and the movie deviated too much from it. The newer works don't hold a candle to the old either.
30258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/30/13

Kippu wrote:


Arsenette wrote:

Yeah I was told about Grave of the Fireflies to be ready for it as if you were watching Shindler's list (in terms of gravity of the story). I'm not sure I have the stomach for it though. I LOVE Only Yesterday. It apparently came out subtitled in England a few years back and I got a er.. (puts eyepatch on) copy of it that way since I don't have a PAL VCR. Seems Disney didn't want to release it because it's too "niche" and some lame excuse of a problem in one scene where someone was discussing her menstruation cycle (but they were fine bringing out the inflatable crotches in Pom Poko.. so who the hell knows why Disney bawked at Only Yesterday). I'd STRONGLY recommend watching it. It's a sweet film. Nothing blows up so anyone expecting action wouldn't watch it. I still think this is Ghibli's masterpiece even though it was technically a Takahata film. Agreed on Ponyo. I saw it.. visually stunning but wft story. They must have been tapping acid to come up with that one.. LOL. Looking forward to From Up Poppy Hill as it feels like Only Yesterday in style.


So I just finished Only Yesterday and I'm so disappointed in myself for not watching it earlier. It was so beautiful and the ending was just perfect. I loved it. Reminded me of Whisper of the Heart, realistic and beautiful. Without a doubt it's in my top 3 Ghibli films now. I admit I cried a bit at the end. It was so nice.


chase6565 wrote:

The Cat....Returns? Cat in the hat? lol I never heard of that movie from them.


It's the only Ghibli film which was a spin-off.

Whisper of the Heart is the first film.
Then The Cat Returns in the second.

I loved and adored both films.


Glad you liked it as much as I did! I had no idea the film even existed until I heard ANNCast couple years ago rave about it. Everything they said just perked my interest since I love those types of movies (if done right and Takahata did this one right). Shame it's not in the USA though.. /shakesfistagainatDisney

As for Disney they only produced the English dubs and secured rights to a lot of the library when bidding for Spirited Away. The multi-movie deal is what made Ghibli pick Disney over many other studios for the USA releases. I still prefer watching Kiki's in English simply because JiJi was more animated, had more lines and frankly because it was Phil Hartman.. (Man I miss that guy.. So sad what happened to him). Even Miyazaki was happy with the production upgrade on Kiki.

As for Cat Returns.. although the movie was older (in terms of being made).. the Cat in that is younger than in when he was in Whisper of the Heart. Very loose spin off though - you don't need to have seen Cat to understand Whisper and Vice versa.
16178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
Same here!
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Ezgi 
80142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Toronto ಥ⌣ಥ
Offline
Posted 4/30/13

Arsenette wrote:

As for Cat Returns.. although the movie was older (in terms of being made).. the Cat in that is younger than in when he was in Whisper of the Heart. Very loose spin off though - you don't need to have seen Cat to understand Whisper and Vice versa.


Yeah no kidding. Even the animation looked completely different from Whisper of the Heart and The Cat returns. I'm glad they did the spin off though, I loved the Baron. It was nice to see him animated. During Whisper of the Heart, I just kept waiting for him to come alive @_@
9492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
Howl's Moving Castle!!!! Such a tale of adventure, plus i'm a sucker for anything and everything involving magic. But it just felt so whimsical, heartfelt, and beautiful. And I simply adored Sophie's character.

The Cat Returns is also up there for me. As for the reason why, well, you can probably guess from looking at my profile picture lol
15007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
Princess mononoke was one of the awesome ones!

I don't know what will happen to the studio lol. I liks the little asian man off the hangover lmao. Funny haha.
6005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
How can this whole thread be here and no one mentions nausicaa? in my opinion if you like princess mononoke and howls moving castle then you owe it to yourself to consider the fact that NAUSICAA DID ALL OF THAT ALREADY BACK IN 1984!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just watch the review i could talk about this for days!

http://blip.tv/psohb/nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind-ani-meh-reviews-5655873
2673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Sexual Chocolate
Offline
Posted 4/30/13 , edited 4/30/13

fizler1 wrote:

How can this whole thread be here and no one mentions nausicaa?


It has been mentioned...several times.


hmm_4x wrote:

Ive only ever watched the English version of Spirited away. is it really that much better in subs?


Personal opinions are going to be personal, but the only big difference story/character-wise I can recall between the two versions is that Yubaba is a lot meaner in the original language version.
hmm_4x 
22519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / TX
Online
Posted 4/30/13

AkumaSeinko wrote:

You can't really go wrong with a Ghibli, but out of the 19 available (some say 18 since Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind was produced and released before the studio's founding, but i still like to count it) I'll pick 7 from them.

Cat Returns

Grave of the Fireflies

Howl's Moving Castle

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away (Don't watch the dubbed version they ruin the story, badly)



Ive only ever watched the English version of Spirited away. is it really that much better in subs?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.