First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply mature anime and censoring...
16398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Online
Posted 4/29/13
I noticed that all anime on here, more specifically the ones intended for older viewers, are censored left and right..
Is it really not possible to get the uncensored versions for us to watch? Even netflix has uncensored.. it just bothers me that dubbed anime can be that way while originals can't.. lol
114140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 4/29/13

killer360xx wrote:

I noticed that all anime on here, more specifically the ones intended for older viewers, are censored left and right..
Is it really not possible to get the uncensored versions for us to watch? Even netflix has uncensored.. it just bothers me that dubbed anime can be that way while originals can't.. lol


CR only hosts what they receive. since they receive the censored versions of the broadcasts that's all you can get
The Wise Wizard
75092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 4/29/13

killer360xx wrote:

I noticed that all anime on here, more specifically the ones intended for older viewers, are censored left and right..
Is it really not possible to get the uncensored versions for us to watch? Even netflix has uncensored.. it just bothers me that dubbed anime can be that way while originals can't.. lol

This topic comes up again and again. Perhaps CR needs to make sticky for one of these topics (as this one certainly isn't the first).

Dubbed anime on Netflix is uncensored because it is the home video release. A company paid (a higher cost than CR) for the same version that is released in Japan on DVD/BD.

CR pays for the same version that is on broadcast TV, which is just as often censored to give people a reason to buy the DVD/BD as to meet any broadcast standards or avoid offending anyone.

At this point, someone that watches fansubs will likely chime in and claim that isn't true, as they've seen uncensored versions of the same series while it was being broadcast. Indeed they have, but the raws for those came from a premium channel like AT-X, which costs the equivalent of around $23-$24 per month in Japan. (As an aside, I've seen some people claim their "right" to watch these fansubs, even in the face of available legal streaming, by stating "Japanese people see them for free". Ads on the broadcast anime aside, that clearly isn't the case if they are watching fansubs created from rips of a show from a premium channel).

If enough people wanted to pay substantially higher subscription rates, CR could probably get the same uncensored/less censored versions as a channel like AT-X, but I have my doubts enough people would be willing. Even if you had people willing to pay 3 times the current rate, if that was only 2% of the current subscriber base, I doubt it would be worth the justify the other costs that would be involved.
16398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Online
Posted 4/30/13 , edited 4/30/13
@TheAncientOne

I actually knew all of that.. what I'm wondering though is... We're paying money to CR for anime. Not dubbed anime, but originals with subtitles. Now then, why is it that netflix is willing to pay a little more for the DVD versions of the anime, while CR, who SHOULD have the "real" versions, isn't? lol It's just weird to me and I'd love to know why.. unless what we pay simply isn't enough to help them do the best they can for their customers.

OH one more thing, why would we have to pay "substantially higher subscription rates"..? netflix has a 7.99 fee and they can do it.. lol They don't just have anime either. Sorry to keep bringing them up but it's the best example I can think of.

@the people that say I just wanna see it, etc.

It's more along the lines of.. It's mature anime.. it's MEANT for older viewers, this isn't a TV, it's a site that we pay for.. lol I think it's stupid that we get the PG-13 version of stuff meant for 18+
57552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Yo Mama's House
Offline
Posted 4/30/13 , edited 4/30/13
@TheAncientOne

For your first sentence, that seems a little too transparent in a business standpoint. Saying something as such will in doubt reveal too much things that they don't need to reveal. Sure, there'll be threads like these, but that's just a minority or a minority.

Crunchy's approach of just saying "We'll try to get it" in a short and sweet manner is probably best.



killer360xx wrote:

@TheAncientOne

I actually knew all of that.. what I'm wondering though is... We're paying money to CR for anime. Not dubbed anime, but originals with subtitles. Now then, why is it that netflix is willing to pay a little more for the DVD versions of the anime, while CR, who SHOULD have the "real" versions, isn't? lol It's just weird to me and I'd love to know why.. unless what we pay simply isn't enough to help them do the best they can for their customers.

OH one more thing, why would we have to pay "substantially higher subscription rates"..? netflix has a 7.99 fee and they can do it.. lol They don't just have anime either. Sorry to keep bringing them up but it's the best example I can think of.

@the people that say I just wanna see it, etc.

It's more along the lines of.. It's mature anime.. it's MEANT for older viewers, this isn't a TV, it's a site that we pay for.. lol I think it's stupid that we get the PG-13 version of stuff meant for 18+



At first statement, I don't think crunchyroll is actually shy about getting and streaming the full uncensored material, look at the first Queen's Blade being available here. From what I can tell, that was the R1 region release. Although, when you look at the second season of the show, it looks very much like the TV release. Basically, they get what they can get.

For Netflix, aren't most of those R1 releases from FUNi and Anime Network anyways? I think that that would be a reason why it is so readily available in a more uncut format.



As for the next statement, I've dissected crunchyroll's PG-13 policy to try to get what they are doing. I will tell you that there are a lot of discreprencies to what actual content, attitude, and what's allowed on the forums. In short, for on this site, most discussion about the sex on School Days and posting scenes from said situations are not allowed, but the show itself doesn't have a content filter on it.

Though, from what I can tell, they adopted the "rating" to appeal to a wider audience and to keep certain social agents off their backs. I'm certain that crunchyroll knows it's demographic real well and knows what grouping will be the most likely to spend some green here (males from 18-32), but entertains the "PG-13" rating as a just a buffer as some kind of safety net. In a business perspective, it's actually pretty tactful.

In all honesty, I think that this site is a bit more "TV-14" DLSV- dialouge, language, sexual situations, and violence- in an American rating sense; if you carefully look at the shows for Adult Swim and TheAnimeNetwork, that's the rating they take in most of their shows.

43178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 4/30/13

killer360xx wrote:

@TheAncientOne

I actually knew all of that.. what I'm wondering though is... We're paying money to CR for anime. Not dubbed anime, but originals with subtitles. Now then, why is it that netflix is willing to pay a little more for the DVD versions of the anime, while CR, who SHOULD have the "real" versions, isn't? lol It's just weird to me and I'd love to know why.. unless what we pay simply isn't enough to help them do the best they can for their customers.

OH one more thing, why would we have to pay "substantially higher subscription rates"..? netflix has a 7.99 fee and they can do it.. lol They don't just have anime either. Sorry to keep bringing them up but it's the best example I can think of.

@the people that say I just wanna see it, etc.

It's more along the lines of.. It's mature anime.. it's MEANT for older viewers, this isn't a TV, it's a site that we pay for.. lol I think it's stupid that we get the PG-13 version of stuff meant for 18+


Most subscribers are paying money to Crunchyroll for anime simulcasts. Netflix may sometimes get uncensored anime, but only after a few years after it airs in Japan. The lateness is part of the reason they can get it uncensored. At the time that a simulcast is airing, it would probably cost too much for Crunchyroll to license the uncensored version based on how many people would watch it. Either that or a Japanese licensor refuses to let them (perhaps AT-X, the channel that pays a significantly large amount of money for the uncensored version, doesn't want Crunchyroll to get it for a few cents per view?). Plus even if they did get the uncensored version, it wouldn't be the exact same as the DVD/BD version as that isn't yet finished at the time of the simulcast.

Also, I doubt that Netflix pays any extra money for the uncensored version. They get their content from the US licensor of the anime, who provides them with that version as that is the version the US licensor has.

For comparison purposes: Netflix has over 36 million subscribers worldwide. Crunchyroll has only 200,000 worldwide. Netflix also costs more. And don't forget that many Crunchyroll subscribers get it at $5 per month by getting a year subscription. Some even get it for less than that when there's a deal on.
16398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Online
Posted 4/30/13

olandril wrote:


killer360xx wrote:

@TheAncientOne

I actually knew all of that.. what I'm wondering though is... We're paying money to CR for anime. Not dubbed anime, but originals with subtitles. Now then, why is it that netflix is willing to pay a little more for the DVD versions of the anime, while CR, who SHOULD have the "real" versions, isn't? lol It's just weird to me and I'd love to know why.. unless what we pay simply isn't enough to help them do the best they can for their customers.

OH one more thing, why would we have to pay "substantially higher subscription rates"..? netflix has a 7.99 fee and they can do it.. lol They don't just have anime either. Sorry to keep bringing them up but it's the best example I can think of.

@the people that say I just wanna see it, etc.

It's more along the lines of.. It's mature anime.. it's MEANT for older viewers, this isn't a TV, it's a site that we pay for.. lol I think it's stupid that we get the PG-13 version of stuff meant for 18+


Most subscribers are paying money to Crunchyroll for anime simulcasts. Netflix may sometimes get uncensored anime, but only after a few years after it airs in Japan. The lateness is part of the reason they can get it uncensored. At the time that a simulcast is airing, it would probably cost too much for Crunchyroll to license the uncensored version based on how many people would watch it. Either that or a Japanese licensor refuses to let them (perhaps AT-X, the channel that pays a significantly large amount of money for the uncensored version, doesn't want Crunchyroll to get it for a few cents per view?). Plus even if they did get the uncensored version, it wouldn't be the exact same as the DVD/BD version as that isn't yet finished at the time of the simulcast.

Also, I doubt that Netflix pays any extra money for the uncensored version. They get their content from the US licensor of the anime, who provides them with that version as that is the version the US licensor has.

For comparison purposes: Netflix has over 36 million subscribers worldwide. Crunchyroll has only 200,000 worldwide. Netflix also costs more. And don't forget that many Crunchyroll subscribers get it at $5 per month by getting a year subscription. Some even get it for less than that when there's a deal on.


That all makes sense. First of all I made this topic because I was curious how a specific anime sounded dubbed.. checked netflix.. and what do you know.. it's uncensored while on here it's fully censored. Can't help but think that an anime oriented service would benefit from the "real" versions of the shows they have rather than broadcast versions. When I watch an adult focused anime I don't want to see censoring all over the place. :/ lol I don't know.. obviously it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do, but older anime such as the one I checked yesterday, can at least slowly be turned into the uncensored versions don't you think..? This service should take pride in having a real collection of shows the way they were meant to be viewed... rather than the kinds you can find from doing a quick google search.

I love this site but...a few things bug me lol

2191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 5/1/13
I can't say i'm happy with viewing the censored versions, but Crunchyroll is good enough as it is in terms of value for what you pay, fo rme anyways. If i'm bothered that much by a certain series being censored, i'll just buy the BD or DVD
16828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 5/2/13 , edited 5/2/13
I dislike censorship on principle (a personal bias that has existed longer than Crunchyroll has), but can tolerate it up to a point.

If the shadows are a little darker or the steam a little thicker, fine. If it obscures something that isn't really relevant to the scene, fine.

"Nakaimo", for example, I was mostly OK with. but there was one episode where an admittedly dumb situation causes one of the girls' skirts to flip up a lot. You then see this impossibly long patch of shadow to obscure any chance of seeing underwear. Now I don't particularly care one way or another if i see a character's panties, but it ended up looking like an animation error. It looks wrong. It looked out of place. It looked more distracting than the underwear would have been.
It was only one episode though, and the rest was more or less fine.

"So can't play H?", though, I had to totally give up on the official version. The censorship effects were blatant and obscured the screen. Heck, they even obscured plot-relevant things.
There's a scene in the first episode that actually only makes sense uncensored. Yes, maybe that plot-point was dumb but it was a plot-point, nonetheless.

Also, the shards of darkness and light just got too much from episode to episode. They weren't subtle. They got in the way of the scene. And although the actual nudity was probably not really necessary, it didn't feel anywhere near as out-of-place as the censorship effects did.

The simple fact is that I don't like censorship. I like to see something as-intended.

I'm also 36 years old. I am not offended by breasts and underwear. I am offended by clunky edits and unsubtle censorship effects that are actually more distracting than unnecessary nudity.
53753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 5/2/13

TiggsPanther wrote:

I dislike censorship on principle (a personal bias that has existed longer than Crunchyroll has), but can tolerate it up to a point.

If the shadows are a little darker or the steam a little thicker, fine. If it obscures something that isn't really relevant to the scene, fine.

"Nakaimo", for example, I was mostly OK with. but there was one episode where an admittedly dumb situation causes one of the girls' skirts to flip up a lot. You then see this impossibly long patch of shadow to obscure any chance of seeing underwear. Now I don't particularly care one way or another if i see a character's panties, but it ended up looking like an animation error. It looks wrong. It looked out of place. It looked more distracting than the underwear would have been.
It was only one episode though, and the rest was more or less fine.

"So can't play H?", though, I had to totally give up on the official version. The censorship effects were blatant and obscured the screen. Heck, they even obscured plot-relevant things.
There's a scene in the first episode that actually only makes sense uncensored. Yes, maybe that plot-point was dumb but it was a plot-point, nonetheless.

Also, the shards of darkness and light just got too much from episode to episode. They weren't subtle. They got in the way of the scene. And although the actual nudity was probably not really necessary, it didn't feel anywhere near as out-of-place as the censorship effects did.

The simple fact is that I don't like censorship. I like to see something as-intended.

I'm also 36 years old. I am not offended by breasts and underwear. I am offended by clunky edits and unsubtle censorship effects that are actually more distracting than unnecessary nudity.


The anime studios are very aware of this fact and is why they purposely broadcast these censored versions of the show. They do this because they want people to cough up the money for the DVDs to be able to see the entire picture. People in Japan see the same exact thing that you see on Crunchyroll. The only exception are those who pay the expensive price for the premium ATX channel as TAO already explained. For Crunchyroll to simulcast the uncensored version they would have to pay a heck of a lot more money for the license and would have to greatly increase the cost of membership to support it.

I don't like censorship as well. I want to see big floppy boobies when I sit down with a bottle of beer to enjoy an evening of Japanese cartoons.
16828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 5/2/13

-Chris311- wrote:

The anime studios are very aware of this fact and is why they purposely broadcast these censored versions of the show. They do this because they want people to cough up the money for the DVDs to be able to see the entire picture. People in Japan see the same exact thing that you see on Crunchyroll. The only exception are those who pay the expensive price for the premium ATX channel as TAO already explained. For Crunchyroll to simulcast the uncensored version they would have to pay a heck of a lot more money for the license and would have to greatly increase the cost of membership to support it.

I don't like censorship as well. I want to see big floppy boobies when I sit down with a bottle of beer to enjoy an evening of Japanese cartoons.


Problem is, in Japan there is the option of being able to subscribe to AT-X. And the series will come out in a home release.

Here in the UK, CR is the only (legal) option of viewing the episodes in real-time. (And other services for some other shows, but my basic point holds) And some of them don't come out at all on a home release. So it becomes "censored or nothing". Or at least "censored or copyright infringement". And that is a really cruddy set of choices.
I don't want it censored. I don't want to go without. And I don't want to give up watching through legal sources.

It's certainly nice to have a legal anime source as my first point of call - and I'm now watching way more anime on a monthly basis than I did previously - but this is one thing that will have to change to make it the only point of call.
53753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 5/2/13 , edited 5/2/13

TiggsPanther wrote:


-Chris311- wrote:

The anime studios are very aware of this fact and is why they purposely broadcast these censored versions of the show. They do this because they want people to cough up the money for the DVDs to be able to see the entire picture. People in Japan see the same exact thing that you see on Crunchyroll. The only exception are those who pay the expensive price for the premium ATX channel as TAO already explained. For Crunchyroll to simulcast the uncensored version they would have to pay a heck of a lot more money for the license and would have to greatly increase the cost of membership to support it.

I don't like censorship as well. I want to see big floppy boobies when I sit down with a bottle of beer to enjoy an evening of Japanese cartoons.


Problem is, in Japan there is the option of being able to subscribe to AT-X. And the series will come out in a home release.

Here in the UK, CR is the only (legal) option of viewing the episodes in real-time. (And other services for some other shows, but my basic point holds) And some of them don't come out at all on a home release. So it becomes "censored or nothing". Or at least "censored or copyright infringement". And that is a really cruddy set of choices.
I don't want it censored. I don't want to go without. And I don't want to give up watching through legal sources.

It's certainly nice to have a legal anime source as my first point of call - and I'm now watching way more anime on a monthly basis than I did previously - but this is one thing that will have to change to make it the only point of call.


The thing is, outside of Japan, there just isn't enough people willing to pay a high price for uncensored anime. If enough people are willing to pay the price then of course a company will come along and offer a service with uncensored simulcasts. (Hopefully CR)

But as it is now, there are already a lot of people complaining that even $5 a month for anime, censored or not, is too expensive.

I know that I wouldn't want to pay $25-30 a month for uncensored anime. I would just wait to buy the DVD as there are not a lot of ecchii anime that I think are any good anyways.
24187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/13
All hail The Ancient One
8012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / New York USA
Offline
Posted 10/30/13
The point I'd like to pose is that I've seen anime on crunchy that is uncensored on other sites but still only subbed and the other sies are free and ad free(to an extent, no video ads) but I'd prefer to use crunchy as they support iOS with an app instead of browser based viewing, however the censoring of Fanservice has led me to an impass I don't know wether to continue to support cr and when I find an anime that I must have the fan service in, watch it elsewhere or to drop cr all together and exclusively use another site. But since I've payed for a year(not aware of the censorship in play) I'll go with the first option for now but come resubscribing time I'll have to do some soul searching...
Sorry for my long and ultimately pointless post but if they pay for the aired subed version and later a uncensored subed version is released what is the issue with dropping the first copy for the latter, and you can't tell me something as well used as cr can't afford to drop a license for another(although if I am completely off base here I'll understand the negative replys)
39869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 10/30/13

Cubia166 wrote:

The point I'd like to pose is that I've seen anime on crunchy that is uncensored on other sites but still only subbed and the other sies are free and ad free(to an extent, no video ads) but I'd prefer to use crunchy as they support iOS with an app instead of browser based viewing, however the censoring of Fanservice has led me to an impass I don't know wether to continue to support cr and when I find an anime that I must have the fan service in, watch it elsewhere or to drop cr all together and exclusively use another site. But since I've payed for a year(not aware of the censorship in play) I'll go with the first option for now but come resubscribing time I'll have to do some soul searching...


Those are illegal streaming sites, and none of that ad revenue goes to the Japanese rights holders.


Sorry for my long and ultimately pointless post but if they pay for the aired subed version and later a uncensored subed version is released what is the issue with dropping the first copy for the latter, and you can't tell me something as well used as cr can't afford to drop a license for another(although if I am completely off base here I'll understand the negative replys)


That would require going back to the license holders and re-negotiating for the home video materials, which would cost both time and money, which could be better spent on negotiating for a previously unstreamed show or broader regions for current properties.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.