First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply mature anime and censoring...
16012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New York USA
Offline
Posted 10/30/13 , edited 10/30/13
First off exactly, some people would rather go about it through those means and get exactly what they want (hey some would even be willing to pay) instead of paying for something that isn't what they really want but just has better ease of access, second off I'm in the middle east and can't get any of the shows I want to watch that they are supposed to be getting regon licensing for so I use a VPN to access them through the US, fairly simple tech but it's temperamental at times. And finally thank you for going the "dirty pirate" route, the route I thought most likely would be taken to argue my point, like I said there were punches to catch and I will do so willingly.
34037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Windsor, Ontario
Offline
Posted 5/27/14 , edited 8/9/14
necropost:

just tell us when they're censored so we can choose to avoid if we want.
2028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/14
The way the censorship is done is what bothers me. Blacking out huge chunks of the screen just so that you don't see someone's blood dripping out of their severed head??? It's ridiculous, like they didn't want to spend a penny on the job. It's like someone slapping down their hand on a page of a book to block out one dirty word. This method of censorship makes the whole series unwatchable for me.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/13/14
Or when the uncensored versions are running on hulu because hulu seems really illegal
27435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 11/14/14
24 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 10/26/16
I agree, we should get the uncensored anime as well but only to the views that are 18+ and that has subscriptions with Crunchyroll. I would mind paying a little extra if you include uncensored anime.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/5/17 , edited 2/5/17
Ah yes the conundrum that goes back as far as internet piracy itself. The people with pirated versions many times get a better product than the ones who actually pay for it. R1 releases for this were the worst back in the day. Piracy almost destroyed the western market for anime. We always got the censored release and the uncensored versions never made it our way. Its rather ironic that they release the uncensored versions to home video in an attempt to make more money when many times it just feeds piracy. At least today home video distributors have gotten wise but paid sites hosting censored content often feeds into the underground piracy scene. I'm not making an opinion on it here. It's just an observation.
1037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/17
The standard answer for this is always "it would be too expensive to be viable" but I used to be a Funimation subscriber (before the partnership made it kinda pointless to stay for a sub fan) and while they had the censored versions for the simulcasts, the videos were replaced with the uncensored versions for subscribers when the blu-rays came out. I was able to watch Tokyo Ghoul in all its bloody glory for $5 a month for the sub-only subscription while Crunchyroll will shield my poor innocent eyes for $7 a month. If Funimation can why can't Crunchyroll?

Now, I don't claim to really know anything about how things work behind the scenes, and please correct me where I'm wrong, but I can't help but be skeptical. Besides, who is honestly going to watch To Love Ru or a show like that when 2/3 of the screen is occasionally covered by mysterious rays of light? Why even bother licensing the show at that point? That sounds insufferable to me. Does anybody want to see Monster Musume for the character development and deep lore? I'm sorry to say but as A1rh3add just said, piracy does look like a very attractive option then.
4005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/6/17
I have to agree with luigils. If companies want to combat piracy, they need to suck it up and keep the uncensored the same price. Japan has an easy way to make a profit from jacking the price, but western countries don't. Because of internet piracy, they should focus less on 'making a profit' and focus more on 'not losing business'.

People will get their porn. That much is true.
59584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 2/6/17

LuigiIsHungry wrote:

The standard answer for this is always "it would be too expensive to be viable" but I used to be a Funimation subscriber (before the partnership made it kinda pointless to stay for a sub fan) and while they had the censored versions for the simulcasts, the videos were replaced with the uncensored versions for subscribers when the blu-rays came out. I was able to watch Tokyo Ghoul in all its bloody glory for $5 a month for the sub-only subscription while Crunchyroll will shield my poor innocent eyes for $7 a month. If Funimation can why can't Crunchyroll?


The difference is FUNimation is a company that has always focused on home video, so they typically get the Japanese home video masters when they become available, while CR focuses on simulcasts, and mainly deals with the broadcasters who don't have access to those materials (and doesn't deal with the dedicated cable channels that do get uncensored materials).
104395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 2/6/17

LuigiIsHungry wrote:

Besides, who is honestly going to watch To Love Ru or a show like that when 2/3 of the screen is occasionally covered by mysterious rays of light?

An interesting pick, as the answer would be, "Anyone that didn't want to wait for the BD/DVD release in Japan", as there was no uncensored version of that series until then (not even on AT-X).

1037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/17

eyeofpain wrote:


LuigiIsHungry wrote:



The difference is FUNimation is a company that has always focused on home video, so they typically get the Japanese home video masters when they become available, while CR focuses on simulcasts, and mainly deals with the broadcasters who don't have access to those materials (and doesn't deal with the dedicated cable channels that do get uncensored materials).

Interesting. But it's not like it's impossible and it's not like it hasn't happened before. Some shows like My Wife is the Student Council President offer an uncensored option here, and IIRC Madoka Magica uses the improved animation of the home video release. What is going to happen with shows shared with Funimation and Crunchyroll? Will Crunchyroll replace their simulcasts with the BD versions when Funimation does, or will Crunchyroll always keep the simulcast version despite the partnership?


TheAncientOne wrote:


LuigiIsHungry wrote:


An interesting pick, as the answer would be, "Anyone that didn't want to wait for the BD/DVD release in Japan", as there was no uncensored version of that series until then (not even on AT-X).


It's just an example of a show that is in my opinion unwatchable censored. There are definitely some shows that handle censorship better such as Another, which I didn't even know it was censored until after the fact. I completely understand that is impossible for Crunchyroll to have uncensored simulcasts, it's just a shame that the censored broadcast versions are kept forever.
Der Zoodirektor
25775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 2/6/17

LuigiIsHungry wrote:

Interesting. But it's not like it's impossible and it's not like it hasn't happened before. Some shows like My Wife is the Student Council President offer an uncensored option here, and IIRC Madoka Magica uses the improved animation of the home video release.


Crunchyroll was involved in the production of My Wife is the Student Council President. As it also aired on AT-X at the same time, an uncensored version existed at the time it was broadcast on TV.
1037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/17

shinryou wrote:


LuigiIsHungry wrote:



Crunchyroll was involved in the production of My Wife is the Student Council President. As it also aired on AT-X at the same time, an uncensored version existed at the time it was broadcast on TV.

That would explain it. But I don't think anybody is really asking for Crunchyroll to somehow magically simulcast uncensored versions where none exist. I just think it's a shame that for people who like fanservice and gory shows they have to either put up with inferior versions or pirate them.
Der Zoodirektor
25775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 2/6/17

LuigiIsHungry wrote:

That would explain it. But I don't think anybody is really asking for Crunchyroll to somehow magically simulcast uncensored versions where none exist. I just think it's a shame that for people who like fanservice and gory shows they have to either put up with inferior versions or pirate them.


You'll only get disc material if you actually commit to doing a disc. And then you'll also need the permission to use it for streaming. So the hurdles are high for a service that primarily does streaming, such as Crunchyroll.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.