Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Does Anime degrade women?
51281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 5/8/13
we could do that season by season since there is a list of anime for every season
67647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 5/8/13 , edited 5/8/13
Well after all that's been said, here's my conclusion :

no.

Long answer later when I'm not trying to type with my thumbs and argueing with autocorrect.
483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/13
I think it is too narrow to just say anime degrades women.

Are there anime out there that do that? Definitely.

However, there are many if not all parts of life that women still have contend with sexism in society, both by people and the system itself. I would have been surprised that anime somehow ended up being immune to that. Sex sells, and the anime industry is business in nature like any other industry. They will do what is necessary to sell more and to make greater profits.

Now in terms of seeing beautiful sexy women in anime, I don't think is necessarily wrong. There is nothing bad in of itself with enjoying the beauty and sexiness that is the female body. However, it is a fine line, and I will say that anime has not often done a good job of watching that line. It could do a better job, and we all could start by making our voices heard with the power of our viewership.

Hopefully some day we will see a shift.
22723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 5/10/13 , edited 5/10/13
So I heard a story on NPR this morning regarding sociology and sexual coercion. In it they referenced a study that examined pornography from Norway (the most egalitarian nation regarding gender), the US (#15) and Japan (#54). The study found a direct correlation between gender-based power differences and violent/degrading pornography. In other words, Norwegian porn is more likely to depict empowered women enjoying sex than Japan. The US is somewhere in between.

Similar studies have shown that sexual coercion is prevalent in societies where it is condoned, and nearly absent in societies where it is not tolerated, and that when women have equivalent social standing (and social power) to men, they are unlikely to be subjected to sexual coercion or assaulted.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/10/182654664/what-does-sexual-coercion-say-about-a-society

This is very interesting, but the study didn't examine anime or televised equivalents in the different nations. Maybe someone in the humanities or social sciences would like to use this subject for a Master's thesis?
4332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Frozen North
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
"Does Anime degrade women?"

....only if you're foolish enough to find a cartoon offensive.
But to those I say "In your face"
30035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/10/13 , edited 5/10/13

mhibicke wrote:
Maybe someone in the humanities or social sciences would like to use this subject for a Master's thesis?

That'd be a very interesting read.

The effect of Japan's culture on what crime gets reported would be a tough Gordian Knot to unravel though.

But that same culture can also be a barrier to committing criminal activity.

I'm also not entirely sure I see much of a difference between what we see in (at least most) broadcasted anime and what's on all the magazine covers I walk past every time I go through the checkout aisle at the grocery store.

Just kind of thinking out loud, I don't have a fixed stance on any of this since I don't have a good perspective on it.

Edit:

This was interesting though: "The links between pornography consumption and actual sexual practice, moreover, are murky. Another [study], for example, found that as pornography consumption has soared in Japan in recent decades, reported cases of sexual violence against women have fallen dramatically."

Although it's probably important to stress the "reported" bit in cases like this.

Edit:

This is tangential, but I've been wondering for awhile if Japan's low birth rates are due to economic disincentives.


The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development released a report in late December which showed the median salary of a working Japanese woman with a child was 61 percent lower than that of a man in the same situation. That is the most extreme figure of all the 30 nations that provided comparable data, with the average standing at 22 percent. ("Suu Kyi Prods Japan to Achieve Gender Equality").

I think I have my answer.

Edit:

There's also a study on female gender roles in shounen manga in Manga Girl Seeks Herbivore Boy, a collection of studies on gender in Japan conducted by Cambridge University over the past 3-4 years.

I'll check and see if I can get it through campus interlibrary loan from anywhere.
37654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
Some are yes, mostly the shows that are made for the hardcore male fan base. The same can be said for a lot of different mediums of entertainment not only anime, the video game industry is another good example. It can get a little annoying especially when you have a female character who starts out strong and independent and then they pull a, "Why don't you just sit at home and clean/make my meals while I protect you," type thing.
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
Most anime is meant for the male demographic, so the anime companies will make it with fanservice in mind to appease the demographic. Not every anime is degrading toward women. A large portion of the anime I've seen for example have a lot of strong female characters who don't go around bouncing their tits and people and showing their panties. It also depends on the genre of the anime. If the friend stopped watching anime because there were too many degrading scenes, then I would suspect it's because all he would watch were harems and ecchi anime.
11007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/11/13
The better question would be "Does anime distort the image of women in the eyes of fans?"

In all honesty though Anime has MORE strong female leads than a majority of Hollywood films. Ghost in the Shell being a prime example.
20673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Online
Posted 5/11/13

botogamer wrote:

I think it is too narrow to just say anime degrades women.

Are there anime out there that do that? Definitely.

However, there are many if not all parts of life that women still have contend with sexism in society, both by people and the system itself. I would have been surprised that anime somehow ended up being immune to that. Sex sells, and the anime industry is business in nature like any other industry. They will do what is necessary to sell more and to make greater profits.

Now in terms of seeing beautiful sexy women in anime, I don't think is necessarily wrong. There is nothing bad in of itself with enjoying the beauty and sexiness that is the female body. However, it is a fine line, and I will say that anime has not often done a good job of watching that line. It could do a better job, and we all could start by making our voices heard with the power of our viewership.

Hopefully some day we will see a shift.


No worst than TV,Movies,Porn,Commercials etc.In fact I think Anime Males get degraded more by being whiny ,indecisive,selfish,inmature,perverted.

30035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/11/13 , edited 5/11/13
Not anime, but we could also add most of the cast from Girls of the Wild's to that earlier list as well.

They tackle a bunch of sociocultural issues between tournaments.



They also just went on a short hiatus on a brutal cliffhanger. I'll be mentally biting my nails for a month.

If Queen gets decked because Song advised her poorly I'll be really pissed off.
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
Boku no Pico.

10/10 would watch again
64457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

FLjerry2011 wrote:


botogamer wrote:

I think it is too narrow to just say anime degrades women.

Are there anime out there that do that? Definitely.

However, there are many if not all parts of life that women still have contend with sexism in society, both by people and the system itself. I would have been surprised that anime somehow ended up being immune to that. Sex sells, and the anime industry is business in nature like any other industry. They will do what is necessary to sell more and to make greater profits.

Now in terms of seeing beautiful sexy women in anime, I don't think is necessarily wrong. There is nothing bad in of itself with enjoying the beauty and sexiness that is the female body. However, it is a fine line, and I will say that anime has not often done a good job of watching that line. It could do a better job, and we all could start by making our voices heard with the power of our viewership.

Hopefully some day we will see a shift.


No worst than TV,Movies,Porn,Commercials etc.In fact I think Anime Males get degraded more by being whiny ,indecisive,selfish,immature,perverted.



Yet, those whiny, indecisive, selfish, immature, perverted protagonist-kuns get all them women >.> the logic of anime.
One Punch Mod
41277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Online
Posted 11/14/13
Keeping the forums tidy by clearing out threads that have been inactive for six months or more.

locked and closed
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.