First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Does Anime degrade women?
32386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Online
Posted 5/7/13
*thinks*

It's all in the eye of the beholder, if you ask me. How you interpret this sort of thing depends entirely on your own personal experiences. I generally watch things that have strong female characters, but I have the implicit understanding that even those shows throw in a certain level of fan service to hit all of the marketing points and keep the niches coming back.

Marketing, folks. If you want to know why anime / manga is the way it is, always look at the target audience, for better or for worse.
36929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/7/13 , edited 5/7/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Pomff wrote:

Well is certainly hasn't improved the perception of women. The number of competent female characters who pass the Bechdel test is significantly lower than the number of shallow shonen love interests, personality-less tsunderes, and bouncy titted bimbos.

edit: Anime today is less degrading than the anime of the 90's/early 2000's. There's still, excuse this phrase, a fuck ton of work to do.


The Bechdel test? please enlighten me?

I heard of this in an Extra Credits episode. It's to test for gender bias in fiction.

1. The work must have at least two women,
2. Who talk to each other,
3. About something besides a man.

It's far from perfect but it's a frequently cited benchmark test for movies and things.


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

(I should also apologize for being a chronic post editor).


That's okay too. I almost invariably mess up the quotes or spoilers when I post and find myself going back to fix that. sometimes I have further thoughs.

what I try to do then though is indicate that those thoughts are an addendum to the original post. usually by placing them at the bottom under a label like (edit) or (postscript)

That's a good idea.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 5/7/13

Insomnist wrote:


Yeah. after I asked I looked it up. Wikipedia is my friend. however, I'm curious to hear more from Pompf on the subject.

3364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / I roam with the wind
Offline
Posted 5/7/13
Honestly...Its about 50-50 Both men and women get degraded :/
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 5/7/13
Most anime isn't aimed at women so it typically doesn't treat them in the most favorable light with certain character archetypes. Honestly though what's degrading? The only time I could see it being a problem is from a hentai perspective.
2209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/7/13
When anime is a male dominated medium, and the majority (or the people who buy most of the merchandise) are horny otakus, its no surprise that many shows are degrading to woman, displaying them as weak or over-sexualised.

However, the best anime out there don't display those tropes, so I don't see much of the genres that are degrading, and I think most female watchers don't as well so they have nothing to worry about.
36929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/7/13 , edited 5/7/13
I'm kind of curious what people think about Motoko Kusanagi in particular. She was a source of a LOT of fanservice in the manga (including one incredibly raunchy 3-way lesbian scene), but she still came across as her own person. And they built skyscrapers on that foundation when it came to the anime adaptations - somehow everything came across as empowering instead of degrading. Including the way she dressed, her bisexuality, her independence, etc.

That was a pretty impressive feat when you think about it.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 5/7/13

Insomnist wrote:


Which is a much more complicated situation when I'm not even straight on the basic differences.

I

I'm ignorant about many things, so I ask questions.

But admittedly that ignorance can make the questions awkward sometimes.


Pun not intended I assume (LOL). To be fair I don't think the LGBTQRST is entirely sure either. Every time I hear the acronym for our 'community' they've added another letter to it. (last time I cared to pay attention was when they added 'Queer' after Transgendered)

If you decide to explore that undiscovered country about which you confess ignorance, you'll find many strange and wonderful things. (I never knew the term 'Binarist' existed or that it could be leveled as an accusation of intellectual incompetence.)

67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 5/7/13

Insomnist wrote:

I'm kind of curious what people think about Motoko Kusanagi in particular. She was a source of a LOT of fanservice in the manga (including one incredibly raunchy 3-way lesbian scene), but she still came across as her own person. And they built skyscrapers on that foundation when it came to the anime adaptations - somehow everything came across as empowering instead of degrading. Including the way she dressed, her bisexuality, her independence, etc.

That was a pretty impressive feat when you think about it.


QFT.


36929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/7/13 , edited 5/7/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Insomnist wrote:


Which is a much more complicated situation when I'm not even straight on the basic differences.

I

I'm ignorant about many things, so I ask questions.

But admittedly that ignorance can make the questions awkward sometimes.


Pun not intended I assume (LOL). To be fair I don't think the LGBTQRST is entirely sure either. Every time I hear the acronym for our 'community' they've added another letter to it. (last time I cared to pay attention was when they added 'Queer' after Transgendered)

If you decide to explore that undiscovered country about which you confess ignorance, you'll find many strange and wonderful things. (I never knew the term 'Binarist' existed or that it could be leveled as an accusation of intellectual incompetence.)


It wasn't.

And that's one crazy acronym, I got lost halfway though. Earlier if B is binarist and not bisexual.

I started paying attention to this sort of thing when I heard about Alan Turing, so I've been slowly picking away at it as I notice related things come up. I should probably be much more rigorous about it, though.
75465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/7/13

AnimeKami wrote:


Greylurker wrote:

depends on the series

there are plenty of examples where the answer is pretty much yes

but there are also plenty where it's an emphatic No.



I defy anyone to say a character like Erza Scarlett from Fairy Tail is degrading to women.


she was subjected to wear a maid uniform and serve men?


which she weaponized, reducing men into jelly.

67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 5/7/13 , edited 5/7/13

Insomnist wrote:

It wasn't.

And that's one crazy acronym, I got lost halfway though. Earlier if B is binarist and not bisexual.

I started paying attention to this sort of thing when I heard about Alan Turing, so I've been slowly picking away at it as I notice related things come up. I should probably be much more rigorous about it, though.


Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgendered Queer (I've since heard versions that included terms such as 'two spirited' in the acronym the RST part was a bit of mockery. I don't now anyone can take an acronym's correct spelling seriously when it adds a new letter every month. It is however this mutagenic nature of the acronym that I mock not the people who have yet to feel included under it's ever expanding blanket)

Binarist is something else. It's usually leveled as an epithet that accuses someone of a kind of bigotry most of us here don't even realize we subscribe to.

here is ONE definition of the term, which will best lead you under stand why it's an epithet.

http://angerisjustified.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/definitions-cissexism-and-binarism-for-google/


Edit:
But we are probably getting off topic. If you're curious feel free to PM me.

Back on Topic:

well... Yes, Maybe but not in every case. and in it's own way no worse than western media.




15507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/7/13 , edited 5/7/13
Men are degraded as well. We find humor in extremes taken to embarrassment. Whether women are more so would probably have to be due to the ability of the viewer to empathize with that gender. Women in anime are more sexual icons and male are perverts, but the average woman is also perceived as more competent. If you see these as realistic portrayals of societal norms, then you will probably see gun violence more easily done by a FPS player. Extremes in behavior are entertaining because they are extremes, if you want normal go live a peaceful life.
9232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 5/7/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


Hentai with plot >.>


So you're watching the same 5 hentais then :P
kmfcm 
18741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / NY
Online
Posted 5/7/13 , edited 5/7/13
I will paraphrase the lady from AbFab

"degrading to who? she's the one with the whip"


I dunno

maybe they figure "this girl is killing a lot of guys.. . .lets at least make her nice to look at"
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.