First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
Post Reply Popular anime you can't stand
1948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Davidvauhn wrote:




Oh yeah I remember that place, I'm the Silverpotatoes dude that got 50 helpfuls and 70 "Not helpfuls" But the fact that all the negative, yet well thought out, intelligent, and accurate reviews gets a net negative amount of "Not helpful" kind of shows that the majority doesn't hate it.


No offense, but a well thought out review would not be a 1. It had very nice animation and art, the sound also wasn't half bad. The writing may have been crap, along with the characters. But a well though out/written review would give credit where credit is due. Giving it a 1 proves my point that it gets ton of hate.


But I honestly, really mean't it. And I get really peeved when people say "Sword Art Online may suck but at least it had great art" I mean, that kind of sentence just takes a fiery dagger and rams it through my chest. I don't wish to bore you with my rant but let me explain quickly. ART =/= STORY, Sword Art Online could have Graphics done by James Cameron, it doesn't matter, what kind of insane world are we living in where the art has any bearing on a professional review? What does art have to do with the story? Just because something looks good doesn't mean it has a good story and art should be 0.0001% of a review of a movie, I don't care about what the show looks like and it's really insane that people honestly think that the animation and art should be incorporated into the review, Since when did the special effects of animation take over the special effects of story telling? Just because Avatar the Last Airbender the movie has good visuals doesn't mean it's good nor does it mean it should get a point higher than 1, you're right that SAO had good animation but that's somewhat irrelevant to the whole review process, no one watches an anime because it looks good, people watch anime because of "Writing, characters, story, drama, conflict, etc."
290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
Oreima and Oreima 2, I can't stand ecchi anime's like that anymore since they make up 80% of the anime that come out these days.
20914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

drakedogma wrote:


Davidvauhn wrote:




Oh yeah I remember that place, I'm the Silverpotatoes dude that got 50 helpfuls and 70 "Not helpfuls" But the fact that all the negative, yet well thought out, intelligent, and accurate reviews gets a net negative amount of "Not helpful" kind of shows that the majority doesn't hate it.


No offense, but a well thought out review would not be a 1. It had very nice animation and art, the sound also wasn't half bad. The writing may have been crap, along with the characters. But a well though out/written review would give credit where credit is due. Giving it a 1 proves my point that it gets ton of hate.


But I honestly, really mean't it. And I get really peeved when people say "Sword Art Online may suck but at least it had great art" I mean, that kind of sentence just takes a fiery dagger and rams it through my chest. I don't wish to bore you with my rant but let me explain quickly. ART =/= STORY, Sword Art Online could have Graphics done by James Cameron, it doesn't matter, what kind of insane world are we living in where the art has any bearing on a professional review? What does art have to do with the story? Just because something looks good doesn't mean it has a good story and art should be 0.0001% of a review of a movie, I don't care about what the show looks like and it's really insane that people honestly think that the animation and art should be incorporated into the review, Since when did the special effects of animation take over the special effects of story telling? Just because Avatar the Last Airbender the movie has good visuals doesn't mean it's good nor does it mean it should get a point higher than 1, you're right that SAO had good animation but that's somewhat irrelevant to the whole review process, no one watches an anime because it looks good, people watch anime because of "Writing, characters, story, drama, conflict, etc."


But the fact is, a good review takes all of those concepts into consideration. Regardless of your personal opinion on how a show should be viewed, a review looks at all of the different elements. Take a good look at Guilty Crown for a minute. It had a pretty sh*t story, but oh my god was it ever beautiful. It sounded great, it was amazing to look at, and it was fun to watch. The exact same thing can be said about SAO. Also, I did watch guilty crown because it looked good, and a friend of mine did the same thing, but because he heard the OST and loved it.
1392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / lost within my he...
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
I can't get myself to watch bleach, I've tried though a couple of times.
1948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

CR_Otaku wrote:

Oreima and Oreima 2, I can't stand ecchi anime's like that anymore since they make up 80% of the anime that come out these days.


You mean, Oreimo? And Oreimo 2? Because Oreimo is not an eechi anime, it barely has any eechi
1948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Davidvauhn wrote:


drakedogma wrote:


Davidvauhn wrote:




Oh yeah I remember that place, I'm the Silverpotatoes dude that got 50 helpfuls and 70 "Not helpfuls" But the fact that all the negative, yet well thought out, intelligent, and accurate reviews gets a net negative amount of "Not helpful" kind of shows that the majority doesn't hate it.


No offense, but a well thought out review would not be a 1. It had very nice animation and art, the sound also wasn't half bad. The writing may have been crap, along with the characters. But a well though out/written review would give credit where credit is due. Giving it a 1 proves my point that it gets ton of hate.


But I honestly, really mean't it. And I get really peeved when people say "Sword Art Online may suck but at least it had great art" I mean, that kind of sentence just takes a fiery dagger and rams it through my chest. I don't wish to bore you with my rant but let me explain quickly. ART =/= STORY, Sword Art Online could have Graphics done by James Cameron, it doesn't matter, what kind of insane world are we living in where the art has any bearing on a professional review? What does art have to do with the story? Just because something looks good doesn't mean it has a good story and art should be 0.0001% of a review of a movie, I don't care about what the show looks like and it's really insane that people honestly think that the animation and art should be incorporated into the review, Since when did the special effects of animation take over the special effects of story telling? Just because Avatar the Last Airbender the movie has good visuals doesn't mean it's good nor does it mean it should get a point higher than 1, you're right that SAO had good animation but that's somewhat irrelevant to the whole review process, no one watches an anime because it looks good, people watch anime because of "Writing, characters, story, drama, conflict, etc."


But the fact is, a good review takes all of those concepts into consideration. Regardless of your personal opinion on how a show should be viewed, a review looks at all of the different elements. Take a good look at Guilty Crown for a minute. It had a pretty sh*t story, but oh my god was it ever beautiful. It sounded great, it was amazing to look at, and it was fun to watch. The exact same thing can be said about SAO. Also, I did watch guilty crown because it looked good, and a friend of mine did the same thing, but because he heard the OST and loved it.


But then what should a review be about? Let me re-state that people do NOT watch shows because it looks nice, they watch it for things like story, plot, character, etc. We live in a society that values those things over animation, therefore, the review should be strictly be about those things. That's like trying to Assess hitler's character. Even though Hitler was a blood-thristy monster, he was a pretty good singer. Obviously being a good singer has absolutely nothing to do with judging his character, just like how animation has nothing to do with judging the story of a movie. It's not really "personal opinion" because all reviews have an implied criteria. When people are reviewing movies, obviously, the story of the movie has MUCH more importance than say the costume design right? Certain elements of a movie are more important than other elements, just like how Story is a far more important element to a story than the animation.

I agree that SAO had good art, so instead of giving it a 1/10, I give it a 1.0001/10 and you say that my opinion on animation's worth to an anime is just an opinion, but that's not true, many people hold elements of "plot, story, character, development, etc." FAR beyond animation. Once again, it's very rare for someone to watch a movie just because of the visuals and not the "story"
42300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/19/13 , edited 5/19/13
Most people seem to think a review is "I did or did not like this piece of media and let me tell you why." Which it can be, but only if you consistently follow the same reviewer and know that their tastes consistently coincide with yours.

If you're supplying reviews on a website where no one knows who you are, but they want an informed opinion about whether or not they will like the show, you can't approach it like that. Because, ultimately, it's useless information.

It just turns the star rating into a popularity contest instead of an analysis.

If you actually want to help people who don't know you, you have to account for all the things people might watch an anime for. The music, the art, the characters, the story, the depth of feeling and immersion in the world, etc.

If you don't you're just venting opinions into the wind like farts and people will avoid them in a similar manner.


drakedogma wrote:

Once again, it's very rare for someone to watch a movie just because of the visuals and not the "story"

This is an example.

Don't extrapolate your personal views across everyone in the universe who's on the internet. It's not useful to them.
90060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
people really shouldn't read other peoples reviews... reading the synopsis and determining if you like the anime is a MUCH better way of approaching and finding out what genre of anime you like.

my 2 cent
22452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
I think Shugo Chara is one of them.... the third season blew it off and made me dislike it completely..... it also went on a bit to long for my taste... ahh, who an I kidding! I love Fairy Tail and it was like 175 episodes. Cant say an anime was too long when you love every episode of Fairy Tail.
20914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/19/13



But then what should a review be about? Let me re-state that people do NOT watch shows because it looks nice, they watch it for things like story, plot, character, etc. We live in a society that values those things over animation, therefore, the review should be strictly be about those things. That's like trying to Assess hitler's character. Even though Hitler was a blood-thristy monster, he was a pretty good singer. Obviously being a good singer has absolutely nothing to do with judging his character, just like how animation has nothing to do with judging the story of a movie. It's not really "personal opinion" because all reviews have an implied criteria. When people are reviewing movies, obviously, the story of the movie has MUCH more importance than say the costume design right? Certain elements of a movie are more important than other elements, just like how Story is a far more important element to a story than the animation.

I agree that SAO had good art, so instead of giving it a 1/10, I give it a 1.0001/10 and you say that my opinion on animation's worth to an anime is just an opinion, but that's not true, many people hold elements of "plot, story, character, development, etc." FAR beyond animation. Once again, it's very rare for someone to watch a movie just because of the visuals and not the "story"


So then explain to me, why do you think so many people watched, and enjoyed shows like FLCL, Redline, and GC? Was it because of their "amazing" stories that people loved them so much? No. FLCL was insanely popular due to it's amazing soundtrack, and the director experimenting with many different styles of art/animation. Redline just looked freaking amazing. Same can be said for GC. But all three of these shows have one thing in common: Their stories are sh*t. So, the stories are sh*t, and yet, so many people love these shows.
50195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

AnimeKami wrote:

people really shouldn't read other peoples reviews... reading the synopsis and determining if you like the anime is a MUCH better way of approaching and finding out what genre of anime you like.

my 2 cent


I don't even do that. I just watch it.
20914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

CR_Otaku wrote:

Oreima and Oreima 2, I can't stand ecchi anime's like that anymore since they make up 80% of the anime that come out these days.


Gotta agree with dogma, Oreimo is in no way ecchi. Also, it's not ecchi that makes up 80% of anime these days. I'd say as of now it's 40% Moe, 20% ecchi, 40% other as of these last couple of seasons.
90060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

people really shouldn't read other peoples reviews... reading the synopsis and determining if you like the anime is a MUCH better way of approaching and finding out what genre of anime you like.

my 2 cent


I don't even do that. I just watch it.


I posted this elsewhere but...

I choose anime by looking at the chart and saying "yes" "no" "maybe" but the relevance of my post is for those who have not seen a lot of anime and need a helping hand to find a certain type of anime he or she may like.
290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Davidvauhn wrote:


CR_Otaku wrote:

Oreima and Oreima 2, I can't stand ecchi anime's like that anymore since they make up 80% of the anime that come out these days.


Gotta agree with dogma, Oreimo is in no way ecchi. Also, it's not ecchi that makes up 80% of anime these days. I'd say as of now it's 40% Moe, 20% ecchi, 40% other as of these last couple of seasons.


You can't forget about harem.
53417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / killing zombies
Offline
Posted 5/19/13 , edited 5/19/13
naruto the anime just looks poorly drawn and to many fillers . also sword are online
and I don't see the hype over DBZ I tried to watch it alot of different times but just can't seem to like it
First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.