First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply What's so special about dating?
20947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/18/13

kamaitachi5587 wrote:


Ikaruga1 wrote:

Can't help but feel slightly disgusted at some of these responses...


Men are like dogs with a bone. We are totally fixated on one thing. At least men who have had it and enjoyed it So, yup we men are disgusting beasts and completely unrepentant about it as well.


Whoa there Flash, slow down. You're getting ahead of yourself. You somehow involved "men" in this when I didn't even point out any specifics. Who knows, my post could of been directed against women. There is no "we" btw; broad generalizations doesn't cut it.
6060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Ikaruga1 wrote:


kamaitachi5587 wrote:


Ikaruga1 wrote:

Can't help but feel slightly disgusted at some of these responses...


Men are like dogs with a bone. We are totally fixated on one thing. At least men who have had it and enjoyed it So, yup we men are disgusting beasts and completely unrepentant about it as well.


Whoa there Flash, slow down. You're getting ahead of yourself. You somehow involved "men" in this when I didn't even point out any specifics. Who knows, my post could of been directed against women. There is no "we" btw; broad generalizations doesn't cut it.


No when it comes to men "WE" fits. We all have a one track mind. Men who don't admit it are in denial or lying. True you did not mention men specifically, but men are more likely to be vulgar so it was relatively safe to assume you were referencing men as you said "Some" of these responses it was even safer to assume that at least one was said by a man.
25482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
Dating was "invented" so you can get to know the other while keeping each of your best interests fixated on the fact you are on a date and not just with someone to make friends, but for a relationship to open up that considers both people more than just friends. A date goes well if the guy pays for everything, whether it is food, movies, the amusement park, or whatever else you might think of, and if there is a rather large kiss at the end followed by a second date or callback. Once sex has entered the picture it is pretty much not considered dating anymore.

I have stopped dating, not for financial reasons, but because it is so difficult for me to find someone I really want to get to know like that. Most often times now it is just sex without being romantically involved.

Dating people is not for everyone, and loses its merits because of rise in more sexual gratification than just on a person's intellect or personality.
3690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Opposite of SoCal
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
If you've tried dating and it's not your thing or whatever, cool. You did it and you see what it's about and I've got respect for that. If you haven't dated anyone ever it's a little presumptuous to have a good say in the matter of what makes it so special, or in that case not special. Hearing stuff second hand, being judgmental, or going by stereotypes really means nothing at all. It's like a thread in the Japan forums talking about how it's bad for foreigners to go cause of some stupid reason, when in fact they had never been there before and have no clue what its really like. The point is to try to get at the very least a bit of perspective, and at the very best a heck of a whole lot more.
17219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Soulreaper84 wrote:

WTF man are you gay or something? you lack of experience in women.. comeback in 5 years later and maybe you'll grow up.


Ah yes, truly the mature and though out answer I was looking for.
69682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
The sex, I imagine.
589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / London, UK
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
Having a desire for companionship is a basic human instinct. Even the most introverted people still desire some human contact.

With the exception of aromantic and asexual people, this tends to manifest along with the drive to mate, and therefore people try to get that companionship through a romantic partner.

It's pretty simple. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to date or not seeing what the big deal is, though.
20947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

kamaitachi5587 wrote:


Ikaruga1 wrote:


kamaitachi5587 wrote:


Ikaruga1 wrote:

Can't help but feel slightly disgusted at some of these responses...


Men are like dogs with a bone. We are totally fixated on one thing. At least men who have had it and enjoyed it So, yup we men are disgusting beasts and completely unrepentant about it as well.


Whoa there Flash, slow down. You're getting ahead of yourself. You somehow involved "men" in this when I didn't even point out any specifics. Who knows, my post could of been directed against women. There is no "we" btw; broad generalizations doesn't cut it.


No when it comes to men "WE" fits. We all have a one track mind. Men who don't admit it are in denial or lying. True you did not mention men specifically, but men are more likely to be vulgar so it was relatively safe to assume you were referencing men as you said "Some" of these responses it was even safer to assume that at least one was said by a man.


Again with the broad generalizations. You speak as if you knew every man on Earth, which is the only way your argument would be valid. Yes, men are more likely to be vulgar, but some are miles more so than others. The ones who don't relish in it have something called Integrity.

No more of this; To each Their own
Aryth 
41211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Nashville
Offline
Posted 5/19/13 , edited 5/19/13

DonMoriarty wrote:

Dating was "invented" so you can get to know the other while keeping each of your best interests fixated on the fact you are on a date and not just with someone to make friends, but for a relationship to open up that considers both people more than just friends. A date goes well if the guy pays for everything, whether it is food, movies, the amusement park, or whatever else you might think of, and if there is a rather large kiss at the end followed by a second date or callback. Once sex has entered the picture it is pretty much not considered dating anymore.

I have stopped dating, not for financial reasons, but because it is so difficult for me to find someone I really want to get to know like that. Most often times now it is just sex without being romantically involved.

Dating people is not for everyone, and loses its merits because of rise in more sexual gratification than just on a person's intellect or personality.


Well, this is just wrong. Dating was never "invented". Animals have been pairing (again and again, but often times mating) since long before humans roamed the Earth. Humans evolved and became indulgent, and our mating "rituals" adapted to that. No one just thought, "Hey, let's invent something where two people who are interested in each other can get to know each other, and let's call it 'dating'". We matched the word to it's meaning, we didn't define it after creating it. Though, someone did invent internet dating, so I guess part of your argument is valid.

Dating is, to me, an experiment so that you find out what types of people you like. This, in the end, will at least prevent me from dating people who I'd never be interested in. Whatever happens, though, just happens. I don't plan that crap out, and so I don't have an exact purpose for dating beyond trying to see what I can tolerate.
49156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

haikinka wrote:

The sex, I imagine.


I concur.
1811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 5/19/13
You'll understand once you get into one. It's great while it lasts, even if there are some problems.
It's just... hard to explain.
I loved the stupid feelings I'd get. How I'd feel as if electric were running from up to the top of my fingertips to the depths of my heart when he'd just hold my hand and squeeze it.
It's an odd feeling, but a nice one.
Posted 5/19/13
Whats so special about dating? It's a situation in which people get a chance to use their phony persona.
49156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

BeanWantaBurger wrote:

You'll understand once you get into one. It's great while it lasts, even if there are some problems.
It's just... hard to explain.
I loved the stupid feelings I'd get. How I'd feel as if electric were running from up to the top of my fingertips to the depths of my heart when he'd just hold my hand and squeeze it.
It's an odd feeling, but a nice one.


No offense, but I don't think a fourteen year old knows what dating really is. Then again, everyone is different. You could be quite mature for your age, but that doesn't mean you've experienced all of life's hardships and pleasures.
25482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Aryth wrote:


DonMoriarty wrote:

Dating was "invented" so you can get to know the other while keeping each of your best interests fixated on the fact you are on a date and not just with someone to make friends, but for a relationship to open up that considers both people more than just friends. A date goes well if the guy pays for everything, whether it is food, movies, the amusement park, or whatever else you might think of, and if there is a rather large kiss at the end followed by a second date or callback. Once sex has entered the picture it is pretty much not considered dating anymore.

I have stopped dating, not for financial reasons, but because it is so difficult for me to find someone I really want to get to know like that. Most often times now it is just sex without being romantically involved.

Dating people is not for everyone, and loses its merits because of rise in more sexual gratification than just on a person's intellect or personality.


Well, this is just wrong. Dating was never "invented". Animals have been pairing (again and again, but often times mating) since long before humans roamed the Earth. Humans evolved and became indulgent, and our mating "rituals" adapted to that. No one just thought, "Hey, let's invent something where two people who are interested in each other can get to know each other, and let's call it 'dating'". We matched the word to it's meaning, we didn't define it after creating it. Though, someone did invent internet dating, so I guess part of your argument is valid.

Dating is, to me, an experiment so that you find out what types of people you like. This, in the end, will at least prevent me from dating people who I'd never be interested in. Whatever happens, though, just happens. I don't plan that crap out, and so I don't have an exact purpose for dating beyond trying to see what I can tolerate.


Haha yeah, I meant the word "dating" (sarcastic quotes) associative of the meaning. But as you say it is basic animal instinct to want a partner and to mate. One difference is how we think opposed to other species of mammals.

People who I find asking questions like this, I tend to breathe a little sarcasm into conversation. It is difficult to read sarcasm in context, I know lol.

I, however, was bringing a serious bit of information that when you go on a date, you are doing it not to just have sex (even though that thought crosses many minds), it is to form a relationship, often thinking more about the date instead of just wanting to be friends. Some other animals might produce the same behavioral pattern, but of course the end result will ultimately be trying to produce offspring or just mate.

We don't all have ideal matches, but we can come close. Maybe your tolerance level is your tool to help you along, but if you do go on a date, I don't think your first thought is "I hope this doesn't suck" lol.
37111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

tinyd0t wrote:


spacebat wrote:

Convenience and Reliability. Relationships are more fulfilling and secure sexually and emotionally than one-night stands or paying for a prostitute. The only drawback is that they aren't the best return on investment. You have to weigh personal satisfaction against your wallet. For some people the one night stands or a hooker are just more economical.

Unless of course you're a woman. Then it's a win-win.


NONONONONONONO. You haven't consider the fact that sex doesn't always equals to quality sex! Bad sex to girls are worst than not having sex.


To men as well - bad sex is worst than no sex at all....
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.