First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Fate/Zero English Dubbed Bad?
EmpReb 
18918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Incoming Air Stomp
Offline
Posted 5/22/13
Here is the thing about dubs. They work well in when they are high quailty...... and the source material is either translated well or the original does not use langue idioms as in more broad thoughts that can be said the same way in English. Don't do those right and some stuff is lost or is just play weird. Hence why I find non Japan centric anime shows usually can have better dubs because the main story can be done in any langue.
3955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Estonia
Offline
Posted 5/23/13 , edited 5/23/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:

Perhaps I worded that wrong. I meant they are able to convey all the right emotions of their character (breathing "life" in the character). Whether they fit or not comes secondary and is more of a personal preference than anything (ie you think one character should have voice type A and the actor decides for a similar sounding voice that also "works"; voice type AB). An example would be Daru from Steins;Gate - the Japanese voice actor and English voice actor both portray the character well, but with differentiating performances. Like a scene where the Japanese voice actor used a lighter tone to his voice, and the English voice actor decided that a little bit more deeper tone was more appropriate - both fit that scene and stayed true to the character. Get what I'm trying to say?

A good example of progression over time in a dub is with Neon Genesis Evangelion - especially Spike Spencer (Shinji Ikari) and Allison Keith-Shipp (Misato Katsuragi). Then flash forward twelves years later to Rebuild of Evangelion and what do you get? Even greater voice acting (of course, they had all that time to improve, but still).

That percentage you gave above 95% of all dubs being bad, bump that down to 60%-75% percent at the very least because it's not the 1970's anymore. Also, note I said "improvement happens over time", nowhere do I say "change".

Improve: Make or become better

Change: Make or become different

Should I define different and better as well, or do you understand? By no means is this dub bad. Obviously, it isn't the greatest and nothing ever is. Just asking, but do you know the proper ways to pronounce the Japanese names (Kiritsugu, for example) correctly? If you don't you really don't have a right to say they butcher it.


I'm sorry but there's still generally awful decisions for voices. Like I said before Saber, and Einsbern girl, Gilgamesh, and some others, from what I checked out in the 5th episode.. They're still unfitting, and the improvements have been non-sufficient (Don't get me wrong, they've had quite a serious amount of improvement.. But still.), I don't find their general voices to be fitting at all. I did notice Lancer's voice has gotten better, and that sabers voice has gotten a bit more leveled.. But I still don't think it's even close to the Japanese version in terms of fitting voices and quality.. And it's generally inconsistent cause some of the lines are delivered well, and some others are delivered awfully. I think that's because what the characters say are pretty much a direct translation from the anime, and it being said in English just doesn't sound right.
So the quality of lines delivered is completely inconsistent.

Another problem with this is that the animation doesn't fit the speech. Alexander's voice doesn't fit the characters look that well. The voice acting is pretty close indeed to the inner character. But the look of the character is again another thing that's unfitting. I think that's the biggest wall for english dubs.
The reason why Desert Punk's dub was good, was because the characters had masks on most of the time, and the animation style was different from the ''usual''. Cromartie High schools dub was great again cause of the style of animation, and the voices were actually spot on. For both of these animes, dub was actually better than the original.
I think Death Note ISN'T the best dub there cause it has the above mentioned reasons associated with it, and the original voices were worlds better.
49602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/23/13 , edited 5/23/13

geenius3ab wrote:

I'm sorry but there's still generally awful decisions for voices. Like I said before Saber, and Einsbern girl, Gilgamesh, and some others, from what I checked out in the 5th episode.. They're still unfitting, and the improvements have been non-sufficient (Don't get me wrong, they've had quite a serious amount of improvement.. But still.), I don't find their general voices to be fitting at all. I did notice Lancer's voice has gotten better, and that sabers voice has gotten a bit more leveled.. But I still don't think it's even close to the Japanese version in terms of fitting voices and quality.. And it's generally inconsistent cause some of the lines are delivered well, and some others are delivered awfully. I think that's because what the characters say are pretty much a direct translation from the anime, and it being said in English just doesn't sound right.
So the quality of lines delivered is completely inconsistent.

Another problem with this is that the animation doesn't fit the speech. Alexander's voice doesn't fit the characters look that well. The voice acting is pretty close indeed to the inner character. But the look of the character is again another thing that's unfitting. I think that's the biggest wall for english dubs.
The reason why Desert Punk's dub was good, was because the characters had masks on most of the time, and the animation style was different from the ''usual''. Cromartie High schools dub was great again cause of the style of animation, and the voices were actually spot on. For both of these animes, dub was actually better than the original.
I think Death Note ISN'T the best dub there cause it has the above mentioned reasons associated with it, and the original voices were worlds better.


You don't have to say you're sorry as you're not at any fault, so stop saying it. Ok?

The Japanese version is better, I would have to agree with you on that point. When you say "pretty much a direct translation from the anime", what exactly do you mean? As in, the script the actors and actresses read off of or what?

Again, as I said earlier, ultimately, when it comes down to it, whether or not the voice "fits" the character is up to an individual's personal preference (although, like you said, the style of animation does play a factor into it). What I'm focusing on is the issue that they are still improving as the series progresses, and thus, it is too early to judge. By no means does that mean you can't, and shouldn't, judge the dub as it is now, but just take that into consideration. Your opinion may not change in the end, but at least you can say you watched the whole thing before writing it off. No?
3955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Estonia
Offline
Posted 5/24/13 , edited 5/24/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:

You don't have to say you're sorry as you're not at any fault, so stop saying it. Ok?

The Japanese version is better, I would have to agree with you on that point. When you say "pretty much a direct translation from the anime", what exactly do you mean? As in, the script the actors and actresses read off of or what?

Again, as I said earlier, ultimately, when it comes down to it, whether or not the voice "fits" the character is up to an individual's personal preference (although, like you said, the style of animation does play a factor into it). What I'm focusing on is the issue that they are still improving as the series progresses, and thus, it is too early to judge. By no means does that mean you can't, and shouldn't, judge the dub as it is now, but just take that into consideration. Your opinion may not change in the end, but at least you can say you watched the whole thing before writing it off. No?


I do say that Fate/Zero has one of the better dubs out there. Because I watched a few episodes and my ears didn't explode like it's usually the case.

By direct translation I mean that the lines are translated so that the meaning of the line stays the same. Maybe you've noticed that some lines are delivered quite well, and some others are delivered awfully. I think the reason for that is both the low skill of the voice actors and the dialogue that they need to follow. There are lines that are just awkward to say in English, and it shows.

I don't think it's quite that subjective of a thing to be quite honest. Sure you may like certain characters voices, etc. But there's still tons of things that we can use to judge the voice actors work. I used the line ''Breathing life in to the character'', and that indeed can be subjective considering that all of us have different imaginations of the character. But the problem comes when you start unconciously lowering your expectations and start thinking ''just go with it''. Because I've seen many different anime fans that have liked dubs that quite honestly have destroyed my brain with every single word that the voice actors said.
I think a good voice actor needs to have a consistent voice, that delivers the lines without losing the characters voice (Which isn't quite the case with dubs, even in Fate/zero there are cases where the voices are inconsistent.). They need to be able to express the characters emotions with their voice. They need to make the characters voices fit their looks (This is one of the few things that riders voice wasn't THAT great.), actions, and character. When the voice actor chooses a role, they'll need to think of all of those things.

I don't think American voice actors will reach the level of the Japanese unless they start having far more competition., Although I'm generally of the belief that majority of animes just aren't quite meant to be voice acted in English. Which is why I'd think that if you really like animes, and you can read at decent speed, than you should watch it with subs, cause it's generally a better experience.
49602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/24/13 , edited 5/24/13

geenius3ab wrote:

By direct translation I mean that the lines are translated so that the meaning of the line stays the same. Maybe you've noticed that some lines are delivered quite well, and some others are delivered awfully. I think the reason for that is both the low skill of the voice actors and the dialogue that they need to follow. There are lines that are just awkward to say in English, and it shows.

I don't think it's quite that subjective of a thing to be quite honest. Sure you may like certain characters voices, etc. But there's still tons of things that we can use to judge the voice actors work. I used the line ''Breathing life in to the character'', and that indeed can be subjective considering that all of us have different imaginations of the character. But the problem comes when you start unconciously lowering your expectations and start thinking ''just go with it''. Because I've seen many different anime fans that have liked dubs that quite honestly have destroyed my brain with every single word that the voice actors said.
I think a good voice actor needs to have a consistent voice, that delivers the lines without losing the characters voice (Which isn't quite the case with dubs, even in Fate/zero there are cases where the voices are inconsistent.). They need to be able to express the characters emotions with their voice. They need to make the characters voices fit their looks (This is one of the few things that riders voice wasn't THAT great.), actions, and character. When the voice actor chooses a role, they'll need to think of all of those things.

I don't think American voice actors will reach the level of the Japanese unless they start having far more competition., Although I'm generally of the belief that majority of animes just aren't quite meant to be voice acted in English. Which is why I'd think that if you really like animes, and you can read at decent speed, than you should watch it with subs, cause it's generally a better experience.


Which brings me back to the whole issue on opinions. Of course, the Japanese are going to be the better voice actors since they've been doing it inside and out since the 1933 with Chikara to Onna no Yo no Naka. Personally, I think your explanation that "they make your ears explode" or "destroyed your brain" was uncalled for, but that's not important (meaning, that was a little harsh, and it's usually someone who watches subs and avoids dubs like the plague who says stuff like that). Direct translations are very hard, if not impossible, and that goes for any language. Also, I think your expectations for a dub are a little high, as nobody is perfect 100% (the whole making your voice fit the character is sometimes impossible and can't be helped. People aren't voice changers after all.) and furthermore - how can you be sure what you're hearing with the original Japanese version isn't "bad" as well? I'm personally fine with both dubs and subs, as long as I get the story I don't care what language it's in. That's the beauty of storytelling. I mean no offense with any of this, I'm just saying; I view this as a discussion, not an argument.

The main thing, though, it what you are in fact claiming that is not quite subjective, in the end, actually is (what you think is your opinion). Sure, the experience and talent, if you will, of the voice actor/actress in question plays a factor into, but ultimately, if you find something "off" with the voice it's going to turn you away in some fashion or vice versa. That is your own personal evaluation of that said actor/actresses and, therefore, is an opinion. Now, not to say you can't be objective, but that is only about that individual's true skills and faults as a voice actor/actress.

Subjective: Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

Out of curiosity, how many dubs have you actually seen? Such as: Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop? Texhnolyze? Serial Experiments Lain? Black Lagoon? Haibane Renmei? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Excel Saga? Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom? Neon Genesis Evangelion? Birdy the Mighty: Decode? Last Exile? Shiki? Kino's Journey? Ga Rei Zero? Noir? Baccano? Ergo Proxy? Neia_7? Azumanga Diaoh? School Rumble? Gasaraki? Flag? Gundam? Freezing? Fullmetal Alchemist? Rideback? Another? Ah! My Goddess? Chobits? Pani Poni Dash? The list goes on and on. I just wanted to know, out of curiosity.
84339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/24/13
Shrapnel893 didn't you say you watch most your animes dubbed? and you also mentioned you compare the dubbed with subs, right?

I am not crazy. I don't think I am, lol.
49602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/24/13 , edited 5/24/13

AnimeKami wrote:

Shrapnel893 didn't you say you watch most your animes dubbed? and you also mentioned you compare the dubbed with subs, right?

I am not crazy. I don't think I am, lol.


Well yes, and no. I don't compare them, usually. I watch both to get a feel of both languages and how they operate. Like, for instance, one of the first scenes in Birdy the Mighty: Decode:

It was the scene were Birdy and Tuto were discussing Earth and its inhabitants and living on the planet. In the Japanese version, as the scene panned away from the two of them talking to the city outside their apartment, the music that was playing became gradually louder until it overcame the voices. In the English version, as the scene is panning away from the two of them, the voices are dominant and everything else takes more or less of a backseat.

Another example is Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance. In the Japanese version, the ambient sounds are more pronounced than in the English version. Like, for example, when Shinji is visiting his mother's grave at the beginning and he sees Gendo with standing over the grave with flowers placed on it. In the Japanese version, the wind hitting the plastic of the bag is clearly heard even when they are talking and during the close up to said bag, but in the English version it is barely even noticeable. This may be due to a number of factors though, as well.
84339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/24/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:



Well thank you for the enlightening post. I myself do not watch many dubs and would not be able to notice the subtle difference between the two, as you mentioned the "the sound in EVA"

Of course having experience with watching dubs such as yourself, one has a different outlook on many things. The anime community can certainly read more into certain anime dubs and evaluate it in a deeper level than brushing it off by listening to a 1 minute preview.

15076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Mission Viejo, CA
Offline
Posted 5/24/13


Well put friend. That's how I'd like to describe the difference too... although I can't really put it into words. Aesthetically the subs are better than the dubs. It's like it makes better art or something. Haha.
49602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/24/13

AnimeKami wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:



Well thank you for the enlightening post. I myself do not watch many dubs and would not be able to notice the subtle difference between the two, as you mentioned the "the sound in EVA"

Of course having experience with watching dubs such as yourself, one has a different outlook on many things. The anime community can certainly read more into certain anime dubs and evaluate it in a deeper level than brushing it off by listening to a 1 minute preview.



84339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/24/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:



Well thank you for the enlightening post. I myself do not watch many dubs and would not be able to notice the subtle difference between the two, as you mentioned the "the sound in EVA"

Of course having experience with watching dubs such as yourself, one has a different outlook on many things. The anime community can certainly read more into certain anime dubs and evaluate it in a deeper level than brushing it off by listening to a 1 minute preview.





Honest remark. If it was sarcasm the lol would been thrown on.
3955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Estonia
Offline
Posted 5/24/13 , edited 5/24/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:

Which brings me back to the whole issue on opinions. Of course, the Japanese are going to be the better voice actors since they've been doing it inside and out since the 1933 with Chikara to Onna no Yo no Naka. Personally, I think your explanation that "they make your ears explode" or "destroyed your brain" was uncalled for, but that's not important (meaning, that was a little harsh, and it's usually someone who watches subs and avoids dubs like the plague who says stuff like that). Direct translations are very hard, if not impossible, and that goes for any language. Also, I think your expectations for a dub are a little high, as nobody is perfect 100% (the whole making your voice fit the character is sometimes impossible and can't be helped. People aren't voice changers after all.) and furthermore - how can you be sure what you're hearing with the original Japanese version isn't "bad" as well? I'm personally fine with both dubs and subs, as long as I get the story I don't care what language it's in. That's the beauty of storytelling. I mean no offense with any of this, I'm just saying; I view this as a discussion, not an argument.

The main thing, though, it what you are in fact claiming that is not quite subjective, in the end, actually is (what you think is your opinion). Sure, the experience and talent, if you will, of the voice actor/actress in question plays a factor into, but ultimately, if you find something "off" with the voice it's going to turn you away in some fashion or vice versa. That is your own personal evaluation of that said actor/actresses and, therefore, is an opinion. Now, not to say you can't be objective, but that is only about that individual's true skills and faults as a voice actor/actress.

Subjective: Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

Out of curiosity, how many dubs have you actually seen? Such as: Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop? Texhnolyze? Serial Experiments Lain? Black Lagoon? Haibane Renmei? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Excel Saga? Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom? Neon Genesis Evangelion? Birdy the Mighty: Decode? Last Exile? Shiki? Kino's Journey? Ga Rei Zero? Noir? Baccano? Ergo Proxy? Neia_7? Azumanga Diaoh? School Rumble? Gasaraki? Flag? Gundam? Freezing? Fullmetal Alchemist? Rideback? Another? Ah! My Goddess? Chobits? Pani Poni Dash? The list goes on and on. I just wanted to know, out of curiosity.


It's actually true. I feel actual physical pain, when I listen to awful dubs. It's like when something extremely annoys you and your head starts hurting. >_>
Expectations are high? When can you objectively judge something, without comparing it to the original. Of course I put the same requirements onto the original voice actors as well.
You say that ''I might be hearing it wrong''. Alright I can't say that I'm 100% correct, just like I can't say that ''I'm not crazy''. But the same goes for you. Consider this that I'm bringing out valid reasons why English dubs aren't all that good.You're barking on the wrong tree, instead of saying ''It's all your opinion so it doesn't matter. Try to argue with examples. I'm for some reason getting this feeling that you're getting uber defensive with your lack of examples, but still say that ''It's all opinions.''
Now than shall I explain what I think. What I think means that it's what I see subjectively, I'm not quite sure if it's true. But I have good reasoning and I bring out the examples. And if you start labeling everything a ''opinion'', than I send the same thing back at ya and we'll get nowhere little miss.

There ARE bad japanese voice actors for example ''Cromartie high school'' and ''Desert Punk'' had some quite ''bad ones'' (Their voice didn't fit the style or the look of the characters.). Dragon Balls's Kakarot's voice is unfitting. While the English dub hit the nail straight on the wall (And even Kakarot was a bit better in English.). But 99.9% of the time the japanese voices have a consistent voice, which continues throughout the series, and they've always been able to fit the emotions of the scene.

I've taken a look at the english dubs for Evangelion, Baccano, Ergo Proxy, Chobits, Cowboy Bebop, Full metal panic. All of them had the same problems I wrote down before, and all of those animes had 1-2 voice actors which gave me headaches.
Good English dubs : Cromartie High School, Desert Punk.
Decent English dubs : DragonBall Z
I don't HATE the english language, quite the opposite. But I can still be annoyed by bad voice acting.
For example all the rave about the english dub of Cowboy Bebop, I can't understand. Because when I look at it, it doesn't look like living breathing characters. The voices are pretty consistent, which is good, but again the voices don't fit the characters.. Japanese voices are consistent as well, and they also fit the characters..
49602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/24/13 , edited 5/24/13

geenius3ab wrote:

It's actually true. I feel actual physical pain, when I listen to awful dubs. It's like when something extremely annoys you and your head starts hurting. >_>
Expectations are high? When can you objectively judge something, without comparing it to the original. Of course I put the same requirements onto the original voice actors as well.
You say that ''I might be hearing it wrong''. Alright I can't say that I'm 100% correct, just like I can't say that ''I'm not crazy''. But the same goes for you. Consider this that I'm bringing out valid reasons why English dubs aren't all that good.You're barking on the wrong tree, instead of saying ''It's all your opinion so it doesn't matter. Try to argue with examples. I'm for some reason getting this feeling that you're getting uber defensive with your lack of examples, but still say that ''It's all opinions.''
Now than shall I explain what I think. What I think means that it's what I see subjectively, I'm not quite sure if it's true. But I have good reasoning and I bring out the examples. And if you start labeling everything a ''opinion'', than I send the same thing back at ya and we'll get nowhere little miss.

There ARE bad japanese voice actors for example ''Cromartie high school'' and ''Desert Punk'' had some quite ''bad ones'' (Their voice didn't fit the style or the look of the characters.). Dragon Balls's Kakarot's voice is unfitting. While the English dub hit the nail straight on the wall (And even Kakarot was a bit better in English.). But 99.9% of the time the japanese voices have a consistent voice, which continues throughout the series, and they've always been able to fit the emotions of the scene.

I've taken a look at the english dubs for Evangelion, Baccano, Ergo Proxy, Chobits, Cowboy Bebop, Full metal panic. All of them had the same problems I wrote down before, and all of those animes had 1-2 voice actors which gave me headaches.
Good English dubs : Cromartie High School, Desert Punk.
Decent English dubs : DragonBall Z
I don't HATE the english language, quite the opposite. But I can still be annoyed by bad voice acting.
For example all the rave about the english dub of Cowboy Bebop, I can't understand. Because when I look at it, it doesn't look like living breathing characters. The voices are pretty consistent, which is good, but again the voices don't fit the characters.. Japanese voices are consistent as well, and they also fit the characters..


I don't view this as an argument. End of story.

I'm sorry you feel physical pain when hearing - you should probably get that checked out.

I never said "you may be hearing it wrong", I said "how are you sure what you're hearing with the original Japanese version is bad". How can you be sure that what you're hearing is consistent if you don't fully know the language being spoken? I probably am getting defensive when I don't mean to and for that I apologize. Are you saying that when watching it in Japanese all the voices are ok to you? None of them make you get a headache or annoy you like their English dub counterpart (like Cowboy Bepop)? Also, I don't really think the examples you give are truly examples either (like saying "inconsistent" or "unfitting"). What I mean is, specific examples would help (me, as well). Like going back to Birdy the Mighty: Decode - the English voice actress for Birdy (Luci Christian) gives her a more mature edge than Saeko Chiba, who goes with a more "childish" edge to how Birdy talks and responds to other characters (such as the first episode when she is going to arrest Giga). The different flairs each voice actress gives Birdy are still true to her character, and "fit", if you will.

Personally, I'd like to end this discussion. Or, if someone else than the two of us would offer their own (hopefully) insightful opinions that'd be fine too.
3955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Estonia
Offline
Posted 5/24/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:
I don't view this as an argument. End of story.

I'm sorry you feel physical pain when hearing - you should probably get that checked out.

I never said "you may be hearing it wrong", I said "how are you sure what you're hearing with the original Japanese version is bad". How can you be sure that what you're hearing is consistent if you don't fully know the language being spoken? I probably am getting defensive when I don't mean to and for that I apologize. Are you saying that when watching it in Japanese all the voices are ok to you? None of them make you get a headache or annoy you like their English dub counterpart (like Cowboy Bepop)? Also, I don't really think the examples you give are truly examples either (like saying "inconsistent" or "unfitting"). What I mean is, specific examples would help (me, as well). Like going back to Birdy the Mighty: Decode - the English voice actress for Birdy (Luci Christian) gives her a more mature edge than Saeko Chiba, who goes with a more "childish" edge to how Birdy talks and responds to other characters (such as the first episode when she is going to arrest Giga). The different flairs each voice actress gives Birdy are still true to her character, and "fit", if you will.

Personally, I'd like to end this discussion. Or, if someone else than the two of us would offer their own (hopefully) insightful opinions that'd be fine too.


Umm you know you're being closed-minded in the moment? I see that ''I don't view this as an argument'' as a wall that you put up to defend your opinion. Well alright if you don't intend to change your opinion than it's fine, saves me time to explain things to you.
Inconsistency as in the voices don't stay the same for their all lines, and some lines they say perfectly fine, while the others are said with obvious difficulty. Both of these things make for the consistency. Not bothering looking things up in the moment because it's too late. Just pay attention and you might notice it, because it's quite obviously present in dubs. If you really don't know just PM me and I'll look for a few scenes.

I guess you haven't found anything that would annoy you enough that it would make your head ache. It's nothing new in the world, and if I keep away from bad dubs, I'll be fine. And japanese voices are fine because they aren't inconsistent, and the voices themselves don't feel forced.

Birdy sounds like a 15-16 year old teen in the Japanese version who speaks in a cutesy style. The ''childish'' voice which you speak of is pretty much the voice of a cute japanese teen, and you're a teen yourself that's 17 years old... So I find it a bit strange of you to use the word ''childish''. But again it depends on how old the actual birdy is and how she's pictured by the author of this piece. Btw how is the English dubbed Birdy more ''mature''. She sounds like a 17 girl (Which is kinda similar to the 15 year old sounding ''Japanese birdy..), I'd still say that her voice doesn't fit Birdy's looks tbh.

P.S: I'm actually quite good at Japanese, and I can watch animes without subs and understand 90% of what's being spoken. Yes my japanese isn't good, but I can most certainly understand it.
49602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 5/24/13 , edited 5/24/13

geenius3ab wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:
I don't view this as an argument. End of story.

I'm sorry you feel physical pain when hearing - you should probably get that checked out.

I never said "you may be hearing it wrong", I said "how are you sure what you're hearing with the original Japanese version is bad". How can you be sure that what you're hearing is consistent if you don't fully know the language being spoken? I probably am getting defensive when I don't mean to and for that I apologize. Are you saying that when watching it in Japanese all the voices are ok to you? None of them make you get a headache or annoy you like their English dub counterpart (like Cowboy Bepop)? Also, I don't really think the examples you give are truly examples either (like saying "inconsistent" or "unfitting"). What I mean is, specific examples would help (me, as well). Like going back to Birdy the Mighty: Decode - the English voice actress for Birdy (Luci Christian) gives her a more mature edge than Saeko Chiba, who goes with a more "childish" edge to how Birdy talks and responds to other characters (such as the first episode when she is going to arrest Giga). The different flairs each voice actress gives Birdy are still true to her character, and "fit", if you will.

Personally, I'd like to end this discussion. Or, if someone else than the two of us would offer their own (hopefully) insightful opinions that'd be fine too.


Umm you know you're being closed-minded in the moment? I see that ''I don't view this as an argument'' as a wall that you put up to defend your opinion. Well alright if you don't intend to change your opinion than it's fine, saves me time to explain things to you.
Inconsistency as in the voices don't stay the same for their all lines, and some lines they say perfectly fine, while the others are said with obvious difficulty. Both of these things make for the consistency. Not bothering looking things up in the moment because it's too late. Just pay attention and you might notice it, because it's quite obviously present in dubs. If you really don't know just PM me and I'll look for a few scenes.

I guess you haven't found anything that would annoy you enough that it would make your head ache. It's nothing new in the world, and if I keep away from bad dubs, I'll be fine. And japanese voices are fine because they aren't inconsistent, and the voices themselves don't feel forced.

Birdy sounds like a 15-16 year old teen in the Japanese version who speaks in a cutesy style. The ''childish'' voice which you speak of is pretty much the voice of a cute japanese teen, and you're a teen yourself that's 17 years old... So I find it a bit strange of you to use the word ''childish''. But again it depends on how old the actual birdy is and how she's pictured by the author of this piece. Btw how is the English dubbed Birdy more ''mature''. She sounds like a 17 girl (Which is kinda similar to the 15 year old sounding ''Japanese birdy..), I'd still say that her voice doesn't fit Birdy's looks tbh.

P.S: I'm actually quite good at Japanese, and I can watch animes without subs and understand 90% of what's being spoken. Yes my japanese isn't good, but I can most certainly understand it.


As I said before - I don't view this as an argument and I never will. The main reason being is I am getting valuable information out of this discussion; conversation; debate. I wouldn't say our opinions are totally opposite, just differentiating in some ways.

I won't say close minded, just set in my opinion like yourself. Rarely anything annoys me, so it'd be hard for me to really comment on what does. Notice I put childish in quotations, which necessary doesn't mean I think it's childish, it's just the best word I could come up to describe her voice at that moment in time, and really, I believe what I was trying to say was the voice in correlation with her personality. Impatient and straight forward - I guess the childish part was from the impatience aspect. This isn't even about Birdy - I was trying to use her as an example to compare the two actresses' portrayals of said character and this is why I never do. The main point I was trying to make got derailed somewhere along the line and it was: wait until the dub is actually makes it all the way through to the end before writing it off, and most people don't do that before saying it's bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think (or know?) that when most Japanese voice actors and actresses utter each and every line they don't become even a little inconsistent over time or have difficulty with their roles? 99.9% is too hard to believe - perhaps 80-94%?

If you were good at Japanese you should have said something earlier and I would have changed my thoughts accordingly, but then again my thoughts are apparently jumbled.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.