First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Suicide.
5145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/30/13

KiteCross wrote:


darkhunt333 wrote:

Suicide is the second highest cause of death of people between 16-34. Highest being an accident. I'm confused as to why people and governments don't take mental illnesses more seriously.


It's simple: They don't give a shit.


You come in here and make a statment without any proof, The fact that it is reported shows there is concern, did you know that the catholic church would excommunicate anyone who committed suicide, and would not allow them to be buried in the church cemetary.

there was a time when you could get put inprison for attempting to commit suicide.

38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 5/30/13

spacebat wrote:



Well, now the burden of proof lies with you to procure such an individual. However, that's as likely as the LHC spawning pretty pink apocalyptic unicorns that shoot rainbow death beams from their eyes...


What about people who commit altruistic suicide?
Posted 5/30/13

AcadGlade wrote:


KiteCross wrote:


darkhunt333 wrote:

Suicide is the second highest cause of death of people between 16-34. Highest being an accident. I'm confused as to why people and governments don't take mental illnesses more seriously.


It's simple: They don't give a shit.


You come in here and make a statment without any proof, The fact that it is reported shows there is concern, did you know that the catholic church would excommunicate anyone who committed suicide, and would not allow them to be buried in the church cemetary.

there was a time when you could get put inprison for attempting to commit suicide.



You see there is a difference between demonstrating concern and taking action to alleviate the problem. And the use of fear and punishment as a deterrent against suicide is disgusting.
5145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/31/13

KiteCross wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:


KiteCross wrote:


darkhunt333 wrote:

Suicide is the second highest cause of death of people between 16-34. Highest being an accident. I'm confused as to why people and governments don't take mental illnesses more seriously.


It's simple: They don't give a shit.


You come in here and make a statment without any proof, The fact that it is reported shows there is concern, did you know that the catholic church would excommunicate anyone who committed suicide, and would not allow them to be buried in the church cemetary.

there was a time when you could get put inprison for attempting to commit suicide.



You see there is a difference between demonstrating concern and taking action to alleviate the problem. And the use of fear and punishment as a deterrent against suicide is disgusting.


exuse me, my first post was to show that it was known around the world and there were concern over it, In fact I just saw a report about how
In the United States
Each day, more than 20 former members
of the United States’ armed
forces commit suicide. Every month,
some 950 veterans who are receiving
care from the U.S. Department of Veterans
Affairs attempt suicide.

5145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/31/13

lordseth23 wrote:


spacebat wrote:



Well, now the burden of proof lies with you to procure such an individual. However, that's as likely as the LHC spawning pretty pink apocalyptic unicorns that shoot rainbow death beams from their eyes...


What about people who commit altruistic suicide?


I Really doubt that throwing yourself on a grenade should be called altuistic suicide, because I doubt the one falling on the grenade wanted to die in the first place.
Posted 5/31/13

AcadGlade wrote:


KiteCross wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:


KiteCross wrote:


darkhunt333 wrote:

Suicide is the second highest cause of death of people between 16-34. Highest being an accident. I'm confused as to why people and governments don't take mental illnesses more seriously.


It's simple: They don't give a shit.


You come in here and make a statment without any proof, The fact that it is reported shows there is concern, did you know that the catholic church would excommunicate anyone who committed suicide, and would not allow them to be buried in the church cemetary.

there was a time when you could get put inprison for attempting to commit suicide.



You see there is a difference between demonstrating concern and taking action to alleviate the problem. And the use of fear and punishment as a deterrent against suicide is disgusting.


exuse me, my first post was to show that it was known around the world and there were concern over it, In fact I just saw a report about how
In the United States
Each day, more than 20 former members
of the United States’ armed
forces commit suicide. Every month,
some 950 veterans who are receiving
care from the U.S. Department of Veterans
Affairs attempt suicide.




Okay fine they're "concerned," but really lets face it showing "concern," at this point is all we're doing. Showing concern without acting on it renders the issue itself pretty meaningless. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/health/suicide-rate-rises-sharply-in-us.html?_r=0

There I posted a link and I'm showing "concern," but am I going to do anything about it? Probably not. Also when I said "They don't give a shit." I meant that our government isn't going to tackle this issue. Politicians will show "concern" over this issue to sell and market their image to the people who will be voting for them, but afterwards they're not even going to bother to do anything. Not to mention the causes of suicide all vary so really it's an ongoing problem, but currently the suicide rates are high due to unemployment and the economy blah blah whatever.
13194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/13
I suppose I thought about it when I was not the person I am today. You know me being someone I hated because my life wasn't as great as I could make it. Now that I've become a person I love and am confident with who I am and not what other people think it hasn't crossed my mind in years. You just have to learn to love yourself and set goals and accomplish them. I know it may not work for everyone but I went from being a overweight anti social kid to a top athletic and socially acceptable person. Hard work and determination is the key to everything
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

AcadGlade wrote:



I Really doubt that throwing yourself on a grenade should be called altuistic suicide, because I doubt the one falling on the grenade wanted to die in the first place.


I think that the idea of altruistic suicide should extend beyond that spur-of-the-moment type of situation. Any suicide that directly improves the well-being of an individual should be considered altruistic, and I don't think that they should be considered the result of a mental illness when they are fundamentally no different than any other action one would take to benefit another.
3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 6/1/13 , edited 6/1/13

lordseth23 wrote:

I think that the idea of altruistic suicide should extend beyond that spur-of-the-moment type of situation. Any suicide that directly improves the well-being of an individual should be considered altruistic, and I don't think that they should be considered the result of a mental illness when they are fundamentally no different than any other action one would take to benefit another.


There is no such thing as an altruistic suicide. A man/woman throwing himself/herself on a grenade is not suicide. He/she accepts the possibility that they might die, but the intent is not to end their life but to save the life of others.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

spacebat wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:

I think that the idea of altruistic suicide should extend beyond that spur-of-the-moment type of situation. Any suicide that directly improves the well-being of an individual should be considered altruistic, and I don't think that they should be considered the result of a mental illness when they are fundamentally no different than any other action one would take to benefit another.


There is no such thing as an altruistic suicide. A man throwing himself on a grenade is not suicide. He/she accepts the possibility that they might die, but the intent is not to end their life but to save the life of others.


Isn't throwing yourself onto a grenade a guaranteed way to die?
3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

lordseth23 wrote:


Isn't throwing yourself onto a grenade a guaranteed way to die?


You miss the point. The intent is not to die but to save lives when you use your body to shield a grenade blast. When you commit suicide your intent is to end your own life. Big difference.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

spacebat wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:


Isn't throwing yourself onto a grenade a guaranteed way to die?


You miss the point. The intent is not to die but to save lives when you use your body to shield a grenade blast. When you commit suicide your intent is to end your own life. Big difference.


Ok, then why should committing suicide in order to benefit others not be considered altruistic?
3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

lordseth23 wrote:



Ok, then why should committing suicide in order to benefit others not be considered altruistic?


Because suicide isn't an act of selflessness. You don't seem to understand the difference of intent. I think you should go back and read our previous posts as I'm not going to repeat myself.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

spacebat wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:



Ok, then why should committing suicide in order to benefit others not be considered altruistic?


Because suicide isn't an act of selflessness. You don't seem to understand the difference of intent. I think you should go back and read our previous posts as I'm not going to repeat myself.


How isn't it an act of selflessness when it directly benefits another person? What do you think the definition of suicide is? What does intent have to do with killing yourself?

I did read everything that you previously posted, and you are obviously skirting the questions that you can't answer without admitting that you were wrong about one thing or another, so I suggest that you just stop now if you insist on being right all the time.
3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

lordseth23 wrote:

so I suggest that you just stop now if you insist on being right all the time.


I'm not interested in being right. I'm much more interested in you accepting that you are wrong and acknowledging why you are wrong. I am right too often to care.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.