First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Religion.
The Zombie
24264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/24/13 , edited 5/24/13
Religion can be discussed here. Please no knocking others religion. Learn from each others differences. Please keep the conversation mature and PG - 13.
The Zombie
24264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/25/13
Do you believe religion has a place in intellectual discussion, If not or if so why?
Posted 5/25/13
Science and religion are two things that will always be at war with each other. Having said there, religious discussions themselves can be intellectual, there is no issue there.
I just don't think scientists have a right to impose on religious discussions, and religion should not impose on the relentless march of science. - It only leads to trouble.
The Zombie
24264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/25/13 , edited 5/25/13

ATest wrote:

Science and religion are two things that will always be at war with each other. Having said there, religious discussions themselves can be intellectual, there is no issue there.
I just don't think scientists have a right to impose on religious discussions, and religion should not impose on the relentless march of science. - It only leads to trouble.


You could understand though why religious folk think they have a right to impose on Science though? (god created what is in Science) Been their argument.
Posted 5/25/13

99android777 wrote:
You could understand though why religious folk think they have a right to impose on Science though? (god created what is in Science) Been their argument.


Oh, I understand very well why they think they have the right. After all going against the teachings of the past is a dangerous thing to do. (That's also the exact same argument of conservative vs liberal.)
In my mind, human society exists to better understand our environment so that we may better take care of ourselves. This is what most researchers are trying to do, and therefore they should be left alone. The fact that this research has made everyone's lives better is widely accepted, yet nobody knows that we've had to almost fight tooth and nail for every little advance.

Note, I am all for moral guidance for research ... I work in a bio lab myself and some of that stuff can be used for very very bad things. But, moral guidance does not mean imposing values. There's a big difference there.
The Zombie
24264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/25/13

ATest wrote:


99android777 wrote:
You could understand though why religious folk think they have a right to impose on Science though? (god created what is in Science) Been their argument.


Oh, I understand very well why they think they have the right. After all going against the teachings of the past is a dangerous thing to do. (That's also the exact same argument of conservative vs liberal.)
In my mind, human society exists to better understand our environment so that we may better take care of ourselves. This is what most researchers are trying to do, and therefore they should be left alone. The fact that this research has made everyone's lives better is widely accepted, yet nobody knows that we've had to almost fight tooth and nail for every little advance.

Note, I am all for moral guidance for research ... I work in a bio lab myself and some of that stuff can be used for very very bad things. But, moral guidance does not mean imposing values. There's a big difference there.


Unfortunately some people feel their religious beliefs are for the betterment of humanity also which is debatable.
Posted 5/25/13 , edited 5/25/13
And what is your opinion on this?
The Zombie
24264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/25/13

ATest wrote:

And what is your opinion on this?


I'm spiritual and not religious, I would say organized religion is an outdated system,
Posted 5/25/13

99android777 wrote:

I'm spiritual and not religious, I would say organized religion is an outdated system,


Even if organized religion can still serve a purpose of teaching people to be nice to each other? We have to remember, that Roman Catholicism is foundational in western culture and courtesy/societal 'harmony'.

The Zombie
24264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/25/13 , edited 5/25/13

ATest wrote:


99android777 wrote:

I'm spiritual and not religious, I would say organized religion is an outdated system,


Even if organized religion can still serve a purpose of teaching people to be nice to each other? We have to remember, that Roman Catholicism is foundational in western culture and courtesy/societal 'harmony'.



A new system could be perhaps made by someone, one which is more harmonious with the current state of things,
Posted 5/25/13

99android777 wrote:
A new system could be perhaps made by someone, one which is more harmonious with the current state of things,


Harmonious? Honestly, I think as long as humanity is still individualistic, and preaching the individual as the solution ... I don't think anything will work no matter how well intentioned.
The Zombie
24264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/25/13
I think you may be right.
Moderator
hiya34 
50761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Albuquerque NM
Offline
Posted 5/25/13

99android777 wrote:

Do you believe religion has a place in intellectual discussion, If not or if so why?


No I don't at all. There is no evidence for any piece of religious work or text; Basically books left behind by our ancestors. People are ignorant for believing in them so unconditionally.
Posted 5/25/13

hiya34 wrote:
No I don't at all. There is no evidence for any piece of religious work or text; Basically books left behind by our ancestors. People are ignorant for believing in them so unconditionally.


But is it possible for us to distill the lessons these books of our ancestors left us? For example, the being nice to others. - I know a lot of the lessons seem given, but then I look around the world and it seems like a lot of people don't take it as a given.
Moderator
hiya34 
50761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Albuquerque NM
Offline
Posted 5/26/13

ATest wrote:


hiya34 wrote:
No I don't at all. There is no evidence for any piece of religious work or text; Basically books left behind by our ancestors. People are ignorant for believing in them so unconditionally.


But is it possible for us to distill the lessons these books of our ancestors left us? For example, the being nice to others. - I know a lot of the lessons seem given, but then I look around the world and it seems like a lot of people don't take it as a given.


No I will admit that some teachings of the kuran, bible etc. are useful in todays society. The problem is that people take the teachings WAYYY too far.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.