First  Prev  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  Next  Last
Post Reply Free! Discussion Thread - Season 1 & 2!!
22760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 8/14/13
Episode 6


Oh well. lol
24921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 8/14/13 , edited 8/15/13
Edited Episode 6 Endcard...asdfjkl;
It took me 1 hour to think of a good caption for this lol...
7613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 8/14/13

irtiza9169 wrote:

There should be a caption contest for this.... LOL




"Haru-chan.....I"m bigger than you are!"


Best episode so far. Loved the bromance aspect...


I'm really starting to like Makoto. He's just....dreamy....
56597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 8/14/13 , edited 8/14/13
I looked at that end picture again , and then a more PG rating line came out of my head

Nagisa: Wow... Haru chan , those are impressive tan line !!!
Haruka: Ah really , well ah ,yours too



tinnic 
49396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 8/14/13 , edited 8/15/13

Nogara-san wrote:

Best episode so far. Loved the bromance aspect...


Actually his fear of the water has about the same foundation as the original novel version. I.e. he (and Haru too actually) were haunted by the line of mourners and Makoto later learnt that funeral had been for a fishing vessel that went down that resulted in a large number of people dying.



If you go back and read Chapter 3 again, you'll see that it makes it clear that,

1. Makoto has been afraid of the water a very long time

2. Makoto specifically tells Haru its the fishermen drowning incident that caused him to develop his fear

3. The other incident reinforces not starts his fear

Only thing the anime added was the old man who is implied to be the owner of the boat that went down. Thus giving Makoto a personal tie to the incident while in the book Makoto didn't have any. Plus they also tied the goldfish dying to the old man while in the novel it was more a coincidence of timing but one that made him think of water as being lifeless and without purpose and make Makoto run out of the house in search of Haru for the sake of his sanity.

Lastly, I think the other incident might still come-up at some point. But the other incident involved Makoto, Haru and Rin, so I don't think it will come into play without Rin being present.
57594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Yo Mama's House
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
Too easy of a punching bag this good girl. "LAWL"


That shirt itself is hilarious.


For funzors:
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 8/15/13 , edited 8/15/13
Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in the story that brought about Makoto's fear of the ocean...

It's not that I don't understand how such an event could bring about such a fear, I just don't feel like some event that he wasn't around to even witness should be the vessel for a past trauma with such emotional impact in a show. I mean, they were foreshadowing this for 3 episodes now as if he failed trying to save a drowning family member or something, but no, it's some random fisherman guy he thought was nice... ?
55098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

irtiza9169 wrote:

There should be a caption contest for this.... LOL




I don't want to get a warning point.

tinnic 
49396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 8/15/13 , edited 8/15/13

zipzo wrote:

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in the story that brought about Makoto's fear of the ocean...

It's not that I don't understand how such an event could bring about such a fear, I just don't feel like some event that he wasn't around to even witness should be the vessel for a past trauma with such emotional impact in a show. I mean, they were foreshadowing this for 3 episodes now as if he failed trying to save a drowning family member or something, but no, it's some random fisherman guy he thought was nice... ?


But it makes perfect sense though when you take his age into factor and the magnitude of the funeral. I mean, that old man was "anime only". In the novel Makoto didn't even have any personal connections to the people who died. But the scale of their funeral disturbed both Haru and Makoto and when Makoto later found out they drowned and drown just 3km off the coast, THAT'S when he developed a fear of the ocean.

So the first point of trauma was the funeral itself. Quoting from the book, the emotionally stronger Haru remembered the funeral as,



If Haru, emotionally cool and collected Haru can develop a complex about being in groups from that funeral... that says a lot IMO.

Now warning: the next bit has not been covered in the anime yet. But Rin was also there, not with Haru and Makoto but he was there, and he recalled the funeral as,



Even adding in the old man, if just the old man had died, I doubt Makoto would have been that traumatised. It was the scale of the tragedy, the scale of the funeral that they witnessed that made that piece of memory something both Haru and Makoto could never forget. However, what cemented Makoto's fear was the 3km off the coast thing. Because this is what he says to Haru in the novel about the foundation of his fear.



I think it was a nice touch to add the old man and die the gold fish to the old man and make things a tad personal for Makoto but at the same time I think Kyoto Animation over simplified things because now people think its about the old man drowning. No, no, it's about a lot of people drowning including the old man just 3km off the coast. Had the genesis of Makoto's fear been, as you suggested,

zipzo wrote:as if he failed trying to save a drowning family member or something
then the root cause of Makoto's fear would have been guilt. However, as things are now, it is a genuine fear born out of an understanding that the Ocean is a force of nature that should not be trifled with no matter who you are or how good your swimming skills are. So for me it packs more of an impact.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 8/15/13 , edited 8/15/13



You missed my point though...I'm not saying that the circumstance is unreasonable.

I'm just saying it probably would have had a more meaningful impact if they went with something more related to...you know, actually him or someone close to him.
tinnic 
49396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

zipzo wrote:




You missed my point though...I'm not saying that the circumstance is unreasonable.

I'm just saying it probably would have had a more meaningful impact if they went with something more related to...you know, actually him or someone close to him.


No I didn't miss you point. I just disagree with you. Because what you are suggesting is that because it was a group of strangers, Makoto should not have been as effected if a family member or friend was involved... that just does't make any sense to me. More importantly, its not in keeping with Makoto's personality. Makoto is altruistic enough to jump in front of a speeding train in an attempt to save a stranger. It doesn't matter to him that he didn't know those people. He's empathetic enough to still feel for them.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

tinnic wrote:


zipzo wrote:




You missed my point though...I'm not saying that the circumstance is unreasonable.

I'm just saying it probably would have had a more meaningful impact if they went with something more related to...you know, actually him or someone close to him.


No I didn't miss you point. I just disagree with you. Because what you are suggesting is that because it was a group of strangers, Makoto should not have been as effected if a family member or friend was involved... that just does't make any sense to me. More importantly, its not in keeping with Makoto's personality. Makoto is altruistic enough to jump in front of a speeding train in an attempt to save a stranger. It doesn't matter to him that he didn't know those people. He's empathetic enough to still feel for them.


Uh, yeah, you clearly did miss my point.

I'll repeat myself. I'm not saying that the circumstance is unreasonable. This means your statement here...


Because what you are suggesting is that because it was a group of strangers, Makoto should not have been as effected if a family member or friend was involved


...is a good example of how what I'm saying is wooshing over your head.

Again...I don't think it's unnatural that he is affected by what happened. You just can't logically deny the fact that it would have a much thicker potential emotional impact (for him and most importantly the viewers) if it were something related to him or his family.

You can argue all day that his situation has the potential to be just as emotionally scarring or whatever though, but it doesn't make my point any less valid.
tinnic 
49396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

zipzo wrote:


tinnic wrote:


zipzo wrote:




You missed my point though...I'm not saying that the circumstance is unreasonable.

I'm just saying it probably would have had a more meaningful impact if they went with something more related to...you know, actually him or someone close to him.


No I didn't miss you point. I just disagree with you. Because what you are suggesting is that because it was a group of strangers, Makoto should not have been as effected if a family member or friend was involved... that just does't make any sense to me. More importantly, its not in keeping with Makoto's personality. Makoto is altruistic enough to jump in front of a speeding train in an attempt to save a stranger. It doesn't matter to him that he didn't know those people. He's empathetic enough to still feel for them.


Uh, yeah, you clearly did miss my point.

I'll repeat myself. I'm not saying that the circumstance is unreasonable. This means your statement here...


Because what you are suggesting is that because it was a group of strangers, Makoto should not have been as effected if a family member or friend was involved


...is a good example of how what I'm saying is wooshing over your head.

Again...I don't think it's unnatural that he is affected by what happened. You just can't logically deny the fact that it would have a much thicker potential emotional impact (for him and most importantly the viewers) if it were something related to him or his family.

You can argue all day that his situation has the potential to be just as emotionally scarring or whatever though, but it doesn't make my point any less valid.


*sigh* We are talking about two different kinds of fears here. Makoto doesn't fear losing people to the ocean, which would be the type of fear he develops if the old man was a his grandfather or something. But that's not here or there. The writers clearly did not what Makoto have a fear of loss - which would have been the true root of his fear had he lost someone close to him. They also didn't want guilt to be the basis of his fear - which would have been the true root of his fear had he failed to rescue someone who drowned. Makoto fears the water itself, the living water that has a force to stop people from swimming to safety even if the distance is just 3km off the shore, a distance that Makoto believe the fisherman should have been able to easily cover.

I am sure to some people, and clearly to yourself, Makoto fearing loss or Makoto being afraid due to guilt might make more sense or be more impactful but for me, I prefer the more primal fear of water as a power that cannot be controlled. For me it had more impact because let's face it, the other two kinds of fear are common and that's probably why a lot of people who hadn't read the novel expected it was either guilt or loss that drove Makoto. Indeed, why even the anime threw in a sense of loss with the old man just to play it safe. But for me it wasn't necessary and that's why I said I disagree with you.
1995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
Just saw episode 6... Makoto why you regain consciousness then I wanted to see Haru give you mouth to mouth
9256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
First  Prev  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.