Post Reply Roku Spanish Subs
12008 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 5/29/13
How can I get crunchyroll on roku to produce spanish subtitles instead of english? Please help!!!
One Punch Mod
46181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 5/30/13 , edited 5/30/13

helloyael wrote:

How can I get crunchyroll on roku to produce spanish subtitles instead of english? Please help!!!

Here's what I just tried, and it worked for me. Change the default in your profile, and that change will carry through when you view on Roku--apparently it does not just apply to when you view via the website.

Go to your user page and click "Edit Profile"
Under Account settings, click "Video Preferences"
Change default language to "Español"

On your Roku I'm not sure if you need to leave the CR channel then go back into it (that happens to be what I did), but once you do you should see the Spanish subtitles when you play an episode--at least on shows where that's available. For example, I just watched the first few minutes of Gargantia ep 8, with Spanish subtitles, on my Roku.

ETA: HOWEVER, it seems that this is not flawless. I was able to see Gargantia on the Roku with the Spanish subtitles, but I tried a few other shows and got a "content not currently available message" (even though they do play just fine on the website with the Spanish subtitles and when I changed back to English I could access them again on Roku). Now that I think of it, this sounds vaguely familiar. I bet someone else reported the same thing.

I'm guessing that the Roku app for some reason associates language with region, and does not consider the US to be a Spanish-speaking region (wrong!). Gargantia is available on CR in Central and South America, but a couple of the other titles I tried are not (e.g. Folktales from Japan). There was a kind of weird case with Nyarko-san--the latest season, at least, should be available worldwide except Japan based on the New Spring Titles announcement, but that was also unavailable on Roku when I changed the subtitles to Spanish.
Vegetable Support Manager
Bjaker 
36391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 5/30/13


Lorreen is spot on! If you change your language in the Video Preferences that will reflect on your Roku.

There are some shows (mainly TV Tokyo titles) Where we do not have the rights to stream Spanish Subtitles in the US. So that is probably why they aren't working on the Roku but they are on the PC (because of a bug).

If you can tell me which shows these are I can investigate further. There may be something wrong with the permissioning which is allowing them to work half the time!
One Punch Mod
46181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

Bjaker wrote:



Lorreen is spot on! If you change your language in the Video Preferences that will reflect on your Roku.

There are some shows (mainly TV Tokyo titles) Where we do not have the rights to stream Spanish Subtitles in the US. So that is probably why they aren't working on the Roku but they are on the PC (because of a bug).

If you can tell me which shows these are I can investigate further. There may be something wrong with the permissioning which is allowing them to work half the time!

Just went through my whole anime queue. Here's what I found:

For most titles where I received the "no content available" error message on Roku after I changed my default language to Español, I was able to see Spanish subtitles when I played the episodes on the website, but there were three where I got English subtitles.

The other problem I found with a number of series was that Roku would just show "Retrieving" for a very long time (this might possibly go on forever--I didn't have the patience to find out if it ever did eventually do anything else). All of the episodes I experienced this with showed English subs on the website.

Both of these occured when I clicked on the series image in my queue--it never let me get to the list of episodes in the show. A full list of my encounter with the above and a couple of other situations is below the spoiler.

Vegetable Support Manager
Bjaker 
36391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 6/3/13

lorreen wrote:


Bjaker wrote:



Lorreen is spot on! If you change your language in the Video Preferences that will reflect on your Roku.

There are some shows (mainly TV Tokyo titles) Where we do not have the rights to stream Spanish Subtitles in the US. So that is probably why they aren't working on the Roku but they are on the PC (because of a bug).

If you can tell me which shows these are I can investigate further. There may be something wrong with the permissioning which is allowing them to work half the time!

Just went through my whole anime queue. Here's what I found:

For most titles where I received the "no content available" error message on Roku after I changed my default language to Español, I was able to see Spanish subtitles when I played the episodes on the website, but there were three where I got English subtitles.

The other problem I found with a number of series was that Roku would just show "Retrieving" for a very long time (this might possibly go on forever--I didn't have the patience to find out if it ever did eventually do anything else). All of the episodes I experienced this with showed English subs on the website.

Both of these occured when I clicked on the series image in my queue--it never let me get to the list of episodes in the show. A full list of my encounter with the above and a couple of other situations is below the spoiler.




Got it!
With just a cursory glance over the list, here is what I can tell you about them and how the subtitles system works on Roku.

The first chunk - Mostly TV Tokyo titles where we do not have the rights to air Spanish Subtitles in the US.
Oreimo - We have the rights to stream this ONLY in Spanish or English in a country. So for the US we are streaming in English.
Arata through House of 5 Leaves - The Roku is only going to air content that has Spanish subtitles, when the language setting is in Spanish. These shows will not show up if you go to the Anime section and search, but since they're in your queue that's why they're showing up.
Same things with Majestic Prince & SNAFU.

Building out support for subtitles in our many different platforms has been interesting. It's definitely something we're aware we need to work on!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me a run down of what's up! I'm still going to have someone from the Launch team take a look just to make sure everything is working as it should be!

57550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Yo Mama's House
Offline
Posted 6/3/13

lorreen wrote:

[Los animes con espanol sub en la systema Roku.]


That's quite the effort. You truly are the best. "LAWL"
One Punch Mod
46181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/3/13

zendude wrote:


lorreen wrote:

[Los animes con espanol sub en la systema Roku.]


That's quite the effort. You truly are the best. "LAWL"


Me río a carcajadas.

I'm too curious I guess, and I just couldn't let it go without poking at it. It took more time than effort, and not even all that much time.


You must be logged in to post.