First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply School Days...
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
I offer a challenge.

Can anyone without any spoilers at all, explain why watching this anime would be a bad idea or a waste of time? I would advise using words or concepts similar to "Unsatisfying" or "Makes you angry", or other similar modes of explanation. Anything but something that would spoil the plot (a bit of it is already spoiled because of how people act about the ending, regardless of whether they say what actually happened or not). I can derive and presume off of very little facts given, so I challenge someone to be careful in telling me why I shouldn't watch this anime without spoiling it.

If anything I feel like I should watch it just so I know what everyone is talking about...whether it is good or not, but if the show is truly a huge waste of time then I'd rather spend those ~5 hours getting invested in a different anime.

Thanks for any attempts at this challenge.
15488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
sounds like a personal thread, but here's my opinion on it:

if you plan to watch anime often this should be something you'll eventually have to watch, be it a good or bad experience.
55086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 5/30/13

School Days is a decent drama anime but the ending
turned a lot of people off. I kinda liked the ending. I thought it was totally deserved.
As for why it's become a big issue in the anime community,
it's because it's unique and people didn't see that ending coming.
It must be the shock of watching it.

Though I must say, it's really not that bad.
People pick and choose what they whine about, in this case, they picked School Days.
With that said, I still wouldn't recommend this to anyone new to anime.




8607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
i think everyone should watch it just make sure you have something you can punch or break near you
21848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
I thought it was absolutely original and it's definitely worth watching. It's a harem you'll remember! A lot of people are turned off because it just doesn't have that pixie-dust ending they've been hoping for.
17808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / England
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
just watch it it isnt horrible the ending is totally unexpected and probably unrealistic.
4333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Sweden
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
It's definitely not a waste of time. It may not be the best anime you'll ever watch, but it's not that bad.

The anime made me kinda angry and made me feel bad at times. Sometimes I felt like it was painful to watch :P
And not because it was bad or anything, I just felt so bad for one of the characters.
But in the end it was worth it. I don't regret watching it at all. I'm still not sure how I feel about it but it's definitely fun discussing it with others.
And honestly, I liked the ending. It was a bit unexpected perhaps but it was a good ending for a weird series ^^

tl;dr

Watch it. It's a weird but good series. Get your own opinion.
And if you don't like it then at least you'll have something to discuss with others
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 5/30/13 , edited 5/30/13

RolexKid wrote:

sounds like a personal thread, but here's my opinion on it:

if you plan to watch anime often this should be something you'll eventually have to watch, be it a good or bad experience.


Heh well I suppose it could be personal but I'm essentially just curious if the vocal majority speaks for most people in that the anime is either a waste of time to watch, or if it's simply just shocking and something that I should experience despite its "bad-ness" simply because it's just one of those anime that you just sort of have to have under your belt. I have watched and continue to watch plenty of anime so it's not like I'm short on time to squeeze it in but I do drop series that I have no interest in.

I realize its ending is something psychotically upside down in nature, so I'll be somewhat prepared for whatever it is, but if the anime will 100% really make me angry for watching I'd rather save myself the grief
1811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
This anime is such an aggravating experience because of the main character's dicky-ness and uncaring, rude attitude. At first it's not too bad and just a boring show, but as it progresses you want to tear off his head and many of the other stupid characters, too.
The only decent thing about it, is it's ending.
One Punch Mod
44570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 5/30/13
It's not very long, and I think it's worth watching even if it's just so you know what others are talking about when it, inevitably, comes up. It's actually very watchable so I don't think you'll have a problem keeping reasonably interested from episode to episode.

In brief I think the main problems people have with it is that the ending pretty much comes out of nowhere. The other is a perception that the protagonist behaves unethically.

I agree with the first, but wonder if it's just because I have expectations based on being used to a certain type of narrative, and that what happens in School Days isn't really sloppy at all by Japanese storytelling expectations. I have noticed more of a tendency toward this kind of veering off in anime, though it's not usually quite so late in the show nor quite so extreme in this particular way.

I don't agree with the latter--yes, there's some questionable decisions made, but IMO they are mostly understandable, realistic and are consistent with the character.


BTW, there is an existing School Days discussion thread--though it's about two months old. See:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-795751/school-days

Mods can decide if they'd rather have you place your "challenge" there, or close the old one and keep this, or keep both.
9216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Online
Posted 5/30/13
Just watch it, you'll learn something from it.
Never cheat.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 5/30/13

lorreen wrote:

It's not very long, and I think it's worth watching even if it's just so you know what others are talking about when it, inevitably, comes up. It's actually very watchable so I don't think you'll have a problem keeping reasonably interested from episode to episode.

In brief I think the main problems people have with it is that the ending pretty much comes out of nowhere. The other is a perception that the protagonist behaves unethically.

I agree with the first, but wonder if it's just because I have expectations based on being used to a certain type of narrative, and that what happens in School Days isn't really sloppy at all by Japanese storytelling expectations. I have noticed more of a tendency toward this kind of veering off in anime, though it's not usually quite so late in the show nor quite so extreme in this particular way.

I don't agree with the latter--yes, there's some questionable decisions made, but IMO they are mostly understandable, realistic and are consistent with the character.


BTW, there is an existing School Days discussion thread--though it's about two months old. See:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-795751/school-days

Mods can decide if they'd rather have you place your "challenge" there, or close the old one and keep this, or keep both.


The general "discussion" threads are usually nothing but a well of spoilers and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, but the mods will do what they please. I'm quite satisfied with the quality of the answers thus far at least
17808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / England
Offline
Posted 5/30/13

HouseOfWolves wrote:

It's definitely not a waste of time. It may not be the best anime you'll ever watch, but it's not that bad.

The anime made me kinda angry and made me feel bad at times. Sometimes I felt like it was painful to watch :P
And not because it was bad or anything, I just felt so bad for one of the characters.
But in the end it was worth it. I don't regret watching it at all. I'm still not sure how I feel about it but it's definitely fun discussing it with others.
And honestly, I liked the ending. It was a bit unexpected perhaps but it was a good ending for a weird series ^^

tl;dr

Watch it. It's a weird but good series. Get your own opinion.
And if you don't like it then at least you'll have something to discuss with others ;)




yee everyone has there own opinion for this show..

i felt bad for katsura at the end such a cute innocent girl.
16513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/13 , edited 5/30/13
The amount of people who say this is not a bad show surprises me . I mean......I know people have their own opinions....but come on.....is it really possible to enjoy this ?The story is hardly original. It may not be common in the anime world, but it is nothing new in terms of story-telling. But that isn't the main issue. The problem most people have with this show is the main character. He is the most immature, self-centered and ignorant character I have seen in a long time in an anime, and to make it worse, he is completely oblivious to the fact that his actions make him that. But worst of all is that this is a harem. I'll be the first to say that it is a well know fact that most harems have girls throwing themselves at a single guy who is in no way that interesting, funny, caring, etc. But this show takes it to a whole new level of unreality. As mentioned previously, the main character is completely oblivious that he is a d$#@, so he makes no attempts to hide it. But that doesn't stop all the girls in the show from wanting to be with him in one way of another (if you know what I mean).

All in all, this show was not enjoyable in the least. None of the characters were likable at all and the story is as interesting as a wet carrot.
One Punch Mod
44570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 5/30/13 , edited 5/30/13

zipzo wrote:The general "discussion" threads are usually nothing but a well of spoilers and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, but the mods will do what they please. I'm quite satisfied with the quality of the answers thus far at least :)


That can be true. I think your way of getting this discussion started has been pretty successful so far. It's kind of nice to see both the "it's not entirely crap" and "it's crap but here's a real argument why" factions coming out to play. Haven't seen that for a while re this show.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.