First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply School Days...
35880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 6/5/13
I would suggest that Makoto is not the real main character. If you look at the overall arc of the narrative, is everything his fault? Does he have a real arc? How often does the viewer get to have a glance inside his head? ... I would suggest, instead, that the story belongs to either Sekai or Kotonoha, and that Makoto is only something that happens to both of them.
22836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / America
Online
Posted 6/5/13
School Days made me angry because of the stupid as f*** protagonist. All the tragedy could have been avoided had he been just a little bit smarter.
1355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 6/5/13
Um, I don't think anyone has actually explained it, then again I skipped most of the pages just as I'd skipped most of the episodes of School Days.
What turned me off for it was how people in the comments of each and every episode would tell you to keep watching yet, the main guy character's personality and overall attitude were just horrific. The ending was the most for me, the last few episodes were just a no-no.

Watch and learn as, I can't explain much without completely turning you off about it or giving away spoilers... maybe even both.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/5/13 , edited 6/5/13
Alright so the jury is out. I completed the series. I'm going to have two spoiler boxes. The first will be my overall thoughts on the series as a whole. The second will be a pass at some of the finer points.



And now, more to the point...



I've seen some comments that say that School Days is good because it shows us that not all endings are happy. Uh...yeah, and not all grass is green, and not all kool-aid is red. That doesn't really excuse School Days from having an awful narrative and an absolutely grating set of characters to push said awful narrative. As an anime it falls short (more like doesn't even seem to try) on so many levels and seems to fall back on a big shocking ending to pull its weight or make it memorable but it failed miserably. Attack on Titan has a more shocking ending to each of their individual episodes than School Days does to their entire set of episodes. That might not be a fair comparison since they are different genre's but even from a Romance perspective...it just wasn't believable (or likable).

All in all I felt it was worth watching so that I could see what the hub was all about, so while I will forever push that anime down in to the deepest pit of my shit list as one of the worst anime I've ever seen grace my TV, I at least don't regret the time I spent making sure I knew exactly why everyone hated School Days.
90924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/5/13
Can I spoil it now??? I mean…
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/5/13

AnimeKami wrote:

Can I spoil it now??? I mean…


You can do whatever you want...just like the writers of School Days did...it's your world buddy.
2878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 6/6/13

zipzo wrote:

Alright so the jury is out. I completed the series. I'm going to have two spoiler boxes. The first will be my overall thoughts on the series as a whole. The second will be a pass at some of the finer points.



And now, more to the point...



I've seen some comments that say that School Days is good because it shows us that not all endings are happy. Uh...yeah, and not all grass is green, and not all kool-aid is red. That doesn't really excuse School Days from having an awful narrative and an absolutely grating set of characters to push said awful narrative. As an anime it falls short (more like doesn't even seem to try) on so many levels and seems to fall back on a big shocking ending to pull its weight or make it memorable but it failed miserably. Attack on Titan has a more shocking ending to each of their individual episodes than School Days does to their entire set of episodes. That might not be a fair comparison since they are different genre's but even from a Romance perspective...it just wasn't believable (or likable).

All in all I felt it was worth watching so that I could see what the hub was all about, so while I will forever push that anime down in to the deepest pit of my shit list as one of the worst anime I've ever seen grace my TV, I at least don't regret the time I spent making sure I knew exactly why everyone hated School Days.


Your opinion of it being down the deepest pit of your shit list is widely held here.

However, I must commend you in writing your opinion in a way that validates your point. I still like School Days, but I can respect your well stated opinion of it. Especially as most just say sucks, it was crappy , etc. and leaves it at that
Posted 6/6/13
I must be the only one who didn't hate Makoto.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/6/13

phiregirl wrote:

I must be the only one who didn't hate Makoto.


This needs elaboration. STAT.
29958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Free World Jail
Online
Posted 6/6/13
Jeez i hate when people say this is the worst anime they EVER seen... but your opinion is your opinion i guess
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/6/13

GoldTStar wrote:

Jeez i hate when people say this is the worst anime they EVER seen... but your opinion is your opinion i guess


I definitely think I've seen worse. My shit list is quite deep.
2878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 6/6/13

zipzo wrote:


phiregirl wrote:

I must be the only one who didn't hate Makoto.


This needs elaboration. STAT.


True, this needs elaboration as I have posted in the past that I don't hate Makoto either.

After all he only did what almost EVERY horny teenage boy would have done in the same situation! (I know horny and teenaged boy is redundant)

I admit if I was in high school, I SURELY what have did what he did, but as I am now more mature (and hopefully wiser), I would NOT now.

It amazes me the number of people here who express this phony self-righteousness about Makoto.

The problem is no-one would want to actually ADMIT that they would've just taken what the girls were willingly and excessively letting him have especially at that age!
46175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/6/13
I played the game instead and got a happy ending.
Posted 6/6/13

zipzo wrote:


phiregirl wrote:

I must be the only one who didn't hate Makoto.


This needs elaboration. STAT.


Makoto's one big fault was in not understanding the heart and motivations of teenage girls. I don't think this lack of understanding, or his actions, was just cause for what happened to him. Females tend to be of the opinion the two timing jerk got what he deserved, but it takes two to tango and there are plenty of female jerks in this anime too. If anyone deserved what they got I would have to say it was Sekai.
One Punch Mod
50273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/6/13

phiregirl wrote:

I must be the only one who didn't hate Makoto.

You are not. I actually kind of liked him.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.