First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Code Geass is Japanese Nationalism at its best
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/1/13 , edited 6/1/13
I think this should be closed then, because honestly its a bit effed in the A to talk about a single countires nationalism and only that.

Nationalism is something thats on the world stage, if you want to spout off about how bad Japans nationalism and ONLY JAPANS, this is definitely not the place for that.

If that is the case I shall be reporting this thread, as i think it has the intention of purely causing an arguement
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

Code Geass >Your fave
Japan > Your country

I can see why you're mad.


Posted 6/1/13

0nigokko wrote:

I think this should be closed then, because honestly its a bit effed in the A to talk about a single countires nationalism and only that.

Nationalism is something thats on the world stage, if you want to spout off about how bad Japans nationalism and ONLY JAPANS, this is definitely not the place for that.

If that is the case I shall be reporting this thread, as i think it has the intention of purely causing an arguement


Why is it a problem? There are threads on here talking of one countries problems, or its triumphs or what the world thinks of it - why should this thread be any different?

I think you caused the argument for you did not stick to the topic but wandered away and brought in a mountain.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

magicuser360 wrote:


0nigokko wrote:

I think this should be closed then, because honestly its a bit effed in the A to talk about a single countires nationalism and only that.

Nationalism is something thats on the world stage, if you want to spout off about how bad Japans nationalism and ONLY JAPANS, this is definitely not the place for that.

If that is the case I shall be reporting this thread, as i think it has the intention of purely causing an arguement


Why is it a problem? There are threads on here talking of one countries problems, or its triumphs or what the world thinks of it - why should this thread be any different?

I think you caused the argument for you did not stick to the topic but wandered away and brought in a mountain.

45439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

chrome_mist wrote:


Code Geass >Your fave
Japan > Your country

I can see why you're mad.




Trolling at its finest.
Posted 6/1/13

magicuser360 wrote:

Difference is, the States don't hide that. It's in books, talked about etc. In Japan however, they STILL deny their war crimes, don't apologize for them and do other things like change their own school textbooks. Why, up until recently people in Japan didn't know about Pearl Harbor!! And what of the recent statements the Japanese mayor made about the infamous Comfort Women?

Disgusting.


*Facepalm*@ "The States don't hide that". I never said USA tried to hide it, they CERTAINLY don't make it a priority to let their citizens become aware of their "dark" histories either.

When you say "Japanese people didn't know about Pearl Harbor", you're referring to the general uneducated populace, really. Just like in USA, the general populace have no idea what really happened during the period of slavery or when it started and ended.

My point being; it's not up to the government or an anime/film producer to educate the general populace, it's up to the individuals. You think a Japanese scholar wouldn't know about Pearl Harbor?


I'm not the one bring USA into this discussion, you're the one saying Code Geass was a dig at "America". And I simply use USA as an example.

I can list others if you want, THe London Riot in England... the Cronulla Racial attacks in Australia... what difference does it make?

Posted 6/1/13 , edited 6/1/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:

Difference is, the States don't hide that. It's in books, talked about etc. In Japan however, they STILL deny their war crimes, don't apologize for them and do other things like change their own school textbooks. Why, up until recently people in Japan didn't know about Pearl Harbor!! And what of the recent statements the Japanese mayor made about the infamous Comfort Women?

Disgusting.


*Facepalm*@ "The States don't hide that". I never said USA tried to hide it, they CERTAINLY don't make it a priority to let their citizens become aware of their "dark" histories either.

When you say "Japanese people didn't know about Pearl Harbor", you're referring to the general uneducated populace, really. Just like in USA, the general populace have no idea what really happened during the period of slavery or when it started and ended.

My point being; it's not up to the government or an anime/film producer to educate the general populace, it's up to the individuals. You think a Japanese scholar wouldn't know about Pearl Harbor?

I'm not the one bring USA into this discussion, you're the one saying Code Geass was a dig at "America". And I simply use USA as an example.

I can list others if you want, THe London Riot in England... the Cronulla Racial attacks in Australia... what difference does it make?



You didn't have to say it. My point was that that information is out in the open - the States (or even the UK) don't try to hide their nastier side like Japan does to this day. Sure, neither the States or the UK really push it out in the open that is absolutely true, but then again that is far better than actually denying it or changing the textbooks to downplay the facts.

It is not the general populace. Japanese people on the whole were never told about Pearl Harbor and they seemed genuinely surprised that it was them, NOT America who started the war between them. That is how much it was hidden. A major fact like that should have been known, considering it was THAT that started the war between the States and the Empire of Japan - but they didn't know that!

The Japanese scholar themselves deny the actual facts, and they are almost always the ones who are Nationalistic to the utmost degree.

The general populace in America know the key parts of slavery - just like how Japan should know they key point to what started the war between America and themselves. No one expects them to know every single detail - that is absurd! But such a major point? Yes.

And I seem to recall saying that Code Geass was a dig at MAINLY at the UK and then the States to a much lesser extent and the West of course in general but you only seemed to see America pop out at you and dragged them in alone...

And yes, I did mention those countries but the main discussion was Nationalism in Code Geass and it shold have extended only to Japan if anything. There are other topics on here that discuss the other countries. This was meant to be limited to the anime and then Japan itself.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

magicuser360 wrote:

Japanese people on the whole were never told about Pearl Harbor

and they seemed genuinely surprised that it was them not America who started the war between them.

That is how much was hidden.

A fact like that should have been known, considering it was that that started the war between the States and the Empire of Japan - but they didn't know that!




It's like you know exactly how / what the Japanese people feel.
Excuse me but I must ask. Are you psychic? Are you their cousin?
Wait you're 100 years old. Were you involved in the Pearl Harbor incident?
OMG I'm quoting a ghost right now



Posted 6/1/13

magicuser360 wrote:

You didn't have to say it. My point was that that information is out in the open - the States (or even the UK) don't try to hide their nastier side like Japan does to this day. Sure, neither the States or the UK really push it out in the open that is absolutely true, but then again that is far better than actually denying it or changing the textbooks to downplay the facts.

It is not the general populace. Japanese people on the whole were never told about Pearl Harbor and they seemed genuinely surprised that it was them, NOT America who started the war between them. That is how much it was hidden. A major fact like that should have been known, considering it was THAT that started the war between the States and the Empire of Japan - but they didn't know that!

The Japanese scholar themselves deny the actual facts, and they are almost always the ones who are Nationalistic to the utmost degree.

The general populace in America know the key parts of slavery - just like how Japan should know they key point to what started the war between America and themselves. No one expects them to know every single detail - that is absurd! But such a major point? Yes.

And I seem to recall saying that Code Geass was a dig at MAINLY at the UK and then the States to a much lesser extent and the West of course in general but you only seemed to see America pop out at you and dragged them in alone...

And yes, I did mention those countries but the main discussion was Nationalism in Code Geass and it shold have extended only to Japan if anything. There are other topics on here that discuss the other countries. This was meant to be limited to the anime and then Japan itself.


Does Japan ban its internet users from accessing international websites like China? No. Information is up there for everyone. Japanese people have access to information anywhere on the internet; whether they want to educate themselves or not, it's up to them, it's not up to the government or some anime director.

I chose USA to use as my example because it is relevant to my point. You talked about USA, so why can't I talk about it? The USA government and media are best known for their propulsion of racist agenda: example during the 9/11 attacks, everywhere on their Newspapers would have articles like... "Suspected Muslims..." "Muslims are responsible for...".

How many people in the USA still think all Muslims are terrorists to this day? How many people?

Your Original Post act as if only Japanese government and people are guilty of this. This is an issue that is infected worldwide.


You clearly don't know the difference between "government officials" and "scholar" if you think scholars are ones to deny facts and accept fictions.
71048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/1/13 , edited 6/2/13

magicuser360 wrote:

...Japanese love to add historical context from every other country besides theirs...

I realize Japan is infamous for this, but it can go both ways:
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong.

It's a good book; enjoy.


Sacae89 wrote:


Insomnist wrote:
Hm...

Let's see if I can do this without being asininely argumentative, since Code Geass really gets under my skin.

I'll come back to this in about an hour.

I look forward to it! I'm not looking for an agrument or to provoke you. I'm really just curious.

I like Code Geass, but I'm not looking to defend it. I'm more curious on the Death Note liking and Code Geass disliking. Because they are similar in my mind and I'm interested in the thought behind it.

Oh I believe you, and that's how I generally think too. But being aware of that just makes me extra cautious when I'm aware that I have an axe to grind, since being pissy can turn people off to whatever I'm trying to say.

I think I got this though. Kind of.


Disclaimer: Code Geass didn't work for me, but I'm not trying to dissuade others from it. I can see how it can be appreciated as it is, I just don't agree with the majority in this particular case. Actually I kind of hate 80% of it.


RANT WARNING: I apparently can't do this without hating a lot on Lelouch-the-Douche. Forgive me.

SPOILER WARNING: For Code Geass, Death Note, and Neon Genesis Evangelion (just a little bit).
I guess that's my Code Geass rant. It took me longer than I expected, so apologies for that. XD

I seriously don't mean to disparage any opposing viewpoints; this did come out as a rant, though.

Edit:

I've had a running conversation with ichigosr55 in PM's about Code Geass for a couple days, and after posting this I saw he'd sent me a very thorough series of rebuttals. So basically my stance kind of boils down to this: I hated Lelouch so much for whatever personal reason that I was effectively incapable of acknowledging most of what was in the series.

Basically I was so imbalanced it was practically like I was watching a different anime than he described.

So, take that for what its worth. His counter-arguments at least helped me see what everyone else sees in this show.
Posted 6/1/13



It's like you know exactly how / what the Japanese people feel.
Excuse me but I must ask. Are you psychic? Are you their cousin?
Wait you're 100 years old. Were you involved in the Pearl Harbor incident?
OMG I'm quoting a ghost right now





Uh, my post had nothing to do with what they FEEL but what they KNOW about that incident and what they were TOLD about said incident.

Why don't you actually read up on this matter before writing something like that? Feelings have nothing to do with this.
Posted 6/1/13

Insomnist wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:

...Japanese love to add historical context from every other country besides theirs...

I realize Japan is infamous for this, but it can go both ways:
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong.

It's a good book; enjoy.


Sacae89 wrote:


Insomnist wrote:
Hm...

Let's see if I can do this without being asininely argumentative, since Code Geass really gets under my skin.

I'll come back to this in about an hour.

I look forward to it! I'm not looking for an agrument or to provoke you. I'm really just curious.

I like Code Geass, but I'm not looking to defend it. I'm more curious on the Death Note liking and Code Geass disliking. Because they are similar in my mind and I'm interested in the thought behind it.

Oh I believe you, and that's how I generally think too. But being aware of that just makes me extra cautious when I'm aware that I have an axe to grind, since being pissy can turn people off to whatever I'm trying to say.

I think I got this though. Kind of.


Disclaimer: Code Geass didn't work for me, but I'm not trying to dissuade others from it. I can see how it can be appreciated as it is, I just don't agree with the majority in this particular case. Actually I kind of hate 80% of it.


RANT WARNING: I apparently can't do this without hating a lot on Lelouch-the-Douche. Forgive me.

SPOILER WARNING: For Code Geass, Death Note, and Neon Genesis Evangelion (just a little bit).
I guess that's my Code Geass rant. It took me longer than I expected, so apologies for that. XD

I seriously don't mean to disparage any opposing viewpoints; this did come out as a rant, though.


Thanks for the reply, and I did enjoy the rant though it was not directed to me.

I'm not American, but British - and yes, every country does hide things but Japan on the whole takes the cake. Come on now, look at the recent events of what the Japanese mayor said about comfort women for example.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

magicuser360 wrote:


Uh, my post had nothing to do with what they FEEL but what they KNOW about that incident and what they were TOLD about said incident.

Why don't you actually read up on this matter before writing something like that? Feelings have nothing to do with this.



Link me to some articles backing your claims and I'll get back to you on that.


54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

Not this thread re-awakening
Insomnist's Code Geass obsession.

MagicUser300 ha impact.


Posted 6/2/13

KingOfHeroess wrote:


@GayAsianBoy Have you ever seen or heard of the recent movie Django Unchained? It was about slavery and racism. Granted it was action packed the setting was till during slavery in the south.


It's similar to "The King's Speech", there's a theme of slavery and racism involved... but it doesn't actually focus on it... like the graphical side or the impact it has on the slaves or told from a slave's point of view.

A good book I read was, "The Incident in The Life of Slave Girl". I wonder when this will ever get adapted into Hollywood films.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.