First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
What does English sound like to the rest of the world (non-native speakers)
3544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Des moines IA
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
I was wondering what English sounds like to native speakers of different languages. I right now only speak English and am learning Russian. To me Latin based languages sound general like, but I know the difference between French and Spanish. Also, Latin based languages sound pretty smooth and flow really well. Germanic languages sound alike and sound pretty harsh and angry; English is a Germanic language so I was thinking it might sound like German but we have a lot Latin language influence. Slavic languages sound alike. Sino-Tibetan languages sound alike.

Basically, I was thinking that each language family has a different perception of English... since each language family has a different perception to English speakers, so if you are a native speaker of a different language please tell me what you think English sounds like to you??!!
21154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
Well...When I only knew Spanish...It sounded like Spanish...but Englishier.
7040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
When I only spoke Sumerian, it sounded just like Sumerian...only with more English.
16029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / USA
Online
Posted 6/1/13
31009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
It sounds like English -.-

It's just words/letters with different sounds from my country's letters.
Posted 6/2/13
There is a video on youtube where these guys put on a whole scene where it is some made up language that sounds just like English. That is how it feels like. I don't know the vid link though.
18437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

furytime wrote:

There is a video on youtube where these guys put on a whole scene where it is some made up language that sounds just like English. That is how it feels like. I don't know the vid link though.


That's supper helpfull... (Sarcasm)
Posted 6/2/13

Flyingwren wrote:


furytime wrote:

There is a video on youtube where these guys put on a whole scene where it is some made up language that sounds just like English. That is how it feels like. I don't know the vid link though.


That's supper helpfull... (Sarcasm)


No.
Somebody will search for that video/link it here.
55105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

furytime wrote:


Flyingwren wrote:


furytime wrote:

There is a video on youtube where these guys put on a whole scene where it is some made up language that sounds just like English. That is how it feels like. I don't know the vid link though.


That's supper helpfull... (Sarcasm)


No.
Somebody will search for that video/link it here.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY is it this??
Posted 6/2/13

CalifCat wrote:


furytime wrote:


Flyingwren wrote:


furytime wrote:

There is a video on youtube where these guys put on a whole scene where it is some made up language that sounds just like English. That is how it feels like. I don't know the vid link though.


That's supper helpfull... (Sarcasm)


No.
Somebody will search for that video/link it here.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY is it this??


One of the two that I was thinking of.
gzboli 
62027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bellevue, WA
Offline
Posted 6/2/13
Here's another!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXcRqFmFa8
Posted 6/2/13 , edited 6/2/13

gzboli wrote:

Here's another!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXcRqFmFa8



And this is the second video I was talking about.

See my post was very successful in what I expected it to do Flyingwren
135470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/2/13
I was thinking of this video: http://youtu.be/dABo_DCIdpM
Posted 6/2/13 , edited 6/2/13
I think all language is beautiful.

It all depends on the speaker; the everyday English speaker = not so beautiful, (TOO fast, and lazy-like) But the professional speaker, they make it sound so beautiful, I can hear every stressed syllables, I can hear every pause.

The same applies for any other languages I commonly hear, like Chinese or Japanese, the everyday speakers = goddamn annoying and loud. But when I listen to professional poets or professional singers... the syllables make the language become so beautiful.



As for German, yes... everyday speaker sounds harsh, but I've recently been listening to German opera by Mozart (The Magic Flute)... and it's just mind blowingly, after listening to it, I just want to learn German right there and then.
18437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

furytime wrote:


gzboli wrote:

Here's another!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXcRqFmFa8



And this is the second video I was talking about.

See my post was very successful in what I expected it to do Flyingwren


Congratulations, I applaud you.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.