Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Haganai Funimation Dub Trailer thoughts?
17451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Massachusetts, Un...
Offline
Posted 6/2/13 , edited 6/2/13
My thoughts:

Yozora's voice doesn't fit.

That is it.
I liked the rest.
14412 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/2/13
When I first watched the trailer I was really unsure about the voices but after watching it a few more times I really started to like what I was hearing. I think the clips they chose for Kodoka werent the most flattering. Alexis Tipton as Rikka sounded great! While the dub probably wont surpass the sub I think they will do well!
9474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Huntington Beach, CA
Online
Posted 6/2/13
It's not enough to make definitive statements, but in terms of impressions . . .

Rika fits perfectly
Kodoka,Sena, and Yozora could work quite well or end up sub par. Too soon to tell
Yukimura doesn't seem to fit, but again, too soon to tell.

I think this dub could turn out spectacularly if the voice actors really make the characters their own rather than copying the Japanese dub. Especially Yozora and Sena. Kodoka seems to fit well enough. He doesn't stand out to me, but then again, he didn't really stand out to me in the Japanese dub either lol
42291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 6/2/13 , edited 6/2/13

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

no i was talking about yozora

ive never seen those other that have this Alexis but she sounded really good and im glad that someone that sounds that good is doing Inori (didnt really hear much from her in the GC dub trailer)


So, when you mean "the english version of the japanese actor rika's voice" you mean Yozora's English voice actress? Wouldn't it make more sense to say "the English version of Yozora" or "the English voice for Yozora"?

Anywho, like the person above me said it's too soon to fully judge the voices just yet. Trying to emulate the Japanese's voice actresses/actors performances is more often than not a bad decision, so I too hope the English cast gives their own flair to the characters.
7529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

no i was talking about yozora

ive never seen those other that have this Alexis but she sounded really good and im glad that someone that sounds that good is doing Inori (didnt really hear much from her in the GC dub trailer)


So, when you mean "the english version of the japanese actor rika's voice" you mean Yozora's English voice actress? Wouldn't it make more sense to say "the English version of Yozora" or "the English voice for Yozora"?

Anywho, like the person above me said it's too soon to fully judge the voices just yet. Trying to emulate the Japanese's voice actresses/actors performances is more often than not a bad decision, so I too hope the English cast gives their own flair to the characters.


i guess. i think this was a bit misunderstood due to my lazy grammar but yea thats what i mean "English version of Yozora" i just think she sounds similar to the japanese actor
42291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

EspeoangeTieler wrote:


i guess. i think this was a bit misunderstood due to my lazy grammar but yea thats what i mean "English version of Yozora" i just think she sounds similar to the japanese actor


If I may ask, what's your opinion on the rest of the cast featured in the trailer?

27076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Washington state,...
Offline
Posted 6/3/13
This was awful. The voices didn't fit, sure. But that can be overcome with good acting. When I saw this, I thought it was some kind of mock up MST3K was doing. Then I realized...
od1968 
13236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Bay Area, CA
Offline
Posted 6/3/13

Evilshadowx wrote:

My thoughts:

Yozora's voice doesn't fit.

That is it.
I liked the rest.



Info on your avi?
7529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 6/3/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:


i guess. i think this was a bit misunderstood due to my lazy grammar but yea thats what i mean "English version of Yozora" i just think she sounds similar to the japanese actor


If I may ask, what's your opinion on the rest of the cast featured in the trailer?



i think they all sound pretty good. At first i didn't like kodaka's voice but when he was yelling it seemed like it was going to be fine. And sena i feel like i need to hear a bit more to before i a judge but i dont think its terrible.
26754 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Online
Posted 6/3/13
Meh, it seemed okay to me, but I prefer the Japanese voices. That's not to say I won't watch the dub at least once though.

And Alexis Tipton being Rika's voice is interesting. I just hate how she sounds almost the same in every show though, so I'll be thinking she's Musubi from Sekirei, Moka from Rosario + Vampire, or probably most hilariously, Himeji from Baka and Test.

That being said, if Funimation brings season 2 over here and dubs it, I so look forward to hearing Rika during that hilarious roller coaster ride in episode 4. Or just Rika in general due to how awesome she is in that season.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/3/13

seekerperson7 wrote:I think this dub could turn out spectacularly if the voice actors really make the characters their own rather than copying the Japanese dub. Especially Yozora and Sena. Kodoka seems to fit well enough. He doesn't stand out to me, but then again, he didn't really stand out to me in the Japanese dub either lol


Usually this is the only circumstance in which a dub can actually contend with the raw, when the actors take the role on to themselves and give it their own flare. It's difficult, given that dubbing has all these technical things like matching the mouth to a different languages' words, but it's been done and it's definitely not impossible.

A prime example I always bring up in conversations like this is Edward from Fullmetal Alchemist (in English done by Vic Mignogna). His performance was nothing short of brilliant in this anime, it's almost not even debate-able, but his voice sounds nothing, not even close, to the original. It's not even the same vocal quality. They are completely opposite sounding voices. It makes watching the dub a different experience, a whole different interpretation of the character overall, as opposed to feeling like you're watching something that was dubbed simply because fans wanted to understand what everyone was saying, so the actor tries to sound like the original and it just sounds awkward. The onus is really on the actors to buck up and perform, because the standard doesn't seem to be high to get in to entry level roles and in some cases even important ones (looking at you funimation).

Though it's probably wishful thinking to believe that any of the actors on a show like Haganai are going to be as dedicated to their role as Vic was to Edward. Very different shows, and Vic is admittedly an incredibly unique guy.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 6/3/13
Seems fairly average from the trailer. Haven't seen much of the show though. I'm sure it'll get better as it goes once the VA's get use to the roles.
11554 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California, Unite...
Online
Posted 6/3/13 , edited 6/7/13
Update
Kodaka Hasegawa (VA: Jerry Jewell)
After watching the first episode, I feel that I can accept that Mr. Jewell can feel the role of Kodaka.

Yozora Mikazuki (VA: Whitney Rodgers)
Okay after watching the first episode, Rodgers seems to be a good choice after all. I can't compare her to the Yozora's CV, but she passes my book.

Sena Kashiwazaki (VA: Jad Saxton)
Hmm after watching the first, I now can now say that Saxton's voice fits with Sena.

Rating
B+

From previous post
One Punch Mod
41350 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Online
Posted 12/7/13
Closed due to inactivity (six months or more with no new posts).

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.