First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Rape-- Does the way you dress have nothing to do with it?
31172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / New Orleans
Offline
Posted 9/3/14

rohaun wrote:


I meant that as long as a sizeable population exists,rape will be there.And it won't just go away.So,I think the best course of action would be for people to understand this,and maybe focus more on how to deal with rape rather than how to prevent it.


I see. I have to disagree. Simply because rape won't go away completely doesn't mean we shouldn't try to crack down on it and improve the situation. Preventative measures can be very effective, even if they don't completely eradicate the problem. For example, in my part of the US, it wasn't all that long ago that African-Americans were living in almost constant fear of being lynched. Not so much anymore.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / The Bebop
Offline
Posted 9/3/14

bravostribe1015 wrote:


rohaun wrote:


I meant that as long as a sizeable population exists,rape will be there.And it won't just go away.So,I think the best course of action would be for people to understand this,and maybe focus more on how to deal with rape rather than how to prevent it.


I see. I have to disagree. Simply because rape won't go away completely doesn't mean we shouldn't try to crack down on it and improve the situation. Preventative measures can be very effective, even if they don't completely eradicate the problem. For example, in my part of the US, it wasn't all that long ago that African-Americans were living in almost constant fear of being lynched. Not so much anymore.


Very true.And I believe we can maturely end our discussion on a positive note.
23279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 9/4/14


31172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / New Orleans
Offline
Posted 9/4/14


I'm not sure what double standard the picture on the left is talking about. I'm fairly sure if a woman drinks too much and is caught driving while intoxicated or an offense of that kind, she'd be facing the same consequences a man would.
tegan7 
2769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / WA
Offline
Posted 9/13/14
I'll be honest, I haven't read through all the posts so it's possible this was already said.
Nonetheless...
If I wear a shirt that, for example, says "kill me" on it, does that give anyone the right to kill me?
If not, then how does wearing anything else, that doesn't actually say anything, allow someone to act in a manner that they think is acceptable? (Not a manner that the wearer does)
Rape is doing something against someone's will, and there is nothing anyone can wear that makes this ok.
293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 10 days ago
Nope clothing doesn't really have anything to do with rape. Yes some would get excited at seeing some appearances but that does not mean that it'll cause anyone to rape.

Children and babies get raped regardless of what they wore. Women in burqas get raped. Women get raped in places where the usual mode of dress for everyone is to go nude. Men get raped no matter how they dress. Rapists choose to force their victims regardless.
12611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10 days ago , edited 10 days ago
I'm sure there have been cases in which clothing has something to do with it, however little. So I'm reluctant to say that clothing has absolutely nothing to do with it in any and all cases ever.

The image that comes to mind is that of a carjacker. It should be common sense to not leave your door unlocked and the keys in the ignition overnight (yes, this has happened before and the guy who did it was charged with contributory negligence after the thief stole the car and was involved in a deadly accident) in a bad neighborhood. What about leaving your car running while you quickly run into your house to retrieve something you forgot?

You can argue that most car owners lock their cars but the carjacker still has ways to break into such cars to steal them or parts in them. Fact of the matter is that an unlocked door makes it much easier for someone to steal a car, plain and simple. Not securing your stuff makes it more likely to be stolen just like how provocative attire can cause more men to approach you.

In the perfect world, nobody would steal or rape so locks and conservative clothing will not be needed but, lo and behold, our world is a mess and people are scum. Just as we might say a car owner is stupid for not securing his car, we say that clothing may influence a person's likelihood of being raped. There is, indeed, a degree of contribution by the victim in some cases but we should never blame the victim because it is the offender who has broken the rules and ultimately caused the harm in the end. For such acts, there is no excuse. It would be prudent to enforce the proper code and teach people precautions, but to blame victims for the consequence of the wrongdoing of another, to shift the blame from the offender to the victim is not justifiable. Rape is wrong just as theft is wrong. Make no mistake, contributing to one's own harm IS perfectly possible but mere contribution should not subject a person to the full burden of the blame. It might reduce the amount you should be allowed to recover for, but you should be allowed recovery nonetheless. And, obviously, punitive damages for the rapist should not be reduced or mitigated.
944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / A Fictional City
Offline
Posted 10 days ago

Morbidhanson wrote:

I'm sure there have been cases in which clothing has something to do with it, however little. So I'm reluctant to say that clothing has absolutely nothing to do with it in any and all cases ever.

The image that comes to mind is that of a carjacker. It should be common sense to not leave your door unlocked and the keys in the ignition overnight (yes, this has happened before and the guy who did it was charged with contributory negligence after the thief stole the car and was involved in a deadly accident) in a bad neighborhood. What about leaving your car running while you quickly run into your house to retrieve something you forgot?

You can argue that most car owners lock their cars but the carjacker still has ways to break into such cars to steal them or parts in them. Fact of the matter is that an unlocked door makes it much easier for someone to steal a car, plain and simple. Not securing your stuff makes it more likely to be stolen just like how provocative attire can cause more men to approach you.

In the perfect world, nobody would steal or rape so locks and conservative clothing will not be needed but, lo and behold, our world is a mess and people are scum. Just as we might say a car owner is stupid for not securing his car, we say that clothing may influence a person's likelihood of being raped. There is, indeed, a degree of contribution by the victim in some cases but we should never blame the victim because it is the offender who has broken the rules and ultimately caused the harm in the end. For such acts, there is no excuse. It would be prudent to enforce the proper code and teach people precautions but to blame them for the wrongdoing of another to shift the blame from the offender to the victim is not morally justifiable. Rape is wrong just as theft is wrong. Make no mistake, contributing to one's own harm IS perfectly possible but mere contribution should not subject a person to the burden of the blame.


That's pretty interesting but I think maybe being unaware of your surroundings might be a bigger issue. Like how you don't just walk through a shady neighborhood in the middle of the night by yourself. It's true that we shouldn't be blaming the victim though. What they were doing would not be stupid if it wasn't for the fact that there are people willing to do bad things to one another.
22875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Sweden, Stockholm
Offline
Posted 9 days ago
Both body and looks can impact how someone looks at you.

1784 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / England
Offline
Posted 9 days ago
the fact people victim blame with rape disgusts me....

peoples attitudes stink.....
16801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 9 days ago

tkayt wrote:

Nope clothing doesn't really have anything to do with rape.

Children and babies get raped regardless of what they wore. Women in burqas get raped. Women get raped in places where the usual mode of dress for everyone is to go nude. Men get raped no matter how they dress. Rapists choose to force their victims regardless.


Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't get why this concept is so hard to understand.
293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 9 days ago


Ideas on what is considered attractive is subjective. I've heard a man complaining about hair being alluring so he thinks women should cover that up to stop him from seeing it. Because such individual views it would be impossible to try to attempt to please everyone on what constitutes conservative dress and rape will still happen regardless.


I think the closest analogy to wearing so called provocative clothing that I've heard of would be how our shopping centres are laid out. In any grocery store thinks are laid out in a self service. Customers pick stuff up and go to pay for it. Without that paid transaction then it would be stealing which is wrong. No one caught stealing would get away with saying that the food looked really good and they were hungry so how could they be denied that food. A hungry person is expected to go and find a way to pay for goods or ask someone to do so for them. They also have the option to find food banks or soup kitchens if really desperate. The grocery/supermarket would not be blamed for their store layout. No shop has returned to the olden times when everything was behind a big counter and you had to ask shopkeepers to bring out every single item. I haven't heard of the rise in shop theft being linked to modern day shopping habits.

It's because this is a terrible crime that we use self delusions to reason that if we do x and y then the chances of this happening to us will be minimum. The reality is these things happen to anyone any place any time no matter what you attempted to do to not be targeted or not.
48 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 30.4894° N, 86.54...
Offline
Posted 9 days ago

VeniVidiVici- wrote:

Recently I've seen a picture and there are all these women screaming how the way you dress has nothing to do with rape.
I tried to tell them, in reality, there are some dresses that do provoke men, and to either guard one self from such attacks one can either dress proper, or carry a gun.

A lot of people couldn't comprehend and started saying I support rape and what not , so let me make it clear.

This topic is wether dressing DOES have to do with rape. Not about supporting/disapproving of rape ( I don't)

Now I personally think in most cases its a yes, but if you think that dressing has nothing what so ever to do with rape, please post, and reason WHY you think so.


You're right, because there are people out there who have no respect for others and are going to rape someone eventually (that sounds really bad, but it's true). Like the weakest of the pack getting picked off in the wild, if you're the most attractive prospect... well don't be.
60 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Online
Posted 9 days ago
I think alertness has more to do with it than what you're wearing. If you're drunk or not aware of your surroundings, you're more likely to be a victim.
455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / mausoleum
Offline
Posted 5 days ago

BlueOni wrote:

Rape is about power dynamics, not sexual attraction. The rapist is not looking for sex, the rapist is looking for control. To dominate someone completely. It has nothing to do with how a victim is dressed.


I agree with this statement. You know they castrate some pedophiles and it doesn't stop the offender as the absence of testosterone isn't a factor because it is about control. , a psychological need, independent from physiology. So its not about arousal, but the need to dominate.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.