First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Thoughts on Heaven
17866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ロサンゼルス (Originall...
Offline
Posted 10/5/13

kirika202 wrote:



You got a point...and you are right to think that way because.... you don't understand God (neither do I, no one can understand Him) but this insert from a great book summarizes my feelings and opinion towards God perfectly:



"God is God" the levite replied. "He did not tell Moses whether He was good or evil; He simply said: I AM. He is everything that exists under the sun--the lightning bolt that destroys a house, and the hand of man that rebuilds it"

"God is all-powerful. If He limited Himself to doing only that which we call good, we could not call Him the Almighty; He would command only one part of the universe, and there would exist someone more powerful than He, watching and judging His acts. In that case, I would worship that more powerful someone"

"Many times before, when I felt at peace with God and the world, the temperature was horrible, the desert wind filled my eyes with sand and did not permit me to see a hand's span before me. Not always does His plan agree with what we are or what we feel, but be assured that He has a reason for all this."


You see, I didn't believe in God before, I hated going to church and I would never open the door to a wonderful old woman who sometimes came to my house to talk about God. The Bible bored me to death and I just didn't care...I prayed sometimes out of habit and not out of love...and I would pray only when I was in trouble^^ in other words, I was a joke.

But one day, out of nowhere...I had the most wonderful feeling...the feeling of completeness. In my mind I yelled "God exists!" it might be crazy for you but at that moment I was trembling of happiness (that was the only moment i have felt complete happiness in all my life, it was a great feeling I can not put into words) and I looked at the sky as if it was the first time I saw the sky, I was in awe and full of joy. I even thought of becoming a nun because I was 100% sure that God exists and I wanted to dedicate my life to Him only. That day i bought a Bible and I read it nonstop.

Many times I had to raise my eyebrows because the God I was reading was very different to the God that all priests preached at the church and because of that, all my plans to become a nun disappeared like smoke. I don't like the church and most of the things they preach are lies (in my opinion). Things like killing a whole city or killing a woman with stones made me feel sad...but they were necessary, in my opinion, because those people were always disobeying God and it might look like evil to you but what it is evil or good for us it's not the same for God. Our minds are like a sesame seed compared to God's infinite mind.

"Everything in this world can be seen as you wish to...good or bad, simple or complicated, easy or difficult...it's not how things are; it's about how you look up to them and how you look up to them is up to you."

He is God and we are to obey Him, why He did the things He did, I don't know and I will probably never know, why He became a man and scarified Himself for sinners, why He made us sinners....I think all is to prove that He is All Powerful, (just my opinion, no one knows why God created us or why He let Satan out in this world) again, it might look like evil to you, but God is the Potter and we are the clay. He can create anything with the clay, that's how I see it.

In my case, God has been very merciful to me and he has blessed me immensely even though I'm rotten and lost most of the time.And I still think he's been very merciful to us. Why we must blame God for all the wrongdoings of mankind? "Man asked GOD, "Give me everything to enjoy life" GOD replied, "I have given you LIFE to enjoy everything." what else do we need? I know God exists and when i think about Him I just get a tender feeling in my heart. every person that truly believes in God and follows Him has a good life and is at peace with him/herself. I'm not at peace with myself because I'm doing things I shouldn't do and I fall many times...but if God wants to save me or if He wants to send me to hell, that's His choice...and I will accept it because He is God and I'm just another creation, a foolish creation.










Well, I don't want to get too off topic here - this thread is meant to be about heaven after all, and not about the evidence (or lack thereof) for a supernatural creator, but that quote is really just a rather long-winded way of saying 'God moves in mysterious ways'.
I always found that a bit of a cop-out, though. As you said, some of those 'mysterious ways' might look like acts of evil to me (and yes, yes they do) but to say 'Well, it's not for us to judge, because we cannot possess the wisdom that God has" just feels too easy to me. It comes across as an attempt to avoid answering the age old question of 'If there is a loving god, why do so many people suffer?'.
Let's put it like this: Yes, I'm an atheist - but like every atheist I've ever met, I do not claim to know there is NO god (conversely, I've met plenty of believers who claim to 'know' there is a god... but really, they don't know there is, any more than I know there isn't. At least I admit it!) however, even is there is a god I refuse to 'obey' him if I believe his laws are unethical or evil. That is because I have a code of morality which is not tied to a Bronze Age notion of right and wrong. You spoke about the justification for stoning a woman to death - this is exactly why I find religious belief dangerous. If the justification for murder (and, make no mistake, it IS murder) can be 'God willed it', then I want no part of such a belief system.
As for blaming god for all the wrongdoings of mankind, well what about the natural disasters that kill so many every year? What about those who suffer at the hands of their fellow man, who could surely be saved from agony and death if god were to lift a finger? Is he unable? Does he not care? Does he take malevolent pleasure from watching the suffering of innocents? I'm afraid saying 'It is not for us to understand' simply doesn't cut it. Either god does not care about humankind, or he simply does not exist. I'd actually suggest that if it's the former, he deserves our adulation even less than if he is merely a myth. I'd rather worship a non-existent being than a willfully evil one.
825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Bottom of the...
Offline
Posted 10/5/13
Heaven, I think, is different for everyone. It depends on what you would call Heaven, that would determine your experience there.
I'm not sure what I'd see. If everyone has a different experience, will we see our loved ones? Who knows.
In my mind, it isn't even possible to comprehend the concept of Heaven. There are some things in this existence that are just beyond the petty perception of the glorified animals known as humans. God alone knows everything, and I believe that he ultimately lets you see what you perceive as paradise in your afterlife.
Posted 10/5/13 , edited 10/5/13

kirika202 wrote:

But one day, out of nowhere...I had the most wonderful feeling...the feeling of completeness. In my mind I yelled "God exists!" it might be crazy for you but at that moment I was trembling of happiness (that was the only moment i have felt complete happiness in all my life, it was a great feeling I can not put into words) and I looked at the sky as if it was the first time I saw the sky, I was in awe and full of joy.


It is remarkable how similar this is to what I'm like when I'm high on cannabis.
825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Bottom of the...
Offline
Posted 10/5/13

InfiniteRegress wrote:


kirika202 wrote:



You got a point...and you are right to think that way because.... you don't understand God (neither do I, no one can understand Him) but this insert from a great book summarizes my feelings and opinion towards God perfectly:



"God is God" the levite replied. "He did not tell Moses whether He was good or evil; He simply said: I AM. He is everything that exists under the sun--the lightning bolt that destroys a house, and the hand of man that rebuilds it"

"God is all-powerful. If He limited Himself to doing only that which we call good, we could not call Him the Almighty; He would command only one part of the universe, and there would exist someone more powerful than He, watching and judging His acts. In that case, I would worship that more powerful someone"

"Many times before, when I felt at peace with God and the world, the temperature was horrible, the desert wind filled my eyes with sand and did not permit me to see a hand's span before me. Not always does His plan agree with what we are or what we feel, but be assured that He has a reason for all this."


You see, I didn't believe in God before, I hated going to church and I would never open the door to a wonderful old woman who sometimes came to my house to talk about God. The Bible bored me to death and I just didn't care...I prayed sometimes out of habit and not out of love...and I would pray only when I was in trouble^^ in other words, I was a joke.

But one day, out of nowhere...I had the most wonderful feeling...the feeling of completeness. In my mind I yelled "God exists!" it might be crazy for you but at that moment I was trembling of happiness (that was the only moment i have felt complete happiness in all my life, it was a great feeling I can not put into words) and I looked at the sky as if it was the first time I saw the sky, I was in awe and full of joy. I even thought of becoming a nun because I was 100% sure that God exists and I wanted to dedicate my life to Him only. That day i bought a Bible and I read it nonstop.

Many times I had to raise my eyebrows because the God I was reading was very different to the God that all priests preached at the church and because of that, all my plans to become a nun disappeared like smoke. I don't like the church and most of the things they preach are lies (in my opinion). Things like killing a whole city or killing a woman with stones made me feel sad...but they were necessary, in my opinion, because those people were always disobeying God and it might look like evil to you but what it is evil or good for us it's not the same for God. Our minds are like a sesame seed compared to God's infinite mind.

"Everything in this world can be seen as you wish to...good or bad, simple or complicated, easy or difficult...it's not how things are; it's about how you look up to them and how you look up to them is up to you."

He is God and we are to obey Him, why He did the things He did, I don't know and I will probably never know, why He became a man and scarified Himself for sinners, why He made us sinners....I think all is to prove that He is All Powerful, (just my opinion, no one knows why God created us or why He let Satan out in this world) again, it might look like evil to you, but God is the Potter and we are the clay. He can create anything with the clay, that's how I see it.

In my case, God has been very merciful to me and he has blessed me immensely even though I'm rotten and lost most of the time.And I still think he's been very merciful to us. Why we must blame God for all the wrongdoings of mankind? "Man asked GOD, "Give me everything to enjoy life" GOD replied, "I have given you LIFE to enjoy everything." what else do we need? I know God exists and when i think about Him I just get a tender feeling in my heart. every person that truly believes in God and follows Him has a good life and is at peace with him/herself. I'm not at peace with myself because I'm doing things I shouldn't do and I fall many times...but if God wants to save me or if He wants to send me to hell, that's His choice...and I will accept it because He is God and I'm just another creation, a foolish creation.










Well, I don't want to get too off topic here - this thread is meant to be about heaven after all, and not about the evidence (or lack thereof) for a supernatural creator, but that quote is really just a rather long-winded way of saying 'God moves in mysterious ways'.
I always found that a bit of a cop-out, though. As you said, some of those 'mysterious ways' might look like acts of evil to me (and yes, yes they do) but to say 'Well, it's not for us to judge, because we cannot possess the wisdom that God has" just feels too easy to me. It comes across as an attempt to avoid answering the age old question of 'If there is a loving god, why do so many people suffer?'.
Let's put it like this: Yes, I'm an atheist - but like every atheist I've ever met, I do not claim to know there is NO god (conversely, I've met plenty of believers who claim to 'know' there is a god... but really, they don't know there is, any more than I know there isn't. At least I admit it!) however, even is there is a god I refuse to 'obey' him if I believe his laws are unethical or evil. That is because I have a code of morality which is not tied to a Bronze Age notion of right and wrong. You spoke about the justification for stoning a woman to death - this is exactly why I find religious belief dangerous. If the justification for murder (and, make no mistake, it IS murder) can be 'God willed it', then I want no part of such a belief system.
As for blaming god for all the wrongdoings of mankind, well what about the natural disasters that kill so many every year? What about those who suffer at the hands of their fellow man, who could surely be saved from agony and death if god were to lift a finger? Is he unable? Does he not care? Does he take malevolent pleasure from watching the suffering of innocents? I'm afraid saying 'It is not for us to understand' simply doesn't cut it. Either god does not care about humankind, or he simply does not exist. I'd actually suggest that if it's the former, he deserves our adulation even less than if he is merely a myth. I'd rather worship a non-existent being than a willfully evil one.





I can tell you why I think there is still suffering. And not, Its not that "God works in mysterious ways". I too am unsatisfied with that answer. Yes, God does care about humanity. Still, even though we are his creations, he isn't going to treat us like mindless hooligans who can't do anything for ourselves. God wants humanity to straighten out our own problems, he can't just hold our hand through everything. What kind of a world would that be then? I'll tell you. If you were an atheist, you'd probably get destroyed. Anyone who sinned once would probably get killed. God gave us all free will as a gift, and it is up to us to determine how we should use it. Those who cause suffering will get their judgement. Those of us who are virtuous will receive our reward. BUT, we need to find the path ON OUR OWN. We can't just say, "Hey God, just put me on a train and take me to Heaven". No. Thats not how it works. Same goes with our world, we need to find out how to fix it ourselves...not just sit around and complain about it without taking any action, and expecting God to do everything just because he made us. Jesus showed us the way, but humanity's duty is to follow it, to make this world better.

Posted 10/5/13
^exactly!!!

As for working in mysterious ways, I never said anything like it, I just said that our minds are not like God's mind, which means that He has more knowledge than us and His ways are not our ways. The person above me explained perfectly why there's still suffering.

We have free will and just because you had an accident or you were raped, it wasn't God's fault but mankind's evil nature(we are sinners, there isn't a single person who never had a bad thought towards another person or who never said a lie, according to God's law, every sinner shall die! but he's giving us the chance to be saved) Satan always tried to persuade God by telling Him that there was NOT a single human who would be loyal to Him if God didn't give them everything. This is what some people are doing, they are not given everything by God so they think he doesn't exist or don't care for Him. Satan was always jealous of mankind and God is proving that with our free will there ARE some people who will believe in God and follow Him no matter the problems and hardships they may have.

Natural disasters? we are destroying this world. The tsunamis, hurricanes and all that happens because of the contamination that's destroying the ozone layer, people get cancer or diabetes for not taking care of themselves, same with HIV. If you go to God He might help you, don't expect to receive help when you're ungrateful and hateful...and even though He helps everybody. The sunshine and the rain falls on everybody's head! what else are you asking for in life?
27123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/13
Heaven has 72 hot virgins waiting for me. I'm sure of it.
17866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ロサンゼルス (Originall...
Offline
Posted 10/5/13 , edited 10/5/13





I can tell you why I think there is still suffering. And not, Its not that "God works in mysterious ways". I too am unsatisfied with that answer. Yes, God does care about humanity. Still, even though we are his creations, he isn't going to treat us like mindless hooligans who can't do anything for ourselves. God wants humanity to straighten out our own problems, he can't just hold our hand through everything. What kind of a world would that be then? I'll tell you. If you were an atheist, you'd probably get destroyed. Anyone who sinned once would probably get killed. God gave us all free will as a gift, and it is up to us to determine how we should use it. Those who cause suffering will get their judgement. Those of us who are virtuous will receive our reward. BUT, we need to find the path ON OUR OWN. We can't just say, "Hey God, just put me on a train and take me to Heaven". No. Thats not how it works. Same goes with our world, we need to find out how to fix it ourselves...not just sit around and complain about it without taking any action, and expecting God to do everything just because he made us. Jesus showed us the way, but humanity's duty is to follow it, to make this world better.



That's a thoughtful, well-argued response. I don't buy it for a second, but it's probably the best answer that anyone asking the question I did is ever likely to get from a believer. The problem though, is that it still doesn't let god off the hook for being neglectful. I mean, it's all very well saying 'Humankind has to find its own way', but, as I said previously, it still does not exempt the supreme being from protecting the innocents who die due to no fault of humankind, in - and the term we use really says it all - catastrophic 'Acts of God'.
It's why, even though I honestly try to be tolerant of all belief systems, I find it incredibly grating when my Facebook newsfeed is filled with comments and requests for prayers after the latest natural disaster has wiped out hundreds or thousands in some Third World country. 'Praying for the victims of the' tsunami/hurricane/earthquake etc. Really? Do you think your god is listening? Because, if he really cares about the well being of those people, why did he allow it to happen in the first place? Indeed, why did he even bother to create earthquakes or tsunamis at all??
With all that said, I absolutely agree with you on one thing: Whether a particular god, or pantheon of gods exist or are merely mythology, whether you are a believer, a deist (and your own comment sounds distinctly deistic, although I imagine you identify as Christian) or an atheist: It is not up to some supernatural creator in the sky to make the planet a better place for all, it is our sole responsibility. We cannot rely on help from the ether, or the decree of the heavens. Unfortunately, I do see religion as a major stumbling block in our mission to make an Earthly paradise. :)
Now, we've gone way off topic. Think I'm going to hand this back to those who wish to discuss the issue at hand!
17866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ロサンゼルス (Originall...
Offline
Posted 10/5/13 , edited 10/5/13



As for working in mysterious ways, I never said anything like it, I just said that our minds are not like God's mind, which means that He has more knowledge than us and His ways are not our ways. The person above me explained perfectly why there's still suffering.

We have free will and just because you had an accident or you were raped, it wasn't God's fault but mankind's evil nature(we are sinners, there isn't a single person who never had a bad thought towards another person or who never said a lie, according to God's law, every sinner shall die! but he's giving us the chance to be saved) Satan always tried to persuade God by telling Him that there was NOT a single human who would be loyal to Him if God didn't give them everything. This is what some people are doing, they are not given everything by God so they think he doesn't exist or don't care for Him. Satan was always jealous of mankind and God is proving that with our free will there ARE some people who will believe in God and follow Him no matter the problems and hardships they may have.

Natural disasters? we are destroying this world. The tsunamis, hurricanes and all that happens because of the contamination that's destroying the ozone layer, people get cancer or diabetes for not taking care of themselves, same with HIV. If you go to God He might help you, don't expect to receive help when you're ungrateful and hateful...and even though He helps everybody. The sunshine and the rain falls on everybody's head! what else are you asking for in life?


Apologies if I was unclear. I wasn't saying that you were suggesting 'God works in mysterious ways', I was referring to the quote which you posted, the point of which was exactly that.

As far as putting words into other people's mouths, I should point out that I do not blame god for the evils of the world. Would be rather absurd of me to blame an entity which I absolutely do not believe exists!
As for natural disasters happening because of humankind's wanton destruction of the planet, while we are certainly exacerbating nature's most destructive tendencies, I'm going to presume that you're aware that earthquakes, tsunamis and the like have happened for millions (billions in the case of earthquakes) of years, right? Long before humankind's ancestors crawled out of the primeval goo. I've never met a Trilobyte personally, but I think it would be a bit judgemental to label them 'sinners'.
So disease is a punishment for not taking care of yourself? Forgive me if I misunderstood, but that really does seem to be what you're saying. Excuse my anglo-saxon, but as someone who has known people who have died from both cancer and HIV, I find that incredibly fucking offensive. I truly hope you never know the heartbreak of a loved one who dies a slow, agonizing death from brain cancer, but if you do, perhaps you will re-evaluate your comment, which is tantamount to saying 'Well, they deserved it because they didn't take care of themselves'. It's also a patently ridiculous comment, especially when you consider than both HIV and cancer are especially devastating to the poorest people on the planet - AIDS is rife in 3rd World nations, and certain types of cancer are especially prevalent in communities where poverty results, through not fault of the people themselves, in poor diet.
You posted 'What else are you asking for in life?' - EXCELLENT POINT!!! Seriously, it's something I would dearly love to ask every single believer. Due to some wonderful good fortune, I've been able to see a great deal of this planet throughout my life, and hope to see quite a bit more of it before I depart. Despite the violence, the destruction and the cruelty which we can all find without looking too hard, I think there is beauty and wonder every way you turn. However, it seems to me that this isn't enough for the religious mind. There *must* be a heaven for the worthy, and a hell for the damned. There *must* be 'something more' to life than this. I have to ask: How much more do you need? If you cannot find wonder and joy in this absurd, short time on Earth, if you have to look to the supernatural for guidance because you are unable, or unwilling, to comprehend the basics or 'right' and 'wrong' without divine help, then you truly are a lost soul.
Anyhow, thanks for the discussion. I do hope you'll reconsider your attitude towards people a little, because it comes across as quite intolerant . I think you'll find that a little compassion for your fellow humans can go a long way, no matter what your religious beliefs.
As I said in a previous post, I think we've kind of taken this thread off topic a bit, so I'm going to hand back to people who want to actually post relevant opinions. I just wanted to address some of your comments, and clarify some of my own. (^_^)

Posted 10/5/13 , edited 10/6/13




Feelings and personal matters aside, it is a well known fact that cancer and especially diabetes are caused due to our bad habits either with food, drugs or life style or it could be hereditary... poor or rich- family or stranger, that's simply the truth and it isn't because God wants it to happen and that's what I was trying to convey. I would never wish for anyone to go through something like that even though I have friends with HIV and I have one sister who had cancer. I had diabetes but thanks to a change in my eating habits and life style in general I was able to beat the disease!! so PLEASE, stop taking this the wrong way. Yes, I know some people don't have the blessings we have but that's not my point so don't make it into a personal matter. As for natural disasters, it could be a billion things, contamination was just an example, the cycles of earth, the cyclical climate patterns, and the tectonic plates were/are always changing but contamination makes it even worse. Sorry I wasn't clear in my last post, it wasn't my intention to offend anyone.


Like you said in the beginning, let's better not discuss whether He exists or not...it would be a never-ending topic!so let's agree to disagree but I admit that I felt offended when you addressed God like the devil and Satan like more sympathetic. Which is funny because you are thinking exactly how Satan wants you to think. Satan told God that no human being would worship God if He didn't give them everything and when God hides his face from them, they will curse him...this is what you are doing, not cursing Him per say but you think if God exists he is evil because He doesn't lift a finger, I just found it quite ironic that this was written thousands of years ago and it is the truth on this day....most of us curse God when things go wrong in this world.



Satan to God: “Would Job worship you if he got nothing out of it?” -- “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”


edit: with that quote, satan was trying to persuade God that He made a mistake with creating humanity because no one was worthy of all the blessings God is giving us and that He should destroy us. To Satan we are a foolish creation, he tried to prove this with Adam and Eve.
But God is always giving us second chances and will prove/has proven him that there is indeed human beings who love him without expecting to receive something out of it. And what God is doing with all this is waiting for His people, yes God is a loving God but curse him and all and he will respond like when you curse your mother or your father. God is not a genie in the bottle who will come to your rescue when you call him, show respect and humility first. He is our King of kings, after all, we should be serving Him and not the other way around.

If you care to know why bad things happen in this world according to the Bible is because


Yes, we got off topic here so I will not say anything more, I was merely responding to your " what about the natural disasters that kill so many every year? What about those who suffer at the hands of their fellow man, who could surely be saved from agony and death if god were to lift a finger?" questions which seemed like you were blaming God for not doing anything and if he doesn't do anything He doesn't exist or He doesn't care, according to you. You believe what you believe and so do I. Take care! =)
9809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Trost
Offline
Posted 10/6/13
I can't help but think that heaven isn't at all what we think its like. I mean....why would 1/3 of the angels decide to rebel if everything was perfect. Just sayin...
59 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 10/7/13
It may not be said that there is no "heaven", however, there is no good reason to believe that there is one. And, quite frankly, I'm glade there is no evidence for an unalterable, unmovable, celestial party.

It's quite insulting to tell humans that there is a heaven, and that they need to act justly and morally to get into it, as if we couldn't do that of our own volition. If getting into heaven were the bases of our moral actions, to go to heaven, to get a better deal in another life, that would imply without a heaven we'd all be wicked people murdering and raping each other in the streets.

I don't kill people because it's wrong, not because I'm trying to hedge my bets with the heavens.

My thoughts on heaven? The very idea is a wicked, vile preachment dating to a time when supernatural explanations sufficed and sheep herders at the beginning of the bronze age wrote several fabrications then and now labeled as "divinely inspired."
825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Bottom of the...
Offline
Posted 10/7/13

Sakurako_Kimino wrote:

It may not be said that there is no "heaven", however, there is no good reason to believe that there is one. And, quite frankly, I'm glade there is no evidence for an unalterable, unmovable, celestial party.

It's quite insulting to tell humans that there is a heaven, and that they need to act justly and morally to get into it, as if we couldn't do that of our own volition. If getting into heaven were the bases of our moral actions, to go to heaven, to get a better deal in another life, that would imply without a heaven we'd all be wicked people murdering and raping each other in the streets.

I don't kill people because it's wrong, not because I'm trying to hedge my bets with the heavens.

My thoughts on heaven? The very idea is a wicked, vile preachment dating to a time when supernatural explanations sufficed and sheep herders at the beginning of the bronze age wrote several fabrications then and now labeled as "divinely inspired."



This sounds like an observation made by a person who has no idea what Christianity is.

If you knew what Christianity was, you would know that people do good things not because they fear hell, but because they acknowledge the good that God calls us to do. No offense, but it sounds kind of silly when you try to attack an idea that you know nothing about.
59 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 10/7/13 , edited 10/7/13

HellYEAAAHH wrote:
This sounds like an observation made by a person who has no idea what Christianity is.

If you knew what Christianity was, you would know that people do good things not because they fear hell, but because they acknowledge the good that God calls us to do. No offense, but it sounds kind of silly when you try to attack an idea that you know nothing about.
I never once mentioned the Christian faith, Love, nor is the concept of "heaven" unique to the Judo-Christian monotheist doctrine as you seem to believe it is.

Nevertheless, since you brought it up, you mention the " good that God calls us to do." I sincerely hope you don't follow that to the letter. I mean really, do you wake up on Sunday, see your neighbor mowing his lawn and think, "Mowing his lawn? On Sunday? I really should kill him." Does it include stoning people for adultery? Allowing and perpetuating the systematic injustice of slavery? Letting those who win tribal disputes take the virgins of the losing tribes so they can be raped by the victors? Death for apostasy?

What about telling people that they're not children made in the image of god, they're faggots, and they can't join your church and they can't get into heaven? You'd think with 60% of teen suicides being gay teen suicides you wouldn't want a church telling kids they're deviant abominations for fulfilling their sexual destiny as they see fit.

I think it sounds rather silly to me, that you act like you know what Christianity is, without acknowledging the group based harms of systematic oppression and slaughter by the parties of god who believe their bigotry is divine.

You lose, Love; you lose.
825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Bottom of the...
Offline
Posted 10/7/13 , edited 10/7/13

Sakurako_Kimino wrote:


HellYEAAAHH wrote:
This sounds like an observation made by a person who has no idea what Christianity is.

If you knew what Christianity was, you would know that people do good things not because they fear hell, but because they acknowledge the good that God calls us to do. No offense, but it sounds kind of silly when you try to attack an idea that you know nothing about.
I never once mentioned the Christian faith, Love, nor is the concept of "heaven" unique to the Judo-Christian monotheist doctrine as you seem to believe it is.

Nevertheless, since you brought it up, you mention the " good that God calls us to do." I sincerely hope you don't follow that to the letter. I mean really, do you wake up on Sunday, see your neighbor mowing his lawn and think, "Mowing his lawn? On Sunday? I really should kill him." Does it include stoning people for adultery? Allowing and perpetuating the systematic injustice of slavery? Letting those who win tribal disputes take the virgins of the losing tribes so they can be raped by the victors? Death for apostasy?

What about telling people that they're not children made in the image of god, they're faggots, and they can't join your church and they can't get into heaven? You'd think with 60% of teen suicides being gay teen suicides you wouldn't want a church telling kids they're deviant abominations for fulfilling their sexual destiny as they see fit.

I think it sounds rather silly to me, that you act like you know what Christianity is, without acknowledging the group based harms of systematic oppression and slaughter by the parties of god who believe their bigotry is divine.

You lose, Love; you lose.



It seems to me like you have been living under a rock for the past few hundred years. The days of the corrupt church are long gone, my man. If you still believe that the church practices slaughter and hate on other faiths, you really need to get your info straight because that doesn't happen anymore, and it hasn't happened for many decades. Even so, the church is run by humans, who are flawed as can be. You can't blame God or his teachings on a dysfunctional human institution.

But still, your response is the highest form of comprehension I could expect from a bigot like yourself. Get some facts next time, buddy. Otherwise you just look like a fool.
59 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 10/7/13

HellYEAAAHH wrote:
It seems to me like you have been living under a rock for the past few hundred years. The days of the corrupt church are long gone, my man. If you still believe that the church practices slaughter and hate on other faiths, you really need to get your info straight because that doesn't happen anymore, and it hasn't happened for many decades. Even so, the church is run by humans, who are flawed as can be. You can't blame God or his teachings on a dysfunctional human institution.

But still, your response is the highest form of comprehension I could expect from a bigot like yourself. Get some facts next time, buddy. Otherwise you just look like a fool.
I find it interesting that you pass your greatest weakness off as, instead, my greatest weakness. I would implore you to reread what I posted previously as either: you didn't read it at all and simply skimmed a few keywords or, more likely, you have terrible reading comprehension.

But, for the last time Love, I will be more than polite.

You claim I should get the facts, well, perhaps a mere appraisal of the facts are indeed in order. (Given the number of offensives committed by the church, reference to any one must necessarily be rather summary). Off the top of my head, the Christianity is responsible for:
The first few are older, but the rest took place in the last 80 years. Indeed, it can be seen that the church still practices hate and slaughter. This is to be expected from the parties of god, who believe god is on their side. Morally normal people do wicked and disgusting things with divine permission.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.