• Don't know what to watch? Try a random show!
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Post Reply The "Anime is a Cartoon" Argument.
9468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
Hmmm.....

No mention of the actual history of western animation?

How it was more for adults originally?

10306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
totally forgot that. ^^^^

as for the cartoon thing, it bother me calling anime a cartoon becuase then stupid parents will let their kids watch this stuff without knowing what it is, 'becuase cartoon are for kids'. dont think 6 year olds should be watching school days or to love ru.
2254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Whatever.
Offline
Posted 16 days ago

nemoskull wrote:

totally forgot that. ^^^^

as for the cartoon thing, it bother me calling anime a cartoon because then stupid parents will let their kids watch this stuff without knowing what it is, 'becuase cartoon are for kids'. dont think 6 year olds should be watching school days or to love ru.



It's no different from movies, regular tv, video games, books, ect. Parents need to be responsible and know which anime is appropriate for their kids. There are anime like Sgt frog, and other anime that are more kid appropriate. A kid that has access to the net is going to find the porn, the violence and all that anyhow, anime isn't an exception.
3563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
Anime simply used to mean that it was animated. Animation is a medium not a genre.

Anime, used to be different from cartoons in that it treated animation as a medium not a genre, like cartoons.

Nowadays, that argument is hard to make.
6620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
Well let;s see, here's the definition for a Cartoon:

A motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.

So unless they're film live in different realities, I think they are a cartoon.
The Wise Wizard
81783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 16 days ago

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

Anime to me isn't just japanese exclusive, I call Avatar, Korra, and RWBY "Western Animes" because to me anime is a certain style of work and not just a shorten term for animation.

A cartoon I consider something that is aimed at kids 1-12 years old, doesn't have a plot really, animation is simplistic, extremely simple characters, and doesn't have really any depth to it really. Turn on Nick, Nick Jr, Cartoon Network and you'll see what I mean.

One problem with that definition is that some animation created in Japan and intended primarily for Japanese audiences (my definition of anime) would then not be anime.

23444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
The major problem with calling anime a cartoon is the cultural baggage the word "cartoon" carries in the West and especially in the US. Call something a cartoon and the vast majority of Americans are going to think it is something appropriate for young children. Imagine their shock if they sat down with their 6 year old to watch Attack on Titan.

The real problem is we do not have a word in English that covers animation directed at a mature audience. If you say "adult animation" that conjures up imagery of pornography which some anime tumble dangerously close to but would be an incorrect linkage to ones such as "Your Lie in April".

And while calling something "animation" opens certain doors "Frozen" is not called a cartoon but an animated film and shows that even the genertic term has strong links to children's entertainment.

In the end, for now at least, the term anime is the best word we have in English to point out that this is animated entertainment directed to a mature audience and is not for young children. Of course, this does create some issues as there are a handful of anime that are appropriate for young children but I'd rather point out the exceptions to people than deal with the fallout of equating anime with the word cartoon.
2569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
well it technically is
13015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Magnolia
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
Anime is more realistic (characters are more human with emotions and looks)
Cartoons are childish looking (characters are mutants)

Saying anime is a cartoon ticks me off because when I think of a cartoon I think of something unrealistic like Adventure Time which I believe is horrible like most cartoons these days are. When I think of anime I think of a drawn show of real people in real possible situations.

Also cartoons are English speaking child shows while anime is a Japanese speaking teenager-adult show.
39042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 16 days ago , edited 16 days ago
"More Realistic?"

Also, Cool World and Wizards would like to have a discussion with you about 'cartoons are for kids'
1870 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 16 days ago
Cartoons, anime and animation are all synonyms. Get over it!
43917 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Colorado
Online
Posted 16 days ago

TheAncientOne wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

Anime to me isn't just japanese exclusive, I call Avatar, Korra, and RWBY "Western Animes" because to me anime is a certain style of work and not just a shorten term for animation.

A cartoon I consider something that is aimed at kids 1-12 years old, doesn't have a plot really, animation is simplistic, extremely simple characters, and doesn't have really any depth to it really. Turn on Nick, Nick Jr, Cartoon Network and you'll see what I mean.

One problem with that definition is that some animation created in Japan and intended primarily for Japanese audiences (my definition of anime) would then not be anime.



I'm going with the generalization here. Mostly, I consider "anime" to be directed towards a more mature audience, but of course there's some exceptions. There always will be. Hell, even some shows like Gundam Build Fighters are PG rated, but they still meet my requirements of anime because it has decent animation, characters with some depth, and a story that is cohesive despite being targeted for a young age (same goes for yugioh).

Anyways, ideally all animes are cartoons if we get to the bare bones of reality here. But as domvina says below, the general conscious in society is that cartoon = young audience, thus why when your roommate asks you, "da fuck you watching bro?" You don't say, "a japanese cartoon" you say, "I'm watching anime."

This is why it's good to differentiate the two because the general public and society has already categorized the two to be different things, so I will as well.


domvina wrote:

The major problem with calling anime a cartoon is the cultural baggage the word "cartoon" carries in the West and especially in the US. Call something a cartoon and the vast majority of Americans are going to think it is something appropriate for young children. Imagine their shock if they sat down with their 6 year old to watch Attack on Titan.

The real problem is we do not have a word in English that covers animation directed at a mature audience. If you say "adult animation" that conjures up imagery of pornography which some anime tumble dangerously close to but would be an incorrect linkage to ones such as "Your Lie in April".

And while calling something "animation" opens certain doors "Frozen" is not called a cartoon but an animated film and shows that even the genertic term has strong links to children's entertainment.

In the end, for now at least, the term anime is the best word we have in English to point out that this is animated entertainment directed to a mature audience and is not for young children. Of course, this does create some issues as there are a handful of anime that are appropriate for young children but I'd rather point out the exceptions to people than deal with the fallout of equating anime with the word cartoon.


Yes, this is exactly right. Anime is really the best term that we can differentiate "animation directed towards to a more mature audience".
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.