Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply The "Anime is a Cartoon" Argument.
12121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
[not] China
Offline
Posted 6/24/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

I remember when I was 12 and I called "Ed, edd and eddy" an "anime", and the people on that Harry Potter forum would get so mad at me. And I kept wondering why...

Technically, I was correct.
Only if it was dubbed japanese
16027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/24/13
Or poorly dubbed into english
17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/24/13

Bleidkhord wrote:

Anime is a cartoon. Like you said, anime is short hand for animation back in japan. Cartoon is also animation,ergo the same. THE DIFFERENCE is style. Anime is eastern style (sometimes can cross western like PSG) and Cartoon is western style (sometimes cross with eastern like the Avatar series)

But bottom lime, they are still on the confines of animation.


Anime has no style its just a word that stands for animation.(Fact, not opinion) Anime is the Japanese word they use for all cartoons, at that the Japanese call American animated shows like bugs bunny anime as well. At that the animated cartoon Spiderman was a big hit in Japan 10 or so years ago. They Loved that American Anime. In the same way I love Japanese cartoons.


On another note am I going to call all cartoons from Germany zeichentrickfilm?
As long as your in a English speaking country, the word Cartoon can be used for all animated shows no matter where they are from. (FACT)

2342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / Morioh-cho
Offline
Posted 6/24/13

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Bleidkhord wrote:

Anime is a cartoon. Like you said, anime is short hand for animation back in japan. Cartoon is also animation,ergo the same. THE DIFFERENCE is style. Anime is eastern style (sometimes can cross western like PSG) and Cartoon is western style (sometimes cross with eastern like the Avatar series)

But bottom lime, they are still on the confines of animation.


Anime has no style its just a word that stands for animation.(Fact, not opinion) Anime is the Japanese word they use for all cartoons, at that the Japanese call American animated shows like bugs bunny anime as well. At that the animated cartoon Spiderman was a big hit in Japan 10 or so years ago. They Loved that American Anime. In the same way I love Japanese cartoons.


On another note am I going to call all cartoons from Germany zeichentrickfilm?
As long as your in a English speaking country, the word Cartoon can be used for all animated shows no matter where they are from. (FACT)



Like i said,they are all in the confines of animation,so it doesn't matter what they are called.

Im using the word anime here to describe the style Japanese normally use. There's a difference in animation in different parts of the world. Hell even Chinese cartoons have a different style.

Also germans should have a style similar to the english. Though i never seen German animation before.
21156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 6/24/13

FlyinDumpling wrote:

There is no argument, it is a cartoon


17886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/25/13 , edited 6/25/13

Bleidkhord wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Bleidkhord wrote:

Anime is a cartoon. Like you said, anime is short hand for animation back in japan. Cartoon is also animation,ergo the same. THE DIFFERENCE is style. Anime is eastern style (sometimes can cross western like PSG) and Cartoon is western style (sometimes cross with eastern like the Avatar series)

But bottom lime, they are still on the confines of animation.


Anime has no style its just a word that stands for animation.(Fact, not opinion) Anime is the Japanese word they use for all cartoons, at that the Japanese call American animated shows like bugs bunny anime as well. At that the animated cartoon Spiderman was a big hit in Japan 10 or so years ago. They Loved that American Anime. In the same way I love Japanese cartoons.


On another note am I going to call all cartoons from Germany zeichentrickfilm?
As long as your in a English speaking country, the word Cartoon can be used for all animated shows no matter where they are from. (FACT)



Like i said,they are all in the confines of animation,so it doesn't matter what they are called.

Im using the word anime here to describe the style Japanese normally use. There's a difference in animation in different parts of the world. Hell even Chinese cartoons have a different style.

Also germans should have a style similar to the english. Though i never seen German animation before.


The style that most Japanimation is based off, is from classic American cartoons such as Betty Boop. then they moved on to fuse in some of the Fire and Ice style. Also American form of art.
2342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / Morioh-cho
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Bleidkhord wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Bleidkhord wrote:

Anime is a cartoon. Like you said, anime is short hand for animation back in japan. Cartoon is also animation,ergo the same. THE DIFFERENCE is style. Anime is eastern style (sometimes can cross western like PSG) and Cartoon is western style (sometimes cross with eastern like the Avatar series)

But bottom lime, they are still on the confines of animation.


Anime has no style its just a word that stands for animation.(Fact, not opinion) Anime is the Japanese word they use for all cartoons, at that the Japanese call American animated shows like bugs bunny anime as well. At that the animated cartoon Spiderman was a big hit in Japan 10 or so years ago. They Loved that American Anime. In the same way I love Japanese cartoons.


On another note am I going to call all cartoons from Germany zeichentrickfilm?
As long as your in a English speaking country, the word Cartoon can be used for all animated shows no matter where they are from. (FACT)



Like i said,they are all in the confines of animation,so it doesn't matter what they are called.

Im using the word anime here to describe the style Japanese normally use. There's a difference in animation in different parts of the world. Hell even Chinese cartoons have a different style.

Also germans should have a style similar to the english. Though i never seen German animation before.


The style that most Japanimation is based off, is from classic American cartoons such as Betty Boop. then they moved on to fuse in some of the Fire and Ice style. Also American form of art.



Then it evolved to it's own art form. The big sparkling eyes was also inspired from those of Bambi if i recall correctly. Im actually really impressed on how much it has developed into it's own style over time and then branching off. From classic Osamu to hot blooded Nagai to gritty Masamune and so on. Canadian animation ain't half bad either. Not much to choose but what can you do.
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
I have read almost all the replies; and well almost who have argument for "anime is cartoon" say that just cuz they have similar definitions;

which is entirely bogus; cartoons are just paper drawings while gradually people started calling animations featuring cartoons as cartoons;
Like many mentioned anime is just the Japanese short-form of Animation and they call every "animation featuring cartoons" anime.

Cartoons are a part of animation and anime is short for animation; and so its impossible for anime to be cartoon since anime is a 3-D concept while while cartoons are 2-D.

Even if you consider what people started calling cartoons as cartoons; then also cartoons will be considered an anime and not always
the vice-versa; since not every animations were called cartoons (E.g. the cutscenes in games are obviously not called cartoons )
A very well animated character even if its a game character is considered a anime character (short for animated character).

What context you want to use anime and cartoons is entirely upto you; but remember just cuz penguin can swim it doesnt become a fish..
15289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The magical land...
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
"Anime" is to "animation"
what "katana" is to "sword"
The Japanese call "green tea" "tea" because it used to be that all the tea they drank was green.
and they called "black tea" "red tea".
157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St. Louis, Missouri
Offline
Posted 7/23/13

Strawhatgx wrote:

I have read almost all the replies; and well almost who have argument for "anime is cartoon" say that just cuz they have similar definitions;

which is entirely bogus; cartoons are just paper drawings while gradually people started calling animations featuring cartoons as cartoons;
Like many mentioned anime is just the Japanese short-form of Animation and they call every "animation featuring cartoons" anime.

Cartoons are a part of animation and anime is short for animation; and so its impossible for anime to be cartoon since anime is a 3-D concept while while cartoons are 2-D.

Even if you consider what people started calling cartoons as cartoons; then also cartoons will be considered an anime and not always
the vice-versa; since not every animations were called cartoons (E.g. the cutscenes in games are obviously not called cartoons )
A very well animated character even if its a game character is considered a anime character (short for animated character).

What context you want to use anime and cartoons is entirely upto you; but remember just cuz penguin can swim it doesnt become a fish..






"Cartoons are a part of animation and anime is short for animation; and so its impossible for anime to be cartoon since anime is a 3-D concept while while cartoons are 2-D."
???

So Pixar is anime while Studio Ghibli is cartoon?
So early episodes of Speed Racer, DBZ, Naruto, Gundam, Astro Boy, Space Runaway Ideon, and Pokemon were all cartoons?


Cartoon = Animation
Anime = Animation

They both are animation. (And are mostly hand drawn)
25875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
What people seem to over look is that they are both a style of ANIMATION rather than Anime being a sub-genre of cartoons. In my personal opinion Anime style is better than Cartoon style simply because Cartoons are controlled by the laws of eastern governments which are far stricter then those of Japan, which allows Anime to display more explicit content E.G. violence, up skirt humor etc...
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / USA
Online
Posted 7/23/13
Ok, so from what I read off this thread is there are two different viewpoints: 1.Western 2.Eastern. The western opinion seems to be that there is a difference in the type of show; whether it is serious or not, most anime shows have real themes and meanings behind them while western younger aimed shows are for pure entertainment with no thought provoking ideas. The Eastern opinion is that all shows that are cartoons are anime with no distinguishing opinion between western made and eastern made. Personally, I don't take the textbook eastern definition because I truly feel that all though cartoons and animr are made similar their target audience and quality of content are so divergent that anime becomes a new medium of its own rather than a sub-genre of cartoons.




On a side note, I think there is a stigma associated with watching "cartoons" at an older age More so in NA than in Japan
13771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
anime is not a cartoon,the 3-D concept is a factor for anime that separates it from cartoons,but also you guys are missing the fact that anime is for a more mature audience.
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/13

"Cartoons are a part of animation and anime is short for animation; and so its impossible for anime to be cartoon since anime is a 3-D concept while while cartoons are 2-D."
???

So Pixar is anime while Studio Ghibli is cartoon?
So early episodes of Speed Racer, DBZ, Naruto, Gundam, Astro Boy, Space Runaway Ideon, and Pokemon were all cartoons?


Cartoon = Animation
Anime = Animation

They both are animation. (And are mostly hand drawn)


Animation comes from animate which means living or in a sense moving.
General definition of cartoons doesnt require a moving thing ; just basically a drawing.

Moving cartoons=> Animation (which is long for Anime)

like a moving car => motion

Now will you say motion is a car?

No you wont ; and my implication of anime being a 3-D concept was to show that there is one more dimension involved in moving them.
and so you now get whatever animation studio produces it; its an anime.



10081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / NYC
Offline
Posted 7/23/13

KyuuA4 wrote:


twintiger12 wrote:
But we usually use the term anime for any animation from Japan. It's like calling manga instead of Japanese comics or manhwa for Korean comics.


But can Americans make any of that?


No. Unless it's created in Japan, it can't be called anime or manga. It would just be called a comic here.

To me, anime is just animation from Japan. It doesn't matter what the style is because in Japan, it can vary as much as it does here in the US. In Japan, all animation is called anime and I guess we took that to indicate where the animated show came from. It's like RPG and JRPG. RPG is the genre and JRPG just means it's an RPG from Japan. Manga is a comic that originates from Japan. If it did not come from Japan, it would be called a comic or whatever word is used to connect to where it came from. Such as, an Italian comic is Fumetti and French comics BD because that's what they're called there.

Aside from styles because anyone can recreate that, it's the content that would be different and why we wouldn't call it a cartoon or comic. Their culture in Japan is different than culture here in the US, and you can clearly see it in anime and manga. That's something you can't recreate which is why it's different even if the medium is the same.

I hope this all makes sense...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.