First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Yuri Manga !
7223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / No Stalking
Offline
Posted 6/18/13
I really love yuri so much. I just wanted to know who else is with me here. And what are your favorites. I'm looking to expand my collection. My favorite so far is Prism ( Higashiyama Shou). Sadly they haven't updated anything new because of some really stupid reason. So what are your favorite?
15043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 6/18/13
There's a bunch, but the most memorable to me (the ones I can remember off the top of my head right now) are:
1) Sasameki Koto
2) Yuru Yuri
Kicchu 
32846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 6/18/13
I personally like Sasameki Koto and Girl Friends the most, but I've enjoyed what I've read of Zenryaku, Yuri no Sono Yori, too. :3 I liked Aoi Hana for a while, but it just seemed to fizzle out.
26110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 6/19/13
I've only read 1 yuri manga and that was Girl Friends, and to be honest I loved it, probably finished it in less than 3 days and it was worth it.
16819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 6/19/13
I personally like the one shot yuri stories. There short, sweet, and enjoyable. (well most of the time). Also for other yuri manga I enjoyed Hana To Hoshi, Renai Idenshi XX, and Hoshikawa Ginza Yonchoume.
4741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 6/19/13
Shitsurakuen is the first and only yuri manga I've read, though it's a bit of an enigma when it comes the genre it fits under. It technically fits under the genres of: action, fantasy, harem, shoujoai, and shounen. I personally consider it to be rather comedic, too. I adore it, especially since it's fairly dark and messes with my head. Several details of the ending surprised me, as well. Shitsurakuen is one series that a person should finish before passing judgement. Trust me.
20516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 6/20/13

aeb0717 wrote:

Shitsurakuen is the first and only yuri manga I've read, though it's a bit of an enigma when it comes the genre it fits under. It technically fits under the genres of: action, fantasy, harem, shoujoai, and shounen. I personally consider it to be rather comedic, too. I adore it, especially since it's fairly dark and messes with my head. Several details of the ending surprised me, as well. Shitsurakuen is one series that a person should finish before passing judgement. Trust me.


The ending of this manga was terrible. I don't recommend it.
Vu-vu 
70743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/20/13
I'd recommend Sasameki Koto as well! It's my absolute favorite among all shoujo ai titles. Although I don't really know a lot of them. It would be nice if someone could show me or direct me to a list of shoujo ai titles.
25077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/13
I'd also recommend the following:
*Octave
*Girlfriends (it's consider the quintessential yuri manga, so read it if you want a good introduction)
*Aoi Hana
4741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 6/20/13

CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:

Shitsurakuen is the first and only yuri manga I've read, though it's a bit of an enigma when it comes the genre it fits under. It technically fits under the genres of: action, fantasy, harem, shoujoai, and shounen. I personally consider it to be rather comedic, too. I adore it, especially since it's fairly dark and messes with my head. Several details of the ending surprised me, as well. Shitsurakuen is one series that a person should finish before passing judgement. Trust me.


The ending of this manga was terrible. I don't recommend it.


Meh. I don't see how the ending is terrible, but whatever.
20516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 6/20/13 , edited 6/20/13

aeb0717 wrote:


CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:

Shitsurakuen is the first and only yuri manga I've read, though it's a bit of an enigma when it comes the genre it fits under. It technically fits under the genres of: action, fantasy, harem, shoujoai, and shounen. I personally consider it to be rather comedic, too. I adore it, especially since it's fairly dark and messes with my head. Several details of the ending surprised me, as well. Shitsurakuen is one series that a person should finish before passing judgement. Trust me.


The ending of this manga was terrible. I don't recommend it.


Meh. I don't see how the ending is terrible, but whatever.


The girls were treated like dogs by the despicable guys for 4/5 of the manga's run! From emotional and physical abuse to sexual harassment. Most of them doing it just for the hell of it, others believing females were below them and thus should be treated like such! And in the end the girls that were physically and emotional abused on a daily just freaking forgive their abusers without a second thought and even start dating them! After making you hate the guys so much how can you not find the idea of these girls just letting "bygones be bygones" and pairing up with these scum repulsive!? The ending was a blatant display of Stockholm Syndrome! Even the Japanese readers lashed out and the author had to write another chapter changing the ending slightly. Only slightly, because even in that ending the girls were paired with the guys. By the end of this manga all the Yuri elements were destroyed. Even the main character was paired up with a guy instead of the girl she was in love with for the entire manga.

---------------------------

Recommended Yuri Mangas

1. Hanjuku Joshi
2. Ebisu-san and Hotei-san
3. Prism Higashiyama Shou
4. Yuri Hime Wildrose. (A massive collection of Yuri manga by many different authors featured in one volume. There are currently 6 volumes of Yuri Hime Wildrose)
5. Girl Friends
6. Kashimashi - Girl Meets Girl
7. Maka Maka
8. Gokujyo: Gokurakuin Joshikōryō Monogatari (Not really Yuri but it takes place in an all girls school and the girls do a lot of pervy yet hilarious stuff. Maybe it could be classified as Shoujo Ai. It's more comedy oriented than story and the art is great. A personal favorite.)
25482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/20/13

CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:


CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:

Shitsurakuen is the first and only yuri manga I've read, though it's a bit of an enigma when it comes the genre it fits under. It technically fits under the genres of: action, fantasy, harem, shoujoai, and shounen. I personally consider it to be rather comedic, too. I adore it, especially since it's fairly dark and messes with my head. Several details of the ending surprised me, as well. Shitsurakuen is one series that a person should finish before passing judgement. Trust me.


The ending of this manga was terrible. I don't recommend it.


Meh. I don't see how the ending is terrible, but whatever.


The girls were treated like dogs by the despicable guys for 4/5 of the manga's run! From emotional and physical abuse to sexual harassment. Most of them doing it just for the hell of it, others believing females were below them and thus should be treated like such! And in the end the girls that were physically and emotional abused on a daily just freaking forgive their abusers without a second thought and even start dating them! After making you hate the guys so much how can you not find the idea of these girls just letting "bygones be bygones" and pairing up with these scum repulsive!? The ending was a blatant display of Stockholm Syndrome! Even the Japanese readers lashed out and the author had to write another chapter changing the ending slightly. Only slightly, because even in that ending the girls were paired with the guys. By the end of this manga all the Yuri elements were destroyed. Even the main character was paired up with a guy instead of the girl she was in love with for the entire manga.


I really see no point in getting so emotional over a manga, series (TV or novel), or movie. I have not read it yet, but there are many stories that I have found distasteful in a Manga or Anime release, but I do not call for the creator to change it. If it gives you emotion, then it should not be changed since that is a writer's main duty, which is to get people into the emotion of watching and/or reading something with personal reaction.

I see a lot of underground manga/anime that have it where a guy often rapes the girl, unemotional toward her, or has never met until the end of the series. Then during the last chapter or two they wind up with their captors, or the guy who basically spat at her, or even the guy she never seen till then. I do not expect them to change the outcome just to suit my needs. It is just a story within the writer's imagination, so be civilized and let the artists work.

The fact that even in a video game, it meant nothing to me for them to change the ending. It made no difference! Mass Effect 3, is the one I am talking about. If you feel accomplished at changing the artists' works just because you are unhappy, then I feel sorry for you.

In Kekkaishi, I was so ticked off that they did not explore the powers of that one little girl even more, the one that could see ghosts. I was overly disappointed to where I had a major distaste for it at the end, but it does not mean I want them to change it. Do I care? Yes, but I understand it is their work, not ours.
20516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 6/20/13

DonMoriarty wrote:


CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:


CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:

Shitsurakuen is the first and only yuri manga I've read, though it's a bit of an enigma when it comes the genre it fits under. It technically fits under the genres of: action, fantasy, harem, shoujoai, and shounen. I personally consider it to be rather comedic, too. I adore it, especially since it's fairly dark and messes with my head. Several details of the ending surprised me, as well. Shitsurakuen is one series that a person should finish before passing judgement. Trust me.


The ending of this manga was terrible. I don't recommend it.


Meh. I don't see how the ending is terrible, but whatever.


The girls were treated like dogs by the despicable guys for 4/5 of the manga's run! From emotional and physical abuse to sexual harassment. Most of them doing it just for the hell of it, others believing females were below them and thus should be treated like such! And in the end the girls that were physically and emotional abused on a daily just freaking forgive their abusers without a second thought and even start dating them! After making you hate the guys so much how can you not find the idea of these girls just letting "bygones be bygones" and pairing up with these scum repulsive!? The ending was a blatant display of Stockholm Syndrome! Even the Japanese readers lashed out and the author had to write another chapter changing the ending slightly. Only slightly, because even in that ending the girls were paired with the guys. By the end of this manga all the Yuri elements were destroyed. Even the main character was paired up with a guy instead of the girl she was in love with for the entire manga.


I really see no point in getting so emotional over a manga, series (TV or novel), or movie. I have not read it yet, but there are many stories that I have found distasteful in a Manga or Anime release, but I do not call for the creator to change it. If it gives you emotion, then it should not be changed since that is a writer's main duty, which is to get people into the emotion of watching and/or reading something with personal reaction.


You're contradicting yourself. First you say you don't understand the reason to get so emotional over fiction then you go on to say a writer's main duty is to invoke emotion.

We are supposed to feel the emotions the writer is trying to portray in his work. That is the purpose or art. That has been the reason for admiring art for millenniums. Saying you don't understand a person getting emotional over art is like saying you don't understand the purpose of the art to begin with. That's an insult to the artist in it's own right.

If a piece of literature or art is distasteful, offensive and/or outright repulsive it should be changed. That's just common sense.


DonMoriarty wrote:I see a lot of underground manga/anime that have it where a guy often rapes the girl, unemotional toward her, or has never met until the end of the series. Then during the last chapter or two they wind up with their captors, or the guy who basically spat at her, or even the guy she never seen till then. I do not expect them to change the outcome just to suit my needs. It is just a story within the writer's imagination, so be civilized and let the artists work.


You're the exact opposite of the kinds of readers a good writer appreciate. A good writer appreciates an audience that thinks and critiques his work. A writer appreciates an audience that recognizes his talents, the way he thinks, the emotions he demonstrates. People with your mind sets are the type to swallow whatever crap is pushed your way. Critical thinking is one of the fundamental traits humans need to survive!


DonMoriarty wrote:The fact that even in a video game, it meant nothing to me for them to change the ending. It made no difference! Mass Effect 3, is the one I am talking about. If you feel accomplished at changing the artists' works just because you are unhappy, then I feel sorry for you.


You feel sorry for me? A person with no sense of critical thinking is pitying me? A person who can't identify good and bad story writing? That is the most hilariously insulting thing I've heard in quite some time. You seriously don't understand the purpose of a story do you?


DonMoriarty wrote:In Kekkaishi, I was so ticked off that they did not explore the powers of that one little girl even more, the one that could see ghosts. I was overly disappointed to where I had a major distaste for it at the end, but it does not mean I want them to change it. Do I care? Yes, but I understand it is their work, not ours.


"It's their work not ours"? I can't believe I'm reading this. An author writes a book for people to enjoy not to be repulsed by it! He isn't writing he book for himself you know! He's writing to satisfy a medium of audience! saying it's his work is a selfish, immature and quite ignorant outlook. If this were the case people would be allowed to write all manner of tripe without being critique for it.
25482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/20/13 , edited 6/20/13

CyanSwan wrote:


DonMoriarty wrote:


CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:


CyanSwan wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:

Shitsurakuen is the first and only yuri manga I've read, though it's a bit of an enigma when it comes the genre it fits under. It technically fits under the genres of: action, fantasy, harem, shoujoai, and shounen. I personally consider it to be rather comedic, too. I adore it, especially since it's fairly dark and messes with my head. Several details of the ending surprised me, as well. Shitsurakuen is one series that a person should finish before passing judgement. Trust me.


The ending of this manga was terrible. I don't recommend it.


Meh. I don't see how the ending is terrible, but whatever.


The girls were treated like dogs by the despicable guys for 4/5 of the manga's run! From emotional and physical abuse to sexual harassment. Most of them doing it just for the hell of it, others believing females were below them and thus should be treated like such! And in the end the girls that were physically and emotional abused on a daily just freaking forgive their abusers without a second thought and even start dating them! After making you hate the guys so much how can you not find the idea of these girls just letting "bygones be bygones" and pairing up with these scum repulsive!? The ending was a blatant display of Stockholm Syndrome! Even the Japanese readers lashed out and the author had to write another chapter changing the ending slightly. Only slightly, because even in that ending the girls were paired with the guys. By the end of this manga all the Yuri elements were destroyed. Even the main character was paired up with a guy instead of the girl she was in love with for the entire manga.


I really see no point in getting so emotional over a manga, series (TV or novel), or movie. I have not read it yet, but there are many stories that I have found distasteful in a Manga or Anime release, but I do not call for the creator to change it. If it gives you emotion, then it should not be changed since that is a writer's main duty, which is to get people into the emotion of watching and/or reading something with personal reaction.


You're contradicting yourself. First you say you don't understand the reason to get so emotional over fiction then you go on to say a writer's main duty is to invoke emotion.

We are supposed to feel the emotions the writer is trying to portray in his work. That is the purpose or art. That has been the reason for admiring art for millenniums. Saying you don't understand a person getting emotional over art is like saying you don't understand the purpose of the art to begin with. That's an insult to the artist in it's own right.

If a piece of literature or art is distasteful, offensive and/or outright repulsive it should be changed. That's just common sense.


DonMoriarty wrote:I see a lot of underground manga/anime that have it where a guy often rapes the girl, unemotional toward her, or has never met until the end of the series. Then during the last chapter or two they wind up with their captors, or the guy who basically spat at her, or even the guy she never seen till then. I do not expect them to change the outcome just to suit my needs. It is just a story within the writer's imagination, so be civilized and let the artists work.


You're the exact opposite of the kinds of readers a good writer appreciate. A good writer appreciates an audience that thinks and critiques his work. A writer appreciates an audience that recognizes his talents, the way he thinks, the emotions he demonstrates. People with your mind sets are the type to swallow whatever crap is pushed your way. Critical thinking is one of the fundamental traits humans need to survive!


DonMoriarty wrote:The fact that even in a video game, it meant nothing to me for them to change the ending. It made no difference! Mass Effect 3, is the one I am talking about. If you feel accomplished at changing the artists' works just because you are unhappy, then I feel sorry for you.


You feel sorry for me? A person with no sense of critical thinking is pitying me? A person who can't identify good and bad story writing? That is the most hilariously insulting thing I've heard in quite some time. You seriously don't understand the purpose of a story do you?


DonMoriarty wrote:In Kekkaishi, I was so ticked off that they did not explore the powers of that one little girl even more, the one that could see ghosts. I was overly disappointed to where I had a major distaste for it at the end, but it does not mean I want them to change it. Do I care? Yes, but I understand it is their work, not ours.


"It's their work not ours"? I can't believe I'm reading this. An author writes a book for people to enjoy not to be repulsed by it! He isn't writing he book for himself you know! He's writing to satisfy a medium of audience! saying it's his work is a selfish, immature and quite ignorant outlook. If this were the case people would be allowed to write all manner of tripe without being critique for it.


Ok then, so by your reason, let us say Passion of the Christ should have been banned or changed. If a work that has demons in it brings me to tears at how sinful the artists have been, I should call for an immediate change of the stories since Christians find it in bad taste. Dude, a critique and changing the person's artwork are two completely separate issues. At this point you are just talking down to me because I disagree with your logic that every piece of art needs to be changed because it shows rape that offends most mothers or a guy spitting on a girl.

So, if we criticize then we should make it law to change a person's work, just because the select few get offended. Does it change anything for you? Can you say it really makes a difference?

I say that you cannot get so emotional to send angry letters at the guy and punishing him for expressing his mind on paper. That is like me wanting them to change South Park to a show like Pokemon or Hamtaro where everyone laughs and there is absolutely nothing to get offended about. Contradiction? No, I was stating my point and you took everything out of the bounds of meaningful context.

They should change GTA to exclude hookers, pimps, and a poor neighborhood. They should not use curse words or gun violence because it offends me.

And note, I was not talking down to you, but merely expressing my opinion and not saying that you were the one to pity. I don't know why you were to cross my words like that, but somehow you got confused about what I was saying, Mr. Dictator.

Ok, and another thing. That last sentence just made it sound like it isn't his work. Yes, he does it to please a majority of the audience, but you have to realize he does not have to listen to the select few of the audience. I think because he writes it he should do what he wants to do with it. No business of mine to tell him what to do. If you find a distaste for it, force him to write something else. Or, if need be, send him commission.
Posted 6/20/13

They should change GTA to exclude hookers, pimps, and a poor neighborhood. They should not use curse words or gun violence because it offends me.


Hell naw
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.