First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime with Misused Potential?
9721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Florida, United S...
Offline
Posted 6/19/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

Psycho-Pass (nothing really specific except this fell short of what it could have been).


Personally, the reason I think it fell short of what it could have been, was because of the focus on Makishima and Kougami and everything else more or less took a backseat. I mean, the world was there, the characters were there (some more than others), and the concepts were there, but instead of exploring deeper in a dystopia controlled by the Sibyl System (and by extension, the true nature of human beings) - they chose the revenge route.

There is more to it surely, but I didn't want to think on it and write anything lengthy.


It also looked like it could have been better from the start. It attracted a fair crowd when it was first announced, including me. I honestly expected more.
23098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 6/19/13

ndalum75 wrote:

Oreshura to me was a complete waste of potential. Here you have this main character in a romcom setting who hates love, and is going out with this girl who also hates love, and the only reason she's going out with him is she got tired of being asked out. You also have the childhood friend who loves the main character. The idea is that over time the girlfriend and the main character actually learn to like love and are gradually turned from cynics to slightly more romantics.

But then they introduce the other characters of the harem, which consist of an insane girl who thinks she and the main character were married in a past fantasy life, and the most unsubtle tsundere in history(who everyone still can't figure out is in love with the main character). It then devolves into typical romcom shenanigans with them all trying on swimsuits, tsundere girl saying she and main character agreed to get married when they were 8 or so, and the main character jettisoning all trace of his cynicism about love with no development leading up to it.


Ai-chan was unnecessary baggage, but at least she was hilarious unnecessary baggage. She was the best part of the show for me.

I was really frustrated with Oreshura, too. Especially with all the cringe humor, it was so grating.
17111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 6/19/13 , edited 6/19/13
I enjoyed Fractale but I thought it could have been much better. I think they really missed an opportunity to explore the concept of "fractale" a little more.
16022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/19/13
Was going to post a reply but i disagree with everyones ideas now.... oh well shuffle is the one i felt wasted it potential granted i picked it up simply because it was working on my internet at the time and it turned out to be a soup opra with no actual interesting plot just people with powers who dont use those powers because it would be bad for the school...
39898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/19/13 , edited 6/19/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:

Personally, the reason I think it fell short of what it could have been, was because of the focus on Makishima and Kougami and everything else more or less took a backseat. I mean, the world was there, the characters were there (some more than others), and the concepts were there, but instead of exploring deeper in a dystopia controlled by the Sibyl System (and by extension, the true nature of human beings) - they chose the revenge route.

There is more to it surely, but I didn't want to think on it and write anything lengthy.

There are definitely many legitimate criticisms about the pacing, characterization, plot, themes, etc. for Psycho-Pass, but personally 95% of the problem was Akane's fucking face. Whoever hired Akira Amano should hate themselves.



"Akane! Your first assignment is to go home and arrange for plastic surgery! Your face is causing my hue to darken!"


Shrapnel893 wrote:

This also reminds me, but my Psycho Pass fan-fic is in a rut and I'm not sure how to continue it. That, and Psycho Pass has gotten me interested in Cyberpunk (as a reading material instead of watching; ie books). Yay, more stuff to read!

Cyberpunk is a genre I have a terrible time trying to read. I've picked up Neuromancer at least half a dozen times and never managed to finish the damn thing. Which is weird, because I should really love everything in that book.

I just don't, for some incomprehensible reason.
22951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/19/13
La storia della Arcana Famiglia - turn out to be just a average drama.

Kotoura-San - just a rom-com, and not a good one either.
19735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 6/19/13

Insomnist wrote:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the James Bond villain and evil supercult didn't age well).

Who's the James Bond villain? I do agree though the Earth church was a pretty stupid idea. They weren't enough to ruin or even severely detract from my enjoyment of the show, but they were definitely a problem. They're probably the stupidest and most unsubtle commentary on religion I've ever seen in a show.
39898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/19/13 , edited 6/19/13

ndalum75 wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the James Bond villain and evil supercult didn't age well).

Who's the James Bond villain? I do agree though the Earth church was a pretty stupid idea. They weren't enough to ruin or even severely detract from my enjoyment of the show, but they were definitely a problem. They're probably the stupidest and most unsubtle commentary on religion I've ever seen in a show.

Adrian Rubinsky.

And the Bond-Girl, Dominique Saint-Pierré.



The whole Fezzan situation just screamed 1980's Hollywood at me from beginning to end.
15717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Arizona
Online
Posted 6/19/13
For me it's always been Angel Beats and Air Gear.

Air Gear ended without finishing and I liked it for what it was, they should seriously reboot it like they did with Full Metal. That's my only grip with that one.

Angel Beats on the other hand needed to be 25 episodes not 13. Everything was rushed and we never got to know every character. If they would've done this series right with great timing and pacing it could have been great instead of just ok.
34282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 6/20/13
Hmm. I want to add Devil Survivor 2 to the pile. So many wonderful character and plot arcs the animators could have followed from the game, but they instead chose "none of the above" and did what feels like the most bare-bones adaptation possible, barely hitting the major notes from the original plot and flushing most of the characters. Deeply disappointing despite being very pretty and having a kickass ED.
17064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Rural Town, MN
Offline
Posted 6/20/13
For me it would have to be The Qwaser of Stigmata. I thought it was a really interesting concept. One person can control one element. That was pretty cool but what does the show more worried about? Boobs.
12364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Aincrad Floor 61
Offline
Posted 6/20/13 , edited 6/20/13
Guilty Crown and Accel World The main protagonists in both shows were extremely weak (except for a few isolated moments). I would of enjoyed them more if the male leads had more of a backbone. Also the art direction for the main protagonist in Accel World. If that was different, I would of likely enjoyed the show a lot more as well. Everyone in that show was drawn so beautifully EXCEPT for the main character. I know it's to show how alone he feels and all that angst and blah blah, but still. The female lead is amazing looking in it, just wish Haru would match.
83891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/20/13
EVA...

49531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 6/21/13
Gundam ZZ
14518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Coventry, UK
Offline
Posted 6/21/13 , edited 6/21/13
For me, Angel Beats! was amazing, but if only it had been the full 2 cours it had been originally planned for instead of the 1 we ending up with due to executive meddling, we could've learnt more about the backstory of all the main characters past Otonashi, Yuri etc., which would have made it even better

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.