First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Why is make-up viewed so negatively?
Posted 6/26/13

CarboKill wrote:

*girl sees another girl who looks better than them in make-up*

LIKE OMG, SOME GIRLS ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAKE




25695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Universe :0
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:

It just looks bad sometimes. But sometimes it looks really nice. Only children who are struggling to have a contrarian mindset say stupid things "hurrr i only lyk natrual womanz." No one actually believes that. Because if they were naturalness, they'd be opposed to clothes, and the computer they're sitting in front of, that too.


sosarx wrote:

I view it as a negative because the only reason, for the most part why women put on make up, is to feel more "beautiful". As an art form, I'm okay with make-up, but as a beauty enhancer, I disapproved. That a problematic system if you ask me. Women are beautiful as is, but because women are born into a world where their bodies are scrutinized every single second, it's not surprising as to why girls wear it. I personally hate woman with make up, or at least excessive/dark make up. I'm fine with the "natural look" type of make up, but anymore than the natural look, is just repulsive. It's sad when you think about it really, how woman are born into a world where they are indoctrinated into thinking they need to constantly improve their looks with man-made products when in reality, as long as one lives healthy, you'll look and feel great. But thanks to mainstream media and the entertainment industry, its inevitable that woman will feel the need to put on make-up to make them feel more beautiful. But hey, in this capitalistic world, making money off innocent girls is just "another day" in the business world. Who cares if we destroy and distort women's perception of themselves said the greedy bastards running thing.


Would you please stop this "woman are all always beautiful the way they are" nonsense? You know that's not true. Stop lying to yourself, and to everyone who reads you posts. Their are some ugly woman in the world who feel that make up would make them look prettier. You disapprove with a person attempting to make themselves look better? Really?





Because we have free will, you are welcome to speak as you please, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to speak for me.


"Would you please stop this "woman are all Always beautiful the way they are" nonsense? You know that's not true. Stop lying to yourself, and to everyone who reads you posts",

Although, true, there are woman out there who's complexions are under rated, doesn't mean they need to put on make-up. They feel the need to use make-up to achieve beauty because society says it will make you beautiful. Thats wrong. But disregarding that for a moment, don't say "stop lying to yourself." There are no means as of yet to be discovered, to enter another's mind;feel another's feelings. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that you indeed know for a fact that I'm lying to myself. Because in reality that is how I feel; these are my true feelings. Woman who wear make-up only do so because society says they should. They grew up indoctrinated to think so. That's a fact. We are all followers because its inevitable we are to assimilate growing up as it is seen as the norm.


And also, I'd prefer you to not speak for me in regards to

"You disapprove with a person attempting to make themselves look better? Really?."

Never did I say I disapprove of ones attempt to improve themselves. I disapprove of make-up because its a "lie", not the act of improving ones self. If one lives a healthy life style, they "will" "look" and "feel "better, resulting in the lack of urge to improves their looks to satisfy the need to be acknowledge. One only needs to acknowledge themselves . This in turn comes down to caring about what others think of you. This world is teaching woman to care about their looks and use make up. That's wrong! Society instead should be teaching all of us the beauty in substance, rather then ones complexion. But again it inevitable that things are the way they are because the systems in place are set to fail.

But again, you are free to have your own opinion. If you still find me as a liar, that's ok. I don't care. to be honest, I don't even know why I even bothered to comment back. I don't usually reply back to others feedback when it comes to topics such as these because I don't care much for others opinions. My reality is mine, as you have your own, so with that my friend I say goodbye.

I'd rather not argue over something that wouldn't change the worlds view on beauty. This is in fact a friendly forum for us to offer our opinions, not debate. So with that i say once more, good bye young sir. I hope your day ends swell.



9278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Onmarus
Offline
Posted 6/26/13 , edited 6/26/13
1. make up is for entertainers/actors/actresses used to portray an image they don't naturally possess in order to entertain and please...aka CLOWN

2. women wear make up because theyre insecure about how they look. news flash ladies men don't REALLY care how you look without make up as much as you think we do. You've just created a standard for yourselves over time so stop entertaining us guys and just be REAL.

3. make up is not an art form, do not dumb down a thing such as a true art form so that something like make up can fit in.

4. im not saying im a know it all but I believe this to be true based on history and my point of view as a man, one who does not wear make up. also common sensee pfff.
13651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
Is every woman really trying to impress people and trying to make themselves look more appealing with makeup?

I just wear it because I like it and I feel comfortable with it on. i don't wear it every day, but it's not that bad of a thing...

Yeesh. What the hell is wrong with you people.
3058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
i don't get why its so looked down upon, either. im not wearing makeup to impress anybody, im wearing it to make me feel better about myself. if i want to put on a little bit of makeup every day, i can. if someone wants to plaster themselves in so much makeup that they look like a clown, they can. it isn't anybody's business what you do to your body, and people shouldn't look down on others who do as they please.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

sosarx wrote:


DetectiveAlex wrote:

It just looks bad sometimes. But sometimes it looks really nice. Only children who are struggling to have a contrarian mindset say stupid things "hurrr i only lyk natrual womanz." No one actually believes that. Because if they were naturalness, they'd be opposed to clothes, and the computer they're sitting in front of, that too.


sosarx wrote:

I view it as a negative because the only reason, for the most part why women put on make up, is to feel more "beautiful". As an art form, I'm okay with make-up, but as a beauty enhancer, I disapproved. That a problematic system if you ask me. Women are beautiful as is, but because women are born into a world where their bodies are scrutinized every single second, it's not surprising as to why girls wear it. I personally hate woman with make up, or at least excessive/dark make up. I'm fine with the "natural look" type of make up, but anymore than the natural look, is just repulsive. It's sad when you think about it really, how woman are born into a world where they are indoctrinated into thinking they need to constantly improve their looks with man-made products when in reality, as long as one lives healthy, you'll look and feel great. But thanks to mainstream media and the entertainment industry, its inevitable that woman will feel the need to put on make-up to make them feel more beautiful. But hey, in this capitalistic world, making money off innocent girls is just "another day" in the business world. Who cares if we destroy and distort women's perception of themselves said the greedy bastards running thing.


Would you please stop this "woman are all always beautiful the way they are" nonsense? You know that's not true. Stop lying to yourself, and to everyone who reads you posts. Their are some ugly woman in the world who feel that make up would make them look prettier. You disapprove with a person attempting to make themselves look better? Really?





Because we have free will, you are welcome to speak as you please, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to speak for me.


"Would you please stop this "woman are all Always beautiful the way they are" nonsense? You know that's not true. Stop lying to yourself, and to everyone who reads you posts",

Although, true, there are woman out there who's complexions are under rated, doesn't mean they need to put on make-up. They feel the need to use make-up to achieve beauty because society says it will make you beautiful. Thats wrong. But disregarding that for a moment, don't say "stop lying to yourself." There are no means as of yet to be discovered, to enter another's mind;feel another's feelings. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that you indeed know for a fact that I'm lying to myself. Because in reality that is how I feel; these are my true feelings. Woman who wear make-up only do so because society says they should. They grew up indoctrinated to think so. That's a fact. We are all followers because its inevitable we are to assimilate growing up as it is seen as the norm.


And also, I'd prefer you to not speak for me in regards to

"You disapprove with a person attempting to make themselves look better? Really?."

Never did I say I disapprove of ones attempt to improve themselves. I disapprove of make-up because its a "lie", not the act of improving ones self. If one lives a healthy life style, they "will" "look" and "feel "better, resulting in the lack of urge to improves their looks to satisfy the need to be acknowledge. One only needs to acknowledge themselves . This in turn comes down to caring about what others think of you. This world is teaching woman to care about their looks and use make up. That's wrong! Society instead should be teaching all of us the beauty in substance, rather then ones complexion. But again it inevitable that things are the way they are because the systems in place are set to fail.

But again, you are free to have your own opinion. If you still find me as a liar, that's ok. I don't care. to be honest, I don't even know why I even bothered to comment back. I don't usually reply back to others feedback when it comes to topics such as these because I don't care much for others opinions. My reality is mine, as you have your own, so with that my friend I say goodbye.

I'd rather not argue over something that wouldn't change the worlds view on beauty. This is in fact a friendly forum for us to offer our opinions, not debate. So with that i say once more, good bye young sir. I hope your day ends swell.





But that isn't true. You said you disapprove of the use of make up for beauty purposes, and that it is okay for art. Woman use make up to make themselves look more beautiful.

Make up is not a "lie." If a woman is attempting to wear make up in some sort of covert fashion, and trying to hide the make up and use that appearance as real, then you're right. About those woman anyway. But I'd like to think that those weak people are a vast minority. I'd like to think that most woman wear make p for no other reason than to look better. It's no different than clothes. People wear clothes because they like the way they look. The same thing applies to make up.

Please stop projecting this twisted view; woman do not always wear make up because they're weak and want to impress men. Or they want to conform to societies standards. They wear it because they think it looks good on them. I'd like to think that's the only reason. And for comfort. I recall my mother saying her lipstick acted as a sort of moisturizer. That too.

Also, debates are not outlawed on this forum. And we can be friendly and still argue for opposing views. I don't think I was rude toward you, and you certainly weren't rude towards me.
4787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 6/26/13 , edited 6/26/13
I wear makeup for special occasions, and I sometimes have fun experimenting with eye shadow. I wear makeup for the same reason that people usually put on nicer clothes when they go to a fairly upscale restaurant, aside from the challenge and fun made available by working with it. I also say "screw you" to people who act as though it's only makeup that's a form of "faking, " as though shaving, hair dye, bathing, clothes, perfumes/colognes, wigs, hair transplants, and general grooming are much different. That's right; using hair dye to cover up grey hair, and trying to hide/reverse/prevent balding is also "faking." I do believe that makeup can be considered an art form, as well. If you were to watch the makeup processes used for movies and other entertainment purposes, like the Pirates of the Caribbean and The Walking Dead franchises, it should be made clear that makeup shouldn't be scoffed at.

Also, why are most of this thread's posts treating makeup as only a woman-related issue? Men wear makeup, too.
25695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Universe :0
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:


sosarx wrote:


DetectiveAlex wrote:

It just looks bad sometimes. But sometimes it looks really nice. Only children who are struggling to have a contrarian mindset say stupid things "hurrr i only lyk natrual womanz." No one actually believes that. Because if they were naturalness, they'd be opposed to clothes, and the computer they're sitting in front of, that too.


sosarx wrote:

I view it as a negative because the only reason, for the most part why women put on make up, is to feel more "beautiful". As an art form, I'm okay with make-up, but as a beauty enhancer, I disapproved. That a problematic system if you ask me. Women are beautiful as is, but because women are born into a world where their bodies are scrutinized every single second, it's not surprising as to why girls wear it. I personally hate woman with make up, or at least excessive/dark make up. I'm fine with the "natural look" type of make up, but anymore than the natural look, is just repulsive. It's sad when you think about it really, how woman are born into a world where they are indoctrinated into thinking they need to constantly improve their looks with man-made products when in reality, as long as one lives healthy, you'll look and feel great. But thanks to mainstream media and the entertainment industry, its inevitable that woman will feel the need to put on make-up to make them feel more beautiful. But hey, in this capitalistic world, making money off innocent girls is just "another day" in the business world. Who cares if we destroy and distort women's perception of themselves said the greedy bastards running thing.


Would you please stop this "woman are all always beautiful the way they are" nonsense? You know that's not true. Stop lying to yourself, and to everyone who reads you posts. Their are some ugly woman in the world who feel that make up would make them look prettier. You disapprove with a person attempting to make themselves look better? Really?




Because we have free will, you are welcome to speak as you please, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to speak for me.


"Would you please stop this "woman are all Always beautiful the way they are" nonsense? You know that's not true. Stop lying to yourself, and to everyone who reads you posts",

Although, true, there are woman out there who's complexions are under rated, doesn't mean they need to put on make-up. They feel the need to use make-up to achieve beauty because society says it will make you beautiful. Thats wrong. But disregarding that for a moment, don't say "stop lying to yourself." There are no means as of yet to be discovered, to enter another's mind;feel another's feelings. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that you indeed know for a fact that I'm lying to myself. Because in reality that is how I feel; these are my true feelings. Woman who wear make-up only do so because society says they should. They grew up indoctrinated to think so. That's a fact. We are all followers because its inevitable we are to assimilate growing up as it is seen as the norm.


And also, I'd prefer you to not speak for me in regards to

"You disapprove with a person attempting to make themselves look better? Really?."

Never did I say I disapprove of ones attempt to improve themselves. I disapprove of make-up because its a "lie", not the act of improving ones self. If one lives a healthy life style, they "will" "look" and "feel "better, resulting in the lack of urge to improves their looks to satisfy the need to be acknowledge. One only needs to acknowledge themselves . This in turn comes down to caring about what others think of you. This world is teaching woman to care about their looks and use make up. That's wrong! Society instead should be teaching all of us the beauty in substance, rather then ones complexion. But again it inevitable that things are the way they are because the systems in place are set to fail.

But again, you are free to have your own opinion. If you still find me as a liar, that's ok. I don't care. to be honest, I don't even know why I even bothered to comment back. I don't usually reply back to others feedback when it comes to topics such as these because I don't care much for others opinions. My reality is mine, as you have your own, so with that my friend I say goodbye.

I'd rather not argue over something that wouldn't change the worlds view on beauty. This is in fact a friendly forum for us to offer our opinions, not debate. So with that i say once more, good bye young sir. I hope your day ends swell.





But that isn't true. You said you disapprove of the use of make up for beauty purposes, and that it is okay for art. Woman use make up to make themselves look more beautiful.

Make up is not a "lie." If a woman is attempting to wear make up in some sort of covert fashion, and trying to hide the make up and use that appearance as real, then you're right. About those woman anyway. But I'd like to think that those weak people are a vast minority. I'd like to think that most woman wear make p for no other reason than to look better. It's no different than clothes. People wear clothes because they like the way they look. The same thing applies to make up.

Please stop projecting this twisted view; woman do not always wear make up because they're weak and want to impress men. Or they want to conform to societies standards. They wear it because they think it looks good on them. I'd like to think that's the only reason. And for comfort. I recall my mother saying her lipstick acted as a sort of moisturizer. That too.

Also, debates are not outlawed on this forum. And we can be friendly and still argue for opposing views. I don't think I was rude toward you, and you certainly weren't rude towards me.







Hearing others opinions is healthy. Now that we've laid out our opinions, lets see how many will comment in regards to our comments.
96 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

Reploid520 wrote:

1. make up is for entertainers/actors/actresses used to portray an image they don't naturally possess in order to entertain and please...aka CLOWN

2. women wear make up because theyre insecure about how they look. news flash ladies men don't REALLY care how you look without make up as much as you think we do. You've just created a standard for yourselves over time so stop entertaining us guys and just be REAL.

3. make up is not an art form, do not dumb down a thing such as a true art form so that something like make up can fit in.

4. im not saying im a know it all but I believe this to be true based on history and my point of view as a man, one who does not wear make up. also common sensee pfff.


As for your 3rd point, how would you define the word "art"?
73 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
because trashy people give it a bad name.Like when a girl gets a tattoo that says "one bad bitch" (I know some gutterslut who has that) or wear to much make up and dress slutty same goes for guys.Its just stereotypes, I have a ton of thats and I am not on welfare, I have a good job but as soon as I roll up my selves and people see my tattoos I get treated scumbag
3307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / You don't need to...
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
Just as long as you don't have an orange tan, too much eyeshadow, long ass nails (basically don't look and act like a Jersey Shore wannabe) I'm totally fine with it. But I am one of those rare girls at my age that I only wear coverup and chapstick... I only put on mascara and eyeshadow for formal and other important events. One of my other friends is allergic to mascara.
12513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
I think makeup is looked down upon, because some people think that if a girl is wearing makeup then she must not be happy with how her face naturally looks. That she's not confident in herself, so she tries to hide it with makeup. Guys love harping about natural beauty etc. Yet the girl they chase after have 3 layers of makeup on their face.
Posted 6/26/13

Dropplet wrote:

Why is it viewed so negatively? It shouldn't be. Because you wear make-up doesn't make you fake or superfical. It's the same for tattoos. Why do people get tattoos? As most people see it, our body is a blank canvas and you can create what you want with it. I mean you like wearing clothes that make you feel cool or pretty right? then what's the difference in wearing make-up? I wear it because I feel pretty (Also I wear it because I'm actress) and I feel good about myself/ I' happy with the way I look without it and I can live going out without it too. Wearing make up is like making your face art is as the same for wearing clothes and having tattoos.

-So what are you're thoughts?


I looked to see if it's a dupicate but couldn't find it. So if it is please lock it, thank you!~


Sounds to me like you wear make-up not to feel pretty yourself but for others to think that you're pretty. Otherwise, you really wouldn't care what they think about you wearing make-up, would you? If it's something you do for yourself, why is there a need to justify it?

Anyway, to answer the question posed by this thread:

The reason there is such a stigma with make-up is mostly due to social stereotyping. A lot of girls with undesirable attitudes just happen to love the stuff so now every time people see someone who's got a fair amount of it caked onto their face, they get that particular stereotype stuck in their heads. It just happens. There's really no helping it. Now as I've previously mentioned, if it is as you say and you wear make-up because you feel pretty with it and you want to use it as a form or self-expression, then it shouldn't really matter what other people think.

Look at this inspiring young woman, for example:


Now THAT is art.
In the documentary, she always started her day by painting her face.
Do you really think she cares what people think when they see her?
She does it because she loves to paint and she likes to use her own face as a canvas for her art.
THAT, in my opinion, is self-expression.
It's not about "Oh, I wonder what they think.."
It's about saying "This is me, take it or leave it, IDGAF! "
7098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Tulsa, Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
This is a thing?

I like makeup but I don't wear any because I don't know how to put any on. I am trying to learn since I cosplay and it would help.

The only time makeup looks bad is when people put on too much blush or colors that do not go well with their skin tone or face.
7753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 6/26/13 , edited 6/26/13
I dont have anything against it I dont think some people need make-up (person that created this thread) and I think that some people REALLY NEED to wear make-up (some of the people that get on the septa bus with me) :p

But like if your dressed like a "easy person" with "hooker-ish" makeup and guys keep trying to approach you for sex then you can't say anything. If I wear a mask and walk around a bank I can't complain about the security guards taking glances ;3
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.