First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
PSA : How to Spoilers
13466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / under fire
Offline
Posted 6/29/13 , edited 5/1/16
Resident verbose unit, Zipzo, here for another 'little' chat. One thing I wanted to talk to you about, my friends and fellow anime lovers, is spoilers.

Nobody likes spoilers. Ever. There is not a single person who respects the entertainment they watch that wants any one thing they have yet to see but want to see spoiled for them before they see/read/feel/comprehend it. What's more interesting to me is that for a forum where spoilers are so dangerous to the overall experience of said forum subject (Anime) and yet are so common there is zilch about it in the CR forum rules, which don't really give people the the latent idea that it's unacceptable to spoil something. This leaves all things to good will and hopeful common sense, which not everybody has nor brings to the table when posting. I'm going to list the type of spoilers that exist, and then educate you in better ways to post to avoid being "that guy" who ruins a show for somebody like you keep on doing without knowing, and how to use the spoiler box properly.

There are three types of spoilers...

1. Spoilers from having seen it before everyone else.
2. Spoilers from the Manga.
3. Spoilers from hints.

Spoiler Type #1

This is the simplest and most common type. You've seen the show already through other means, you want to talk about it, and you blurt out a bunch of details from the latest episode that isn't available yet on Crunchy Roll. This spoiler type is simple to avoid, just don't talk about it yet until it's available on Crunchy Roll. If it's an anime that isn't available on Crunchy Roll, then use the spoiler box and note that the information within said spoiler box is on whatever episode it is you're going to blab about so people know what's in the spoiler box, curiosity is the devil, and without knowing exactly what's in a spoiler box people may click it because they are curious unless you let them know exactly what's inside.

Spoiler Type #2

This is the next most common, but only lately because of our good friend Attack on Titan. Put a freaking lid on it you manga readers. We get it, you read the manga, it's awesome, and there's so much exciting stuff that those of us following the show have yet to see, but we would like to see it for ourselves without you telling us what we're constantly missing out on. It's just blatant idiocy to post open wide details of manga ahead of the show and I'm glad these posts are being reported and removed instantly when they have occurred.

Spoiler Type #3

This is a fairly common kind but it's an obscure type. These types of spoilers come in the form of "If you liked what happened in the last episode, you'll love this" type phrases. That's a broad example, but I'm talking about ones with more suggestive themes. Each episode of Attack on Titan ends with a major cliff-hanger. A major one. When you say "It totally sucks what happens in the next episode" you've narrowed down some of the possibilities for us. You may not have said anything specific but people are intelligent, they've been watching anime for a long time, and our brains are constantly reading information and putting it together in our minds to concoct solutions and make predictions. When you say something like this, you are effectively spoiling the next episode, albeit in an indirect way. In short? The next time you feel like saying "I'm not going to spoil anything, but the next episode really helps you find out a lot more about X"...just stop...realize that what you're about to say is a spoiler in and of itself, and don't say it at all.

Spoiler Boxes

I see people not using these correctly way too much. Way, way too much. Listen, spoiler boxes are super nifty. They allow you to spill your spoiler guts all over your post without having to worry about looking like a jerk. If you're going to use one though, you need to use it correctly.

First, you need to note what is in the spoiler box. If you simply post a spoiler box, and what's more, you have no quote to a related post, or even worse, you are quoting a post that has no context or note for their spoiler box, nobody is going to know exactly what they need to avoid, thus curiosity plays a part here.


Details on episode 12 inside...



That's it, people. A simple, small, to the point injection of what is within your spoiler box. People are within those threads to discuss an anime they love, and they may not be fully caught up, but there will be nothing but a discussion littered with un-labeled spoiler boxes. Label your spoiler boxes properly, so people know what they can and can't open, if it's not labeled and you are quoting somebody who used a spoiler box, make sure they labeled their spoiler box so the person has context to what your spoiler is. This isn't difficult stuff.

Secondly, if you are in an anime thread that you are reading the manga for, please declare that manga spoilers are within your spoiler box if those are the types of details you wish to deploy. Here's an example of terrible spoiler box usage...


SPOILERS INSIDE!



So...what do you notice about this? Well first, the person tried. They said they had spoilers incoming. The problem? They didn't say what kind of spoilers were inside, which means somebody who has seen the entire show is going to be inclined to look or won't worry about looking, and then once they open it up, boom, a whole itinerary of details from the manga. So while there's at least a modicum of effort...it's ultimately a failure because he doesn't note that manga spoilers reside within. This is an anime forum, so people expect anime chit chat.

I've stated this before...but if you really want to discuss the manga for an anime, there is a manga forum for you to do just that. Just because the anime forum is visited much more frequently and much more active doesn't give you an excuse to bleed your manga love over in to this forum. It only has the potential to hurt the viewing experience of those who do not read manga, or are currently not reading the manga for X show.

Anyways...that's all for today. Thanks for reading. Equip yourselves with those spoiler boxes and use them like champions. Make me proud.
3138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / mars
Offline
Posted 6/29/13 , edited 5/1/16
if a person is reading a post about attack on titan, and they are not caught up on the episodes. the simplest answer would be not to open spoiler boxes at all. people who purposely post spoilers without boxes are jerks maybe, but if we use a box and someone opens it and gets spoiled, that is kinda the point of the box. and isnt the blame of the poster. its like going to a store that sells snakes. one box says danger snake. and you open it, get bit by a cobra, you cant sue the store because it wasnt labeled danger cobra.
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 6/29/13
Personally i feel that on this forum, the only time you should use spoiler tag is if an anime has not aired on CR. If you have knowledge of an episode that has not aired yet(fansub or watching it in japan), or an anime serie that is not on CR you should add spoiler tag. Reason is simply because that's a fair place to set the line of spoiler and non spoilers, and if we had spoiler tag on everything that revealed something, discussion topics would have replies full of spoiler tags.

Maybe one more thing would be adding spoiler tags on replies to topics completely unrelated to the anime.
13466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / under fire
Offline
Posted 6/29/13 , edited 6/29/13

flashgreer wrote:

if a person is reading a post about attack on titan, and they are not caught up on the episodes. the simplest answer would be not to open spoiler boxes at all. people who purposely post spoilers without boxes are jerks maybe, but if we use a box and someone opens it and gets spoiled, that is kinda the point of the box. and isnt the blame of the poster. its like going to a store that sells snakes. one box says danger snake. and you open it, get bit by a cobra, you cant sue the store because it wasnt labeled danger cobra.


I think there's a hefty difference between the risk of opening a box and being attacked by a life threatening venomous snake, and opening a box to information on an anime you are watching. One of them is several times easier to approach than the other.

I'm not necessarily saying it's the posters fault per say, just that more care could be taken to be more considerate. If there was a box with a snake in it, I'd appreciate it if it was labeled "Cobra" before opening it. Wouldn't you? I'm pretty sure if the Cobra bit you and the owner of the box said "Well, I did say there was a snake in there", you'd be kinda pissed, right?


Kikusui10 wrote:

Personally i feel that on this forum, the only time you should use spoiler tag is if an anime has not aired on CR. If you have knowledge of an episode that has not aired yet(fansub or watching it in japan), or an anime serie that is not on CR you should add spoiler tag. Reason is simply because that's a fair place to set the line of spoiler and non spoilers, and if we had spoiler tag on everything that revealed something, discussion topics would have replies full of spoiler tags.

Maybe one more thing would be adding spoiler tags on replies to topics completely unrelated to the anime.


I agree that weeks or days after something as aired it's sort of in the mix and spoilers are going to be more and more neglected...I'm referring more to same day type situations, or at least within a few days since not everyone gets a chance to see it the day it comes out.

I don't think that justifies 10 minutes after you finish watching the simulcast going in to a thread and typing out a ton of un-spoiler boxed information simply because 'it was out on CR so it's fair game".
3138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / mars
Offline
Posted 6/29/13
for instance, lets say you are in a thread about attack on titan episode 13. the last post has an unlabeled spoiler box. common sense says inside the box is spoilers on at least episode 13.
13466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / under fire
Offline
Posted 6/29/13 , edited 6/29/13

flashgreer wrote:

for instance, lets say you are in a thread about attack on titan episode 13. the last post has an unlabeled spoiler box. common sense says inside the box is spoilers on at least episode 13.


Except this is a faulty dilemma because there is no such kind of thread on CR. There is only a general "Attack on Titan" thread, and the same thing applies to every other anime with its own thread, so this circumstance is a false pretense to your point.
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/29/13

flashgreer wrote:

for instance, lets say you are in a thread about attack on titan episode 13. the last post has an unlabeled spoiler box. common sense says inside the box is spoilers on at least episode 13.


Is there really any wisdom to be gained by arguing this point? Nobody's going to think you're an idiot if you mark your spoiler boxes, whether they're obvious or not. Somebody might think you're a jerk if you don't. And the best part is, marking your spoilers doesn't cost you anything.
CaelK 
21029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/29/13 , edited 5/1/16

zipzo wrote:
3. Spoilers from hints.


Dear frickin' god, this.

Yeah, a few years back, a guy I knew started talking about a series I hadn't finished yet. He thought he was all sly when he said, "I'm not going to say what happens, I'm just going to say..."

So now it's my turn. I'm not going to say what happened after he said that, I'm just going to say... well, actually I won't say anything more.

Now guess what happened when I finished the series. ... What? I didn't say anything about how it ended, or whether he was right or not. How could you possibly have come to any sort of conclusion?

Best way to not get spoiled is to cloister yourself from anything and everything that looks remotely related, in my opinion. And please don't say you don't want to spoil things if you're deliberately dropping hints. That's called hypocrisy.

... But I guess I'm done. Sorry for venting.
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 6/29/13 , edited 6/29/13

zipzo wrote:

I agree that weeks or days after something as aired it's sort of in the mix and spoilers are going to be more and more neglected...I'm referring more to same day type situations, or at least within a few days since not everyone gets a chance to see it the day it comes out.

I don't think that justifies 10 minutes after you finish watching the simulcast going in to a thread and typing out a ton of un-spoiler boxed information simply because 'it was out on CR so it's fair game".


Of course not. It goes without saying that not everyone watches the episode the moment it comes out. At the same time though, people should avoid discussion topics about that shows if they haven't seen the newest episode. Frankly i think that this topic of discussion is very delicate, and finding a good solution seems impossible. Both the viewer and the poster should try to avoid spoiling, but finding the delicate spot that would keep everyone satisfied sounds delusional.
27482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Area 11
Offline
Posted 6/29/13
I can agree that spoiler tags are a necessity on threads that are not made to go in depth on a certain, specific topic, but there are some threads where trying to avoid spoilers is pointless.

Example:

Lets say we were on a discussion thread for a specific series that is supposed to go in depth into the deeper meanings of the series . Lets say it is a highly controversial series, or a series with a plot that is hard to understand. Now lets say that the ending to said series is a total mindfuck. This is one of those series that has the holyshitwhatthefuckdidijustexperience kind of last episode. Lets say that knowing what happens in the ending is integral to understanding various other parts in said series. In order to have a decent conversation about the series you would have to mention information from the ending to prove/disprove points.

Now under normal circumstances if questions were asked about this series, a spoiler box would be a must, but in a thread that is appropriately titled as being a thread whose purpose is to deeply analyze the series, the spoiler box would get in the way of conversations, because there would need to be spoilers on every single post, and as quotes and spoiler boxes began to stack, reading the thread would become a chore. In this case, I think if someone enters the thread without having seen the series, it is the viewer's fault for having entered an area where spoilers would obviously be so prolific. Threads like that are supposed to be discussions between people who had already seen the show, not between possible viewers.


Actual Example: There is a Guilty Crown thread I have seen a few times floating around here on CR's forums whose purpose is to analyze just what it is about GC that makes people like it(or dislike it), and I think it would be ridiculous to get angry at them for having unmarked spoilers, especially because it says "Spoilers Ahead" on the thread's page. Even without the spoilers ahead, it should be obvious by the thread's intent that this would be a talk between people who had seen the show, and would most likely have spoilers somewhere inside, and therefore should not be read by people who had not seen the show, unless it was labled REVIEW, or something like that.



Although other than that, I can agree that spoilers suck and should be boxed whenever necessary in all other situations other than that one situation which I just described. I just wanted to throw in my two cents.
19794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 6/29/13
Haha, I'm not generally bothered by spoilers, but I do agree it'd be nice if people actually used the dang spoiler boxes properly. Also, I wish people would quit being so smug about knowing spoilers. "Oh man! This episodes gonna be so sad! Just you wait anime watchers!!" really does get annoying after a while.
I generally just avoid the internet completely if I wanna avoid spoilers, but maybe if people quit acting better for knowing them or cared to use a simple spoiler box I wouldn't have to.
13466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / under fire
Offline
Posted 6/30/13

Willwatch4food wrote:



You don't have to work too hard to make your point clear in this case, because I'm actually the author of the thread I assume you're referencing.

In its case specifically, I declare right off the bat it is a discussion about all of the details of the entire show, not a speculation or hype thread that requires spoiler boxes, so if the show has not yet been watched...steer clear.

So, yeah, I agree with you. Since I'm your example and all.
17899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/11/14 , edited 2/11/14
you mean like this
25377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / England
Offline
Posted 2/11/14 , edited 5/1/16
OP failed already i love spoilers it gets me hyped to see the "spoiler happen" especially when its something for like kuroko basketball and TV series like TWD

heck on a few 13ep animes i wikipedia them and read the summary of the episode did this for shows such as kokoro connect death note yogusa no sora couple more
14436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / アビス
Offline
Posted 2/11/14
Post is 10/10
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.