First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni Discussion
26853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 7/20/13
No spoilers but a lot of revelations and more intrigue.Im a fan.
50478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/20/13 , edited 7/20/13

beubanks7507 wrote:



Madoka is not an anime you can piece out. It has to be evaluated as a whole. That is because the story line is fractured by it's content and nature. I realize that that is a turn off for many people. However, if you can watch the whole thing and piece the entire plot line together, it is a great series. I find that to be it's biggest down fall. You have to watch at least halfway through the series before the larger plot and even the minor elements really become clear. On the other hand though, that makes the last half of the series a hammer blow.

I don't think it is over rated but, it isn't for everyone by any means. As far as organization, it isn't unorganized but dissonant by design. I will give you that it is a little dry for most of the series, hpulley.

When you consider it though, this series seems to be Madoka light. The plot line seems to be direct and it doesn't seem to be as dark. No doubt that it is in the same sub class but, I do not believe that this one will go as far. I could be wrong but, it doesn't seem to be setting that much up at this point. As of episode three I am also seeing comparisons with Vividred (the damn crows), Nanoha (sorta generally), the new Fate series (Cards again?) and, Madoka (discussed to death by now). The sum total is that I don't see this one being the mind fuck that Madoka was.

I agree that Madoka was a little dry in spots in the first half. You have to watch 4-6 episodes before it clicks unless you paid VERY careful attention to the first few minutes and it might be better paced as the two movies instead of 12 episodes but it might have lost some of its atmosphere and suspense that way, since I saw the series I don't know. The art, characters and deconstruction were well executed IMO and the revelations are amazing once they start. I still think it is a masterpiece even if there are some pensive stretches.

I don't expect this Daybreak Illusion will have an Urobochi ending and the art and characters are not as unique. Still good.

As the latest transforming magical girls anime of course you will see elements of Nanoha, Vividred and card anime too. Every thing pretty much has been done already so it is all about the execution now.
43574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/13
Okay, the cat and the crow are named Schrodinger and Laplace, respectively (Thanks to the user that mentioned that in the episode discussion.) It was also postulated that that indicated some form of predestination. I disagree. Both of these men were preeminent minds of their day devoted to the study of probabilities. Laplace ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Simon_Laplace ) developed many of our probability theories in Napoleonic France. These were later applied to quantum physics and formed the basis for much of Schrodinger's work. Also, modern calculus owes most of it's current form to Laplace. The issue of predestination comes into play when you consider 'Laplace's Demon':

We may regard the present state of the universe as the effect of its past and the cause of its future. An intellect which at a certain moment would know all forces that set nature in motion, and all positions of all items of which nature is composed, if this intellect were also vast enough to submit these data to analysis, it would embrace in a single formula the movements of the greatest bodies of the universe and those of the tiniest atom; for such an intellect nothing would be uncertain and the future just like the past would be present before its eyes. —Pierre Simon Laplace, A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities[41]

Basically, this says that IF a single intelligence could know and analyze the entirety of the universe, he could know it's past and future based on it's current state. And this is true in the Newtonian world that Laplace inhabited.

However, Heisenberg ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg ) proved that such knowledge is impossible in the quantum world and, by extension, disproved fore knowledge in general (although not in limited cases and conditions).

Schrodinger ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger ) used Heisenberg's work to show that all things are composed of multiple states or wave forms. Furthermore, he also showed that the act of observing something collapsed those states to the one that you observed. The act of observation alters the object being observed. This is the actual point of the famous 'cat experiment'.

Taken together, these naming references indicate that, while there may be a limited number of possible outcomes for the girls/situation but, the final end is far from certain. Predestination would indicate that the end is fixed no matter what they do.

Also, at the end of episode three, the crow and cat are discussing things and decide to watch her for a little while before submitting their report because she is interesting. This would indicate that there are questions on their end still to be answered. This indicates the outcome is less than certain and depends significantly on her (surprise there).
22544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/21/13
It's obviously going to get comparisons with Madoka, because Madoka was the first to create a twisted parody of the whole magical girl show and to do it as Frankenstein's monster instead.

I was a bit disappointed with episode 3.

19857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / England
Online
Posted 7/22/13
gargantia essay thread v2
79172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

maffayoo wrote:

gargantia essay thread v2


Smh.
48805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 7/22/13
So far this is shaping up to be interesting, at least. I like the twist that
I think this will be a way to change the outcome in the long run, perhaps. It is a bit predictable, but still good.
17575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

maffayoo wrote:

gargantia essay thread v2


But it's fun to have shows that are deep enough to allow for conflicting opinions.
19857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / England
Online
Posted 7/22/13

RoyalMoon wrote:


maffayoo wrote:

gargantia essay thread v2


But it's fun to have shows that are deep enough to allow for conflicting opinions.




Sometimes people write just a bit to much.
23920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Free World Jail
Online
Posted 7/27/13 , edited 7/27/13
Great episode as always...we get introduced to some new threats that have to do with the Daemonia.

Edit: Between this and Madoka, the huge difference is definitely the atmosphere that most Madoka fans drool over.
50478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/27/13
This episode felt even more like Madoka to me. Still not sure the twist is as good but I will have to watch it until the end anyway. Rewatchable not sure yet either, a very good ending MF could still make it so though I am not quite as sold on the artwork and character designs. Still an enjoyable watch however.
47759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 7/27/13 , edited 7/27/13
Episode 4:

Good episode, kind of feeling a little too similar to Madoka though.

Also, was that Hayami Saori as the painter girl?


hpulley wrote:

This episode felt even more like Madoka to me. Still not sure the twist is as good but I will have to watch it until the end anyway. Rewatchable not sure yet either, a very good ending MF could still make it so though I am not quite as sold on the artwork and character designs. Still an enjoyable watch however.


It felt almost exactly like when Sayaka

both also had an art theme in their dark battle, one was music, this was painting.
50478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/27/13 , edited 7/27/13

Rito2Ru wrote:

Episode 4:

Good episode, kind of feeling a little too similar to Madoka though.

Also, was that Hayami Saori as the painter girl?


hpulley wrote:

This episode felt even more like Madoka to me. Still not sure the twist is as good but I will have to watch it until the end anyway. Rewatchable not sure yet either, a very good ending MF could still make it so though I am not quite as sold on the artwork and character designs. Still an enjoyable watch however.


It felt almost exactly like when Sayaka

both also had an art theme in their dark battle, one was music, this was painting.


Agreed on Sayaka.

And you have good ears! Hayami Saori was indeed part of the cast! I love her as Yukinon in SNAFU, was just watching her in the Anime Contents Expo 2013 footage event on the SNAFU BD2 this morning!
141662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Online
Posted 7/27/13 , edited 7/27/13

hpulley wrote:

This episode felt even more like Madoka to me. Still not sure the twist is as good but I will have to watch it until the end anyway. Rewatchable not sure yet either, a very good ending MF could still make it so though I am not quite as sold on the artwork and character designs. Still an enjoyable watch however.


Pretty much my thought since I recently watched the Madoka movies. The part about Sayaka from PMMM is very clear with her corruption just like in this episode.
24881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Offline
Posted 7/28/13
I haven't seen Madoka so I cannot compare the two, but the tarot aspect to this anime is interesting. Guess I should marathon Madoka and see what everyone is talking about. I do like both the opening and closing themes.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.