First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply Manga that's been horribly adapted as an anime
32836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 7/22/13
Anyways, I think in general even if the original content has better plot and does thing better - anime usually has an all around better effect because of the voicing, music, and animation. Take K-on for example, it does so much better as an anime, esp because it is about music so you can actually hear it. Same with Chihayafuru - it has such beautiful animation, and the sound adds so much to it. i think background music is a big deal, it can add a lot of tension and suspense.
1213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In my Wonderland....
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
I say FMA because both Manga and Anime go in different direction that confused me but FMAB is better.

46283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 7/23/13

Rena-Ryuuguu wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


toxicblue wrote:

The main reason they deviate from manga is either because they make the anime when the manga has only gone so far, or the manga has gone farther but not far enough to make it a cohesive "beginning middle end" type segment.

After all, most of the time when something is adapted into an anime it's basically just advertising for the original medium, whether it was a visual novel, manga, light novel, or something else. There's obviously major exceptions, of course.


Also, the two mediums are different so a pure adaptation from manga to anime or vice versa usually looks odd in some places. Look at Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - it's a good example. I liked the first one adaptation better, personally.

Another example - look at Chrono Crusade. The ending for the anime was different from the manga, but it still worked nicely in and of itself. When an adaptation doesn't deviate from the source material in some way - then I'd be a little worried.


I can't believe I just read this...

How could you possibly like the first anime adaption better than the second??? It had one of the worst anime endings I have ever seen. Brotherhood was so epic for the whole anime. I have seen hundreds of anime and like virtually every genre (besides yaoi) and I would say Brotherhood is in my top 10 favorite while FMA 1 is quite low on my complete list. I could understand if you just didn't like it that much - people have different tastes and all, but how could you say the first adaption is better?


Because it's my opinion. Sometimes, a copy and paste of a story into another medium isn't what I want to see. That's why they are called adaptations, not copy & pastes. While Brotherhood is good, it's just like the manga, and I'd rather read the manga in that regard. With the 2003 series, it's something different that I can enjoy. Again, it's just my opinion.

If you want a detailed analysis/discussion - I'm sure you can find one already on the forums if you look hard enough, or, search using a search engine like Bing or Google. My top ten doesn't include Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood, by the way. If I had a top fifty, it would be somewhere in the 30-40 range. I could list my favorites, if you want me to...
Posted 7/23/13
Naruto Shippuden is just a horrible adaptation of a great manga. It's really sad since the pre shippuden anime was alright.
14010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
I'd say Oh!Great's works (Air Gear and Tenjo Tenge) got kinda short changed when the time came to adapt them into anime. Which is a shame, because both are stellar manga, if you ask me.

Some anime adaptations fare poorly because of internal conflicts within the studio, like budget cuts and bad directing. I think AG and TT were "mediocre" because they were made too early. Both were produced when their source manga were barely halfway through their respective stories, so a lot of really entertaining stuff was never animated simply because at the time of their productions, it had yet to have been written and drawn.

AG has gotten a few OVAs, and so has TT, but neither set really covers enough ground to redeem their television counterparts.
1339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
That would be Angelic Layer. I loved the manga but I hated the anime. First of all, the illustrators were inconsistent about Hikaru's size. In the manga she's nearly as small as a preschooler, but in the anime her size varies from being tiny to being just as tall as the other kids her age. Then, they didn't follow the plot of the manga very closely. Evidently in an effort to pad out the number of episodes, they added battles that did not appear in the books, and also so radically changed her relationships with her friends that the writers had to pair up Hikaru with somebody other than who she ended up with in the manga. Then they changed Hikaru's mother from being so painfully shy she could not interact with others, especially her daughter, to a physical cripple. I am very glad that I bought the DVDs used and did not pay full price for them. It's almost like the writers for the anime were working off an outline without ever having read the manga. Boy, did they botch this one bigtime!!!
23779 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Tokyo
Online
Posted 7/23/13
I really enjoy both anime and manga I feel that attempting to make a series out of its source material is great yet sometimes the productions budget is not adequate enough so they have to improvise even if it meant messing up a decent story. I feel that indeed we have all disliked the way a great manga is ruined when turned to an anime series but I would say that I enjoy anime no matter as to how it ends up.
8241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Chittenago, New York
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
i am not sure.
i like series from manga into anime and magi is getting a 2nd season
27502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/24/13
Rosario + Vampire, and Negima. They're both two of my all time favorite manga, but the anime for both of them are complete shit.
7093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / SoCal
Offline
Posted 7/24/13
Black Butler. The manga is so much darker, I liked the anime but they made it seem so kid-friendly, and the circus arc... don't get me started

Eyeshield 21 as well.. that animation makes me want to cry!
Posted 7/25/13
Black Butler!=_= season 2 was SHIT!
One Punch Mod
44558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/26/13

Yumi-chan99 wrote:

Black Butler!=_= season 2 was SHIT!

I definitely liked season 2 a lot less than season 1. It just seemed messy and tired somehow, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it was shit. owever, I saw only the anime and did not read any of the manga. Was the manga better, and it was just a crap adaptation?
Posted 7/26/13
Season 2 was just a crappy way to make more money even if season 1 made it pretty clear that the anime had ended!! And the Black Butler manga is soooo much better! You should totally read it!:D The manga has a darker tone to it that I think the anime doesn't. Any time something serious happend in the anime they threw in a joke that totally ruined the mood=_= But overall I liked season 1 but season 2 didn't make sense at all and the ending didn't give me closure as the ending in season 1 did.. sorry for my bad english btw!^_^" hehe...
2263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/13

fatpiecat2 wrote:

That would be Angelic Layer. I loved the manga but I hated the anime. First of all, the illustrators were inconsistent about Hikaru's size. In the manga she's nearly as small as a preschooler, but in the anime her size varies from being tiny to being just as tall as the other kids her age. Then, they didn't follow the plot of the manga very closely. Evidently in an effort to pad out the number of episodes, they added battles that did not appear in the books, and also so radically changed her relationships with her friends that the writers had to pair up Hikaru with somebody other than who she ended up with in the manga. Then they changed Hikaru's mother from being so painfully shy she could not interact with others, especially her daughter, to a physical cripple. I am very glad that I bought the DVDs used and did not pay full price for them. It's almost like the writers for the anime were working off an outline without ever having read the manga. Boy, did they botch this one bigtime!!!


Oh god are you serious about her mother? I saw the anime and the thing I hated most about it was her mother. She was such a self centered **** if you really think about it. Good bye my little 5 year old (I don't remember what her age in the flash back was but I think she was close to 5) I'm going to abandon you, dump you on your aunt, and pretend I'm to busy to see you because I don't want you to see me as a cripple....... because somehow making your own daughter think you'd rather work 24/7 than come home to see her for one god damn day is better than letting her know that her mother lost the ability to walk. Yeah that makes total sense doesn't it. This is a good example of how I feel about anime adaptations. I don't mind if they are different from the manga and I actually welcome it. However if you can't do it right then just follow the stupid manga. The best example I can think of is Mai-Hime and it's sequal. The manga and anime are completely different but both aren't bad so you can rightfully pick which one you like better. While series like R+V partially follow the manga but their "Original content" is really just senseless filler and the plot is shot to hell with a ridiculous ending to the second season. Negima is another good example at a bad attempt to "Be different".

So while an anime having a different story from the manga would be nice having an anime that follows the manga is better than one that screws everything up. Because an anime that follows the manga is still good especially for those that haven't actually read the manga but an anime that tries to be different only to screw it up isn't enjoyable to anyone.
38164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 7/26/13
Aku no Hana by far! While I appreciate the unique and ambitious way they rotoscoped it, it really is the worst adaptation I've seen. When you take a one-panel walking scene and turn it into a 6-7 minute walking scene...that's where I draw the line. Mix that with limited facial expressions (from the rotoscoping), the same camera angles and the same background art used in every scene and you have one of the worst adaptations I've seen in quite some time. It felt like a cheap-budget production from beginning to end. The pacing killed it for me. I know it's popular with the anime-only watchers, but the manga was much much better...plus they were supposed to be in middle school but the characters looked like high-schoolers easily (my personal problem).

Honorable mentions: Arata the Legend (read some of the manga, and that anime was nothing but a cheap project on the backburner) and Beelzebub (cheap animation and it didn't even get to the good part of the story).

Anime that weren't necessarily bad but had original endings I didn't like: Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.