First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply Manga that's been horribly adapted as an anime
manisa 
34162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
It has to be Berserk for me..... definitely ruined it for me...
32844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 2/16/14

lazerem wrote:



"Wow how could you possibly have an opinion that's different from mine? How dare you think for yourself!"

And here friends we have a prime example of why, even through I LOVE FMA to death, I can't stand most of the fandom. It's widely made up of people who are elitist about one version of the anime over the other, and HEAVEN FORBID you disagree with them.



Yes, thanks for pulling up a 7 month old post I don't even remember posting, and putting words in my mouth. I even said that I could understand if you didn't like it, even though I love it. I mean from an objective point of view, I think brotherhood is much better written and directed than fma, and the plots a lot deeper. The action sequences and fights were so epic in brotherhood like with Pride and Al. The guy I responded to later responded to me and said that he likes it better because it's different from the manga, and that if he wanted to see brotherhoods plot, he could just read the manga. I admit that that makes sense, but in an objective comparison between the two animes, i'd say that brotherhood is better because it follows the plot of the guy that wrote, planned out, and created the series, versus fma which some random person had to write an ending to a half completed series.

Posted 2/16/14
The manga itself has its own issues but the 12 episode series adapted for Kimi no Iru Machi was horrendous. Bad art and a really choppy story. I realize time skips were necessary but they were so poorly executed to where it almost felt like scenes were just randomly thrown together. The art was rough and so was some of the voice acting.

This is really unfortunate and made even worse because the original 2 episodes OVA's were really good. The art and acting were clean and the story was directed near perfect which should have set up a great anime series. Unfortunately the story kind of got out of hand after that and for some reason they changed how the anime was produced compared to the OVA.
18539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alderaan
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
I think people should not try to compare an anime to it's manga version, unless the anime itself is really bad. If the anime is one of those shows that makes the watcher want to read the manga to find out what happens next, then it is successful as an anime. If the anime is entertaining despite being different from the manga, then it is successful as an anime. The only time it is not successful as an anime is when it actually deters someone from wanting to know how the story continues.

Air Gear for example was a very small fraction of the manga, it was a little bit censored and less grotesque too. However, it was good enough to make me want to read the manga, and so I consider it a good anime. Unfortunately, the manga was hit or miss for me because it feels like Ogure Ito takes LSD while writing it some times.

I saw some people complaining about the Attack on Titan anime earlier because it changed some parts from the manga. I on the other had would praise the animation staff, they cleaned up Attack on Titan very nicely, the original manga is kind of hard to follow at times, the anime also added quite a few supplementary scenes that were not in the manga that help you understand the characters better.

Finally Fullmetal Alchemist. FMA was about 70% original content, FMA:Brotherhood was an exact animation of the manga. Honestly, both of them were great. I have never seen an original ending handled nearly as well as in FMA. This is an argument that comes down to taste. FMA:Brotherhood is more of a typical adventure-mystery type of story. FMA on the other hand had a lot of dark human-drama plot twists in it, it wasn't quite as shonen as the manga. It really comes down to , do you want a rather happy turn of events, or do you want a more serious dark turn of events.
34138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
A Town Where She Lives (I believe that's the title at least) The super drama manga definitely goes on for too long, and is still going I believe. But that's expected from that creator. The anime however, starts in the middle of the manga, while spending most of its time doing flashbacks of what had happened earlier in the manga. You lose all interest in the characters that actually played a huge role in the main protagonists choices and decisions. So yeah.. it really didn't make any sense and I feel bad for the author.
10348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
Hands down Gantz an epic manga turned into a crappy anime
9333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14
Off the top of my head (mind you I'm not just going manga here, some LN and VN too)
Rosario + Vampire, Negima, Chaos;Head, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Love Hina are some particular horrible.

F/SN and the Raildex adaptions aren't bad but don't do justice to the source material (although the sister's arc in Railgun S was done well, but that second half).

Tsukihime still remains the worst adaption though. I don't think any other fanbase has come together to completely and utterly deny the existence of something out of sheer love for the original source material. Most VN adaptions usually suck but this one took it to a whole other ball park.
11096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
Deadman wonderland. Its ok if you just watch the anime, but if you read the manga, the anime sucks in comparison. they left so much important stuff out.
cje225 
11186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
I think that Elfen Lied is an anime casualty in comparison to the manga. That being said i still love Elfen Lied and it is one of my favorite anime of all time...but it doesn't even hold a candle to the manga. On the flip side Hajime No Ippo probably has the best Manga-Anime content and adaptation that I have seen.
3136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
Elemental Gelade's manga was so good but the anime was horribly diasappointing
11556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14

xxJing wrote:
Finally Fullmetal Alchemist. FMA was about 70% original content, FMA:Brotherhood was an exact animation of the manga. Honestly, both of them were great. I have never seen an original ending handled nearly as well as in FMA. This is an argument that comes down to taste. FMA:Brotherhood is more of a typical adventure-mystery type of story. FMA on the other hand had a lot of dark human-drama plot twists in it, it wasn't quite as shonen as the manga. It really comes down to , do you want a rather happy turn of events, or do you want a more serious dark turn of events.


I pretty much agreed with everything you said till this part. The original FMA anime may have been a bit darker, but that does not make it better. I also do not see how the original anime's ending was handled well at all. It was both unfulfilling in its finale due to lack of closure, and the idea was so WTF stupid (at least to me) that it ruined everything that came before. And then Shambala came around and made everything even WORSE... DX (that movie was just... blargh...) Brotherhood and the manga was a bit more Shonen than the original anime, but the story told I thought was both better executed, and properly handled at the end that gave us an actual ending. Proper closure gives a whole new meaning to a series, and I honestly believe that is the reason most people like the series more than the older anime.

I agree with you on Attack on Titan 100%, however. I just started reading the manga, and I am just at the part where the anime ended. The anime did an even better job of portraying the story than the manga did. Even the added things the anime had added a lot more depth in both character moments AND emotional moments that I thought were just fantastically done.
15007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
fairy tail.
10202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/17/14

Orga777 wrote:


xxJing wrote:
Finally Fullmetal Alchemist. FMA was about 70% original content, FMA:Brotherhood was an exact animation of the manga. Honestly, both of them were great. I have never seen an original ending handled nearly as well as in FMA. This is an argument that comes down to taste. FMA:Brotherhood is more of a typical adventure-mystery type of story. FMA on the other hand had a lot of dark human-drama plot twists in it, it wasn't quite as shonen as the manga. It really comes down to , do you want a rather happy turn of events, or do you want a more serious dark turn of events.


I pretty much agreed with everything you said till this part. The original FMA anime may have been a bit darker, but that does not make it better. I also do not see how the original anime's ending was handled well at all. It was both unfulfilling in its finale due to lack of closure, and the idea was so WTF stupid (at least to me) that it ruined everything that came before. And then Shambala came around and made everything even WORSE... DX (that movie was just... blargh...) Brotherhood and the manga was a bit more Shonen than the original anime, but the story told I thought was both better executed, and properly handled at the end that gave us an actual ending. Proper closure gives a whole new meaning to a series, and I honestly believe that is the reason most people like the series more than the older anime.

I agree with you on Attack on Titan 100%, however. I just started reading the manga, and I am just at the part where the anime ended. The anime did an even better job of portraying the story than the manga did. Even the added things the anime had added a lot more depth in both character moments AND emotional moments that I thought were just fantastically done.



They are both good but I think 60-70% of the people will agree that Brotherhood was better. From hearing many many people opinion, a larger majority tend to agree that Brotherhood is better. But it honestly just come down to which ending you like better and that probably what sway people away from one from another.
21581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Anonymity
Online
Posted 2/17/14
Lol,

Wasn't this thread already a thing?

Well...whatever.

Anyway, the adaptation of the CLAMP manga 'Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle' was terrible.

I can't believe they could butcher something so good and turn it into the garbled mess that is the anime.
25765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / KS, USA
Online
Posted 2/17/14

xxJing wrote:

I think people should not try to compare an anime to it's manga version, unless the anime itself is really bad. If the anime is one of those shows that makes the watcher want to read the manga to find out what happens next, then it is successful as an anime. If the anime is entertaining despite being different from the manga, then it is successful as an anime. The only time it is not successful as an anime is when it actually deters someone from wanting to know how the story continues.


The only thing about this part that I want to comment on, what about those of use who read the source material long before there is an Anime? Yeah for quite a few shows/series that are already out, you end up watching the Anime before thinking about the Manga, especially in the West. But to say that we shouldn't compare an Anime to it's source material is a bit... silly. You do the same things when any book is turned into a movie, example: Harry Potter, Eragon, Game of Thrones, plenty more to go from but the point is there.

While most people in the West won't see an Anime's source material before it is turned into an Anime, then yeah your argument stands. But there are plenty of people who do read it before it is turned into an Anime. Like Nisekoi, I was reading that long before they announced an Anime for it. So by your argument I shouldn't compare it's Anime to it's Manga, even though that is what it is adapting.

Now I am not saying you are wrong. Because if you watch an Anime that is already done and it makes you want to read the Manga, that is good. But saying that despite being an Anime being different from its source material but still being good is alright... that is where I also differ from you, but only slightly in the sense, IF I read the source material BEFORE it was adapted. I will complain, I like my shows to be as close to the source material as possible. But if I haven't read the source material, then i'm fine with it, Magi is a good example there.

The last point of yours is another eh... point for me. I didn't think Rosario + Vampire was that great, hell the Anime was only about "PLOT" anyway. But I still wanted to know what was different about it cause everyone said the Manga was better. So I went for the Manga, and completely agree it is better.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.