First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply The cultural view of seeing a psychiatrist in your country?
3536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Des moines IA
Offline
Posted 7/1/13
In the United States seeing a psychiatrist doesn't have a social stigma stuck to it, like it does in other countries like Ireland or the UK. The normal cultural view in American society of someone going to a psychiatrist is they are getting better and people don't have negative views about a person that goes to one. But in Ireland or the UK if you see a psychiatrist people think that your sick person and your crazy.

I was wondering what is norm for what people in your country think about people that see a psychiatrist or a psychologist?
Posted 7/1/13
In the uk, it isn't treated as a normal matter of course. We typically use them when it's necessary. it isn't that you're crazy or that you're sick. But they are typically used when you have an issue, such as stress or trauma, that is affecting you.
it varies by age really, older people are a lot more unnerved/ unhappy about it. but for under 30s it isn't such an issue.
7223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / No Stalking
Offline
Posted 7/1/13
When I went to America, pretty much every rich person has a therapist. It's abnormal not to have one.
mipegg 
19396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/1/13
In the UK, for girls mental health problems and seeking treatment for them is seen as something that happens but for boys neither the infrastructure nor mentality is where it needs to be yet. The phrase 'just man up' doesnt help someone suffering with mental health problems but its what a huge portion of men who seek some form of help for it (or even just speak to various peers) get
35285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 7/1/13
My country praises them. Thus is a curse to me. I don't believe in them too much to say it simple. The ''peer effect'' is as great as a curse that rebinds and increases each time it's done.
Posted 7/1/13
I have no idea and I don't care. Mainstream psychiatry is bullshit anyway.
13494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 7/1/13
If you need to seek help then do so. There shouldn't be anyone having a negative view towards you because of it. It doesn't make you crazy, after all, most people see therapists to help with normal problems. I would rather them see a licensed therapist then get a prescription for depression from another kind of doctor.
43919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 7/1/13 , edited 7/1/13
I think it's viewed negatively here because when someone wants to appoint me to a psychiatrist, they always explain to me beforehand, "You're not going there because we think you're crazy, we're just helping you" or something along those lines.

Every time I hear this line, I get annoyed, I'm not one of those people who think that going to a psych means people think you're crazy... but whatever, they're just doing their job.



I've been to a psych twice in my life, one of it was when I was applying to be an Airforce Officer, they asked me stupid questions... like "Have you ever thought of suicide and what are some suicidal methods you thought about doing to yourself?"



I think one of the reason I failed that test was because I answered honestly, I said yes and listed the methods I thought about. But I'm never like depressed to the point where it will affect my work/studies.

8430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/5/13
Considering my medical insurance covers (hold on, let me look this up...) three free , one hour sessions for psychiatry care....

I think it's safe to say, America (or at least the company I work for) doesn't stick a stigma on seeing a head doctor. Hell, its obviously called for from time to time.
22131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 7/5/13
My country believes you have demons in your head, and the devil is haunting you. We don't even go to psychiatrists, but most people in general to witch doctors and witchcraft.
589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / London, UK
Offline
Posted 7/5/13

mipegg wrote:

In the UK, for girls mental health problems and seeking treatment for them is seen as something that happens but for boys neither the infrastructure nor mentality is where it needs to be yet. The phrase 'just man up' doesnt help someone suffering with mental health problems but its what a huge portion of men who seek some form of help for it (or even just speak to various peers) get


I understand that kind of attitude from peers (women get that too, just delivered in a different way), but do men really get that if they genuinely seek medical help? I'm skeptical, because my brother has been seeing psychiatric care for a couple of years now, and according to him he's never experienced anything other than good professionalism- and this is for a disorder of the sort that isn't really visible to others, and is often misunderstood, very much the sort of thing that would be easy for them to dismiss.
69642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/13
As if a shrink could help me.
9325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/5/13

crazysouthsider wrote:

In the United States seeing a psychiatrist doesn't have a social stigma stuck to it, like it does in other countries like Ireland or the UK. The normal cultural view in American society of someone going to a psychiatrist is they are getting better and people don't have negative views about a person that goes to one. But in Ireland or the UK if you see a psychiatrist people think that your sick person and your crazy.

I was wondering what is norm for what people in your country think about people that see a psychiatrist or a psychologist?


This is exacly why us Britis think all Americans are crazy. Just joking. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but psychiatrists are the same as therapist right? It seems to be really normal for Americans couples to go to therapy sessions together, but as you said the people in the UK normally wouldn't go see a professional unless they have a really big problem that can't be solved behind closed doors.

I know in metropolitans cities like Hong Kong and Macau, the only people who go to therapy are either really rich and don't have any friends to talk to so they pay therapists to talk to them, or they have actual mental disorders and really need the treatment.
mipegg 
19396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/5/13

sillyriri wrote:


mipegg wrote:

In the UK, for girls mental health problems and seeking treatment for them is seen as something that happens but for boys neither the infrastructure nor mentality is where it needs to be yet. The phrase 'just man up' doesnt help someone suffering with mental health problems but its what a huge portion of men who seek some form of help for it (or even just speak to various peers) get


I understand that kind of attitude from peers (women get that too, just delivered in a different way), but do men really get that if they genuinely seek medical help? I'm skeptical, because my brother has been seeing psychiatric care for a couple of years now, and according to him he's never experienced anything other than good professionalism- and this is for a disorder of the sort that isn't really visible to others, and is often misunderstood, very much the sort of thing that would be easy for them to dismiss.


Personal experience yes, it took around 2 years for anyone to say 'maybe there is actually something up we should look into here' rather than being told that its just something you should deal with etc. Most specifically among adolescent boys is it a problem, its becoming more accepted among 25+ slowly but for the teenagers where problems often start (and thus can be cured easily) its a huge issue right now. One that most people dont care about or think doesnt exist, because men dont have problems right
18322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Dublin, Ireland (...
Offline
Posted 7/5/13
Well, in my long time here in Ireland I've never had someone I personally KNOW go to a psychiatrist but I often hear about it and hear "crazy" attached to mentions of it. Recently the Health Service Executive has been putting a ton of it's budget into advertising about mental health issues like depression and that they are as important to your wellbeing as physical issues like lung disease.

I think that people are silly to assume that someone going to a psychiatrist is "crazy" or "insane" because they're getting help for a problem which THEY can't control and which WE don't fully understand. Can we even get answers to everything about mental health now? Most certainly not, we're still looking for answers (science woo).

If anything, those exact people going to the psychiatrist are quite strong for being able to go when they have that title attached to them in such a way, and I envy their bravery as such. Especially how I need that myself, I just can't get past my own cowardice...

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.