First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Hawthorne Police Department Kill Rottweiler Dog in front of owner.
30531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Ionia
Offline
Posted 7/2/13
I saw this fucking shit on reddit yesterday. I swear, cops are the fucking scum of the earth. and that guy should die for something like, piece of shit.
42580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

codman606 wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

OMG. That was a horrific video. Scarred me for life.


One thing I know for certain, it's not the dog's fault. It's both the cops and that dog owner's fault.

I just don't understand his action, why did he put the dog in the car, then went up to the police to get himself arrested... wtf...
The cops don't know how to tame a dog, what kind of amateur cop?


Well the cop only had a split second to act and he just pulled the trigger. I don't think we can say its the cops fault


Watch the video again, the cop had more than a split second. The dog was walking around sniffing the ground, the cops and it's owner. There was no aggression shown until he playfully leaped at the officer when the officer tried to push it away. My dog does the same thing when I push it. They think you want to rough house.
They were detaining the man in a calm and respectful manner, so the dog wasn't on guard, merely curious. The detainee was also very cooperative and was allowing the police to do their job. The poor training of the shooter is to blame here. He got all tense and over-reacted/panicked in a easily manageable situation.
11408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 7/2/13 , edited 7/2/13
LOL the cop should die? What the hell? He saw a large animal moving at him aggressively and reacted accordingly. Sadly the police officer unlike people watching the video doesn't have the power of hindsight. That dog could have easily seriously injured or killed the police officer under different circumstances, and the cop had to make a split second decision. But this is why we don't decide law based on emotions, or shouldn't anyways. Every time a cop was in any sort of shooting incident they would be burned at the stake for preconceived prejudices.

Could it have been handled better? Probably but he didn't have the luxury of loaded up a previous save to do so. He went for his gun first probably because he just got out of a hostage situation. Sad the dog died but I don't see any fault on the police officers part.

Also bullshit on the dog "playfully" jumping up on the police officer. The dog thought his owner was in danger and reacted accordingly. That dog wasn't trying to roughhouse.
42580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

Jikkle wrote:

The issue with subduing the dog is the cops aren't trained or even equipped for it and you never know what could happen in the process in subduing the dog.

What if the dog manages to bite at one of the officers necks and kills him in the process. Then people would be saying "they should've shot the dog"

Shooting the dog was the correct action and it was just an unfortunate because they were armed with guns due to the hostage standoff. It's not like they can tell the dog if he could wait before it tries to bite it's face off while they run to the car to grab a taser or bean bag gun.

If you blame anyone it's the owner. Because he should know if his dog has a tendency to be protective and he should've have requested that he allowed to properly restrain the dog before being arrested. Since what he was being arrested for was obviously minor and the fact the cops wouldn't want to deal with a dog attacking them they most likely would've allowed him to get the dog in the car and roll up the windows enough so the dog couldn't get out or tie the leash to something in the car.


So all dogs should be shot on sight when the police are responding to a situation?

1.) Cops are trained and equipped to handle dogs here in California, especially in LA county. These ones didn't have the equipment at the time, but you don't exactly leave your training at the station. You're trained to handle animals on the spot, regardless of equipment.

2.) The dog wasn't attacking them, it was relaxed and just curious. He became playful when the cop who did the shooting pushed him. He's a dog, they do that.

3.) Have you ever forgot something or overlooked a detail? Of course you have, and obviously, so has he. It's easy to forget a window is open when police are marching on your with hands on guns intent on arresting you. Also, they cops wouldn't have let him, but he could have handed the leash over to one of the cops. You're not supposed to allow a suspect to go and to reach into a car. They could have a gun for all you know, and in Hawthorne, it wouldn't be surprising.
41910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

Jikkle wrote:

The issue with subduing the dog is the cops aren't trained or even equipped for it and you never know what could happen in the process in subduing the dog.

What if the dog manages to bite at one of the officers necks and kills him in the process. Then people would be saying "they should've shot the dog"

Shooting the dog was the correct action and it was just an unfortunate because they were armed with guns due to the hostage standoff. It's not like they can tell the dog if he could wait before it tries to bite it's face off while they run to the car to grab a taser or bean bag gun.

If you blame anyone it's the owner. Because he should know if his dog has a tendency to be protective and he should've have requested that he allowed to properly restrain the dog before being arrested. Since what he was being arrested for was obviously minor and the fact the cops wouldn't want to deal with a dog attacking them they most likely would've allowed him to get the dog in the car and roll up the windows enough so the dog couldn't get out or tie the leash to something in the car.


Not trained? Cops are meant to be trained in a pressured environment and how to handle pressure...
And don't they work with police dogs?

That wasn't the best course of action to take because a dog is not a like a human; it's not unpredictable like a human, they could have easily tamed it, but they chose not to. Now if it's due to the high amount of pressure/stress, then clearly they weren't fit to be cops in the first place, because they're supposed to be trained to handle such high levels of pressure.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a PETA member.

But people who said the cops are right to shoot the dog act as if the dog is nothing, when in reality it is still a friend to somebody, and it's worth something to somebody... it's no different from a human...
16276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / IL
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

mhibicke wrote:

I would have shot the dog too. I hate getting bitten by dogs. It's scary and hurts like hell. However, the dog was okay until the owner was handcuffed, and the owner did nothing to merit arrest.

mipegg wrote:
This isnt tragic, its an animal no different to a cow which you would happily kill hundreds of to eat, tragic would be if he shot a small kid by accident etc.

And also ^this^. Cows are delicious, although generally it's better not to shoot them a bunch of times before you butcher them, as bloodshot meat is ruined.


....ah, that's where people start making assumptions. Now, the man in the video could clearly have been a vegan or raw foodist with strict personal beliefs. That dog could have been the only thing left for him--a precious memento of his late wife who died never able to become a mother but with the love her and her husband shared with their puppy.

This is ALL based on stereotyping. Black man with the big ass Rottweiler HAS to be a threat, no? At least they didn't curb-stomp the poor dog.

Good idea, let's let it go and make some more assumptions next time.


I believe that cops should be trained when it comes to animals. Have a damned air-horn on hand..........that dog didn't need to die.

I have an incredibly sweet but really dumb St. Bernard >1 year in the making. He looks intimidating but he loves the piss out of anyone and everything.....maybe except for cats but he tried to be friends it's the cat that caused problems.....but I'd be so upset if someone mistook his actions for malicious intent but the reality is that people just DONT understand animals 99% of the time but since they are such a huge part of life I think people really ought to take the time to understand animals before they "pull the trigger"......


12212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/2/13


Top kek
24725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:
But people who said the cops are right to shoot the dog act as if the dog is nothing, when in reality it is still a friend to somebody, and it's worth something to somebody... it's no different from a human...

Dogs and humans are totally different, which is why we have leash laws. Also, when crazed humans attack other humans and try to bite their faces off, they also get shot to death (evidence is the cannibalistic attacks of 2012 and 2011).
Every large breed dog owner knows that when their animal attacks a person, the animal will die, even if the attack is justifiable by natural guarding behaviors. The officer was not at fault for shooting the dog.
24725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

GoldenArtex wrote:
Now, the man in the video could clearly have been a vegan or raw foodist with strict personal beliefs. That dog could have been the only thing left for him--a precious memento of his late wife who died never able to become a mother but with the love her and her husband shared with their puppy.

This is sarcasm, right?
I don't care what your dietary habits are, if your "precious memento" attacks me I'm going to kill it. I'm not going to lose a hand, my face, or my life just because putting down an attacking dog will stir up the crybabies. It sounds like you've never been attacked and bitten by a strange dog before, so I'll inform you - they don't want to get their feelings validated; they want to bite your face off. No matter how adorable your puppy is to you, when it's attacking a stranger it's Cujo with the T-virus.
13667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

mipegg wrote:

No fault on the police officer, dangerous dog comes running at you he did he job. This isnt tragic, its an animal no different to a cow which you would happily kill hundreds of to eat, tragic would be if he shot a small kid by accident etc. Saying its natural for the dog to attack someone which makes it ok is dumb, dangerous dog is dangerous and gets what was coming to it. Its childish and naive to think and different


There's a difference between cows and dogs - Cows don't really care about anything. It's as if they were made to be turned into steak. Dogs, on the other hand, are friendly, and do care about certain things. I'm not trying to be an animal rights activist here, but I'm just saying. Dogs will attack when their owners are being handled, they assume their owners are being attacked. They are very loyal, unlike a dumb cow.
13667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/13
I wasn't there listening to the conversation, but it seems like he was arrested for filming and being too close to the scene. They can do that. But keep in mind, dogs will attack and assume their owners are being attacked if they are handled. I don't think anybody was truly at fault here. The cop was being attacked by a rottweiler, loyal, and cute dogs, but can be extremely defensive, and intimidating. He acted upon defense, as well. The owner, being the dipshit he was, it seems like he was asked to leave once. The cop's voice wasn't distinguishable, but the gestures made seemed like he was asked to leave. The owner should have kept his dog in the car, with the windows rolled up, or slightly rolled up. This whole thing didn't have to happen.
mipegg 
18388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Online
Posted 7/2/13 , edited 7/2/13

mhibicke wrote:

I would have shot the dog too. I hate getting bitten by dogs. It's scary and hurts like hell. However, the dog was okay until the owner was handcuffed, and the owner did nothing to merit arrest.

mipegg wrote:
This isnt tragic, its an animal no different to a cow which you would happily kill hundreds of to eat, tragic would be if he shot a small kid by accident etc.

And also ^this^. Cows are delicious, although generally it's better not to shoot them a bunch of times before you butcher them, as bloodshot meat is ruined.


Would seem scientists, with a logical sensible mind, are seen as callous by most people. Who knew?

And it depends where you shoot them right, generally I dont eat cows head, pig yes, cow no.


Hachikobubble wrote:


mipegg wrote:

No fault on the police officer, dangerous dog comes running at you he did he job. This isnt tragic, its an animal no different to a cow which you would happily kill hundreds of to eat, tragic would be if he shot a small kid by accident etc. Saying its natural for the dog to attack someone which makes it ok is dumb, dangerous dog is dangerous and gets what was coming to it. Its childish and naive to think and different


There's a difference between cows and dogs - Cows don't really care about anything. It's as if they were made to be turned into steak. Dogs, on the other hand, are friendly, and do care about certain things. I'm not trying to be an animal rights activist here, but I'm just saying. Dogs will attack when their owners are being handled, they assume their owners are being attacked. They are very loyal, unlike a dumb cow.




Fish are loyal too, they stick together in family schools and work for the betterment of a group. So you cant kill a shark if it attacks you?
Ants are loyal and intelligent, if you accidentally walk into a fireant nest should you do nothing when they legitimately try to defend themselves?

These are clearly dumb points brought about by emotion rather than reason. It doesnt matter what animal it is or what it is to someone Ill kill it if it goes for me, in theory I would say the same for a human but I've never killed a human or even had to come close so I cant say if I'd actually be able to do that, but its a substantially different issue....
16276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / IL
Offline
Posted 7/2/13
I know dogs pretty well. That dog wasn't seriously attacking and when a dog does seriously have the incentive to attack try blowing an air horn. The dog only really struggled out when they started getting all up in his owners shit......I don't think they were handling the man nicely either. Poor guy trying to come to the rescue as far as he knew.... : /

There are ways to go about approaching a dog without getting that response.

And I have been attacked by a dog and stopped fights between dogs/people, cats, roosters and other animals.

like......I understand wanting to avoid pain but it hadn't escalated to that point yet.
41910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/2/13

mhibicke wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:
But people who said the cops are right to shoot the dog act as if the dog is nothing, when in reality it is still a friend to somebody, and it's worth something to somebody... it's no different from a human...

Dogs and humans are totally different, which is why we have leash laws. Also, when crazed humans attack other humans and try to bite their faces off, they also get shot to death (evidence is the cannibalistic attacks of 2012 and 2011).
Every large breed dog owner knows that when their animal attacks a person, the animal will die, even if the attack is justifiable by natural guarding behaviors. The officer was not at fault for shooting the dog.


I know that dogs and humans have different rights (that's why crazy organisations like PETA exist), but that's not my point.


My point was if it was a human that officer shot, people will be more likely to question his action. If it was a human, he would have taken a lot of prior action before shooting down the potential threat, for example, giving a verbal warning up to 3 times, before shooting the potential human threat in the leg. But because it was a dog, that officer just shot it down, not once, but three or four times without trying to do anything else.
Because in his mind, an animal is probably nothing to him, but I don't see it that way. Why couldn't he treat it like a human? That dog might not be human, but it's worth something to somebody, that was my point, that dog was no different in that aspect.



And I wouldn't care if a person was shot down, if the officer gave sufficient warning and no compliance was met.
9752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Northwest Florida
Online
Posted 7/2/13
this is not an isolated event thing like this happen all the time, in Crestview ,Fl. police shot a pitbull that reportedly charged them.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.