First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime = Yaoi - When does it stop?
35179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

OpticMistic wrote:

I've seen them in a few comedies, but not really in anything serious. Like .. I recently watched SNAFU and there was a Yaoi fangirl in it, but in more serious shows i'm watching, like AoT .. there isn't any presence of it whatsoever. I guess it's just being implemented more now because it's something the fan base can relate to, while at the same time, bring some comedy to people who aren't used to it. I don't think there's an overuse of it, but yes it is being seen more often.

*tried to make this as non biased as possible since I'm a yaoi fangirl myself

There are non-heterosexual characters in AOT; although the only ones identified so far are female.


mhibicke wrote:

SNAFU made a lot of BL fangirl jokes, but AoT is more serious and has a different target demographic. Despite the distinctly unromantic plot, the story still has gays. Although the anime hasn't gotten to the point where it's important yet, the manga makes it very clear that

Should probably spoiler tag that bit.
24725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

Insomnist wrote:
Should probably spoiler tag that bit.

Nah, it was introduced during training camp. It was just easy to miss.
35179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

mhibicke wrote:


Insomnist wrote:
Should probably spoiler tag that bit.

Nah, it was introduced during training camp. It was just easy to miss.

I mean since we're in a thread that's not about AOT and it's a currently airing show. It's not really a major spoiler, but there are people who wait until a series is over before watching any of it. And it was also very ambiguous until recently.

We still don't know if it goes both ways, or if it's even a romantic kind of infatuation (although it presumably is).

Anyway. Just my two cents.
Posted 7/9/13

Insomnist wrote:


OpticMistic wrote:

I've seen them in a few comedies, but not really in anything serious. Like .. I recently watched SNAFU and there was a Yaoi fangirl in it, but in more serious shows i'm watching, like AoT .. there isn't any presence of it whatsoever. I guess it's just being implemented more now because it's something the fan base can relate to, while at the same time, bring some comedy to people who aren't used to it. I don't think there's an overuse of it, but yes it is being seen more often.

*tried to make this as non biased as possible since I'm a yaoi fangirl myself

There are non-heterosexual characters in AOT; although the only ones identified so far are female.


mhibicke wrote:

SNAFU made a lot of BL fangirl jokes, but AoT is more serious and has a different target demographic. Despite the distinctly unromantic plot, the story still has gays. Although the anime hasn't gotten to the point where it's important yet, the manga makes it very clear that

Should probably spoiler tag that bit.


There's also a possibility at one of the males being homosexual.
It's weird though.


I hope it turns out that way, canon just normal homosexual characters would be really neat.
35179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

Interesting. I didn't remember that, but I was honestly wondering anyway.

And like someone earlier said, it's easy to just assume someone with an unstated preference is heterosexual; there are plenty of characters in AOT of unstated sexuality who we might hear more about in coming episodes/chapters.

Following this thread has also increased my interest in Genshiken because of a new character they just introduced.
24725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

FameMonster wrote:
There's also a possibility at one of the males being homosexual.
It's weird though.

I hope it turns out that way, canon just normal homosexual characters would be really neat.

I forgot about that one. I guess it shows what I'm interested in. That was definitely left out of the anime though.

But back the OP topic - yeah, there's lots of hinting shonenai in anime lately, or at least enough for the fujoshi to give themselves anemia while drawing pervy doujinshi. I suspect that Free was created for the sole purpose of selling yaoi dj by the boatload.
13296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / houston
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

AsahinaInu wrote:


moestheman wrote:


i see your point. but skin color is imediatly aparent. sexuality isnt. so after watching a character for so long, his sexuality is kind of "understood", by his body laguage and personsality and and so on.
Eh not necessarily. I think characters "acting gay" is a huge misrepresentation of gay people to begin with. I think its one thing to be upset with a heavily implied straight character(such as someone who flirts with girls all the time or gets bashful in their presence) suddenly going gay, but there's a lot of characters out there who could almost be examples of asexuality in their presentation given we are given so little to work with. I mean Luffy could literally be any sexual orientation including a sexual attraction to meat, and it wouldn't surprise me. Assuming people are straight only has much weight if there is some sort of clues that lead to that assumption, and them not outing themselves as gay right off the bat is not a clue that they are straight, any more than it is in real life.

As for skin color, what if the character was only ever heard across the phone, or wore a mask throughout the entire show? The fact that it isn't immediately apparent shouldn't be cause for assumption.




that actually happened in halo. different people say masterchief is a different race. with luffy/ichigo and others, who are the MC of major shows, i dont know how id feel if they turned out to be different than i imagined. this is why i believe if a character is gay, they should be established that way early on, to let the viewers make their own decision. if sexual orientation doesnt effect the story, they should just leave it out all together.



mhibicke wrote:


FameMonster wrote:
There's also a possibility at one of the males being homosexual.
It's weird though.

I hope it turns out that way, canon just normal homosexual characters would be really neat.

I forgot about that one. I guess it shows what I'm interested in. That was definitely left out of the anime though.

But back the OP topic - yeah, there's lots of hinting shonenai in anime lately, or at least enough for the fujoshi to give themselves anemia while drawing pervy doujinshi. I suspect that Free was created for the sole purpose of selling yaoi dj by the boatload.


LOL! this. im happy this thread has gotten alot less hostile.
279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Long Beach
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Go watch Free!
24725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

moestheman wrote:
LOL! this. im happy this thread has gotten alot less hostile.

Even inaccurate and condescending portrayals in entertainment media give us a presence, and ultimately it has been the presence of out and proud homos that has led to the rapid cultural shift here in the US and subsequent increases in civil rights for me and mine. Here in the US, in just one generation we've gone from being portrayed prancing clowns and angry junkyard dogs to (mostly) regular people. If anime producers capitalize on the unrealistic fantasies of yaoi fangirls, it just increases the presence of gays in entertainment media and results in mainstream awareness of gays. Awareness turns into boredom, and then suddenly we are regular people with families and jobs and energy bills.

Sure, I find a lot of the inaccurate and condescending portrayals of LGBT distasteful and offensive, but I prefer it to everyone pretending we don't exist.
663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 7/10/13 , edited 7/10/13

AsahinaInu wrote:


moestheman wrote:


i see your point. but skin color is imediatly aparent. sexuality isnt. so after watching a character for so long, his sexuality is kind of "understood", by his body laguage and personsality and and so on.
Eh not necessarily. I think characters "acting gay" is a huge misrepresentation of gay people to begin with. I think its one thing to be upset with a heavily implied straight character(such as someone who flirts with girls all the time or gets bashful in their presence) suddenly going gay, but there's a lot of characters out there who could almost be examples of asexuality in their presentation given we are given so little to work with. I mean Luffy could literally be any sexual orientation including a sexual attraction to meat, and it wouldn't surprise me. Assuming people are straight only has much weight if there is some sort of clues that lead to that assumption, and them not outing themselves as gay right off the bat is not a clue that they are straight, any more than it is in real life.

As for skin color, what if the character was only ever heard across the phone, or wore a mask throughout the entire show? The fact that it isn't immediately apparent shouldn't be cause for assumption.



I don't think there's much we can do left to change his mind. Apparently being gay means having specific personality traits / behaviors exclusive to homosexuals and that without making every homosexual have similar easily noticed traits, they shouldn't even exist. There doesn't have to be a deep meaning for a homosexual person to exist any more than a heterosexual person because in this world, diversity exists and authors who recognize that are simply a bit more appreciated than otherwise, even if they don't do a great justice for all sides. I would love for more stories about minorities who are given a major role, perhaps even the mc, but that isn't going to happen by slowly cutting off all presence of minorities in shows. Distasteful presences as they are, they still give awareness to that group and possibly gives people the chance to think about how wrong stereotypical presentations can be.


moestheman wrote: that actually happened in halo. different people say masterchief is a different race. with luffy/ichigo and others, who are the MC of major shows, i dont know how id feel if they turned out to be different than i imagined. this is why i believe if a character is gay, they should be established that way early on, to let the viewers make their own decision. if sexual orientation doesnt effect the story, they should just leave it out all together.


What do you mean early on to let the viewers make their decision? Are you implying that we should tell the audience hey this character's homosexual so you can decide now whether to irrationally hate him/her for their orientation before you accidentally find out the character you like was something different from you all along. Their orientation might not have a significant impact on their story, but it does add to who they are so trying to erase that by leaving it out is simply ignorant. Imagine if Ichigo was still the same character he was but he fell in love with another dude or something but everything else progressed exactly the same. Would you say that this is unnecessary because his apparent attraction to men (exclusively or not) doesn't give him a new power up where he shoot rainbows out of his sword or something? In this case, I think authors give minorities recognition and a chance to see themselves in their idols.
Ceary 
24721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
YAOI and BOY LOVE are used way too much to define what looks like male x male affection. I am a yaoi fan, not fangirl because I like the genre Bara as well... What you are really seeing in the shows is fanservice and even male Japanese rock singers Gackt and Hyde did a fanservice part for their concert a year or two ago. It is not overly used to be honest... The following are all the same in terms of overuse:

The boy falling in love with a girl/girl falling in love with a boy too quickly
Girl not wanting to be touched by her boyfriend/crush/childhood friend
Blushing
Boys being obsessed with panties
Big melons (You should know this one)
Perverts/hentai/ecchi
Cat-girls/Neko references
Girls dressing boys in girl clothing
Lolita

AND MORE!

I think it's mostly in my head when I think something is a reference to yaoi... Guys coming too close to each others faces is an example.
Just ignore it if it bothers you or voice your opinion... we all have those choices.
495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
114 / F / Candy Land
Offline
Posted 7/14/13


eegah87 wrote:
They weren't blatant in Kids on the Slope but they weren't exactly what I would call subtle either. While I do agree with you that most shows are wrongly label because of wishful thinking on the parts of yaoi fans; I have to say that the animators in Kids on the Slop practically bent over backwards to cater to the yaoi fans without ever crossing the line and alienating the rest of the anime fandom. I'm not saying that the characters where secretly gay and in love with each other or anything like that they where clearly supposed to have a more sibling like relationship. But the subtle ways that they animated the body language, the looks between them, the jealous outbursts, etc. where all used to imply that maybe, just maybe there was something more going on between them. The undertones where so strong in that show that I found it distracting to the point where I wished they would just make the characters gay so we could move on with the story. To be honest I'm a bit flabbergasted that you missed it, but than again maybe it's best to be oblivious to it so you can enjoy shows as they should be.


Meh...I suppose this sort of thing is in the eye of the beholder 'cause I've never found any yaoi or BL slant to that show at all. Actually, I'm not really picking up much of that from Free! either, and I thought I'd surely recognize it in that anime given all of the complaints and squeeing I'd seen about it. Sure, it wouldn't be out of place if it did eventually develop some B/B vibes, but as it stands right now I don't really see any romances, BL or otherwise working their way into the story at all. Maybe I just don't interpret a lot of the body language and what not the way it could be interpreted, but I'm not convinced that my interpretation is wrong.
46189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
Boku no Pico
Ceary 
24721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:

Boku no Pico


Ergh. NOW that's something completely different... I know yaoi and well... this isn't something like that
Posted 9/17/13
Yaoi all day, everyday.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.