First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime = Yaoi - When does it stop?
33866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 9/20/13

Seabound117 wrote:
and in the west yuri is heralded in the media as of late whereas yaoi is still looked down upon with suspicion and revulsion.


*ponders*

In the media? Considering our entire subculture tends to be banished to the netherrealms of pop culture at any given instant, who in the world is talking about anime / manga fandom in any way (who is not already a part of it)?
13631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13

rcsatcrunchyroll
*ponders*

In the media? Considering our entire subculture tends to be banished to the netherrealms of pop culture at any given instant, who in the world is talking about anime / manga fandom in any way (who is not already a part of it)?


When I said yuri I was just using it as a terminology replacement for the term lesbianism. So I was not attempting to make the claim of a disparity of acceptance of yuri vs yaoi in western anime fandom, I was implying a difference in willingness of western main stream society to accept lesbianism vs male-male homosexuality. Now regionally speaking I know this is not true in all parts of western society but at least in the area I currently live lesbianism is regarded with a level of concerned indifference while male-male homosexuality is treated with much more suspicion.

My only point was to state that the variance in societal outlook between the two "types" of homosexuality may be bleeding over into the western anime fans outlook when it comes to yuri vs yaoi. Now I realize this whole debate stems from the OP's claim of a sudden swell of yaoi themes in anime which is an inaccurate summation of the current release schedule and the OP also fails to properly define what he means by yaoi content to begin with since while not 100% sure by any means, I was unaware of any male-male romcoms or love stories on the main release schedule.
3201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
Don't you think many girls and others get tired of all the fanservice for and by straight men, too?
120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Far away from Japan
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
Oh, it will never stop.
21139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 9/20/13

justapersonwatchinganime wrote:

Don't you think many girls and others get tired of all the fanservice for and by straight men, too?



Pretty sure they do.
3436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
Who cares? Yaoi is awesome.
3201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13

qualeshia3 wrote:


justapersonwatchinganime wrote:

Don't you think many girls and others get tired of all the fanservice for and by straight men, too?



Pretty sure they do.

Yup. So men complaining about yaoi but not all the fanservice made for the men is pretty unfair and narrow minded. If a man gets uncomfortable about seeing yaoi stuff, they should think about how uncomfortable (especially straight) women get from the fanservice for men.

If you compared the amount of mainstream anime with yaoi elements and the amount with fanservice for men, the proportion is highly skewed towards the latter. So it's like complaining about an anthill rather than a volcano.
24301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13
tired of WHAT?

I am definitely tired of ecchi and loli anime but has someone complained about it? no because we are in a society where female sexuality is viewed as *normal* //sarcasm

It is normal to see two girls blushing at one another or forming a strong bond or showing off their boobies and panties most of the time

but GOD FORBID if it is two guys because everyone starts complaining about YAOI when there is nothing gay about it, it's just two guys becoming friends. FREE! is not yaoi and I haven't seen any yaoi hints either. And Free! is a great example of how close minded this society is, the guys just take the shirt off and most people go ARRRRGGAYYYYYAOIIIACKKK!!!! and this is what I'm tired of

Let's face it, it's the 21st century and I thought that people were beginning to wake up on some level. With yaoi I think it's good that men are being objectified because since forever women have been objectified. We're flipping the coin because things have been lopsided on TV and film for so long. Another good point to yaoi is that it portrays men's sensuality. They're not just all about sex and only sex. I think that there's just no denying the impact that showing people the truth can have. It allows people to understand themselves, and when you understand yourself you can understand the people around you. And then you can begin to let go of all the bullshit that leads into things like world wars, racism, stereotypes, and bigotry.

Having said that, I am a Yaoi fangirl and I've read real yaoi manga and watched all yaoi anime in existence (which is not many, sadly). I just stick to my yaoi anime, other kind of anime like shoujo, seinen. shounen hardly shows any gay character and when they do it is just for comedy and I hate that so much as for hints, I really don't see any hints of yaoi if the characters are just friends.

Maybe I just grew up in a family where we are very close (even my brothers) and we don't have any problem showing any affection to a friend either. I'm lucky to have straight open minded brothers who watched yaoi anime with me and Queer as folks




M1keymike1 wrote:

I think a lot of the 'yaoi' that people are complaining about is more perceived than anything. Don't get me wrong, I do see some obvious and rather overt examples of yaoi, but I think a lot of it is the idea that guys can't be close (the so-called "bromance").

I may just be a crazy person (far from impossible), but to me, its only really yaoi if two male characters are obviously interested in each other. If its just something like some of the scenes from Big Windup (its the first thing that came to mind, sue me) that involve pep-talks and holding someones hands, its not really yaoi, but camaraderie.


My thoughts exactly!!

Yaoi is when 2 male characters have the hots for each other and explicit sex happens. If it is not like that, it is not yaoi and it's all on your mind.
6153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Your Brain
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13
hopefully stop soon.
i have nothing against gays. (though it is very unnatural)
i just have nothing to do with them, therefore i dont watch yaoi..ECK,

BUT YURI THO, THATS DIFFERENT!
13278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
Think both are tiresome
21139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13

justapersonwatchinganime wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


justapersonwatchinganime wrote:

Don't you think many girls and others get tired of all the fanservice for and by straight men, too?



Pretty sure they do.

Yup. So men complaining about yaoi but not all the fanservice made for the men is pretty unfair and narrow minded. If a man gets uncomfortable about seeing yaoi stuff, they should think about how uncomfortable (especially straight) women get from the fanservice for men.

If you compared the amount of mainstream anime with yaoi elements and the amount with fanservice for men, the proportion is highly skewed towards the latter. So it's like complaining about an anthill rather than a volcano.



Never had a problem yaoi/shounen-ai & yuri/shoujo-ai anime series because I find both enjoyable. I don't have a problem with homosexual anime character in a non-yaoi/yuri anime series. My only problem is putting two heterosexual males and females into a pairing when they clear don't belong in one. The same goes for putting a homosexual character in a heterosexual relationship. The most common genres where fanmade yaoi pairings happen is in Shounen/Seinen anime. You'll have yuri too but that hardly gets any acknowledgement from fans. Not every yaoi fan girl thinks that way though. Society is still double-standard and sexist on certain levels. I get your point on how men act that way. There are some men that do not behave that way. All I know is in EVERY SINGLE fandom on this planet there will ALWAYS be the sane fan or the insane fan. In every fandom, you'll always have an elitist fan who thinks what they're doing is right. Fandoms are what they do.

24301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 9/20/13

mecca_777 wrote:

hopefully stop soon.
i have nothing against gays. (though it is very unnatural)
i just have nothing to do with them, therefore i dont watch yaoi..ECK,

BUT YURI THO, THATS DIFFERENT!


Oh the beautiful double standards!!

How is homosexuality unnatural? don't you know that animals have gay sex too? if your excuse to hate upon gays is the nature, just spend some time watching Discovery

It's not bad or unnatural to be gay, I guess it's best just to approach it all with an open mind and believe that who you fall for is who you fall for, regardless of what's below their belt.

I think it is very ignorant to say lesbians are ok but gays are not. Pervert.
21139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 9/20/13



Your comment makes so much sense and I love it. Someone finally understands that Free! was never intended to be a yaoi anime! I agree with these comments very much.












6153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Your Brain
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
ok, i need to use more intelligence.

Ligers are real animals by a lion and tiger. as a result of this unnaturality, it cant reproduce because is not natural.(u wont ever find them in the wild)
idc about animals having gay sex LMAO!!!!!!
but since ligers arent natural, it wont reproduce. gays dont reproduce. simply because it's not natural.
and i just stated i have nothing against them. i never said i hated them.
20781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / anime4fantasy@hot...
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
I don't mind yaoi sometimes, for an example, if it has an atmosphere like vampire knight. As long as it still fits in with a good story, I'm satisfied
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.