First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Anime = Yaoi - When does it stop?
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13

EffectVeiler wrote:

You guys do know Yaoi..as in the word Yaoi..is referring to material that focuses on sex between guys ?...it dose not mean the same as Bromance or shōnen-ai so if you are sick of Yaoi..
Just because I always have to point it out for educational purposes whenever this or a similar statement is made, what you said is not true in Japan. Its only with western fans and their poor understanding of those terms that this gets thrown around. I generally don't comment when someone uses those terms in the western sense as it has kind of evolved a bit over here as to what we understand them to mean, I tend to only comment when people, such as yourself, erroneously claim that the western usage is the proper usage when it is in fact not the case.

Aside from "bromance"(which is a modern western concept for guys actually having close male friends and is in no way sexual), Yaoi refers to all forms of gay content from light nonsexual romance, to hardcore gay porn, although it has to specifically be directed at a female audience to be considered so. The English words Boys Love, or BL for short, is synonymous with Yaoi to fujoshi as it means the exact same thing to them, they just say Boys Love because English "sounds cool". Boys Love is not soft core and Yaoi is not hard core they are the exact same thing and they refer to the entire spectrum.

As for Shounen-Ai, it doesn't mean what you think it means., Westerners started using that term because they thought Boys Love was a direct word for word translation from Japanese words, rather than a cool English phrase for the japanese to say instead of Yaoi, and decided to translate it back into Japanese because either Japanese "sounds cool" to us or because they saw that Shounen-Ai actually is a term, but completely misinterpreted it as being the origin for the term BL because the words are close to being the same with a literal out of context translation.

This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that westerners made a distinction between BL(softcore/romance) and Yaoi(hardcore) that the Japanese don't generally make while simultaneously not understanding that to the Japanese "Shounen-Ai" is in fact refers to works of homosexual pedaphilia. So if you are wanting to say you prefer Softcore/romance over Hardcore sex and you say you prefer BL over Yaoi, a Japanese person might scratch their head if they aren't familiar with how we differentiate in the west because they don't get what you are talking about, however if you say you prefer Shounen-Ai over Yaoi and they are not familiar with how we use the terms they are going to interpret it as,"I like gay material but only if its men having sex with little boys".
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/4/13

AnimeKami wrote:

Saki makes a great waifu...

edit: wasn't this thread about yaoi stuff?


It was...


sekicharat wrote:

I don't think most people have a clear concept of what Yaoi is. Just because it has an all male cast that can easily be slashed into fan-fiction fodder doesnt make it yaoi. Having a flamboyantly gay character doesnt make it yaoi. Or having a straight male character think one guy is "cool" doesnt make it yaoi. Honestly, even most characters in yaoi anime don't start out gay. In animes like Gravitation or Junjou Romantica rarely are the main protagonist just flat out gay or have always been gay. One of the only honest depictions I've seen of a gay man is Ono from Antique Bakery and even he is a bit over the top.

Anyways, final rule of thumb. If there isnt buttseks involved, it isnt yaoi.


And now it most certainly is about yaoi...

Well, Shinsekai Yori didn't have any of that unless I blinked and missed it, just kissing though more may have been implied. Hentai yaoi I probably couldn't handle...
31740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / TX
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
Shinsekai Yori had some shonen-ai in it. And that was barely even an ep or two. If anything else happened it wasn't as flagrant as it was in anime like Junjou Romantica or Gravitation.
14542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Western Australia
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13

AnimeKami wrote:

It seems people are more so tired of moeblob fanservice rather than uncomfortable like Free! and Uta.

Then again without having watched the first episode of Free! it isn't any different than other anime of that genre, just guys instead of girls.

See... the flaw of saying "another yaoi hate thread" is... a girl made this thread.


..Girls hate Yaoi too..I didn't say anything about a guy hating it or making the thread.I know plenty of straight and non-straight men who don't have a problem with Yaoi. Still the author of this thread is only bashing one thing ..there is so much more Yuri fan service , Hentai and such..but she's not bitching about any of those just Yaoi so..I'll just stick with my above statement. Yaoi hate thread. I've seen threads like these made by women in the past , if only to prove to guys that they are not with the 'Yaoi loving psycho fan girls.' Ridiculous.
22524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Nevada........ FO...
Offline
Posted 7/4/13

hpulley wrote:


humnut wrote:

The only real problem I have with the abundance of yaoi is the complete lack of yuri. But other than that, I think you may be overreacting a little.

^^^ This! And this is why I liked Shinsekai Yori, a bit of both. And SNAFU too, some yuri hints with Yui x Yukinon along with the Hachiman x Totsuka. Just love, need more love and romance in anime IMO! LOL

And I loved Saki in waifu mode, hnnngggggg, could totally go for that! But Shun was cute too LOL


Seriously, right! What happened to the good ol' yuri anime like Strawberry Panic and Kashimashi Girls!

And yes, loved the same sex couples in Shinsekai, so cute!
70042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 7/4/13

AsahinaInu wrote:


^ This was educational. Thank you.

I was kind of wondering about the terminology since we don't have a problem calling Yuyushiki yuri.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13

Insomnist wrote:



I was kind of wondering about the terminology since we don't have a problem calling Yuyushiki yuri.
From what I understand Yuri is a far more catch all term for female/female without regards to audience or things like that, so there are lots of different things called Yuri because it doesn't necessarily have as many specific connotations, there can be Yuri for women, men, boys, girls or whatever, as long as there is a female/female relationship as the focus its called Yuri. On the same note as Shounen-AI, Shoujo-ai also has connotations of pedophilia in Japan. Just like with the male/male scenario of Boys Love, Girls Love is actually a wasei-eigo(see below) that is synonymous with Yuri and not in fact a direct translation of Shoujo-Ai.

I do believe the term Shoujo-Ai has less negative connotations with regards to manga in Japan compared to Shounen-ai however,(I could be wrong however don't take my word on it.) as I don't believe there was ever an actual genre of media directly related with its connotations like there was with Shounen-ai in the past. Shounen-ai was actually used to describe older works of gay pedophilia, whereas there wasn't a similar genre for female pedophilia going by that name. So "Love for litte boys" and "Love for little girls" while having similar negative connotations when used out of context, is much more likely to be directly associated with pedophilia in manga with regards to the male version, whereas a female/female manga context for those words can be established with a bit more ease, and I could swear I read somewhere about certain manga 2authors in japan using that term more recently(funnily enough in emulation of us using a pseudo Japanese term that we defined) by giving the words which at face value are generally interpreted as something bad, could be interpreted as something else if you clarify it. Much as if someone said "I love little girls" in english out of context it would get them weird looks but if they were obviously referring to their daughters antics after doing something adorable they would get the context.



(Just learned the term "wasei-eigo". It basically means Japanese made English, or in other words pseudo-anglican Japanese adopted into the language as actual Japanese, not as a translation. Basically the terms Boys Love/BL and Girls Love/GL are wasei-eigo, meaning that to the Japanese they are adopted into their language with their own independent meaning and are not in fact considered translations of words in their own language.)
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
As I understand it yaoi and yuri is the only term actually used by Japanese. Both of those in western culture have the connotation of being highly sexualized therefore shounen-ai and shoujo-ai were born to describe love stories of the same sex.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
Japanese has been borrowing from other languages for a very long time. The wasei-eigo, gairaigo and "Japanese English" terms are very popular. Some of them are quite funny when I explain what they really mean in English to them... Of course, English is another language which begs, borrows and steals unabashedly from everywhere and it only gets worse when it is brought into Japanese...
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/13

tommythecat wrote:

As I understand it yaoi and yuri is the only term actually used by Japanese. Both of those in western culture have the connotation of being highly sexualized therefore shounen-ai and shoujo-ai were born to describe love stories of the same sex.
The Japanese actually do use the terms Boys Love and Girls Love too. Its probably why we got the misconception that Yaoi and Yuri are something completely different than BL and GL, and why we started using Shounen-ai and Shoujo-ai in the first place as an effort to make sense of things (or maybe just because the west tends to think that sex and romance/love have an conflicting opposing moral direction and a line needs to be drawn.)
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
They do, well at least they do in anime but I'd be curious to know if the BL and GL usage came out of the attempt for west to distinguish between love and sex. Everytime I see BL used in anime it often has the opposite connotation that was meant for it in the west as a non sexual way to describe love stories between same-sex couples.
Posted 7/4/13

moestheman wrote:

i wouldnt catagorize either of those as AAA. i cant see a giant studio like Bones ever doing a gay anime

EDIT: i know what you are saying. the problem is these are great shows. even though they have some elements that i dont agree with, its still a great show. also unless its a straight up shounen ai, you wont see the traps coming, hence trap.


Bones did No. 6...
That was kind of an anime that dabbled in homosexuality..

24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/13

sekicharat wrote:

Anyways, final rule of thumb. If there isnt buttseks involved, it isnt yaoi.
Just had to comment on this, as while I was doing a bit of half-assed internet research on the history of the terms trying trying to get a better grip on their change in usage throughout history, I came across something that would have made be snort soda out of my nose if I hadn't quite got the glass to my lips yet. Apparently its a common joke among Fujoshi that YAOI is an acronym for "Yamete, oshiri ga itai", or in English "Stop, my ass hurts!"


739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13
Well, I suppose I see the material Yaoi fans jump on, but it isn't usually past subtext I'd say. Anyway, what about the flipside? You can't seem to have a show with only female main characters without yuri undertones. Mind you, neither of these are bad, just an occurence.
76468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
from the South Bay
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13
if it sells... the writer/mangaka will never stop lol

its all in the money $$$$
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.