First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Anime = Yaoi - When does it stop?
22524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Nevada........ FO...
Offline
Posted 7/4/13

sekicharat wrote:

YAOI is an acronym for "Yamete, oshiri ga itai", or in English "Stop, my ass hurts!"




Lol that is by far the most hilarious thing I've ever heard.

Btw, when did this turn into an intellectual discussion on terminology between foreign languages? It's great though, and I for one have learned a lot today. For me personally, Yaoi and Yuri have never been terms that I have associated with hardcore sexual stuff. For me it's always been; Yaoi = MaleXMale relationships and Yuri = GirlXGirl relationships, and is not based on the level of intimacy. But that's just my two cents, take it for what it's worth. . . which is two cents. . .
19298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
glad someone pointed out that any BL is considered yaoi. so ppl. any hints of BL is still yaoi. Butseks or no Butseks. that isnt the point anyway. we arent talking about anime that is about gay love. make a million anime that are about gay love. i have no problem with those. i wont watch them. BUT. when you make a AAA Shonen like onepiece. and make an entire newkama island its a little offputting. bon-clay, and eva. or fanservice anime like Tu love ru, and throw a genderswapping character just so the mc can end up in Guy/Guy situations. its a little much.
103919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/4/13

iashakezula wrote:

if it sells... the writer/mangaka will never stop lol

its all in the money $$$$


Never it has always been about the people. Rofl
8073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
Take off your yaoi goggles if you don't like it. When you take them off you're just wearing your hilarious goggles.
Posted 7/4/13

moestheman wrote:

glad someone pointed out that any BL is considered yaoi. so ppl. any hints of BL is still yaoi. Butseks or no Butseks. that isnt the point anyway. we arent talking about anime that is about gay love. make a million anime that are about gay love. i have no problem with those. i wont watch them. BUT. when you make a AAA Shonen like onepiece. and make an entire newkama island its a little offputting. bon-clay, and eva. or fanservice anime like Tu love ru, and throw a genderswapping character just so the mc can end up in Guy/Guy situations. its a little much.


yeah, okay.
try and tell fans what to do.
see how far you get.

just as you said you won't watch those BL animes you don't have to look at those fanart/fanfiction or anything they produce
they're easy to ignore if you don't go looking/into areas heavily populated by those types of fans.
leave them be, can do what they want.
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 7/4/13


stop caring what others think and enjoy what you enjoy.
19298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13
im not telling anyone what to do. the whole thread was about how a few people are tired of yaoi/BL in almost every anime we watch. i just watched fairytail OVA 5 for instance. and it had grey lyon slash for no reason. it doesnt matter if its an anime made for a certain group. but in anime marketed to straight male 12-25 why the BL? doesnt make much sense to me

Edit. it would be like watching batman and superman adventures. and some girl, or guy has some batmanxsuperman slash thoughts and they animated it and showed it to us. would it be funny, maybe. but would it take away from batman, and superman as a whole? yes. and would the fans stand for it? probably not. and yes, i know american and japanese cartoons are different. but the same logic should apply
Posted 7/4/13

moestheman wrote:

im not telling anyone what to do. the whole thread was about how a few people are tired of yaoi/BL in almost every anime we watch. i just watched fairytail OVA 5 for instance. and it had grey lyon slash for no reason. it doesnt matter if its an anime made for a certain group. but in anime marketed to straight male 12-25 why the BL? doesnt make much sense to me


because maybe there are a number of fujoshi fans for the show?
ever thought about that one?
19298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13

FameMonster wrote:


moestheman wrote:

im not telling anyone what to do. the whole thread was about how a few people are tired of yaoi/BL in almost every anime we watch. i just watched fairytail OVA 5 for instance. and it had grey lyon slash for no reason. it doesnt matter if its an anime made for a certain group. but in anime marketed to straight male 12-25 why the BL? doesnt make much sense to me


because maybe there are a number of fujoshi fans for the show?
ever thought about that one?


maybe, but how do they know they have these fujoshi fans, do they write to the artist/studio and go. hey when are you gonna add some BL. we need our BL fix. the thought process of putting it into a HUGELY shonen series just intrigues me. i feel like its a form of social engineering. you know telling young men if they have these feelings, "its all good, look at hikki/grey/naruto, they all had some BL moments, but they came out just fine".
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13

moestheman wrote:


FameMonster wrote:


moestheman wrote:

im not telling anyone what to do. the whole thread was about how a few people are tired of yaoi/BL in almost every anime we watch. i just watched fairytail OVA 5 for instance. and it had grey lyon slash for no reason. it doesnt matter if its an anime made for a certain group. but in anime marketed to straight male 12-25 why the BL? doesnt make much sense to me


because maybe there are a number of fujoshi fans for the show?
ever thought about that one?


maybe, but how do they know they have these fujoshi fans, do they write to the artist/studio and go. hey when are you gonna add some BL. we need our BL fix. the thought process of putting it into a HUGELY shonen series just intrigues me. i feel like its a form of social engineering. you know telling young men if they have these feelings, "its all good, look at hikki/grey/naruto, they all had some BL moments, but they came out just fine".


Um, yeah. Studios have access to this kind of information, yeah. How else do you think KyoAni found out that about half of K-On! sales came from women? Also, how else would the creators of KNB know that mostly women were buying it? They have access to this kind of stuff. Usually you can tell by who buys what. Women tend to buy DVDs, while men buy BD. They can also tell by who buys where, men seem to favor Amazon, while women like to go to Animate. Recently the DVD/BD gap is closing, but it's still pretty much true. You can also go on the internet and find fans all over drawing BL fanart, or writing fiction and yes sometimes people do write in to studios.

And another thing, it seems that ALOT of women read shounen series. Not as many as men, but a decent amount. KNB is an example, it actually has more female fans than males.
See:

Image confirmed here:
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASFK31007_R31C12A0000000/?dg=1
you can see this too:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BishonenJumpSyndrome

I don't get your last statement? Is there something wrong with there being homosexual characters in a show aimed at men? Is it bad for straight men to see things that deal with homosexuality?
Personally, I think more stuff with homosexual couples should be put into things marketed towards them since so many male anime fans seem to be incredibly homophobic. Maybe seeing how there is nothing strange/wrong about homosexuality will make them grow up.
19298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13
homophobic. this is a term that is tossed around rather lightly it seems. not agreeing with the lifestyle or not wanting it to change the medium that you love the way it is doesnt always mean fear. but thats a different discussion all together. as this thread proves, not not all women approve of all the BL in these shows either, yet more and more it permeates. im not even apposed to a gay couple in a show. but what weirds alot of ppl out, is when the straightest of the straight characters just get slashed out of nowhere. either with a trap, or by the imagination of a fujoshi side character. alot of times it doesnt even mesh with the story told so far. its thrown in thier specifically for some social reasons.

edit: btw, i dont have any problem with gays or manlove in general, it just wierds me out when otherwise straight characters jump the yaoi ship for no reason. then jumps back like nothing ever happened.
Posted 7/4/13

moestheman wrote:

homophobic. this is a term that is tossed around rather lightly it seems. not agreeing with the lifestyle or not wanting it to change the medium that you love the way it is doesnt always mean fear. but thats a different discussion all together. as this thread proves, not not all women approve of all the BL in these shows either, yet more and more it permeates. im not even apposed to a gay couple in a show. but what weirds alot of ppl out, is when the straightest of the straight characters just get slashed out of nowhere. either with a trap, or by the imagination of a fujoshi side character. alot of times it doesnt even mesh with the story told so far. its thrown in thier specifically for some social reasons.

edit: btw, i dont have any problem with gays or manlove in general, it just wierds me out when otherwise straight characters jump the yaoi ship for no reason. then jumps back like nothing ever happened.


Lol @ not agreeing with the lifestyle.
and what? how is it bad?
how is it not agreeable? huh?
if they were fucking molesting children it'd be different, but they're not. They are two people going into a consensual relationships, how is that bad? How is that not agreeable?
Also, I don't toss it around. Quite a few male fans of anime have displayed homophobia before, hell, Free! unleashed a whole shitstorm filled with it.

Not all women approve, but clearly there are enough BL fans so it keeps getting made and it keeps being hinted at in things. Simple as that. Fujoshi are a pretty decent sized market, why wouldn't companies not want to attract them? Besides, most of their fan-service in animes/manga is real easy to ignore. If you go looking (like they do) you'll find it, unless it is pure BL.

So what if they are slashed? Do you complain about all slashing? Female/Male included? Also, how do you know they're straight unless blatantly stated? (We assume straight alot, doesn't mean they are. Some are undeniable, I won't argue but even so fans being fans does not affect you, so stop bitching about it.) Also, it's possible for a character to be interpreted as bisexual, but, again, what does it matter to you? It does not affect you unless you go looking for it. Fanfiction/fanart doesn't apply to the actual show, as long as the show isn't overridden in homosexual undertones why do you even care what fans do?

Those type of characters are usually there for humor? Do you have something against that?

Also, you're referring to an OVA that has no point to the main series what-so-ever, so what does it matter? It's playing up to fujoshi and if they're contributing to sales they deserve to be catered to, simple as that.
19298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
im not talking about what fans do at all. its their time. you dont have to be a gay person hater, or a homophobe to not agree with them. i dont agree with christianity or democrats, but am i afraid of them, no. well christians, a little. and do i disagree with all slash, no. some female/male i certainly disagree with. all those who like to put luffy with whoever. its stupid, luffy doesnt have those types of feelings. it doesnt agree with his character. thats the problem. i never have, and never will have a problem with fanfiction, or fan art. it has no effect on me. what does effect me is when it bleeds into the main show. why appease this particular group of fans, when you alienate the group that made you popular to begin with. people who like mecha have shows they can watch, people who like magical girl have shows they can watch. how pissed would a person be if all of a sudden after watching 60 episodes or gundam xxxyz the mc jumps out of the cockpit and turned into sailormoon. even if it was a gag, if it is completely out of character it throws the show out of balance for no reason at all, but to please a few.
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13

moestheman wrote:

im not talking about what fans do at all. its their time. you dont have to be a gay person hater, or a homophobe to not agree with them. i dont agree with christianity or democrats, but am i afraid of them, no. well christians, a little. and do i disagree with all slash, no. some female/male i certainly disagree with. all those who like to put luffy with whoever. its stupid, luffy doesnt have those types of feelings. it doesnt agree with his character. thats the problem. i never have, and never will have a problem with fanfiction, or fan art. it has no effect on me. what does effect me is when it bleeds into the main show. why appease this particular group of fans, when you alienate the group that made you popular to begin with. people who like mecha have shows they can watch, people who like magical girl have shows they can watch. how pissed would a person be if all of a sudden after watching 60 episodes or gundam xxxyz the mc jumps out of the cockpit and turned into sailormoon. even if it was a gag, if it is completely out of character it throws the show out of balance for no reason at all, but to please a few.


and you have shows you can watch still?
yaoi doesn't seep into everything, it hasn't touched Bleach (far as I can tell since the mangaka hates it) and it's played for laughs in Naruto and one OVA is not the whole series, plus there's One Piece and I know for a fact no BL undertones are in the Monogatari series or ANY ecchi series for that matter.
also, i'm laughing cause you mention Fairy Tale. Fairy Tale still caters to men ALOT, so it's not like the yaoi fangirls are taking over with one OVA. It's just letting them have some fun to themselves, nothing wrong with that. And it's an OVA, it doesn't really matter. and again the reason it bleeds into the show is because ENOUGH CONTRIBUTE, THEY PURCHASE STUFF FROM IT, that's why they get catered to.

so what if that happens?
the people who will want to see that stuff will watch it, people who don't want to see it don't have to watch it since there are a a crapton of other meccha animes and that's that? Same with magical girl animes? There are multiple series to watch if you don't want that particular one?

anime doesn't have to appeal to one group, it doesn't have to always appeal to the same people. just because one group pays doesn't mean another group should be left out if it pays quite a bit as well.
fujoshi who contribute deserve to be catered to (and they're not catered to a lot, yaoi undertones are not that prominent and they're again, easily ignored.) The same goes for men that contribute (and they still get catered to a lot.)

9748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/4/13 , edited 7/4/13
Anime and manga tends to have many randomly placed fanservice moments that cater to all sorts of crowds, so I've learned to take it all in stride. Also, I haven't come across much yaoi-ish references in anime, which leads me to disagree with your statement regarding it's supposed popularity. Naturally, I can't grow tired of something that I rarely observe. If there really is a boost in it's popularity that I haven't noticed, then it's probably just an attempt at marketing the genre. It's also possible that the references are baby-steps in opening the doors to mainstream homosexuality in anime/manga. I recall them taking tentative steps in introducing yuri as mainstream in the early 1990's, and then yuri references slowly becoming normal from then on. Perhaps yaoi is merely in the midst of a "burst" of popularity that marks that it's significantly less taboo?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.