Post Reply 3 TIPS on beginning an already well established and very long ongoing or finished manga
7329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
Hello all! Over the past couple of years I've been choosing fairly long and well established manga to get into. To some people this can be difficult. Take for instance One Piece. As of writing this one piece currently has 714 chapters and is still an ongoing weekly manga with no clear signs of ending anytime soon. When I started reading One Piece it was in its early 600's and at first I wasn't sure if I was really up to this. At times it felt like a daily chore and I wanted to give up. Not that I didn't like the story and didn't care about knowing what happened next. But having so many chapters ahead of me was overwhelming. But One Piece wasn't the first time I've read a series with such length, and because of that I developed a few habits that helped me get through long series without getting sick of them of feel like giving up or just plain not even starting them because of how big they already are.

Tip #1- DON'T BEGIN AT THE START-This for me is the most important. If I ever decide to pick up a new series now, whether it's over 1000 chapters long like Hajime no Ippo (which I started reading when it was already over 900 chapters in) or Shingeki no Kyojin (which as the time of writing this only has 47 chapters). The very first thing I do is read the very last 2 chapters of the manga. Why? Context and Suspense.

-No matter what it is, tv, books, manga, anime, movies, they all start by giving the viewer some sort of context/explanation of the worlds established rules so that the you don't get lost in the plot. Obviously this is very helpful but at the same time it, in a way, lessens the impact of any event that may happen. Maybe not tremendously, but enough. By understand how the world work and the basic philosophies of it's everyday people, even the most significant events can be somewhat understandable. So what would happen if you jumped in at a point in which you had no context, no rhyme or reason as to why the things that happened are happening. Wouldn't you want to know why?

Tip #2- ALWAYS HAVE A SPARE- Reading one manga for a long period of time isn't very fun no matter how good it is. It's like if you ate your favorite food 4 weeks in a row. You'd eventually get sick of it and you might not ever wanna eat it again. Which is why it's every important that you always have something on the side to curb your otaku hunger. When tackling huge "projects" like this it will at some point feel like a job so it's important to have something to drag you out of that mindset every once in a while. It doesn't necessarily have to be another manga, just something that you feel offers the same entertainment value as that manga once did before you got so deep that it became a task. I'd even suggest doing this in between chapters.

Tip #3- CLOCK IN/CLOCK OUT- Have a schedule. I don't mean designate a time of day to read it. Choose a maximum amount of chapters you read a day. As I mentioned previously, for me it was about 30 chapters. That was a about as much as my brain could take before I felt like calling it quits. This may vary form manga to manga, and you may end up ignoring it all together if you get to a really intense part of the arc but, setting a daily minimum can really help for those times you just wanna give up.


Hopefully these can be helpful to any who want's to get into a huge series. And if any of you have your own tips, this is an open discussion so feel free to add as many as you want. GOOD LUCK
37750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Grande Prairie, A...
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
Nice I have to agree with these tips. I'm in the middle of reading One Piece, currently I am waiting for the arrival of vol 56. Tip #2 definitely has come in handy for me. At one point I became tired of reading One Piece, so I picked up Bakuman and Shaman King gave them a read and was ready to read One Piece again. As well I unknowingly used tip #1 on One Piece. I read an old issue of Shonen Jump with a couple chapters of the Paramount War arc and it got me hooked into reading One Piece and I'm still looking forward to reading up to the Paramount War arc and beyond.
So good tips False Detective

14356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

FalseDetective

Tip #1- DON'T BEGIN AT THE START-This for me is the most important. If I ever decide to pick up a new series now, whether it's over 1000 chapters long like Hajime no Ippo (which I started reading when it was already over 900 chapters in) or Shingeki no Kyojin (which as the time of writing this only has 47 chapters). The very first thing I do is read the very last 2 chapters of the manga. Why? Context and Suspense.



This part confuses me. Especially if it's something shorter like SnK? If a 47 chapter manga is already too lengthy, then what's the point of reading it? Unless this is worded weird, I just don't get it.
7329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

spectralMagician wrote:


FalseDetective

Tip #1- DON'T BEGIN AT THE START-This for me is the most important. If I ever decide to pick up a new series now, whether it's over 1000 chapters long like Hajime no Ippo (which I started reading when it was already over 900 chapters in) or Shingeki no Kyojin (which as the time of writing this only has 47 chapters). The very first thing I do is read the very last 2 chapters of the manga. Why? Context and Suspense.



This part confuses me. Especially if it's something shorter like SnK? If a 47 chapter manga is already too lengthy, then what's the point of reading it? Unless this is worded weird, I just don't get it.


No I wasn't saying that a 47 chapter was lengthy, in fact I was implying the opposite entirely. I mean whether the series is short or long i will still read it most recent chapter first just so I have a goal to work towards, and something to keep my self in a constant state of suspense at least until I get to that chapter.
7329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

kyletkd wrote:

Nice I have to agree with these tips. I'm in the middle of reading One Piece, currently I am waiting for the arrival of vol 56. Tip #2 definitely has come in handy for me. At one point I became tired of reading One Piece, so I picked up Bakuman and Shaman King gave them a read and was ready to read One Piece again. As well I unknowingly used tip #1 on One Piece. I read an old issue of Shonen Jump with a couple chapters of the Paramount War arc and it got me hooked into reading One Piece and I'm still looking forward to reading up to the Paramount War arc and beyond.
So good tips False Detective



thank you good sir it was a pleasure and a good time consumer
21492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / NJ
Online
Posted 7/7/13

FalseDetective wrote:


kyletkd wrote:

Nice I have to agree with these tips. I'm in the middle of reading One Piece, currently I am waiting for the arrival of vol 56. Tip #2 definitely has come in handy for me. At one point I became tired of reading One Piece, so I picked up Bakuman and Shaman King gave them a read and was ready to read One Piece again. As well I unknowingly used tip #1 on One Piece. I read an old issue of Shonen Jump with a couple chapters of the Paramount War arc and it got me hooked into reading One Piece and I'm still looking forward to reading up to the Paramount War arc and beyond.
So good tips False Detective



thank you good sir it was a pleasure and a good time consumer


But you have no idea what those chapters will spoil for you. Doing this could easily ruin the entire manga
14356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

FalseDetective wrote:


spectralMagician wrote:


FalseDetective

Tip #1- DON'T BEGIN AT THE START-This for me is the most important. If I ever decide to pick up a new series now, whether it's over 1000 chapters long like Hajime no Ippo (which I started reading when it was already over 900 chapters in) or Shingeki no Kyojin (which as the time of writing this only has 47 chapters). The very first thing I do is read the very last 2 chapters of the manga. Why? Context and Suspense.



This part confuses me. Especially if it's something shorter like SnK? If a 47 chapter manga is already too lengthy, then what's the point of reading it? Unless this is worded weird, I just don't get it.


No I wasn't saying that a 47 chapter was lengthy, in fact I was implying the opposite entirely. I mean whether the series is short or long i will still read it most recent chapter first just so I have a goal to work towards, and something to keep my self in a constant state of suspense at least until I get to that chapter.


Ohhh, okay. I thought you meant you skipped around chapters and only reading the interesting ones. I was confuse.
7329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/13 , edited 7/7/13

hyjinx17 wrote:


FalseDetective wrote:


kyletkd wrote:

Nice I have to agree with these tips. I'm in the middle of reading One Piece, currently I am waiting for the arrival of vol 56. Tip #2 definitely has come in handy for me. At one point I became tired of reading One Piece, so I picked up Bakuman and Shaman King gave them a read and was ready to read One Piece again. As well I unknowingly used tip #1 on One Piece. I read an old issue of Shonen Jump with a couple chapters of the Paramount War arc and it got me hooked into reading One Piece and I'm still looking forward to reading up to the Paramount War arc and beyond.
So good tips False Detective



thank you good sir it was a pleasure and a good time consumer


But you have no idea what those chapters will spoil for you. Doing this could easily ruin the entire manga


yes.... but that's kind of the point minus the ruining part of course, sometimes I feel knowing what happens before hand can be the greatest motivator of doing the work to get to that point. Like with a job, if you know doing a certain thing at work will make you employee of the month, it doesn't make being employee of a month any less sweeter . Ok maybe that wasn't the best analogy lol but you see my point right.

Now on the other hand I do agree with you in a since. Sometimes knowing what happens can ruin a story. But that's usually if what you read has a since of finality. In the case of manga's like once piece or naruto or bleach, those manga are going to be going on for quite some time, so while you may know what happens with whatever current chapter you read, what you don't know is what happens AFTER that and by the time you reach the chapter you read the manga will have probably added 10-20 more chapters by then,
18465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / America
Offline
Posted 7/8/13
ha i follow none of your rules
i start at the very beginning
then only read that one manga until im done
and i only stop to sleep
but everybody has there own style baby yeah
34267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Dressrosa
Offline
Posted 7/8/13
Tip #2 and 3 I do them actually. Tip #1 on the other hand, I disagree. No matter how long the series is, I will still start from the beginning. I started reading Hajime no Ippo, when it already had more than 900 chapters. I still started from chapter 1.

I don't get the point of starting something in the middle or from the newest chapters. Maybe something "epic" is happening in those chapters, but I wouldn't give a damn because I haven't read the build up to it nor do I care about the plot and any of the characters.
Sogno- 
24621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/13
why are there manga that go way beyond 100 chapters i just don't understand T_T

/reads such manga of course
15382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/8/13
900 chapters is nothing to me, I only read like a half an hour amount of stuff and continue the next time i'm in the mood. It wouldn't be fair to the author who put his heart into making such a long series and not have it finished properly. But I guess if you just want to jump on another bandwagon without the urge to see what made people fall in love with the series, then that is entirely up to you.

Anime on the other hand, well there's no way you could make me watch every single filler Naruto and Bleach had, they aren't very interesting or important to the plot and ultimately just consume time I could spend doing something fun.

Skipping drama or character development is a big no-no, understanding the subject of the series comes from dedication to stick out through the boring plot-walls (although I skim through them usually).

Ultimately you should find a manga where, if you get through like 10 or 20 chapters without yawning, just stick with it. Forget about what's going on in the final/latest chapters, those chapters were meant for people who stuck with the manga and wanted to see what it would become.
You must be logged in to post.