First  Prev  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  Next  Last
Post Reply Which do you prefer Automatic or Manual?
47 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
manual! it's funner =)
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Saitama Prefictur...
Offline
Posted 2/13/09
lol, manual allll the way, you get better gas mileage, makes you look cooler when ppl dont know how 2 use it, and in some cases it safer, ever hear of engine breaking? slows your car down imidiately when downshifting, only stick can do that, saving your life if your breaks dont work but its not likely that will, manuals r more fun anyways, auto make me feel lazy so i barely drive auto.
plus, most sport cars come in manual, i like fast, but thats me, but newer sports cars are starting 2 use cvt transmission aka auto trans with options between auto and paddle shift/ slapstick example is the new nissan gt-r
2997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 2/14/09
manual!!! i have a manual mitsubishi eclipse...loveit to death!
563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/14/09
Manual all the way man.

Manual started it manual will finish it of.

Its like the true form of driving, you feel the road (sounds so corny)

But I aint lying its the best, plus drifting in a manual makes your heart race.

Automatic is for OAP's and sunday drivers
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 2/14/09

Dr_Jun_Manabe wrote:

lol, manual allll the way, you get better gas mileage, makes you look cooler when ppl dont know how 2 use it, and in some cases it safer, ever hear of engine breaking? slows your car down imidiately when downshifting, only stick can do that, saving your life if your breaks dont work but its not likely that will, manuals r more fun anyways, auto make me feel lazy so i barely drive auto.
plus, most sport cars come in manual, i like fast, but thats me, but newer sports cars are starting 2 use cvt transmission aka auto trans with options between auto and paddle shift/ slapstick example is the new nissan gt-r


Paddle shift transmission is not a example of CVT. CVT is designed with infinite gear ranges so that you never feel a shift shock, there wouldn't be much sense in making a manual override for it since its designed for comfort. The new GT-R does not come with CVT, its a dual-clutch system, that quite frankly, isn't worth a crap. Stories of the transmission blowing out are pretty common.

Secondly, automatic does give you engine braking. The manual ranges in an automatic transmission are designed for engine braking. Your example of an manual transmission being able to save your life if your brakes don't work is makes no sense. For engine braking to slow you down enough for you to avoid a potentially fatal crash would take an enormous amount of time. If its a matter of a fatal crash, and your brakes don't work...you'd better kiss your butt goodbye because no amount of engine braking will stop you fast enough to save your life. Hell brakes often times can't even save you fast enough to save your life, but they are a safer bet then relying on engine braking.

And lastly, the assumption that manual gives you better mileage has been refuted within this topic before. If you look around right now, the mileage in an automatic transmission is not all that much less then what you would find in for a manual transmission. And as manual transmission continue to get phased out and become obsolete,the effort in research and design will be focused on improving the automatic transmission.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Saitama Prefictur...
Offline
Posted 2/14/09

pookie052606 wrote:


Dr_Jun_Manabe wrote:

lol, manual allll the way, you get better gas mileage, makes you look cooler when ppl dont know how 2 use it, and in some cases it safer, ever hear of engine breaking? slows your car down imidiately when downshifting, only stick can do that, saving your life if your breaks dont work but its not likely that will, manuals r more fun anyways, auto make me feel lazy so i barely drive auto.
plus, most sport cars come in manual, i like fast, but thats me, but newer sports cars are starting 2 use cvt transmission aka auto trans with options between auto and paddle shift/ slapstick example is the new nissan gt-r


Paddle shift transmission is not a example of CVT. CVT is designed with infinite gear ranges so that you never feel a shift shock, there wouldn't be much sense in making a manual override for it since its designed for comfort. The new GT-R does not come with CVT, its a dual-clutch system, that quite frankly, isn't worth a crap. Stories of the transmission blowing out are pretty common.

Secondly, automatic does give you engine braking. The manual ranges in an automatic transmission are designed for engine braking. Your example of an manual transmission being able to save your life if your brakes don't work is makes no sense. For engine braking to slow you down enough for you to avoid a potentially fatal crash would take an enormous amount of time. If its a matter of a fatal crash, and your brakes don't work...you'd better kiss your butt goodbye because no amount of engine braking will stop you fast enough to save your life. Hell brakes often times can't even save you fast enough to save your life, but they are a safer bet then relying on engine braking.

And lastly, the assumption that manual gives you better mileage has been refuted within this topic before. If you look around right now, the mileage in an automatic transmission is not all that much less then what you would find in for a manual transmission. And as manual transmission continue to get phased out and become obsolete,the effort in research and design will be focused on improving the automatic transmission.


you have made your point which i accept, meaning i will beat my cousin for giving me false information.
but thanks anyways, i needa get my facts strait
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 2/14/09

Dr_Jun_Manabe wrote:


pookie052606 wrote:


Dr_Jun_Manabe wrote:

lol, manual allll the way, you get better gas mileage, makes you look cooler when ppl dont know how 2 use it, and in some cases it safer, ever hear of engine breaking? slows your car down imidiately when downshifting, only stick can do that, saving your life if your breaks dont work but its not likely that will, manuals r more fun anyways, auto make me feel lazy so i barely drive auto.
plus, most sport cars come in manual, i like fast, but thats me, but newer sports cars are starting 2 use cvt transmission aka auto trans with options between auto and paddle shift/ slapstick example is the new nissan gt-r


Paddle shift transmission is not a example of CVT. CVT is designed with infinite gear ranges so that you never feel a shift shock, there wouldn't be much sense in making a manual override for it since its designed for comfort. The new GT-R does not come with CVT, its a dual-clutch system, that quite frankly, isn't worth a crap. Stories of the transmission blowing out are pretty common.

Secondly, automatic does give you engine braking. The manual ranges in an automatic transmission are designed for engine braking. Your example of an manual transmission being able to save your life if your brakes don't work is makes no sense. For engine braking to slow you down enough for you to avoid a potentially fatal crash would take an enormous amount of time. If its a matter of a fatal crash, and your brakes don't work...you'd better kiss your butt goodbye because no amount of engine braking will stop you fast enough to save your life. Hell brakes often times can't even save you fast enough to save your life, but they are a safer bet then relying on engine braking.

And lastly, the assumption that manual gives you better mileage has been refuted within this topic before. If you look around right now, the mileage in an automatic transmission is not all that much less then what you would find in for a manual transmission. And as manual transmission continue to get phased out and become obsolete,the effort in research and design will be focused on improving the automatic transmission.


you have made your point which i accept, meaning i will beat my cousin for giving me false information.
but thanks anyways, i needa get my facts strait


Its all good. Aha there's always new things to learn about new cars. And I can understand the misconception about manuals getting better mileage, I believed that once myself. But things are just changing so fast, technology is just getting ridiculous.
17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/15/09
Depends on the situation. Manual is fun but it can be a pain in the butt sometimes(think a 40% incline starting at a rolling start.. not fun).
Auto is easier to deal with but it shifts way too early most the times, gets annoying after awhile. However most 4 cylinder cars should have sticks because the torque band is at a much higher RPM then an auto generally goes too.

You can get the same mileage auto/manual, its all about your driving algorithms.
492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 2/16/09
auto..i have lots of probs driving manual..
28 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/17/09
manual cause i like shifting gears especially a car that has 6-speed transmission
Posted 2/17/09
Automatic is easier to drive and Manual is quite hard but if u've learnt drving using manual it'll be easier to drive both of it..i think
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 2/17/09
It depends...i drive both a manual and auto car before so it depend really on how u look at it...manual is gd as the drive is smoother to me, more power....the reason i would drive auto would be lazy and if i know there will be heavy traffic on the route i'm gng....you definitely do not want to be struck in a jam with a manual car...my left leg almost die once getting out of a hr long jam....that why i am currently driving a semi-auto transmission car which give mi both auto and manual....lol
119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / In your heart!!!
Offline
Posted 2/17/09
Automatic is boring Specially in long drive... i prefer Manual...
507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / In front of ur fa...
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
Manual. you can Exeed your speed and u can push the GAS HARDER!
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
I owned both and I like my manual but it sucks when you are stuck in traffic.
First  Prev  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.