First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Why was Dragon Ball Z so popular
2589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Cause power ups are awesome.
zesire 
28576 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / florida
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Okay Why......Here is a story:

.....You have a long hard day at school figuring out your 9x1-10 times tables and you go home and lay down and , just want to watch some damn Toonami, your favorite thing ever because it has these cool cartoon like things but they seem different from regular cartoons...whatever...So you wait and its 5:30 Dragon ball z is coming on and its getting even crazier because you just remembered Kriillin just got killed by frieza...you dont like Krillin that much but its Goku's best Friend you wonder what Goku will do. All of a sudden Namek Starts to crumble and Goku is going insane and his hair is lighting up and your eye and brain is wondering wtf is happening...Then Frieza says he is going Super Sayian...Your like Super Saiyn wtf holy shit...Goku looking epic as fuck like he understands everyhting about figthing with his yellow hair begins to beat the pulp out of annoying Frieza....Lights flashing, Muscles flexing. Hair moving....You sit there like this is the craizest thing you have ever seen on TV....The Show ends with the same ol " NExt time on Dragon Ball Z...." you sit down like noooooo...You hug the TV Screen like please give me moreeeeee plsssssssssss....Your parents tell you to get ur ass to bed later on....But first you have to sit in your room trying to go super sayian like goku before you sleep.....Next Day: As soon as you go to school Everyone act school is in a uproar about Last nights episode of Dragon Ball Z...Talking about how Goku Went Super Sayian and how epic that was and how lucky there were to see it....You look to the left...You see little jimmmy crying...You as littlee timmmy why are you crying timmy DBZ was so amazing last night you should be going crazy like the rest of us.....Timmy looks up at you and says he didnt watch DBZ last night and he missed Goku Go Super Saiyan...You immeadtly back away from timmy like he has a diease and quickly give him a past on the back and walk away pitying Timmys sorry existence........He just missed the best moment on TV Ever....Even teachers were talking about it cause the kids were talking about it.......

IF you read it thats the reason....if you didnt....well cool. Story summary....: Epic episode + Mass amount of kids Fanboying over the same thing for like 2 weeks straight...+ the show got crazier and crazier...Which is why we put up with any bull shit for any stupid stuff betweent super sayian 1 to super sayian 2 and 3 etc...
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

Arsenette wrote:

Comparing 2 completely different cultures though. DBZ was a new genre being introduced to the west.. while Shoenen in general was a staple in Japanese anime.. enough to be satired. While the kids who grew up with it in the West considered it awesome and never understood the appeal of the original.. my generation and those who grew up under the uncensored anime we had to pay through the nose just to get in this country saw the humor in it given how many episodes stuff like One Piece (and now Bleach and Naruto) were in the same genre. Apples and oranges when comparing the two.

I know my nephews (who are your age) grew up with it and thought that and Power Rangers were da bomb because there wasn't anything like it in the cartoon sphere here in the USA. People died got their asses handed to them all while interspersing humor to a cool soundtrack. They didn't understand the whole point of DBZ being satire. Which is fine which is why the whole point of this thread in the first place :)


Well I would argue vehemently against the suggested idea that DBZ was meant to be satire. Dragonball Z (the show) came close to a decade before even the One Piece and Naruto Manga, so I find your comparison to the latter shows to be inaccurate.

During the time DBZ was being made...it's quite reasonable to say that the show was probably aiming to be action oriented with bits and sprinkles of comedy (just like in the english version), not a 100% comedy. You can watch it however you like though.
17796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Because GOKU taught us many life lessons.
32301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

zipzo wrote:
Well I would argue vehemently against the suggested idea that DBZ was meant to be satire. Dragonball Z (the show) came close to a decade before even the One Piece and Naruto Manga, so I find your comparison to the latter shows to be inaccurate.

During the time DBZ was being made...it's quite reasonable to say that the show was probably aiming to be action oriented with bits and sprinkles of comedy (just like in the english version), not a 100% comedy. You can watch it however you like though.


.. the author of the series was quite clear on his intention... When Dragonball came out in Japan were you even born?
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

Arsenette wrote:


zipzo wrote:
Well I would argue vehemently against the suggested idea that DBZ was meant to be satire. Dragonball Z (the show) came close to a decade before even the One Piece and Naruto Manga, so I find your comparison to the latter shows to be inaccurate.

During the time DBZ was being made...it's quite reasonable to say that the show was probably aiming to be action oriented with bits and sprinkles of comedy (just like in the english version), not a 100% comedy. You can watch it however you like though.


.. the author of the series was quite clear on his intention... When Dragonball came out in Japan were you even born?


Dragonball and Dragonball Z have two entirely different types of focus. They are two different shows (because we're discussing the anime, are we not?).

I was not born when the Dragonball manga began printing, but I don't see how my age is at all relevant, nor the Dragonball manga. Do you just like reminding yourself that you're getting old?
14038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Valvalia
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Because of Yamcha
15899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Online
Posted 7/9/13
Honestly, because it was just awesome.
32301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

zipzo wrote:
Dragonball and Dragonball Z have two entirely different types of focus. They are two different shows (because we're discussing the anime, are we not?).

I was not born when the Dragonball manga began printing, but I don't see how my age is at all relevant, nor the Dragonball manga. Do you just like reminding yourself that you're getting old?


No you are trying to speak of authority that it was not a satire when it clearly it was. Well beyond the names being jokes http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Origins_of_character_names and the premise being a satire from the start.. it was clear to everyone who imported the VHS of the anime as it ran in Japan that it was a joke on the entire shoenen genre. It was the entire appeal of the series for the generation growing up in Japan and those here in the USA who imported it for THAT reason alone. Saying you think something was being marketed one way when you are speaking to someone who was very much alive and importing the show is insulting. I asked if you were even born because I'm speaking from experience and you are speaking from blind love of a series that was dubbed for you when you were a kid. The purpose of the thread is to explain why DBZ was a phenomenon.. I was part of that phenomenon and those are my reasons. Toriyama was friggin' brilliant poking fun at the very genre that was printed his stuff and made it into movies and anime. The sanitized American version had a completely different feel and very much a different demographic. My nephews loved it because it was action based but it was devoid of all the jokes that made it famous in Japan. 2 different experiences because the content was so altered.
20033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Massachusetts, Un...
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
It wasn't a little pansy show, but it could still appeal to adults as well as kids at the same time. That's why.
71902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Ruining peoples day. The original Japanese dubbing of the infamous episode where the "over 9000!!!" meme actually said 8000.

I killed the souls of a thousand kittens.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

Arsenette wrote:


zipzo wrote:
Dragonball and Dragonball Z have two entirely different types of focus. They are two different shows (because we're discussing the anime, are we not?).

I was not born when the Dragonball manga began printing, but I don't see how my age is at all relevant, nor the Dragonball manga. Do you just like reminding yourself that you're getting old?


No you are trying to speak of authority that it was not a satire when it clearly it was. Well beyond the names being jokes http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Origins_of_character_names and the premise being a satire from the start.. it was clear to everyone who imported the VHS of the anime as it ran in Japan that it was a joke on the entire shoenen genre. It was the entire appeal of the series for the generation growing up in Japan and those here in the USA who imported it for THAT reason alone. Saying you think something was being marketed one way when you are speaking to someone who was very much alive and importing the show is insulting. I asked if you were even born because I'm speaking from experience and you are speaking from blind love of a series that was dubbed for you when you were a kid. The purpose of the thread is to explain why DBZ was a phenomenon.. I was part of that phenomenon and those are my reasons. Toriyama was friggin' brilliant poking fun at the very genre that was printed his stuff and made it into movies and anime. The sanitized American version had a completely different feel and very much a different demographic. My nephews loved it because it was action based but it was devoid of all the jokes that made it famous in Japan. 2 different experiences because the content was so altered.


You're doing nothing to dissect my authoritative stance by battering me with your own entitled authority.

Importing the old VHS tapes of the series doesn't make you more enlightened in this conversation. I think it's pretty safe to say that the OP speaks English, and it is probably referring to the English version because that was the one that was taking the USA by storm back in the years he described. That being said, it's irrelevant the way the original Japanese aired show was intended to be marketed, as market trend and desire bent the original intention.

You're implying that the English version was worse than the original, but this thread is purportedly hinged on the discussion of how the English version took anime watchers by storm. DBZ wouldn't have been nearly as big if it had been brought over to foreign English speaking countries without its famous dub. If anything the modifications they made to the show converting it to English were genius, as it was absolutely key to the gratuitous success it experienced as a show, on american networks especially.
32301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

zipzo wrote:
You're doing nothing to dissect my authoritative stance by battering me with your own entitled authority.

Importing the old VHS tapes of the series doesn't make you more enlightened in this conversation. I think it's pretty safe to say that the OP speaks English, and it is probably referring to the English version because that was the one that was taking the USA by storm back in the years he described. That being said, it's irrelevant the way the original Japanese aired show was intended to be marketed, as market trend and desire bent the original intention.

You're implying that the English version was worse than the original, but this thread is purportedly hinged on the discussion of how the English version took anime watchers by storm. DBZ wouldn't have been nearly as big if it had been brought over to foreign English speaking countries without its famous dub. If anything the modifications they made to the show converting it to English were genius, as it was absolutely key to the gratuitous success it experienced as a show, on american networks especially.


.. sigh.. history lesson which is why I mentioned WHY it was important you learn it. I WAS answering the question.


cloud360 wrote:

About 15-20 years ago Dragon Ball Z was so popular, even casual anime watchers and people who dont even know what aniem was loved it.

If I went an asked my friends if they know what anime or manga is, straight away they talk about dragon ball Z.

I would say it is more famous than Naruto or One Piece.

Also what made it so successful? And why cant other anime's emulate its success


OP asked about my experience 15-20 years ago and why it was so big. zipzo you weren't alive for that so I was explaining how it worked in real time for us as it happened. The whole point of this thread was to explain why it was so big and how to duplicate it. Through the hard work and dedication of MY generation keep importing anime by any means necessary and raising the profile of anime to a whole new generation we got shows here that would have never seen the light of day otherwise. Broadcasters finally started to see the untapped potential of this craze "Japanimation" and started to bring shows they thought would fit nicely in their lineups. When it got here they had to change A LOT just to get past the censors. http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_%28anime%29 That said you already had a huge fanbase that imported the show and saw how the original was and understood and accepted it's premise right off the bat. Once it hit the USA it turned into something else different. It wasn't worse.. it was different. A whole new generation loved the show for completely DIFFERENT reasons. We are also a country of 250 million people. When something hits big it hits big by sheer volume of numbers. Heck look at Pokemon and how that grew to be "bigger" here because of the sheer numbers while it's still more popular in Japan by longevity alone (and the fact that they still have free pokemon at stores even in 2013 when the craze here pretty much has died down). So to complement the phenomenon you had my generation that brought it into light by importing the VHS in mass numbers that brought it to THIS country on network first then the fledgling Cartoon network later then back on to network again. Those of us who knew it before it came here we saw it as satire. Those who came afterward and saw that genre for the very first time (even though that genre existed for decades in Japan already) we had our view on it. Dismissing our view because it doesn't fit yours is counterproductive and does nothing to explain the phenomenon.

As for how it can be duplicated.. it .. can't. That was a very specific phenomenon that's already opened the doors to other shonen shows to follow.. like Bleach and Naruto. It was "the first". It's nearly impossible to have another "first". All will be compared to the predecessors.. Things like Yamato 2199 having a resurgence (due almost entirely to nostalgia), Sailor Moon on the horizon and Pokemon for that generation. Since the anime crash of the early 2000's the television industry has pretty much abandoned the anime market. Now it's back to niche again and those of us supporting things like Toonami to try to bring back the glory days. I don't believe we will ever get back to that, however once you open the bottle you can't put the genie back in. Anime is here to stay.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Nothing in his post indicates he is directly addressing you or asking for your specific experience . He's talking about the Dragonball Z's success overall (and relatively implied, its dub).

Your higher than thou cander based on my age is insufferable for conversation though, so I'm just going to pretend like you know what you're talking about.
32301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

zipzo wrote:

Nothing in his post indicates he is directly addressing you or asking for your specific experience . He's talking about the Dragonball Z's success overall (and relatively implied, its dub).

Your higher than thou cander based on my age is insufferable for conversation though, so I'm just going to pretend like you know what you're talking about.


I'm sorry. I mistakenly thought this was a discussion thread.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.