First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Why was Dragon Ball Z so popular
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

Arsenette wrote:


zipzo wrote:

Nothing in his post indicates he is directly addressing you or asking for your specific experience . He's talking about the Dragonball Z's success overall (and relatively implied, its dub).

Your higher than thou cander based on my age is insufferable for conversation though, so I'm just going to pretend like you know what you're talking about.


I'm sorry. I mistakenly thought this was a discussion thread.


It definitely is a discussion. One that you've misdirected...

You brought up how the original show was "ruined" as it was converted to English, but the whole reason the show became a world wide phenomenon was because of that. Foreign love for the series played a huge part in DBZ's massive success as a franchise. This is not an opinion that is dimly obscured by the year in which I was born, it's plain and simple fact to anybody who takes any amount of time to study the history of the series.

No amount of your buying the old VHS imports of the original show can change fact, nor does it entitle you to a more legitimate opinion on it.

The original Japanese version is different from what a majority of non-Japanese folks ended up seeing. Yes. This is a given. This is actually true for a lot of shows, not just DBZ. However, the English release is intrinsically tied to the widespread success of the series.

Not quite sure how else I could state it before I start feeling like a broken record...
1995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Right show at the right time I guess, back then it was something different that everyone wanted a piece of. Also it was shown on many mainstream channels where it got exposed to lots of different viewers who were not necessarily anime fans. However, now a days I doubt any anime will get that popular again as there is virtually no anime promotion on TV in much of the western world so anime only tends to become popular now around those who look for it.

I doubt even popular shows now like Attack On Titan will ever be able to become that popular among non anime viewers like DBZ did
42343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
I seem to remember an anecdote I read in an old anime magazine about DBZ. Toriyama was at the end of Dragonball, during the Budoukai Tournament. All he heard from the fans were that they loved the tournaments where the main characters would battle each other with their super-moves. They didn't seem to care about his take on the Monkey King story, which was the focus of Dragonball. They just wanted the tournament fights. So, when he continued the series, he decided to just make it one long tournament/fight scene, and we got Dragonball Z.
34353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

zipzo wrote:
It definitely is a discussion. One that you've misdirected...

You brought up how the original show was "ruined" as it was converted to English, but the whole reason the show became a world wide phenomenon was because of that. Foreign love for the series played a huge part in DBZ's massive success as a franchise. This is not an opinion that is dimly obscured by the year in which I was born, it's plain and simple fact to anybody who takes any amount of time to study the history of the series.

No amount of your buying the old VHS imports of the original show can change fact, nor does it entitle you to a more legitimate opinion on it.

The original Japanese version is different from what a majority of non-Japanese folks ended up seeing. Yes. This is a given. This is actually true for a lot of shows, not just DBZ. However, the English release is intrinsically tied to the widespread success of the series.

Not quite sure how else I could state it before I start feeling like a broken record...


Quote me once when I said it was ruined.

2nd. Ignoring the history of how it got here and what happened when it got here in a discussion thread on why it happened and how it could be duplicated is nothing more than asinine. You can't just ignore the history. Feel free to live off a wiki instead of getting the first hand experience of someone who lived THROUGH it. The point of it was to explain how it can't happen again today. How it got here. WHY it got here and how when it came here it blew up into what it was when it got here and how it can happen again. The purpose of explaining the obvious portion of your age is because you weren't there. I was. It's as simple as that. It's not my fault you took offense to the obvious. YOU WEREN'T THERE. Geez. It's like arguing with someone over what happened during the JFK assassination to someone who was standing along the streets or watching on television as it happened live before their eyes.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

Arsenette wrote:


zipzo wrote:
It definitely is a discussion. One that you've misdirected...

You brought up how the original show was "ruined" as it was converted to English, but the whole reason the show became a world wide phenomenon was because of that. Foreign love for the series played a huge part in DBZ's massive success as a franchise. This is not an opinion that is dimly obscured by the year in which I was born, it's plain and simple fact to anybody who takes any amount of time to study the history of the series.

No amount of your buying the old VHS imports of the original show can change fact, nor does it entitle you to a more legitimate opinion on it.

The original Japanese version is different from what a majority of non-Japanese folks ended up seeing. Yes. This is a given. This is actually true for a lot of shows, not just DBZ. However, the English release is intrinsically tied to the widespread success of the series.

Not quite sure how else I could state it before I start feeling like a broken record...


Quote me once when I said it was ruined.

2nd. Ignoring the history of how it got here and what happened when it got here in a discussion thread on why it happened and how it could be duplicated is nothing more than asinine. You can't just ignore the history. Feel free to live off a wiki instead of getting the first hand experience of someone who lived THROUGH it. The point of it was to explain how it can't happen again today. How it got here. WHY it got here and how when it came here it blew up into what it was when it got here and how it can happen again. The purpose of explaining the obvious portion of your age is because you weren't there. I was. It's as simple as that. It's not my fault you took offense to the obvious. YOU WEREN'T THERE. Geez. It's like arguing with someone over what happened during the JFK assassination to someone who was standing along the streets or watching on television as it happened live before their eyes.


And yet there are likely more than a handful of bright minds alive today who know more about the specifics of JFK's shooting than people who were there. Simply being present for something doesn't make you the leading brain on a subject. There's things like common sense, research, and trends.

Get it? I'll say it again...

Not being alive for the beginning of Dragonball's manga print is irrelevant to Dragonball Z(the show)'s worldwide success. Dragonball Z's success is tied to its English dub.

He wanted to know the why. It's in his thread title. I'll tell you the why. Its' amazing English dub is why, and guess what, I was alive for that, I even watched it as it aired too! I'm not saying the series wasn't popular before the dub happened, but the franchise really lifted off the ground once the series went worldwide.

This isn't some kind of experience that is impossible to fathom unless you were there, like if we were talking about the holocaust or being near the WTC in New York on September 11th. This is plain ol'e production value and market trends.

A closer analogy would be that this is more like arguing the fine specifics & details of a scientific theory (me) with someone who sucks at scientific theorem (you) even though you were alive when the theory was birthed.
34353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

zipzo wrote:
snip


Its obvious you don't give a damn about other's opinions but your own. I did explain how it got big here in the USA and explained the circumstances behind how it got here. More importantly why it wont' ever happen again. The conditions no longer exist for that kind of phenomenon to repeat itself. But you spent more time attacking me for the fact that you were too young to understand the circumstances behind the phenomenon that happened when you were a toddler.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 7/9/13 , edited 7/9/13

Arsenette wrote:


zipzo wrote:
snip


Its obvious you don't give a damn about other's opinions but your own. I did explain how it got big here in the USA and explained the circumstances behind how it got here. More importantly why it wont' ever happen again. The conditions no longer exist for that kind of phenomenon to repeat itself. But you spent more time attacking me for the fact that you were too young to understand the circumstances behind the phenomenon that happened when you were a toddler.


The conditions easily exist for such a thing to happen not just again, but countless amounts of times moving forward in to the future. It happens almost every season with clothing, or every year with pop-stars...so on and so forth. There's absolutely no reason why it can't happen again. We call them trends. I may not be qualified to give you a history lesson but you could sure use a vocabulary refresher.
34353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

zipzo wrote:
The conditions easily exist for such a thing to happen not just again, but countless amounts of times moving forward in to the future. It happens almost every season with clothing, or every year with pop-stars...so on and so forth. There's absolutely no reason why it can't happen again. We call them trends. I may not be qualified to give you a history lesson but you could sure use a vocabulary refresher.


I disagree that it can happen again. Anime as a genre is not new anymore and the television market has abandoned anime after the crash in the 2000's. Gone is the "oh what is this" that existed during that time period. No one had seen a show like that up until that point. Kids during that time period had a completely different set of shows that were regularly airing on television. That's why history is so important. You can't recreate something that's already happened. Look at SAO. It was HUGE in Japan.. it will arrive here in the USA dubbed but showing overnight in Toonami because there is no other place to show it. Only the hardcore will know of it's existence until August and even then only the hardcore are supporting Toonami. Unless the television industry does a complete about face we will never see the DBZ phenomenon duplicate itself. The market has changed. DBZ was big because it was on after school during dinnertime for those who only watched network TV and eventually those who supported Toonami during it's first run. We just don't have that anymore.
66790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ???????? ?? ?????
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
What other show was there back then that took 15 episodes to cover 5 minutes of time?
12226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Simple characters, plot, motives... Oh and bright colors...
19058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Maan, back in the days I thought this was the greatest anime ever made. Of course I only watched like 4 other animes. Great childhood memories.. But now after I seen like over 200 titles its not even on my top 30.

I guess it was accessible, easy to get into.. Right show at the right time. Americans totally got into it. Had yuyu hakusho been dubbed and sent to cartoon network or we before dragon ball I think thada been big as well. So much mainstream success.

abdulr 
13726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Vancouver, Britis...
Online
Posted 7/9/13
When I was watching dbz for the first time they aired 2 back to back episodes Mon-Thurs, and once back to back when they aired it again. It was edited and it was the ocean dub so it didn't really drag on.

Why it was good to a kid like me: The bright colours, the simple plot, the fun and evil characters, the cool settings, the morals, the hair, transformation, laser beams, the feeling of crisis when our very planet was in danger, the comedy, the fact that time passes and characters got older, it aired often, it was the only show my mom liked to watch with me, and of course the over the top action.
24252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / US
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Large scale battles, scifi, travels to distant planets, cool good guys, questionable bad guys, overall fun. I even had a favorite character, which is Piccolo. Even though he doesn't turn SS, he can lay down a serious beating and out think any problem he runs into. What's not to like? Also, it was something most people could watch with the whole family. It's one of the #1 known anime to introduce someone to as well as a family member. That's how I got my parents into getting me to watch other anime. If it wasn't for DBZ, I 'd probably be looked at funny by my parents if I mentioned any other anime. Which one you'd think you would have a better chance of getting people with young children to watch, DBZ or Girls Bravo?
zesire 
30578 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / florida
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
Dragon Ball Z the fanboy Story!!
HEre is my Story right here I made it for this thread!
-Zig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i69w12tLZI
192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/9/13
It was popular because at the time it was new. As far as I know, nobody had ever seen people shooting lasers and earth-shattering attacks, except Fist of The North Star. And now every action based animated program has some level of DBZ influence.......By the way, watching Man Of Steel has given me hope for a PROPER DBZ movie.......
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.