First  Prev  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next  Last
Post Reply Gatchaman Crowds
75439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 9/13/13
I think those guys are tied to OD some how. There was a scene where he was surrounded by them so I think it's a manifestation of his power.
10227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

Greylurker wrote:

I think those guys are tied to OD some how. There was a scene where he was surrounded by them so I think it's a manifestation of his power.


We see them in th first episode. They handle the prisoners and aliens the Gatchaman capture among other things. They seem to act as servants of some sort.

I wonder if what Pai-Pai said to the Prime Minister has sunk in. I love that such secondary characters actually have a role in the story, people like the kindergarden kids, Umeda, Hajime's club friends and the Prime Minister make the story more about people than just superheroes.

I haven't liked a show this much in years.
59770 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 9/13/13
Utsutsu rocked. Pai Pai developed a backbone. And plenty of action.

Hajime has some plan in her head. She's definitely testing Katze in some way, I just don't know what it is yet.

Did I mention Utsutsu? Dreamy.
36987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

AmazingStef wrote:

I haven't liked a show this much in years.




TImes a million man >< It's just stunning!


~~~

The bit with Jo was really cheesy but also utterly great. His work fanclub were a great plus ;D

~~~

Storywise, I think Grey has hit it pretty much on the head, that seems to be the way they're going.

That being said, I *Still* don't think the final victory is going to be by them just roiding out and beating up Katze, I'm just not feeling it...


Well excepting OD. I still think that's going to be the real finale, dealing with the effects of whatever OD spreading his wings does.
Banned
15159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 9/13/13
anyone ever wonder what MESS-chan is going to do about all of this?? hehe
36987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

Compl3te wrote:

anyone ever wonder what MESS-chan is going to do about all of this?? hehe


That... is a brilliant idea. You, sir, inspire me!
32762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/13
So here I am on ep. 10, thanks windsagio for beating me over the head

My earlier thoughts about social media and this show were more or less right. I'm really liking where it has all gone and how each of the characters find resolve when relflecting on the situation they are in. I'm glad Pai finally pulled his balls out off his purse.

The only thing that still bugs me is how they deliver Hajime's character, it's so over the top it becomes annoying. I've learned to live with it because the show has so many other redeeming qualities. Count me as a fan now.
Banned
15159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 9/13/13 , edited 9/13/13

salinas0731 wrote:

So here I am on ep. 10, thanks windsagio for beating me over the head

My earlier thoughts about social media and this show were more or less right. I'm really liking where it has all gone and how each of the characters find resolve when relflecting on the situation they are in. I'm glad Pai finally pulled his balls out off his purse.

The only thing that still bugs me is how they deliver Hajime's character, it's so over the top it becomes annoying. I've learned to live with it because the show has so many other redeeming qualities. Count me as a fan now.


there was a part in a previous episode, maybe the last, where Hajime was preaching about having fun that almost made me punch my monitor. so, yes! I do get it. to think in the end her personality will come unfolding, or maybe they won't tie the knot in defining this character. I write this at the bar but I think about this anime a lot... on the other hand, I have known ONE person who is through and through, packed full if energy, smiling, optimistic life an it's a real person. so, they do exist and sometimes they do get on your nerves for being the best in all of us.
36987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

Compl3te wrote:


salinas0731 wrote:

So here I am on ep. 10, thanks windsagio for beating me over the head

My earlier thoughts about social media and this show were more or less right. I'm really liking where it has all gone and how each of the characters find resolve when relflecting on the situation they are in. I'm glad Pai finally pulled his balls out off his purse.

The only thing that still bugs me is how they deliver Hajime's character, it's so over the top it becomes annoying. I've learned to live with it because the show has so many other redeeming qualities. Count me as a fan now.


there was a part in a previous episode, maybe the last, where Hajime was preaching about having fun that almost made me punch my monitor. so, yes! I do get it. to think in the end her personality will come unfolding, or maybe they won't tie the knot in defining this character. I write this at the bar but I think about this anime a lot... on the other hand, I have known ONE person who is through and through, packed full if energy, smiling, optimistic life an it's a real person. so, they do exist and sometimes they do get on your nerves for being the best in all of us.


Booster that I am, I admit I was thinking a bit of that too, her ideas about how to deal with things are a little insane sometimes ><

"Ugly real-life-posting cyber-harassment? Oh yeah you can totally just turn that off! That's exactly how the world works!"

Sugune is my favorite character hands down. He's by far grown and learned the most... and (with some help from Hajime, natch) he's growing into a real inspirational hero.

And unlike Hajime he's a bit more realistic. He has suspicions and doubts and fears, but just really really really wants to do the right thing :D

PS: SOrry for harassing you salinas, glad it worked out okay tho :D:D:D:D
32762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

Compl3te wrote:
there was a part in a previous episode, maybe the last, where Hajime was preaching about having fun that almost made me punch my monitor. so, yes! I do get it. to think in the end her personality will come unfolding, or maybe they won't tie the knot in defining this character. I write this at the bar but I think about this anime a lot... on the other hand, I have known ONE person who is through and through, packed full if energy, smiling, optimistic life an it's a real person. so, they do exist and sometimes they do get on your nerves for being the best in all of us.


Those sunshine, rainbow spouting ppl should just leave me in my gloom

I don't hate what Hajime stands for (thinking outside yourself and empathizing with ppl) but the delivery is completely wrong and should come down a few notches.

I can't say I've known someone who was like that 100% of the time, just 95% probably, but I could imagine I'd be rolling my eyes a lot around him/her.
32762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

windsagio wrote:

PS: SOrry for harassing you salinas, glad it worked out okay tho :D:D:D:D


You're not sorry, it was all a part of your master plan :P

Seriously tho, it was nice to have someone engage me about the show because I may have dropped it and missed out.
22903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

windsagio wrote:
"Ugly real-life-posting cyber-harassment? Oh yeah you can totally just turn that off! That's exactly how the world works!"


I kinda feel bad about singling this one thing out, but I actually do agree with Hajime. It can work like that. We are all (myself included) so glued to our computers and internet that we go through withdrawals without it. I think it is really beautiful how she can make such a clear division in her life between the internet and her real life. GALAX, in many ways, blurs those lines, but she some how has struck a marvelous balance. And really, for someone with as much self confidence as Hajime, just turning it off is a valid option. Just because that's her chosen method doesn't mean it doesn't sting her a bit. But her outlook seems to be, "If it's mean stuff from people I shouldn't care about, there's no reason to keeping seeing it."


salinas0731 wrote:


Compl3te wrote:
there was a part in a previous episode, maybe the last, where Hajime was preaching about having fun that almost made me punch my monitor. so, yes! I do get it. to think in the end her personality will come unfolding, or maybe they won't tie the knot in defining this character. I write this at the bar but I think about this anime a lot... on the other hand, I have known ONE person who is through and through, packed full if energy, smiling, optimistic life an it's a real person. so, they do exist and sometimes they do get on your nerves for being the best in all of us.


Those sunshine, rainbow spouting ppl should just leave me in my gloom

I don't hate what Hajime stands for (thinking outside yourself and empathizing with ppl) but the delivery is completely wrong and should come down a few notches.

I can't say I've known someone who was like that 100% of the time, just 95% probably, but I could imagine I'd be rolling my eyes a lot around him/her.


I actually love the way Hajime's character is delivered. I don't think she was ever meant to be a super well-rounded character. She's sort of a symbol, like the essence of positivity (eww, what a disgustingly trite way to put that-but I can't come up with anything else at the moment). She is larger than life, more positive than anyone ever could really be (sort of like Minori from Toradora!, except minus the personal issues Minori has). I mean, Gatchaman Crowds is a superhero anime, even if it is deconstructing a lot of cliches and archetypes. And superheros are by definition more than simple humans. So, as a symbolic character, I really like the way they've done the delivery of her character. (But I can TOTALLY understand why she rubs some people the wrong way.) I just don't think she is necessarily meant to be realistic.
75439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 9/13/13

iblessall

I actually love the way Hajime's character is delivered. I don't think she was ever meant to be a super well-rounded character. She's sort of a symbol, like the essence of positivity (eww, what a disgustingly trite way to put that-but I can't come up with anything else at the moment). She is larger than life, more positive than anyone ever could really be (sort of like Minori from Toradora!, except minus the personal issues Minori has). I mean, Gatchaman Crowds is a superhero anime, even if it is deconstructing a lot of cliches and archetypes. And superheros are by definition more than simple humans. So, as a symbolic character, I really like the way they've done the delivery of her character. (But I can TOTALLY understand why she rubs some people the wrong way.) I just don't think she is necessarily meant to be realistic.


Almost makes you think that's why she can't see Katze.

He's the opposite, he's all negative and mean and feeding off the worst in people.

His confrontation with Umeda is dead on perfect example of it "I just needed someone who hates the world, I don't really care what happens after that."
32762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 9/14/13
Y'all going deep so early in the morning, at least early for me (3am)
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 9/14/13
Like I stated earlier in this thread, Hajime's personality is reasonable given her position in the cast, and her apparent and likely importance to the finale...but that doesn't really make it any less irritating.

It's a charming point to her for the most part, but also as stated, it sometimes instills this sense that she has a lack of urgency or consideration for what is going on around her. Sure it's not like she can wave a magic wand and make everything, or that being gloomy and pouting about the situation will do anything at all to help...but I think positivity is something that, no matter where and what we're doing even in real life...demands a bit of throttling. Arbitrary positivity is actually something most people will find annoying in a person.

Ibless, you mention Minori from Toradora, which would actually be a great comparison if not for exactly the reason you mentioned...she has personal issues. These personal issues become a huge part of the series, which puts her in a different category than Hajime almost immediately. We know nothing about Hajime except that she doesn't seem to care that she's obnoxious and gratingly bubbly all the time. No past. No history with any of the characters. They haven't given us anything. That's actually sort of a criticism I have on this anime as well. Sometimes shows just don't use flashbacks and that's fine, but if you're not going to use flashbacks to do any character building you have to do it well outside of flashbacks, in the "now" of the show and unfortunately I believe Hajime to have probably some of the worst character building of any protagonist this season.

When you read that at first you might think "Ooooh no way" but just try to think about it for a second. She's been absolutely static from episode 1. She hasn't learned or changed her perception/mindset of anything in any meaningful way. She has just been the same Hajime, from episode to episode. Her personality being endearing, at first it will cover it up, and quite well because she's an interestingly 'different' character with a lot of nuances to her that are not common in most shows, so it takes you a few episodes to really take her all in. Once you progress past that though, it's pretty easy to notice that she is about as static and boring as they come. Absolutely one dimensional.

I do not like what they did with Jou's character in this series. Initially he's a pretty cool character, mysterious and brooding, but after that single fight with Katze he turned in to a big whiney-emo bitch for the past few episodes and to me it just didn't seem characteristic of his archetype, in a bad way. I'm not saying it's bad for them to step outside the box with character writing, but if they're going to do so, they shouldn't do so by keeping the character in a box. Have him do something unpredictable, not just avoid doing anything.

The best characterization in this series is probably a tie between Rui and Sugane, with the scale probably tipping in to the Rui's favor - but not at the expense of anything Sugane is lacking. Rui has just had more screen time. We've seen their ups, we've seen their downs, Sugane has changed his way of thinking even though it's not like he was ever approaching things wrong. He opened up his mind a little bit. Rui is just a rainbow of things, you'd have to have been watching the show blindfolded to not see how he is easily the most complex and intricately written character in the show. Hajime? Not so much. Her only gimmick is that she's super happy all the time and has a ridiculous accent.

All this being said the most recent episode was pretty awesome, for reasons that don't even need to be stated.
First  Prev  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.