First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply George Zimmerman - Not Guilty
10041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Prescott Valley,AZ
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
We got a whole bunch of legal eagles here /sarcasm

George Zimmerman is innocent he got out of his truck to see which direction Trevon Martin went after asked by the cops which way he went

He was doing neighborhood watch because of a rash of recent property thefts

Trevon Martin attacked George Zimmerman and he got shot in self defense

Media blew this whole situation out of proportion

Jury's are groups of 12
208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
IN contrast:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

This lady got 20 years in jail -- for shooting warning shots.
9009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/13 , edited 7/14/13

Morbidhanson wrote:

Everyone is racist to some extent lol

People who say they aren't are full of it. Judging something quickly based on appearance is something required for survival. We've just managed to tone it down a bit but it will never go away.


*Just my own feedback after reading your comments*

"Just one person" if everybody stands up for what they believe in - we can actually make a positive impact to society in creating a better justice system. You may not realize that it affects you at the moment, but it truly is an issue that would pertain to you assuming you live in the U.S. Laws can be made, changed, if people make an effort into putting it into action.

"Unnamed thousands perish every day and nobody makes a big deal about it. And then there is suddenly this person with a name in the same country and people eat it all up like a bunch of sheep. Mourn for everyone or don't mourn at all." - I agree with you to a certain extent, that this situation was highly publicized but his case touched people because it wasn't justified and it can happen to anyone, the information given (ex. Zimmerman having previous MMA experience) people were obviously intrigued to why he wasn't immediately arrested for murder.

"Ultimately, you are not a person with a direct connection to any part of the court case and you could have not known about it and wouldn't affect the way you live. " - It can happen to your neighbours, it can happen to your friends, family, anyone who happens to be walking home in the middle of the night and happens to bump into someone that has authority as a 'neighbourhood watcher'. You would obviously want justice to be served and have the criminal face the charges that they deserve.

This is just my opinion, I barely watched the news, and I never talked about it in any social media before this post- I honestly just wanted to push my point across that it's completely rational and human nature for everyone to be flipping out. At the end of the day, a young man died and for the sake of his parents seeking out for their sons life to not be in vain the jury should have pleaded him guilty.
1161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/13 , edited 7/14/13

KyuuA4 wrote:

IN contrast:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

This lady got 20 years in jail -- for shooting warning shots.


After retriving the gun from her car.

Which brings up the question, if she was able to get the gun from her car, why did she went back to fire the warning shot instead of driving away?

You know, I bet you that you're about as good as a fact checker as the guy/girl who did the whole Flight 214 crew name.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is the news video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUaMst1Dcso

Edit:

_blas wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

Everyone is racist to some extent lol

People who say they aren't are full of it. Judging something quickly based on appearance is something required for survival. We've just managed to tone it down a bit but it will never go away.


"Just one person" if everybody stands up for what they believe in - we can actually make a positive impact to society in creating a better justice system. You may not realize that it affects you at the moment, but it truly is an issue that would pertain to you assuming you live in the U.S. Laws can be made, rejected, if people make an effort into putting it into action.

"Unnamed thousands perish every day and nobody makes a big deal about it. And then there is suddenly this person with a name in the same country and people eat it all up like a bunch of sheep. Mourn for everyone or don't mourn at all." - I agree with you to a certain extent, that this situation was highly publicized but his case touched people because it wasn't justified and it can happen to anyone, the information given (ex. Zimmerman having previous MMA experience) people were obviously intrigued to why he wasn't immediately arrested for murder.

"Ultimately, you are not a person with a direct connection to any part of the court case and you could have not known about it and wouldn't affect the way you live. " - It can happen to your neighbours, it can happen to your friends, family, anyone who happens to be walking home in the middle of the night and happens to bump into someone that has authority as a 'neighbourhood watcher'. You would obviously want justice to be served and have the criminal face the charges that they deserve.

This is just my opinion, I barely watched the news, and I never talked about it in any social media before this post- I honestly just wanted to push my point across that it's completely rational and human nature for everyone to be flipping out. At the end of the day, a young man died and for the sake of his parents seeking redemption the jury should have pleaded him guilty.


Holy emotion-based rant.
27817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

wolfyakakunsman wrote:

We got a whole bunch of legal eagles here /sarcasm

George Zimmerman is innocent he got out of his truck to see which direction Trevon Martin went after asked by the cops which way he went

He was doing neighborhood watch because of a rash of recent property thefts

Trevon Martin attacked George Zimmerman and he got shot in self defense

Media blew this whole situation out of proportion

Jury's are groups of 12


Your knowledge of the case is impressive. It almost makes me believe you know what you are talking about.

First, his name is Trayvon.

Second, there was no proof or evidence supporting when exactly Zimmerman got out of his car or why. it was only speculation that it could have been that reason but even after listening to the call it wasn't confirmed.

Martin being killed in self defense is just one way to see it. Personally, viewing it from Trayvons perspective I could easily see him being scared and feeling threatened by an unknown man following him on a rainy night for no reason. Knowing I wasn't armed but having no idea if the other person is or not or even knowing what fighting experience the unknown person has I would most definitely use whatever advantage I could to remove that threat. Zimmerman also probably felt threatened once he was on the ground losing the fight though. But he obviously wasn't afraid for his life prior to that or he wouldn't get out of the vehicle.

Media blows everything out of proportion. I never considered this an issue as they made it out to be exactly.

Finally, he had a jury of 6 women. There were not 12 jurors.
1053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/13 , edited 7/14/13
That case is just mental masturbation for the sheep that want think justice was barely raped right now while our country is raping our rights and decaying rapidly

23138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / California (Nor C...
Offline
Posted 7/14/13 , edited 7/14/13
I thought the defense was bad in the beginning with their stupid knock knock opening lol. But man prosecution f'ed it up..witnesses, including their experts..assisted the defense lol.. I wonder if things would have turned out differently or gone differently if the prosecution just went with manslaughter charge at the beginning, and not trying to salvage what they could at the end. Why bring up 3rd degree murder when the case is winding down..oh that's right..too much doubt to make the 2nd degree murder stick.. And the judge telling the Jury to think about manslaughter too ...she probably knew it too.

He should have been charged with something..but 2nd degree murder hard to prove with that situation..did they gather their information/evidence correctly? Manslaughter is a nice 30 yrs+...but i guess they wanted life and make an example out of him.
531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
114 / F / Candy Land
Offline
Posted 7/14/13 , edited 7/14/13

TheJudged wrote:


KyuuA4 wrote:

IN contrast:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

This lady got 20 years in jail -- for shooting warning shots.


After retriving the gun from her car.

Which brings up the question, if she was able to get the gun from her car, why did she went back to fire the warning shot instead of driving away?

You know, I bet you that you're about as good as a fact checker as the guy/girl who did the whole Flight 214 crew name.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is the news video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUaMst1Dcso


"She tried to flee out the garage, but the garage door mechanism was broken, leaving her cornered in the dark without a cell phone or keys to her truck. She got her (licensed and concealed-carry permitted) gun from her glove compartment and re-entered the home, expecting that Gray and her two stepsons might have left. She discovered that Gray and the stepsons hadn't left, and when he charged at her and said, "Bitch, I will kill you," she fired a warning shot angled up and away from him. He then ran out with his kids and called the police, claiming that she had shot at him and his sons."

"there are disputes about significant facts in the case, including whether Alexander could have escaped out the garage instead of getting her gun and returning to the house; Gray said he "knew she couldn't leave out the garage door because the garage door was locked" in his November 2010 deposition"

"Marissa, according to her statements, said she managed to get past him, and ran into the garage. But according to both her and Gray’s statements, she couldn’t get out of the house through the garage, because it was locked, and the automatic door wasn’t working. So Marissa Alexander grabbed her licensed handgun out of her car and ran back into the house"

"Judge Elizabeth Senterfitt, a former prosecutor, said Alexander could have found some other way to flee the home. This despite the fact that the Stand Your Ground law states that those who feel threatened have no duty to retreat."

http://gawker.com/5910700/stand-your-ground-ladies-you-have-no-ground-to-stand-on
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57434757-504083/fla-woman-marissa-alexander-gets-20-years-for-warning-shot-did-she-stand-her-ground/
http://thegrio.com/2012/04/24/marissa-alexander-angela-coreys-other-stand-your-ground-case/

Fact checking indeed.

Oh, and if anybody caught that last part, Trayvon had no duty to retreat if he felt threatened (meaning under attack) by the creepy you know the rest dude following him. Under the SYG laws he had every right to punch and even pummel the guy if he felt his life was in danger. There was enough evidence to surmise such since Trayvon's friend said she heard him say "Get off, get off" during sounds of a scuffle. Her testimony counts as part of the picture as much as anything the guy trying to get off the hook has to say, and evidence didn't discredit it. So we can say safely assume that at the very least each party here scared the life out of the other. That's the problem with these laws. How can you say one person's fear trumps the other. You can't tell a person that it's okay to defend themselves with violence if someone scares them enough and then let the person that frightened them into action claim self defense when they harm/kill them in response. Well, you can since that's exactly what just happened, but it's not just.


Suicidalducky wrote:

did they gather their information/evidence correctly?


No, evidence was not gathered correctly. That point was made over and over, particularly by the defense. Plastic bags instead of paper, not thoroughly processing the crime scene, not taking Zimmerman to the hospital and making sure his injuries weren't life threatening and consistent with his story etc. Having some doctors examine some photos of his head after the fact and say what might be possible does not make for strong evidential corroboration for any version of the events of the case.



27817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

Suicidalducky wrote:

I thought the defense was bad in the beginning with their stupid knock knock opening lol. But man prosecution f'ed it up..witnesses, including their experts..assisted the defense lol.. I wonder if things would have turned out differently or gone differently if the prosecution just went with manslaughter charge at the beginning, and not trying to salvage what they could at the end. Why bring up 3rd degree murder when the case is winding down..oh that's right..too much doubt to make the 2nd degree murder stick.. And the judge telling the Jury to think about manslaughter too ...she probably knew it too.

He should have been charged with something..but 2nd degree murder hard to prove with that situation..did they gather their information/evidence correctly? Manslaughter is a nice 30 yrs+...but i guess they wanted life and make an example out of him.


I think it should have been manslaughter and none of the other crap they tried to throw on and I think manslaughter had a good chance but when the jurors tried to get clarification on the instructions regarding manslaughter they never got it. It's possible if they had that clarification that he would have been found guilty on at least that but now we will never know.
Posted 7/14/13
Mob mentality is fascinating to behold... I wonder when the burnings begin...
18 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
I'd say he should've got manslaughter, getting off free was a bit much. Trayvon wasn't the innocent lovely "child" the media painted him to be, nor Zimmerman the devil he was painted to be. It's a much more complex case than the media afforded it. Both sides made mistakes. Zimmerman made the biggest mistake by getting out of car- he set the whole thing up. He really screwed up there. Trayvon made a mistake by ever resorting to violence. Even in worst case scenario- even if Zimmerman was the first hit- even if he was STARTER of the altercation (not saying he was), Trayvon didn't make the right decision. He should've ran. If he ran and got shot- well, Zimmerman wouldn't be free right now.
232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

TheJudged wrote:

And you apparently have no understanding of how the real world works if you think that, if you in possession of a weapon, you wouldn't use it when you're being beaten to within an inch of your life.


Yea, beat within an inch of your life, until a medical examiner looks at your injuries and calls them 'very insignificant'.
28250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
I'm.. a bit shocked at how little the people know about the facts before expressing such strong opinions. No matter what you think of the case itself, and to be honest I will not judge you for it.. but I WILL judge those who insist racism isn't what it is today. It's a bit of a pleasant surprise that a lot of people have no experienced/seen racism first hand, but at the same time it's sad that they remain innocently ignorant. Not saying you should quit your day job and become a masked anti-racism vigilante at night, but.. being aware of things is already a weapon against racial issues.
12364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Aincrad Floor 61
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
It was a logical outcome, the state was not able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that George Zimmerman was guilty of second-degree murder. This is how the justice system works, it has always been in favor of a defendant. The only way to improve on such a system is to remove many of the checks and balances, and that can have scary implications. It was a good verdict based on how the system works and I applaud the Jury for that. They did their job well.

Now yeah, I also have a personal opinion about the case, but I'll keep that to myself.
16022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

camontour wrote:


Meghanmcmahan11 wrote:

My issue with the whole thing is why Zimmerman was able to obtain a gun to begin with. With his his history, assaulting a police office and domestic violence, he shouldn't have been able to carry a weapon at all. That really says something about the state of Florida itself.


Because none of his offenses where felonies? Last I checked, civil court orders and speeding tickets =/= felonies preventing the owning of a firearm. I can be assumed of things all day, but unless it is written down as a felony, no case.


The offence was dropped to begin with and he was only charged with resisting without violence. The cop he "assaulted" was the one to drop the charge.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.