First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Customs of your country?
43719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/16/13
I just remembered one.

In Asian culture, you pretty much have to address someone older than you as "older brother/sister" or "aunt/uncle", it's considered disrespectful to call them by their first name.


(this obviously applies only to normal situations, in situations where a person hates someone or is a non-conformist, obviously they're not going to follow this rule)
1058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/16/13
My parents lived most of their lives in france, and when I visited, I noticed if you're going to a formal dinner party at someone's house, you never pour your own drink . You're also not supposed to eat before they say ' bon appetit '
17479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 7/16/13
Usually when I go to an airport in the city the customs officers are pretty rude, the guards are cool. They know to keep people happy.

the post can be pretty bad, too.
I some times get parcels delivered with a note saying they were opened and checked by customs.
I hate when that happens.
37840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada
Offline
Posted 7/16/13

tinyd0t wrote:


Shohee wrote:

You cannot turn a fan on when you sleep. The fan must be off. ( Most of East- Asia ) . The reason(s) why is because at night the fan may go haywire and cut you til you're into pieces. Another reason , is because the fan can cut the air molecules so you won't be able to breathe and die .



The fan death is pretty much a Korean thing. I'm pretty sure Chinese and Japanese don't believe in that. And if you ever question a Korean person about it, he/she will tell you IT IS A FACT. Makes me raugh out roud everytime


Hmm my family is Chinese / Japanese :/ yet they think the same for fan death. I kid you not how many times I was told to turn it off before I slept. I suffered so much from the heat at night =[
Posted 7/16/13
In Sweden there are no shoes inside the house. Everyone has a shoe rack right inside of their front door where they put their shoes when they enter the flat or house or whatever. Swedes are also very rude people. Being rude, of course, is not considered rude. It's just how it is. I've had some friends from other countries who have been very upset at our ways when they've come here and it would always take them a very long time to get used to the way people speak to each other here.
Sogno- 
23116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/16/13
in my part of the country we say "yes" and "ma'am" and "sir" and "mr" and "ms" etc and we also close everything down if we get an inch of snow
22131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 7/16/13
In my country, you NEVER use your left hand, as it is an insult. If a kid writes with their left hand when a kid? My father did that and they forced him to use his right hand, so he knows how to work both. To add to that, you never shake with anyone either with your left.
37302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Online
Posted 7/16/13

ShiverGirl wrote:

In my country, you NEVER use your left hand, as it is an insult. If a kid writes with their left hand when a kid? My father did that and they forced him to use his right hand, so he knows how to work both. To add to that, you never shake with anyone either with your left.


Are you by chance, from Norway? It's not that bad anymore, but it sure feels like it hasn't improved much. "Luckily" for me I'm using my right hand to write, so i don't have to think about that. Some people still say "oh, you write with the "wrong" hand, do you?" to people who use their left hand. And honestly, i find it kinda rude.
22131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 7/16/13

Victoryfraud wrote:


ShiverGirl wrote:

In my country, you NEVER use your left hand, as it is an insult. If a kid writes with their left hand when a kid? My father did that and they forced him to use his right hand, so he knows how to work both. To add to that, you never shake with anyone either with your left.


Are you by chance, from Norway? It's not that bad anymore, but it sure feels like it hasn't improved much. "Luckily" for me I'm using my right hand to write, so i don't have to think about that. Some people still say "oh, you write with the "wrong" hand, do you?" to people who use their left hand. And honestly, i find it kinda rude.


Nah, I come from Nigeria. Or more like, my parents do, but I was born in the US. Nigeria is the same, except worse. It's not even a choice, you write with your left hand, unless you can afford a private American school, or foreign school in Nigeria.
37302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Online
Posted 7/16/13

ShiverGirl wrote:


Victoryfraud wrote:


ShiverGirl wrote:

In my country, you NEVER use your left hand, as it is an insult. If a kid writes with their left hand when a kid? My father did that and they forced him to use his right hand, so he knows how to work both. To add to that, you never shake with anyone either with your left.


Are you by chance, from Norway? It's not that bad anymore, but it sure feels like it hasn't improved much. "Luckily" for me I'm using my right hand to write, so i don't have to think about that. Some people still say "oh, you write with the "wrong" hand, do you?" to people who use their left hand. And honestly, i find it kinda rude.


Nah, I come from Nigeria. Or more like, my parents do, but I was born in the US. Nigeria is the same, except worse. It's not even a choice, you write with your left hand, unless you can afford a private American school, or foreign school in Nigeria.


Ah, i see. That sounds awful though, i feel even luckier that i naturally write with my right hand now.
Phersu 
33099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Existence.
Online
Posted 7/16/13
I can't really think of any American customs. Does most carnival games are rigged count?
Posted 7/16/13
saying thanks when crossing the road to driver mostly waving your hand up ....... when he lets you cross the road ........
NO ones touching my last jaffa cake ..........
if i hold door open you better hold door open to so on so on

20092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Florida, US
Offline
Posted 7/16/13
american
-don't stare at/grill others
-tipping

jamaican
-huge emphasis on acknowledging your elders
-borrowing of household items (sugar, pots/pans etc.) amongst neighbors

vietnamese (according to my gf)
-evidently, ya can't refill your plate by pulling in the dish from the center of the table when in a group
-something about lifting your bowl while eating
-refill your elders' empty cups/glasses (probably pretty prevalent in asian culture)

9325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/17/13

Shohee

Hmm my family is Chinese / Japanese :/ yet they think the same for fan death. I kid you not how many times I was told to turn it off before I slept. I suffered so much from the heat at night =[


Lol but I'm Chinese and I have lived in Macau and no one has ever said this before. Maybe it's regional difference since it's so big. However, when I visited S. Korea every one of my friend made sure I wouldn't die in their apartments (by fan death).
129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Manila, PH
Offline
Posted 7/28/13
We Filipinos love to eat and we normally invite others to share our food with us.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.