First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Noah's arc story- fact or fiction?
16753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/22/13


My question is do you think this story is fact or fiction? If you think this story is real, please explain how a vessel with dimensions as described in the bible can possibly house all those creatures?

Everybody's input is welcome, but I'm especially interested in hearing from christians who believe that the bible is the undisputed word of god how they feel this story is even possible.
43300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 7/22/13 , edited 7/22/13
A story arc is an extended or continuing storyline in episodic storytelling media such as television, comic books, comic strips, boardgames, video games, and in some cases, films. On a television program, for example, the story would unfold over many episodes. In television, the use of the story arc is much more common in dramas than in comedies, especially in soap operas. Webcomics are more likely to use story arcs than newspaper comics, as most web comics have readable archives online that a newcomer to the strip can read in order to understand what is going on. Although story arcs have existed for decades, the term "story arc" was coined in 1988 in relation to the television series Wiseguy,[1] and was quickly adapted for other uses.

Many American comic book series are now written in four or six-issue arcs, within a continuing series. Short story arcs are easier to package as trade paperbacks for resale, and more accessible to the casual reader than the never-ending continuity that once characterised comics.

Story arc usage in manga and anime

Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example, is a single story arc spanning 26 episodes. Other longer anime have multiple story arcs, such as Bleach, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. The anime Dragon Ball Z adapts four different story arcs from the Dragon Ball manga, each with its own ultimate antagonist, along with original story arcs created for the TV series.

Manga and anime are usually good examples of arc-based stories, to the point that most series shorter than 26 chapters are a single arc spanning all the chapters. This makes syndication difficult, as episodes watched in isolation often end up confusing viewers unless watched in conjunction with the series as a whole. Series of 30 chapters or longer usually have multiple arcs.
15464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/22/13 , edited 7/22/13

bensonc120 wrote:
Everybody's input is welcome, but I'm especially interested in hearing from christians who believe that the bible is the undisputed word of god how they feel this story is even possible.


If that's the goal, I'll pass. Too confrontational for me Not-ignorant Atheist signing off.
Posted 7/22/13

Broshmosh wrote:


bensonc120 wrote:
Everybody's input is welcome, but I'm especially interested in hearing from christians who believe that the bible is the undisputed word of god how they feel this story is even possible.


If that's the goal, I'll pass. Too confrontational for me Not-ignorant Atheist signing off.


Same here.
12212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/22/13 , edited 7/22/13
25369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

CalifCat wrote:

A story arc is an extended or continuing storyline in episodic storytelling media such as television, comic books, comic strips, boardgames, video games, and in some cases, films. On a television program, for example, the story would unfold over many episodes. In television, the use of the story arc is much more common in dramas than in comedies, especially in soap operas. Webcomics are more likely to use story arcs than newspaper comics, as most web comics have readable archives online that a newcomer to the strip can read in order to understand what is going on. Although story arcs have existed for decades, the term "story arc" was coined in 1988 in relation to the television series Wiseguy,[1] and was quickly adapted for other uses.

Many American comic book series are now written in four or six-issue arcs, within a continuing series. Short story arcs are easier to package as trade paperbacks for resale, and more accessible to the casual reader than the never-ending continuity that once characterised comics.

Story arc usage in manga and anime

Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example, is a single story arc spanning 26 episodes. Other longer anime have multiple story arcs, such as Bleach, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. The anime Dragon Ball Z adapts four different story arcs from the Dragon Ball manga, each with its own ultimate antagonist, along with original story arcs created for the TV series.

Manga and anime are usually good examples of arc-based stories, to the point that most series shorter than 26 chapters are a single arc spanning all the chapters. This makes syndication difficult, as episodes watched in isolation often end up confusing viewers unless watched in conjunction with the series as a whole. Series of 30 chapters or longer usually have multiple arcs.


So basically, she just put the four-character "ark*" into five paragraphs.

Anyways, the Christians will say "yes," the non-religious will say "no," and the non-Christian religious people can go either way.
43300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

spectralMagician wrote:



And I'm not in the mood to go fishing.
Posted 7/22/13

mwhitco91 wrote:



Anyways, the Christians will say "yes," the non-religious will say "no," and the non-Christian religious people can go either way.


/thread. *hands everyone a cookie*

12212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

CalifCat wrote:


spectralMagician wrote:



And I'm not in the mood to go fishing.


< See profile pic
16753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

Broshmosh wrote:


bensonc120 wrote:
Everybody's input is welcome, but I'm especially interested in hearing from christians who believe that the bible is the undisputed word of god how they feel this story is even possible.


If that's the goal, I'll pass. Too confrontational for me Not-ignorant Atheist signing off.


Not sure how this is even confrontational. I have my beliefs but am interested in hearing the other side. There are christians who believe the biblical stories are actual history so am interested in how they come to that conclusion.
610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Straight Outta Co...
Offline
Posted 7/22/13
Meh I'm a Christian, but I don't believe this actually happened. I believe most things in the bible aren't meant to be taken word for word, but are more about the interpretation you get from the story itself.
16753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

IdkWhatToPutLol wrote:

Meh I'm a Christian, but I don't believe this actually happened. I believe most things in the bible aren't meant to be taken word for word, but are more about the interpretation you get from the story itself.


Thank you for answering. I've actually had this discussion with many of my christian friends, as well as with my cousin and uncle who are both pastors, and their view point is the same as yours. I just have a hard time grasping how people would take these stories for history, when their purpose is for teaching.
610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Straight Outta Co...
Offline
Posted 7/22/13

bensonc120 wrote:


IdkWhatToPutLol wrote:

Meh I'm a Christian, but I don't believe this actually happened. I believe most things in the bible aren't meant to be taken word for word, but are more about the interpretation you get from the story itself.


Thank you for answering. I've actually had this discussion with many of my christian friends, as well as with my cousin and uncle who are both pastors, and their view point is the same as yours. I just have a hard time grasping how people would take these stories for history, when their purpose is for teaching.


Very few followers of the bible take these stories literally. It's fairly obvious most of the stuff is impossible, like walking on water, however the stories do portray a certain message.
41933 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/22/13 , edited 7/22/13
Out of all the stories from the Bible, Noah's Ark is the most believable...

When considering these other stories:

- Earth and plants created before the Sun <---- scientifically impossible, has no metaphorical meaning

- Virgin birth -- I suppose the metaphorical meaning for this is that god has the power to perform any miracles

- A person living in a whale for one month... <--- ???
One Punch Mod
44480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/23/13

CalifCat wrote:

A story arc is an extended or continuing storyline in episodic storytelling media such as television, comic books, comic strips, boardgames, video games, and in some cases, films....

I was going to fix the spelling in the title. But now? Not.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.