First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Funimation
2323 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/13

bobland wrote:
I dislike their subs, they try too hard to localize them.


Mm... True, depending on what you watch. Whoever is in the back room doing the subbing thinks that people would rather have the idea or intention rather than the literal translation. This makes sense if you consider your audience as not having any understanding of Japanese culture, though it fails to recognize that people watch subs for two primary reasons:
1) It wasn't available in English dubbing
2) They WANT Japanese culture (and probably know something about it)

And not necessarily in that order.

Often times, though, you'll hear phrases like そう and そうね that could be translated as "Yeah, that" or "That's true, huh?" and instead (depending on the context) they translate it something like "Indeed" which, while it's the intention, it's obviously not even close to the original translation.

All that to say, I can see your point of view, and they're just missing their target audience. However, given that, in essence, their job is to localize anime, I doubt their practices are going to change much. *sigh*
24172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/13 , edited 7/24/13
I wish that they would cut a deal with Netflix or Crunchyroll to handle streaming their full catalog. Instead it's their own unusable site, Hulu with 90 second ads, and a smattering of shows on Crackle and Netflix still.

The only thing I could barely get to work with Funimation was their Roku app. And that's yet another crappy piece of third party software that they don't even pay attention to when it goes down.

Also not a single Funimation employee checks their forums or twitter or anything when site problems happen in the evenings or weekends. I think that they really need to join the 21st century as soon as possible if they truly want to do things online
35011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 7/24/13
Funimation has improved since the '90s. I have to give them that. Gone, at least, are the days when my friends and I had to pay $20 for a VHS that only had three episodes of DBZ on it ($30 for the subbed version).
16570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Reston, Virginia
Offline
Posted 7/24/13
I'm another person who has been frustrated with Funimation's website. I hope the issues with being able to login and video playback problems are resolved when they redo their site at the end of summer, but I don't expect them to be. I use to have an elite membership with them and I dropped it due to performance issues with their site.

I appreciate the work they do in dubbing anime and I doubt that it has a high margin of return. I just wish they would get their streaming service to work. Yes, they stream some stuff on Hulu, but not everything that is on their site (plus you need to deal with the ads). I just think their streaming service could be a revenue maker for them if they invested the money into their infrastructure to support the users who want to watch their content. If they aren't going to invest in their infrastructure, then they should license their library, dubs and subs, to Netflix or Amazon and allow it to be streamed through those services.

As for buying the DVDs, I prefer to stream content instead of own as I usually watch shows only once or twice. There are exceptions to this as my wife and I did by Chobits, Angelic Layer, and are slowing adding to our Studio Ghibli collection. but for the most part I just want to stream the content I want to see.
EmpReb 
19926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Incoming Air Stomp
Offline
Posted 7/24/13 , edited 7/24/13
I have been on an anime buying spree of late but I have been only buying what I think are defitive works or VERY standout shows. Gundamn 00 is one of those for me. I will stream any Gundam all day but 00 is standout one in my mind because of how the plot plays out. Black Lagoon too, Claymore, Cowboy Bebop, and really the anime that takes me to another world and leaves me wanting to go there or fearful to ever go there. I really don't like school shows (though I do have big love of FMP!) or the any of the other school aged shows.

Really, the school and MOE thing is a turn off for me when you got like Fate/Zero, Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass running around. Or heck The Future Diary which turns the idea of even being a in ANY one genre on its head. Funimation really for me has a lot of the best standouts in its collection and they are for cheap. Thats why I buy shows from them. They got the standouts and they worth the buy when you got DVD/Blue-ray combos for $30 running around.(Black Lagoon) Or the SAVE deals. Bang for buck really why I get anime from Funimation.
mipegg 
20408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/24/13
Arent they doing a HDification of 00? Or was that SEED
16902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Indiana
Offline
Posted 7/24/13 , edited 7/24/13
Well like the majority of people I really dislike their website. I used to pay for elite membership but canceled just last week. As much as I like funimation and want to support them, I just couldn't justify paying for something that doesn't work.

I will continue to buy dvd/blu-ray from them. I love their catalog and prices. Also I really like their dubs, although they tend to use the same handful of actors over and over.
EmpReb 
19926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Incoming Air Stomp
Offline
Posted 7/24/13

mipegg wrote:

Arent they doing a HDification of 00? Or was that SEED


For some reason Seed.... I kind of get it but really 00 just played out better.
The Wise Wizard
79351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/24/13 , edited 7/24/13

mipegg wrote:

Arent they doing a HDification of 00? Or was that SEED

Sunrise did the HD remaster of Seed and is currently doing the HD remaster of Seed Destiny. You can view both on the Gundam Info channel on YouTube (in glorious 480p):

Gundam Seed HD Remaster episodes (English subbed)

Gundam Seed Destiny Remaster episodes (English subbed)
NOTE: For some reason, this only goes up to episode 12, although the all subs list currently has up to episode 17, but you have to pick through them for the English subbed versions. Episodes are added once per week (at least to the "all subs" playlist).

The HD versions aren't just upscaled and cropped to 16:9. There is new animation, and a lack of the clip show episodes. Examples from Seed include the Gundam's head floating in space instead of Mu La Flaga's helmet.

Thus far for Seed Destiny the biggest change I noticed was Lunamaria flashing her panties when she leaned in to look at the Savior's cockpit.

Original version (top) vs. HD Remaster version:


They also currently have up to episode 20 of the first Gundam 00 series. As I recall, it was broadcast in HD to start with, so I don't expect a remaster for it:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx9Mtdug38sXsNKeYrhQswIy

12779 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 7/24/13
My views on Funimation? Well they are good for the anime industry as a whole. They compete against Viz and Crunchyroll and competition is always good. Sure I'd like to watch FMA, Law of Ueki and Hare + Guu here on CR but hey that's business. Now their business practices? A bit old school big hey they are still around and they are making money so they are doing something right. How they treat their fans? Well it's no better than any other company. They offer stream dubs and subs at okay prices and sell DVDs with more and more episodes on them to boost value. They have an awful lot of re-releases and don't give as much upfront with their free streaming accounts as others so there is a sense of greed there that's greater than other companies but they have a big business to run. What with licensing, subbing, dubbing, distributing, streaming and social networking. A lot of moving parts. I think they are beneficial to the industry and treat their fans reasonably well. It's not they are releasing 4 episodes as disc at $24.99 anymore...right?
49947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 7/24/13

EmpReb wrote:

I have been on an anime buying spree of late but I have been only buying what I think are defitive works or VERY standout shows. Gundamn 00 is one of those for me. I will stream any Gundam all day but 00 is standout one in my mind because of how the plot plays out. Black Lagoon too, Claymore, Cowboy Bebop, and really the anime that takes me to another world and leaves me wanting to go there or fearful to ever go there. I really don't like school shows (though I do have big love of FMP!) or the any of the other school aged shows.

Really, the school and MOE thing is a turn off for me when you got like Fate/Zero, Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass running around. Or heck The Future Diary which turns the idea of even being a in ANY one genre on its head. Funimation really for me has a lot of the best standouts in its collection and they are for cheap. Thats why I buy shows from them. They got the standouts and they worth the buy when you got DVD/Blue-ray combos for $30 running around.(Black Lagoon) Or the SAVE deals. Bang for buck really why I get anime from Funimation.


What exactly do you mean mean by "school aged shows"? As in the character's ages or the setting? Both? Something else?

25450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Indiana
Offline
Posted 7/24/13
I really like FUNimation. Their streaming service has HUGE potential (they could definitely compete with Crunchyroll in terms of user base if they fixed some of their issues) because of their gigantic catalog, and the fact they're a titan in Western licensing. My only complaint is that their website needs to be drastically overhauled and servers need to be upgraded. As to their dub problems, I have no opinion because my preference is sub, 100%.

I feel like they get a lot of hate because it's easy to hate them. Kinda like EA.
24172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/13
I don't think that Funimation employs a single programmer, they actually seem kind of resistant to it for some reason. They've been at the game for two years now and there hasn't been a single improvement in their service. So I have a lot of doubts that this site update that they've been mentioning any chance they can get to quell the complaints will actually do anything. I seriously think it's mostly a stop gap measure to keep customers from leaving right now.

After this summer is over and they've thrown some minor patch on the site to save face, it'll probably be something else.
EmpReb 
19926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Incoming Air Stomp
Offline
Posted 7/24/13

TheAncientOne wrote:


mipegg wrote:

Arent they doing a HDification of 00? Or was that SEED

Sunrise did the HD remaster of Seed and is currently doing the HD remaster of Seed Destiny. You can view both on the Gundam Info channel on YouTube (in glorious 480p):

Gundam Seed HD Remaster episodes (English subbed)

Gundam Seed Destiny Remaster episodes (English subbed)
NOTE: For some reason, this only goes up to episode 12, although the all subs list currently has up to episode 17, but you have to pick through them for the English subbed versions. Episodes are added once per week (at least to the "all subs" playlist).

The HD versions aren't just upscaled and cropped to 16:9. There is new animation, and a lack of the clip show episodes. Examples from Seed include the Gundam's head floating in space instead of Mu La Flaga's helmet.

Thus far for Seed Destiny the biggest change I noticed was Lunamaria flashing her panties when she leaned in to look at the Savior's cockpit.

Original version (top) vs. HD Remaster version:


They also currently have up to episode 20 of the first Gundam 00 series. As I recall, it was broadcast in HD to start with, so I don't expect a remaster for it:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx9Mtdug38sXsNKeYrhQswIy



Well all that comfirms is fanservice has gotten worse and I still say 00 was better over all. Back to the funi stuff. YEah they got to fix that NOW. I mean they have the selection but Hulu as most of their shows and in a much more stable form.
17447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alpha Qudrant Sec...
Offline
Posted 7/24/13

Balzack wrote:

I don't think that Funimation employs a single programmer, they actually seem kind of resistant to it for some reason. They've been at the game for two years now and there hasn't been a single improvement in their service. So I have a lot of doubts that this site update that they've been mentioning any chance they can get to quell the complaints will actually do anything. I seriously think it's mostly a stop gap measure to keep customers from leaving right now.

After this summer is over and they've thrown some minor patch on the site to save face, it'll probably be something else.


Yeah the site has/had been pretty bad. I still can't believe the paid some company to manage their servers. The forums behaved as if the information was being relayed from where you were to Mars to then back
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.